The Mohican Board! [Bumppo's Redux!]
The Mohican Board! [Bumppo's Redux!]
10/12/2024 1:24:48 AM
On the Trail...Home | Old Mohican Board Archives | Purpose
Events | Polls | Photos | Classifieds | Downloads
Profile | Register | Members | Private Messages
Search | Posting Tips | FAQ | Web Links | Mohican Chat | Blogs
Forum Bookmarks | Unanswered Posts | Preview Topic Photos | Active Topics
Invite a Friend to the Mohican Board | Guestbook | Greeting Cards | Auction (0) | Colonial Recipe Book
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 LAST OF THE MOHICANS
 The Last of the Mohicans ...
 The ONE True Hero ...
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
| More
Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Previous Page | Next Page

Author Previous Topic: Why did Alice really jump? Topic Next Topic: Love or not love?  THAT, is the question!
Page: of 5

Obediah
Mohicanland Statesman

Skull 5
USA

Bumppo's Patron since [at least]:
August 16 2006

Donating Member

Posted - October 03 2006 :  7:50:58 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
I understand that the Redcoat who we all love to hate (aka, "BBQ'd Brit") was extremely popular with the law enforcement community of the day, after all, didn't he start that food chain, "Duncan Donuts"?
report to moderator Go to Top of Page

Emily
Colonial Settler

Cora 4
USA

January 08 2005

Posted - October 03 2006 :  10:14:06 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
NO Obediah! I didnn't take it that way at all and I wasn't offended. I just think it's great here! Ha, I kind of like people thinking were too far behind to bother with. It keeps all of them away! More room for me....! Besides, from what little I've seen from the some of these other "great cities", sheesh, I don't want that junk in here...! We make enough of our own I guess to make up the difference, but I won't go into that..
Duncan Donuts?! Bravo on that one...
But, BBQ'd Donuts?
Where did you come from before Kentucky, Light of the Moon?
And yes voting for the redcoat! I know he's not exactly the kind of stuff dreams are made of but, hey, the man had guts, you'll have to admit that...

"It is the unknown we fear when looking upon death and darkness, nothing more."

Light of the Moon
Mohicanland Statesman

Car in Fog
USA

December 18 2004

Posted - October 04 2006 :  07:36:50 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by Emily

NO Obediah! I didnn't take it that way at all and I wasn't offended. I just think it's great here! Ha, I kind of like people thinking were too far behind to bother with. It keeps all of them away!

Not really, I'm here! My friend is here and she travels the world like there's no tomorrow. And I know a lot of models I've worked with are feelin' it too. Not that I want that "sheesh" from the other cities but it would be nice for people here to not get freeked out by something different or new. I've also seen in other places that when you pass on a street and tell a stranger "hi" they actually say "hi" back w/out thinking, "What the?"
Leave it to the tri-state.

quote:
BBQ'd Donuts?
It's not BBQ and especially not on Doughnuts. Just add a little spice w/out a panic...now that's an achievment!

quote:
Where did you come from before Kentucky, Light of the Moon?

A little bit of everywhere (go figure). Indiana, South Carolina, Ohio, Virginia, New Mexico, Colorado....

quote:
I know he's not exactly the kind of stuff dreams are made of but, hey, the man had guts, you'll have to admit that...

Yeah, I think his final act was very noble, even said that on some post in here.

Obediah
Mohicanland Statesman

Skull 5
USA

August 16 2006

Donating Member

Posted - October 11 2006 :  10:14:24 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
I just noticed; Chingachgeezer got another voted today!

Irishgirl
Council of Elders

Irish Girl Avatar
USA

February 14 2006

Donating Member

Posted - October 11 2006 :  11:27:44 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
Well good for Chingy. Still can't believe he is in fourth place after Mr BBQ. Even BBQ got more votes than Magua. Now me, personally, I would take Magua over roasted, toasted Duncan any day. Rather live in a tepee with Magua than in splendour in London with Mr Hoity Toity Duncan. At least Magua was a "real man" and could keep a girl "happy". I keep wondering who the others are that got 2 votes.

IG

Irishgirl
Council of Elders

Irish Girl Avatar
USA

February 14 2006

Donating Member

Posted - October 11 2006 :  11:30:58 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
Chingachgeezer Really Obi you are a naught boy aren't you??

IG

Light of the Moon
Mohicanland Statesman

Car in Fog
USA

December 18 2004

Posted - October 13 2006 :  10:16:08 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
I think we'll have to face it Irish...we'd rather live in a tipi w/a NA man anyday!

I live in my own little world - but that's okay, they know me here!

Obediah
Mohicanland Statesman

Skull 5
USA

August 16 2006

Donating Member

Posted - October 17 2006 :  10:58:40 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
quote:
I think we'll have to face it Irish...we'd rather live in a tipi w/a NA man anyday!

That really doesn't cut it down a whole lot; read my signature!

Irishgirl
Council of Elders

Irish Girl Avatar
USA

February 14 2006

Donating Member

Posted - October 17 2006 :  1:04:50 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
quote:
[i]Originally posted by Obediah

Geeze Obi you know what we mean alright

I guess we are just being PC these days as some don't like to be called "Indians" anymore I don't care what we call them, I just them. Now I think I will have visions of tepees and big strapping "Indian" men in my head the rest of the day

Toodles

IG

Emily
Colonial Settler

Cora 4
USA

January 08 2005

Posted - October 17 2006 :  2:49:21 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
Sorry Light of the Moon. I didn't mean I wanted you to move! I just get tired of hearing my friends put Kentucky down all of the time. I didn't mean to offend.
Duncan beat Magua? Now I didn't really see that coming...

"It is the unknown we fear when looking upon death and darkness, nothing more."

RedFraggle
Mohicanite

Redhead

October 13 2006

Posted - October 18 2006 :  09:52:18 AM  Show Profile  Visit RedFraggle's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
Hi, all!

I thought I'd weigh in on the "one true hero" issue too. I have to admit I voted a while back while I was just a "lurker," but here goes anyway...

I chose Duncan. True, he is "hoity toity"--as I think someone said above--but he DID choose to sacrifice himself to save a woman he was (apparently) very much in love with, even though the feelings weren't reciprocated. Clearly he knew there was no way out of the situation once he volunteered himself, since he told Hawkeye to take Cora and get her as far away as possible. He knew there would be no opportunity for rescue, and yet he volunteered to die in a very grisly way so that Cora could continue to live in the way that she had chosen to live--with Hawkeye.

So he dies AND concedes Cora to someone else. I think that shows some definite growth of character since his lie to Munro about the war party, and it's also pretty darned noble, if you ask me. I know I'm in the minority here by picking Duncan, but I have to admit that I always have this terrible feeling of dread when I see the scene in which Hawkeye shoots him. I always think, "Oh, come on! There must be SOME way to save him!" Maybe he was a total prig earlier in the movie, but I think he redeems himself in the end.

So, that's my soapbox. Feel free to disagree--that just makes these postings more fun. :)

--RedFraggle

Oh, by the by, nice pun with "Duncan Donuts."

Light of the Moon
Mohicanland Statesman

Car in Fog
USA

December 18 2004

Posted - October 18 2006 :  3:10:55 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by Irishgirl

quote:
[i]Originally posted by Obediah

Geeze Obi you know what we mean alright

I guess we are just being PC these days as some don't like to be called "Indians" anymore I don't care what we call them, I just them. Now I think I will have visions of tepees and big strapping "Indian" men in my head the rest of the day

Toodles

Here-Here!!!

Light of the Moon
Mohicanland Statesman

Car in Fog
USA

December 18 2004

Posted - November 05 2006 :  01:13:44 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by Emily

Sorry Light of the Moon. I didn't mean I wanted you to move! I just get tired of hearing my friends put Kentucky down all of the time. I didn't mean to offend.
Duncan beat Magua? Now I didn't really see that coming...

No offense taken, Emily. None at all. And I didn't think you wanted me to move. But hey girl, I can understand your frustration about the rib roastin' KY gets, even seen it on Jay Leno.

My cousin is also good at it.
He moved up here from TN and started making cousin loving comments about KY (I'm sure you've heard them before).
My defense was as follows: "As I recall when we were younger you and your TN friends developed a saying, 'Why go across the street when you can go across the hall?'" He about choked on his soda!
Since then it's been a big roasting festival between us.

And Irish, I just caught a post of yours that says, "At least Magua was a "real man" and could keep a girl happy."
My mouth about hit the floor! You? Irish? Leaning toward Magua. Gasp! What would Uncas think?
Magua was a "real man" alright but keeping the girl happy? I'd have to think on that for a while. What if Alice had lived? He didn't want to marry her, he wanted to scalp that blonde hair right off her head! (At least she couldn't have any more bad hair days)
The part that throws me on this whole concept is the final scene where his weakens under Alice's gaze. That kinda' make you think he may be more than rough edges and tomahawks.
That dude's a two edged sword!

Irishgirl
Council of Elders

Irish Girl Avatar
USA

February 14 2006

Donating Member

Posted - November 05 2006 :  08:53:36 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
I'm not sure he would have scalped Alice at all. He may have kept her as a wife. I stick by my words Light that he "could keep a girl happy". C'mon you know I was referring to "something else" not about everyday life. He did show some compassion when he beckoned to Alice to come towards him. If he wanted to kill her why do that, why not just let her jump or push her off himself. I believe that underneath all the hatred that was inside Magua over the loss of his family, there was a softer, kinder side which we never got to see. Had he lived who knows what transformation might have taken place now that he had gotten his "revenge".

IG

Light of the Moon
Mohicanland Statesman

Car in Fog
USA

December 18 2004

Posted - November 05 2006 :  9:21:18 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
quote:

I'm not sure he would have scalped Alice at all. He may have kept her as a wife. I stick by my words Light that he "could keep a girl happy". C'mon you know I was referring to "something else" not about everyday life. He did show some compassion when he beckoned to Alice to come towards him. If he wanted to kill her why do that, why not just let her jump or push her off himself. I believe that underneath all the hatred that was inside Magua over the loss of his family, there was a softer, kinder side which we never got to see. Had he lived who knows what transformation might have taken place now that he had gotten his "revenge".

You did? Oh...blond moment! I gotcha' now...it all makes sence. Thanks Irish for the explaination!

All the same he does have a flip side.

Alice
Lost in the Wilderness

Italy

March 07 2006

Posted - November 06 2006 :  09:06:02 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
For me the hero is only uncas..
He died for love..

Alice

Grande Spirito, e creatore della vita, un guerriero va a te, veloce e dritto come una freccia lanciata nel sole. Da lui benvenuto, e lascia lui prendere posto in Gran Consiglio di mio popolo. E' Uncas, mio figlio. Dì lui di essere paziente, e da' a me una rapida morte, perchè loro sono tutti là, meno uno, io, Chingachgook, l'Ultimo dei Mohicani.

Lady of Glencairn
Colonial Settler

Prison Break - Sara Tancredi
South Africa

May 29 2004

Posted - November 07 2006 :  07:26:56 AM  Show Profile  Visit Lady of Glencairn's Homepage  Click to see Lady of Glencairn's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
quote:

Light, heres something else to add to that new screenplay!!

Lady of Glencairn
"Love is the triumph of imagination over intelligence" - H.L. Mencken

Light of the Moon
Mohicanland Statesman

Car in Fog
USA

December 18 2004

Posted - November 07 2006 :  11:45:11 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
GOOD IDEA! Thanks Lady!

Dancer
Pioneer

Chieftain
USA

November 29 2006

Posted - December 11 2006 :  10:46:20 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
I voted for Duncan because he managed to maintain his duty as a solider throughout it all. He could have run away or thought only of his own scalp but he always put others before himself. The scene where he gave himself to the Huron's in Cora's place was by far the most heroic and selfless act I have ever seen. He even managed to hide his fear when he was being tied to the pole!

"I teach the dance...the passion is yours to find."

Light of the Moon
Mohicanland Statesman

Car in Fog
USA

December 18 2004

Posted - December 11 2006 :  11:35:45 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by Dancer

I voted for Duncan because he managed to maintain his duty as a solider throughout it all. He could have run away or thought only of his own scalp but he always put others before himself. The scene where he gave himself to the Huron's in Cora's place was by far the most heroic and selfless act I have ever seen. He even managed to hide his fear when he was being tied to the pole!

I'm shocked he didn't run away! He cowarded under Col. Munroe's authority and told a direct lie at the cost of several innocent lives out in the frontier.
(Sorry...not a Duncan Doughnut fan...no matter how noble his last act was.)

Dancer
Pioneer

Chieftain
USA

November 29 2006

Posted - December 12 2006 :  12:08:15 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
Well, he does have his flaws and I do not care much for his character but I will give him a pat on his bbq'ed back!

Light of the Moon
Mohicanland Statesman

Car in Fog
USA

December 18 2004

Posted - December 12 2006 :  01:06:34 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
Take care not to pat too hard. Roasty Toasty may go to pieces on ya'!

Dancer
Pioneer

Chieftain
USA

November 29 2006

Posted - December 12 2006 :  1:46:24 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
True...maybe he would like some vaseline! Or some super strength lotion.

Light of the Moon
Mohicanland Statesman

Car in Fog
USA

December 18 2004

Posted - December 13 2006 :  09:44:27 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by Dancer

True...maybe he would like some vaseline! Or some super strength lotion.

Forget all that...just find a sore spot and poke it real good!

HuronHarpie
Pathfinder

USA

August 01 2002

Donating Member

Posted - August 15 2010 :  1:18:39 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
Okay everyone, it has been a long, long time since I posted on the board, but PLEASSEEEEEEE! The sxiest and most heroic is Magua, of course. I just HAD to jump in on this poll!

Ros, the Huron Harpie!

Rosalinda Haddon
Page: of 5 Previous Topic: Why did Alice really jump? Topic Next Topic: Love or not love?  THAT, is the question!  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
| More
Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Jump To:

Around The Site:
~ What's New? ~
Pathfinding | Mohican Gatherings | Mohican Musings | LOTM Script | History | Musical Musings | Storefronts on the Frontier
Off the Beaten Trail | Links
Of Special Interest:
The Eric Schweig Gallery | From the Ramparts | The Listening Room | Against All Odds | The Video Clips Index

DISCLAIMER
Tune, 40, used by permission - composed by Ron Clarke

Custom Search

The Mohican Board! [Bumppo's Redux!] © 1997-2024 - Mohican Press Go To Top Of Page
Current Mohicanland page raised in 0.52 seconds Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.07