The Mohican Board! [Bumppo's Redux!]
The Mohican Board! [Bumppo's Redux!]
10/11/2024 9:25:25 PM
On the Trail...Home | Old Mohican Board Archives | Purpose
Events | Polls | Photos | Classifieds | Downloads
Profile | Register | Members | Private Messages
Search | Posting Tips | FAQ | Web Links | Mohican Chat | Blogs
Forum Bookmarks | Unanswered Posts | Preview Topic Photos | Active Topics
Invite a Friend to the Mohican Board | Guestbook | Greeting Cards | Auction (0) | Colonial Recipe Book
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 LAST OF THE MOHICANS
 The Last of the Mohicans ...
 Why did Alice really jump?
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
| More
Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Next Page

Author Previous Topic: fanfiction password Topic Next Topic: The ONE True Hero ...
Page: of 8

chasis_22
Colonial Settler

Mohican Brothers
USA

Bumppo's Patron since [at least]:
April 19 2003

Posted - May 04 2003 :  06:03:22 AM  Show Profile  Send chasis_22 a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Poll Question:
After talking to my sister about the Last of the Mohicans we got hung up on one part. We couldn't agree on why it was exactly that Alice jumped. What is your opinion?

Choices:

She loved Uncas
He gave his life for her so she returned the favor
Fear of what Magua was going to do to her
Just another symptom of an invalid school girl

report to moderator

morgaine
Pioneer

USA

May 19 2002

Posted - May 04 2003 :  12:10:09 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
I think she loved Uncas and could not go on without him. It was the bravest act of her life to join him in death. I think that your second choice is applicable too.
report to moderator Go to Top of Page

Wilderness Woman
Watcher of the Wood

Young George Washington
USA

November 27 2002

Donating Member

Posted - May 04 2003 :  4:01:21 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
There has been much discussion on this topic here on the boards, and it's always fun.

I know that I said this before somewhere, but I will repeat it here. (Sorry, guys!) In watching the video version of the movie, I saw absolutely no sign from Alice that she loved Uncas. He loved her, yes, but I could not see that she returned the feeling. He gave his life attempting to rescue her, but I don't feel that she jumped because of that. And I think the "invalid schoolgirl" grew up immensely in that scene (the close-up of her face and her head turning in slow motion showed a brave young woman who was resigned to her fate, not an invalid schoolgirl), so I don't think that was why she jumped.

I voted for "She was afraid of what Magua would do..." She was very frightened and could not face what lay ahead for her... no matter what it might be... so she took what was to her the least horrible road... and jumped.

Scott Bubar
Colonial Militia

USA

May 17 2002

Posted - May 04 2003 :  5:42:31 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
She was having a bad hair day.

~~Aim small, miss small.

Wilderness Woman
Watcher of the Wood

Young George Washington
USA

November 27 2002

Donating Member

Posted - May 04 2003 :  5:51:20 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by Scott Bubar

She was having a bad hair day.

Yeah, Scott... we know... she should have used Bear Grease!

Brenda
Pioneer

Wink
Canada

June 17 2002

Posted - May 04 2003 :  10:30:30 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
I voted for "she loved Uncas", but think that it was probably a combination of loving Uncas and fear of Magua. Alice made a decision not to continue after Uncas' death and found strength in that decision. That is what I read in the expression on her face just before she jumps.

“They say that you're never as wise as when you're a child. We'll never think that clearly again.”
From Arlington Road (1999)

Highlander
Colonial Militia

Bushy Run painting
USA

February 04 2003

Posted - May 04 2003 :  11:05:27 PM  Show Profile  Visit Highlander's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
I'd say that it was a little bit of everything

Highlander

chasis_22
Colonial Settler

Mohican Brothers
USA

April 19 2003

Posted - May 06 2003 :  4:28:38 PM  Show Profile  Send chasis_22 a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
Well, I watch the movie a lot and always seem torn as to why she jumped. My sister told me that in those days they would have raped her and possibly killed her. My own personal opinion is that she might not have shown that she was in love with Uncas the way that he way that he showed his love for her. Perhaps she never noticed his affections towards her until she saw him sacrafice his life for her. When she turned away she knew he was going to die and maybe it was then that she realized why it was that he was doing it. Especially with the look he gave her. Uncas, Chingachgook, and Hawkeye spent the entire movie rescuing them. Maybe seeing Uncas come after her own his own proved a point. I don't think she feared Magua anymore and wanted to show him that. I think if she was still afraid of him she would have kept her head down and done whatever he wanted. Her backing up to the end of the cliff not only showed Magua that she wasn't afraid but also shows that she has overcome her invalid school girl image. I believe that she knew Hawkeye and Chingachgook would come shortly after Uncas. So I think she jumped because she loved Uncas and became brave enough to end her life for him...the way he did for her. Everyone can interpret the movie in their own perspectives but this is what I see when I watch the movie.

Lurking Huron0901
Anonymous Guest

November 27 2002

Posted - May 06 2003 :  9:37:43 PM  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
Hi,

I have watched LOTM many times. I am touched by the love between Hwakeye and Cora, but the subtle love story between Uncas and Alice has always been my favorite part of the movie. The scene when Uncas and Alice die always moves me to tears. To me, Alice's jumping off the cliff is a bold statement of her love for Uncas. Although the movie hugely underplays their romance, I can still feel the strong bond between the two. I do believe that Alice loves Uncas because of two scenes. One is in the cave when Uncas pulls Alice back from the fall and holds her and rocks her, you can see Alice's hand embrace Uncas tightly -- a sign that she likes him. The other scene is when Uncas got wounded and then killed by Magua, the expresssions on Alice's face show shock, concern, pain. and then silent grief. To me, it shows the pain of losing someone she loves, rather than the lost of hope in being rescued.

chasis_22
Colonial Settler

Mohican Brothers
USA

April 19 2003

Posted - May 07 2003 :  7:48:49 PM  Show Profile  Send chasis_22 a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
I agree with you 100% Lurking Huron! A picture paints a thousand words.....they didn't have to have a great romance scene. You can see it in their body language!

Lurking Huron4582
Anonymous Guest

November 27 2002

Posted - May 08 2003 :  5:12:51 PM  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
I also believe that Alice loved Uncas in return (Lurking Huron explained this well). I think Alice got some emotional satisfaction from turning the tables on Magua. For a brief moment, she was the one in control. Also, she would assume that Hawkeye and Chingachgook would attempt to rescue her. They would be outnumbered and possibly meet the same fate as Uncas. Perhaps she jumped in order to prevent anyone else dying in an attempt to rescue her. ---PS

chasis_22
Colonial Settler

Mohican Brothers
USA

April 19 2003

Posted - May 10 2003 :  09:22:53 AM  Show Profile  Send chasis_22 a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
good point lurking huron.....I never thought of it that way.

Stephanie
Gathering Sachemess

Hiking Smurf Avatar
USA

June 23 2002

Donating Member

Posted - May 10 2003 :  1:27:31 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
The reason I thought she jumped was not given as an option in the poll, so I'll mention it here. I think she just snapped. I think from the cave scene on forward, it was just too much for her and she seemed to seperate herself from reality. At the beginning of the movie, she was completely unprepared for the 'adventcha' and just didn't have the strength and gusto that Cora had, and which was needed to survive in these circumstances. Even Cora hinted at her sister's fragile state of mind when she said of her father's death, "Say nothing to Alice."
Anyone else agree with the insanity plea?
Stephanie

Theresa
Bumppo's Tavern Proprietress

Theresa
USA

May 17 2002

Posted - May 10 2003 :  2:54:57 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by Stephanie

The reason I thought she jumped was not given as an option in the poll, so I'll mention it here. I think she just snapped. I think from the cave scene on forward, it was just too much for her and she seemed to seperate herself from reality. At the beginning of the movie, she was completely unprepared for the 'adventcha' and just didn't have the strength and gusto that Cora had, and which was needed to survive in these circumstances. Even Cora hinted at her sister's fragile state of mind when she said of her father's death, "Say nothing to Alice."
Anyone else agree with the insanity plea?
Stephanie

Hey Steph! I am one of the ones that voted for the "invalid schoolgirl" choice because I thought it was the closet one to your idea. I believe she began to lose it from the ambush and it progressed until the jump. That whole span of time you could see her weaken. She had no idea of the magnitude of her "advencha".

Theresa

Jayne
Overseer of Ariel's Auction

Oak Leaf

May 23 2002

Posted - May 10 2003 :  2:55:24 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
Hi, Stephanie.

The insanity plea is certainly a strong argument. I have to agree with you that Alice was fragile. She had that glazed look in her eyes a good deal of the time! But I also felt there was a look of "you'll never touch me again" as she turned from peering down below and gave Magua that last look of sad resolve. Wow, what a powerful scene! By the way, hope all is well with you!

Jayne

chasis_22
Colonial Settler

Mohican Brothers
USA

April 19 2003

Posted - May 11 2003 :  02:26:15 AM  Show Profile  Send chasis_22 a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
Hmmmmm....insanity. I could see that. Although it was funny that she told Duncan in the beginning of the movie how excited she was about the "adventure" but when she was actually going through it her excitement changed. She did look a little insane after the fort was lost to the french. Nice to have some new views!

Jo
Sweetser 4 Rep

May 27 2002

Posted - May 15 2003 :  4:45:03 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
This is all very interesting reading! great reading in all of the replies.
I'd vote for the non listed: insanity: I think she had lost it long beforehand. Or she was tired of trudging uphill and not enough down time. (And the trail kept going upwards!) Or those 'red colored' cliffs drove her over the edge...no pun indedended. Bad hair day?? Yes, droven many of us to the brink. Anyway...there you have it. All in all, however, still a MOST powerful scene...of how many other scenes do even remember from films currently released?

ConfusedOne
Pathfinder

Uncas2
USA

May 18 2003

Posted - May 25 2003 :  12:39:10 AM  Show Profile  Send ConfusedOne an AOL message  Send ConfusedOne a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
Hey guys....i have to butt into this. Alice and Uncas loved each other. Plain as that. They had a love scene in the cave of the original version but they had to cut it out because the director thought that their love scene would distract the audience from Hawkeye and Cora. So to keep the focus on Hawkeye and Cora, they had to keep Alice and Uncas' relationship subtle. Get it??? if you don't i'll be more than happy to answer any questions.
- Katie

Brenda
Pioneer

Wink
Canada

June 17 2002

Posted - May 26 2003 :  12:15:39 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
quote:
I believe she began to lose it from the ambush and it progressed until the jump. That whole span of time you could see her weaken. She had no idea of the magnitude of her "advencha".

That makes sense, she was going to throw herself into the waterfall until Uncas pulled her back as well ....

“They say that you're never as wise as when you're a child. We'll never think that clearly again.”
From Arlington Road (1999)

Lurking Huron0943
Anonymous Guest

November 27 2002

Posted - May 26 2003 :  07:15:48 AM  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
I think that Alice jumped because she loved Uncas.
She would rather join him in death than live alone.
At first, she was grief stricken by Uncas's death and didn't know what to do, then she looked down at Uncas and decided to join him. When she had made her decision, she regained her strength and peace. So she looked Magua in the eyes,
ignored his gesture of mercy and then threw herself off the cliff calmly. I also think that the brief shot of Uncas and Alice lying side by side at the bottom of the cliff is a strong hint of the reason for Alice's jump --- to be with Uncas.

chasis_22
Colonial Settler

Mohican Brothers
USA

April 19 2003

Posted - June 03 2003 :  10:53:53 AM  Show Profile  Send chasis_22 a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
I have to agree with you Lurking Huron. I think they showed Uncas and Alice dead together for any other reason!

ConfusedOne
Pathfinder

Uncas2
USA

May 18 2003

Posted - June 04 2003 :  01:19:56 AM  Show Profile  Send ConfusedOne an AOL message  Send ConfusedOne a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
I agree with Lurking Huron too......

quote:
"she was going to throw herself into the waterfall until Uncas pulled her back as well ...."
I read the script and it said nothing about Alice trying to throw herself into the waterfall. But she got too close and Uncas pulled her back in fear of Magua and his warriors finding them by seeing her through the water.

Cherokee Nation. Cherokee Tribe.
So proud to live. So proud to die.

chasis_22
Colonial Settler

Mohican Brothers
USA

April 19 2003

Posted - June 04 2003 :  01:32:09 AM  Show Profile  Send chasis_22 a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
In all honesty Confused One.....I agree. I had always thought that Uncas pulled Alice back because she might be seen or maybe he felt that she might have fallen in. I suppose each person sees things in their own way to suit their taste or hopes for the scenes! Regardless they are all great opinions.

rydergrl
Colonial Settler

Pisces
USA

November 03 2003

Posted - November 03 2003 :  10:49:53 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
I believe Alice jumped not because she couldn't go on without Uncas, although God knows that is one good-looking man. However, after Uncas is killed, Alice simply gave up. She saw life living with Magua and the Heron as unbearable. She would more than likely been a abused by the women of the tribe; she would more than likely have become a slave, not to mention she would have been passed from man to man. Alice was weak. She was not strong like Cora. She would not have been emotionally able to "submit." She would rather have died and that it just what she did.

What you give of yourself is priceless.

Christina
Deerslayer

Vampire
USA

May 27 2002

Posted - November 05 2003 :  5:00:02 PM  Show Profile  Visit Christina's Homepage  Send Christina an AOL message  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
I agree with Stephanie's post farther up...I think Alice just lost it, frankly. Or, as my favorite line from "The Green Mile" goes, "her cheese done slipped off her cracker..."
Alice may or may not have knocked boots with Uncas. The bottom line, however, is that she was just plain not cut out for life on the frontier. If she hadn't gone off the cliff when she did, I think she would have found a way to off herself had Magua made off her. I don't think Alice would have survived a month in the frontier. So her only other option, I think, was somehow to get back to England. She was just one of those women of that time, I think, who were cut out to sit by the fire and sew samplers and live the more genteel London lifestyle. Just my take on it...
Christina

See this face? This is the face of a woman on the edge.
Whoopi Goldberg, "Jumping Jack Flash"

Cora
Lost in the Wilderness

Spain

November 27 2004

Posted - November 27 2004 :  2:38:57 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
I have seen this film so many times! I really think Alice is afraid of what the war means but at that moment her face is completely different: after seeing Uncas'death she shows she doesn´t feel fear, just calmness. She prefers dying by her own hand and not give Magua the pleasure of it.

__Carolina__
Page: of 8 Previous Topic: fanfiction password Topic Next Topic: The ONE True Hero ...  
Next Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
| More
Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Jump To:

Around The Site:
~ What's New? ~
Pathfinding | Mohican Gatherings | Mohican Musings | LOTM Script | History | Musical Musings | Storefronts on the Frontier
Off the Beaten Trail | Links
Of Special Interest:
The Eric Schweig Gallery | From the Ramparts | The Listening Room | Against All Odds | The Video Clips Index

DISCLAIMER
Tune, 40, used by permission - composed by Ron Clarke

Custom Search

The Mohican Board! [Bumppo's Redux!] © 1997-2024 - Mohican Press Go To Top Of Page
Current Mohicanland page raised in 0.8 seconds Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.07