The Mohican Board! [Bumppo's Redux!]
The Mohican Board! [Bumppo's Redux!]
10/11/2024 5:19:49 PM
On the Trail...Home | Old Mohican Board Archives | Purpose
Events | Polls | Photos | Classifieds | Downloads
Profile | Register | Members | Private Messages
Search | Posting Tips | FAQ | Web Links | Mohican Chat | Blogs
Forum Bookmarks | Unanswered Posts | Preview Topic Photos | Active Topics
Invite a Friend to the Mohican Board | Guestbook | Greeting Cards | Auction (0) | Colonial Recipe Book
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 LAST OF THE MOHICANS
 The Last of the Mohicans ...
 Love or not love? THAT, is the question!
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
| More
Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic

Author Previous Topic: The ONE True Hero ... Topic Next Topic: Maguas breechcloth and leggings design  

UncasLover13
Colonial Settler

USA

Bumppo's Patron since [at least]:
May 17 2004

Posted - December 23 2004 :  9:25:11 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Poll Question:
So, we all know Uncas loved Alice. However, I've gone through posts from people with totally different opinions on whether Alice loved Uncas. Personally, I think she did love him. But I wanna know what you all think? Did she love Uncas or not? And why or why not do you think so? I mean, if I were Alice, I would find it hard NOT to fall in love with him!

--UL13

Choices:

Yes, definitely!
No way!

report to moderator

chasis_22
Colonial Settler

Mohican Brothers
USA

April 19 2003

Posted - March 20 2005 :  3:54:26 PM  Show Profile  Send chasis_22 a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
I say yes she loved him. I am sticking to my guns on my belief that she loved him so much but was too innocent to know how to show it ( and a little too tramatized). Her love for him was also the reason why she threw herself off the cliff....she wanted to be with Uncas in Death since she could not do so in life.
report to moderator Go to Top of Page

Christina
Deerslayer

Vampire
USA

May 27 2002

Posted - March 22 2005 :  2:39:54 PM  Show Profile  Visit Christina's Homepage  Send Christina an AOL message  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
I'm part of that probably distinctly unpopular minority that thinks that Alice was too brain-addled and traumatized to be fully "in love" with Uncas. Did she find him attractive? Sure. Did she find his presence and his care for her resassuring? Sure. Had many fans' wishes come true and we actually got a love scene, would it have been steamy? Sure! The best love scenes often take place during traumatic situations. However, I think Alice was such an "indigent skooger" (invalid schoolgirl -- it's a joke early folk from the Mohicanboard of yore will remember) that she was not capable at the time of being REALLY in love. If Uncas hadn't been skewered by Magua and Alice hadn't gone airborne over the cliff, who knows? They probably would have been a great couple. Just my two cents...

See this face? This is the face of a woman on the edge.
Whoopi Goldberg, "Jumping Jack Flash"

Light of the Moon
Mohicanland Statesman

Car in Fog
USA

December 18 2004

Posted - March 22 2005 :  4:00:58 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
Of course she loved him. Would you jump from a cliff for a man you didn't love???

Lurking Huron2427
Anonymous Guest

November 27 2002

Posted - March 22 2005 :  4:54:57 PM  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
depends how much of a muppet you are really :S
I think alice did love him, either way it was clear that she didnt want to live without him. Alice and uncas are far more interesting that Cora and hawkeye :D
If anyone knows where i could find some more fanfiction on Alice/Uncas please let me know @ puddykat86@hotmail.com
ive only found a few stories at fanfiction.net

puddykat
Lost in the Wilderness

Alice

March 22 2005

Posted - March 22 2005 :  5:00:22 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
sorry that was me ^^^ i didnt realise i wasnt logged in :S

silentthunder
Pioneer

Hawkeye 4
USA

December 15 2004

Posted - March 22 2005 :  10:22:24 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
I'm in the same vote as Christina. I believe Uncas loved Alice, but Alice didn't love him in return. It's my believe that she jumped only out of fear for Magua. The beauty of this movie is that thirteen years later, it still has everyone debating this same issue.

Mitaku Oyasin...
We are all related

chasis_22
Colonial Settler

Mohican Brothers
USA

April 19 2003

Posted - March 23 2005 :  4:17:26 PM  Show Profile  Send chasis_22 a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
Yep we are all sticking to our guns and undoubtablly this debate will go on for another thirteen years! How many other movies have this same response?! See The Last of the Mohicans is without a doubt the very best movie ever!

Dillon1836
Deerslayer

richfed
USA

July 17 2003

Posted - March 23 2005 :  5:40:50 PM  Show Profile  Visit Dillon1836's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
I think she loved him. I mean, you see her nearly breaking down to cry when Magua uses his knife on Uncas. The love is there.

www.alamosentry.com

eilan
Pathfinder

March 16 2005

Posted - March 24 2005 :  11:09:07 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
ABSOLUTELY YES!!!!! I totally believe Alice loved Uncas...she jumped off the cliff to join him...is not that clear??

chasis_22
Colonial Settler

Mohican Brothers
USA

April 19 2003

Posted - March 24 2005 :  2:55:13 PM  Show Profile  Send chasis_22 a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
I've put a lot of thought into this debate and naturally I want to believe that Alice is in love with Uncas but at the same time I can see the other side of the arguements. For exapmle:

1. Her breaking down and crying when Uncas got slashed....she could've been thinking he was her only hope for a rescue or perhaps she was just so tired of seeing all the massacre.
2. Jumping off a cliff...well maybe she went insane from being exposed to so much blood and evil when only a week ago she was sipping tea in her beautiful gowns. Or again maybe she was tired of all of the trama.

Either way this is a debate that has no resolution. I think MM purposely did that to drive us all nutts but either way it is fun to be able to pick your own versions of the love stories portrayed in the movie.

Stephanie
Gathering Sachemess

Hiking Smurf Avatar
USA

June 23 2002

Donating Member

Posted - March 24 2005 :  3:42:53 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
I agree with some of what you say, chasis 22. It could certainly have been shock and trauma that drove her to jump. I also agree that some of her despair at Uncas' death was because that may have been her last hope of rescue. The look of disgust on her face might even have been from seeing blood, something this fine young lady wouldn't have been used to at all.
For all of those who can only see romance between Uncas and Alice (and I'm not saying there WASN'T any, just presenting another possibility), let's for a moment put Duncan in Uncas' role for the last few minutes of the movie. Alice knew and liked Duncan, and he had gallantly tried to defend the girls on the George Rd. So pretend for a moment that Uncas is taken to burn in the Huron fires and it is Duncan that runs up the cliff to rescue Alice. Had he been able to, he certainly would have tried. At the first gush of blood Duncan receives from Magua's knife, do you think Alice's reaction would have been any different? I don't think so. Here was a friend, a protector, butchered before her eyes. I think her reaction would have been exactly as it was with Uncas. And when Magua pushes Duncan off the cliff, don't you think Alice would have totally lost it and given up all hope at that point as well? I think she would have, and not because there was any romance involved.
What if she had seen Cora get slashed and butchered and pushed off the mountain? What would her reation have been? I think she would have done exactly what she did upon seeing Uncas killed. These things would be just human reaction to trauma, grief, and shock... I just don't see that there is much room for romance in all that.
jmho,
Stephanie

puddykat
Lost in the Wilderness

Alice

March 22 2005

Posted - March 24 2005 :  5:23:46 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
that may be so but i dont think thats what the director intended. I hope that Alice and uncas loved each other, they definately had romantic feelings towards each other.
But how comes your all so sure that Uncas was head over heals in love for Alice? he never says it, its clear that he cares..but there is no mention of love.
In all honesty we will never know how they both felt, thats the beauty of film, you are meant to interpretit in your own way. I like to think they cared (even loved) for each other a great deal, because their story in my opinion is one of the major pros to this film.

silentthunder
Pioneer

Hawkeye 4
USA

December 15 2004

Posted - March 25 2005 :  12:22:02 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
Everyone has made good points to back up their claim. I must agree with every word Stephanie stated. I also did not see any room for romance in between Alice and Uncas. I will like to mention that it seemed as if Uncas loved Alice, only because he died trying to save her. That is enough evidence to back up this statement. Again, Alice did not love Uncas. At no point in the movie did she even say a word to the guy, that alone makes it obvious that she had no love interest in Uncas. Here are some facts about "true love" being expressed in the movie:

* In the village scene, both Hawkeye and Duncan offer to die in exchange for Cora to live!! (Instead poor Duncan is roasted like a pig)
* Uncas dies by the hands of Magua, trying to save Alice!! (What a waste of a beautiful man)

Now the above comments are evidence of true love being expressed in the movie. Again, at no point did Alice ever show any proof that she loved Uncas. Yes she jumped off the cliff, only because out of fear for what Magua would have done to her. (Hey, I would have jumped too)
She must have thought Uncas was her last hope of being rescued.

** I have an idea of how to settle this debate for good. We should all grab our torches and go to MM's house, tie him down and duck tape him. Then, we can force him to release a final scene with Uncas and Alice proving to us of whether they were in love or not. We can also force him to release all the deleted scenes he has locked probably somewhere in his attic.

Mitaku Oyasin...
We are all related

chasis_22
Colonial Settler

Mohican Brothers
USA

April 19 2003

Posted - March 25 2005 :  10:27:07 AM  Show Profile  Send chasis_22 a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
I am all for the torches and duct tape. Torture if necessary! But to comment on the whole comparison of Duncan and Alice I would have to disagree.

Throughout the movie she has seen our wonderful Mohicans rescue Duncan and everyone else time after time. I think she would have been sad to see Duncan die but I think Uncas' death had a greater impact on her.

Putting myself in her shoes... this is what I would see.

A silent but strong young Indian who knows nothing about me has continuously put his life on the line for me. He comes to rescue me alone when he could've waited ten more minutes and made the attempt with everyone else. Each wound that is inflicted by Magua does not stop his persistance in saving my life. The final look he gives me right before Magua twists the knife in his belly says to me "I loved you enough to try but I have failed you..please forgive me".

Now at this point she knows that there is a chance Cora is still alive...undoubtablly Haweye would do the same for Cora that Uncas did for her. She chose to take the dive off the cliff anyways. That tells me that she had a lot more involved with Uncas than what they let on.

White Feather
Pathfinder

Alice

April 10 2008

Posted - April 13 2008 :  01:51:04 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
I dont know...
Maybe it was like a bunch of mixed emotions in her final decision: jumping.
Yes, it was the fear of what would Magua do to her and the desesperation of not knowing what else to do if her only hope -Uncas- was killed in front of her eyes. Basically there was no escape from pain and a miserable life besides Magua (and I dont know why I have this feeling that even with Uncas alive she wouldve never fully accepted the idea of changing her way of living, you know...England was way to different to the place the Mohicans lived-)
Ok, back to the topic...LOVE between them? Hell YEAH!
Of course there was love between those two!
You just don't give your life for pride or in order to show everyone how brave you are.... but for love!
Remember that waterfall scene...come on! You won't hug and comfort and tell someone to calm down in a delicate/subtle way! Eventhough they knew each other for a couple of days, the attraction and love was shown by the way he was rocking her to sleep and almost gave her a tiny kiss on the top of her forehead, and God knows what else happened in that cave!
Thank you MM for not telling us and making a hell of a confusion here!
Hehe.
=)

Light of the Moon
Mohicanland Statesman

Car in Fog
USA

December 18 2004

Posted - April 16 2008 :  8:56:57 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
Jump for love or jump to keep from being the bride of Magua.....

Maybe it was both...although I think I would have settled for Magua's bride before taking my own life. I could torment him with incriminating stares and the like....

I live in my own little world - but that's okay, they know me here!

Michelle
Pioneer

Mask
United Kingdom

February 02 2008

Posted - April 23 2008 :  7:36:15 PM  Show Profile  Visit Michelle's Homepage  Click to see Michelle's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply

Gosh..alot of deep thoughts on there feelings...i do admire the film so much....such a delicate and well told story....but yes the love was there...this was so clear from even when they met i feel,Alice is very frail-yes,but at the same time living in limbo/as what is going on...and her eldest sister Cora..is also her guardian..remember/so meeting Uncas...well...definately feelings shared from both charactors.I do feel ita a shame the film ended so sad/as i felt the only strong scenes -love secenes were with Alice/Uncas-which made a great impact once they both established a feeling of a form of love-compasion building.Alice and Uncas~~Love is ...I would definately love to to see them delted scenes of Alice and Uncas,who would not..would enlighten us alot more and we would all see the true insignt of their relationship as it built.

Hi,im very much Interested in joining you all.I would love to know more about this venture.This would be my first time/so making new freinds in this community would be amazing.

nipponophile
Pathfinder

November 11 2008

Posted - November 11 2008 :  10:52:44 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
OF COURSE Alice loved Uncas. By virtue of her young age, and the truncated nature of their relationship, her love did not have the opportunity to mature as much as it otherwise might have, but to me, Alice's reaction to watching Uncas die, her look down towards her dead lover at the edge of the cliff and the suddenly steely, calm resolve with which she turns to face Magua after this, before then jumping to join Uncas, speaks of love for her Mohican not just fear of the Huron.

LadyofTheLake
Lost in the Wilderness

Alice

February 27 2012

Posted - February 27 2012 :  05:06:59 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
Come on guys, it's obvious they both have feelings for each other...that's what the final scene implies! Don't forget that people deeply involved in the movie, like Eric Schweig, told it. That there is a love scene filmed but cut out.

And most of all, Alice MUST have known help was about to come, that Hawkeye and Chingachgook wouldn't have abandon her. For what other reason she looked down at Uncas before jumping, and in the script is said "she falls to her death next to Uncas"? For what other reason MM would've shown Alice and Uncas' bodies lying SIDE BY SIDE on the rocks at the bottom of the cliffs???

And she has no fear of Magua, she didn't jump because of it! It's clearly written in the script she's calm and paceful not frightened!
  Previous Topic: The ONE True Hero ... Topic Next Topic: Maguas breechcloth and leggings design  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
| More
Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Jump To:

Around The Site:
~ What's New? ~
Pathfinding | Mohican Gatherings | Mohican Musings | LOTM Script | History | Musical Musings | Storefronts on the Frontier
Off the Beaten Trail | Links
Of Special Interest:
The Eric Schweig Gallery | From the Ramparts | The Listening Room | Against All Odds | The Video Clips Index

DISCLAIMER
Tune, 40, used by permission - composed by Ron Clarke

Custom Search

The Mohican Board! [Bumppo's Redux!] © 1997-2024 - Mohican Press Go To Top Of Page
Current Mohicanland page raised in 0.55 seconds Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.07