The Mohican Board! [Bumppo's Redux!]
The Mohican Board! [Bumppo's Redux!]
10/11/2024 11:29:08 PM
On the Trail...Home | Old Mohican Board Archives | Purpose
Events | Polls | Photos | Classifieds | Downloads
Profile | Register | Members | Private Messages
Search | Posting Tips | FAQ | Web Links | Mohican Chat | Blogs
Forum Bookmarks | Unanswered Posts | Preview Topic Photos | Active Topics
Invite a Friend to the Mohican Board | Guestbook | Greeting Cards | Auction (0) | Colonial Recipe Book
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 LAST OF THE MOHICANS
 The Last of the Mohicans ...
 The ONE True Hero ...
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
| More
Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Previous Page | Next Page

Author Previous Topic: Why did Alice really jump? Topic Next Topic: Love or not love?  THAT, is the question!
Page: of 5

Emily
Colonial Settler

Cora 4
USA

Bumppo's Patron since [at least]:
January 08 2005

Posted - September 18 2006 :  3:36:13 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
Uh, I think I'm going to have to go with Duncan on this one...
The guy had guts. And he had a lotta love for Cora , taking the heat for her and all, har dee harr harr...
And as for Soldier #2, wasn't he wounded? It was hard enough for the boys who were in decent shape to make it, a wounded man I doubt would make it. Maybe he wasn't wounded, but I thought I saw him taking it awfully easy in the canoe ride...
And Cora and Alice might have better off with the Huron! I don't see how in the world they could have swam, or even re-surfaced, in all of that garb.
Sorry Uncas and Hawkeye cults! (I'm a member of both I think) But, I knew you guys would give them plenty of votes. Poor Duncan....(ducking rocks and rotten tomatoes...)

"It is the unknown we fear when looking upon death and darkness, nothing more."
report to moderator Go to Top of Page

Irishgirl
Council of Elders

Irish Girl Avatar
USA

February 14 2006

Donating Member

Posted - September 23 2006 :  5:28:22 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
Duncan redeemed himself somewhat at the end but I think his decision was more spur of the moment and not to be outdone by Hawkeye, than bravery. After the massacre he was already in the canoe and well out in the water when our 3 heroes jumped in their canoe and paddled out. He was just taking off and leaving the girls to their "fate". I would hardly call that bravery. Then he gets in Hawkeye's face when Cora tells them to jump through the Falls and leave. "What kind of plan is that" he says. Well what kind of plan was it to desert the women like he did. They would already be dead had our trio not saved them.

Seems like Uncas is well in the lead in this little poll. He gave his life as the ultimate sacrifice and it was from bravery not stupidity or a need to compete with anyone else. What a guy.

IG

Emily
Colonial Settler

Cora 4
USA

January 08 2005

Posted - September 25 2006 :  7:12:57 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
Haha, well, Cora was going to get toasted so Duncan took her place. Spur of the moment or not, that does show a little, um manly fortitude. Uncas was brave too, but he didn't take things too slowly himself when it came to HIS gal...;)

M1chaelMyers21
Lost in the Wilderness

michael myers
USA

September 26 2006

Posted - September 26 2006 :  8:39:42 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
uncas, my hero!

WaR Is NoT ThE AnSwEr

Batawana
Pioneer

The Kiss 2
USA

April 03 2006

Donating Member

Posted - September 26 2006 :  10:33:46 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
I have an idea...why don't we give them all equal credit of heroism level!!

Afterall, they all showed dauntless courage in all the situations...even though if it wasn't for Duncan lying about the Cameron Cabin attack...they would all still be alive.
He had to redeem himself by switching places with Hawakeye...he knew Cora would never be with him.

So, I think, they are all HEROES and Heroines
But of course if I could only have one vote....HAWKEYE

Irishgirl
Council of Elders

Irish Girl Avatar
USA

February 14 2006

Donating Member

Posted - September 26 2006 :  11:36:23 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by Batawana
Afterall, they all showed dauntless courage in all the situations...even though if it wasn't for Duncan lying about the Cameron Cabin attack...they would all still be alive.

Although even had he told the truth about what happened Munro would still not have released Capt. Jack and his men. They were under seige and I doubt he would have let them go under any circumstances. He would have come up with some other reason not to let them go back to their families.

Maybe it is late and I am not thinking straight but how do you figure they would all still be alive if Duncan had told the truth about what happened? They would still have surrendered and left the Fort and been set upon by Magua and his men. Enlighten me please?

IG

Light of the Moon
Mohicanland Statesman

Car in Fog
USA

December 18 2004

Posted - September 27 2006 :  11:09:21 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
Not just that, but with the seige those men would have died in the forest...remember the dispatcher who made it out but never made it back? Well, if you release the entire colonial militia it just gives the NA allies to the French some moving target practice.

I live in my own little world - but that's okay, they know me here!

Emily
Colonial Settler

Cora 4
USA

January 08 2005

Posted - September 27 2006 :  3:17:45 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
Duncan is not my favorite character by far in that movie. Yeah, probaly one of my least favorites, but, I think that as the whole thing unfolded, he actually started thinking more about others than he did himself. That last act, even if it was to win Coras favor, wouldn't have really of done him any good since he ended up extra cripsy. Kind of like shootin yourself in the foot to spite somebody else. Maybe his last act wasn't completely selfless, but I think he was thinking more of Coras well being than anything else.
Even if Duncan hadn't of lied like a sleeze, the French were still whooping the English and the fort would have fallen. And Hawkeye stayed because of Cora. Unless he was taking her and Uncas Alice, I doubt they would have left. I don't the permission to leave was really a concern of Hawkeyes to begin with. And like Light of the Moon said, the wood was crawling with the French and their allies. There chances out there on their own didn't so too good either!

Light of the Moon
Mohicanland Statesman

Car in Fog
USA

December 18 2004

Posted - September 28 2006 :  08:35:51 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
Right there with ya' on that Emily.
Duncan isn't exactly one of my favorite characters but his noble act in the end certainly proved his love for Cora. Did you catch by chance the look Duncan gave Hawkeye when Hawkeye asked if Duncan translated his plea for Cora's safety. Duncan said, "Yes," but the look was given to Hawkeye more so than Cora. I thought this look pretty much spoke for him (incredible performance). He knew Cora's happiness w/love was w/Hawkeye and he also knew Hawkeye would see to her safety.
Now that is heroism.
But my vote still lays with Ching!

Obediah
Mohicanland Statesman

Skull 5
USA

August 16 2006

Donating Member

Posted - September 28 2006 :  08:48:04 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by Light of the Moon

Right there with ya' on that Emily.
Duncan isn't exactly one of my favorite characters but his noble act in the end certainly proved his love for Cora. Did you catch by chance the look Duncan gave Hawkeye when Hawkeye asked if Duncan translated his plea for Cora's safety. Duncan said, "Yes," but the look was given to Hawkeye more so than Cora. I thought this look pretty much spoke for him (incredible performance). He knew Cora's happiness w/love was w/Hawkeye and he also knew Hawkeye would see to her safety.
Now that is heroism.
But my vote still lays with Ching!

Chingy! Chingy! Chingy! Geezers rule! --Or as it says on my tee shirt, "Old Guys Rule"

Duncan...one less lobsterback! Woot!

Light of the Moon
Mohicanland Statesman

Car in Fog
USA

December 18 2004

Posted - September 28 2006 :  09:00:33 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
Good Morning, Obediah!

I did see this tee shirt in a catalog that stated:

Geezer formerly known as Stud Muffin!

Irishgirl
Council of Elders

Irish Girl Avatar
USA

February 14 2006

Donating Member

Posted - September 28 2006 :  09:45:15 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
Yeah Obediah Chingy rules but he is not a Geezer.

IG

Emily
Colonial Settler

Cora 4
USA

January 08 2005

Posted - September 28 2006 :  2:27:12 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
Woot says the geezer!?!
Alright, what makes you call Ching a geezer? Just curious about your qualifications since this seems to be an ongoing thing....
Just curious...

Light of the Moon
Mohicanland Statesman

Car in Fog
USA

December 18 2004

Posted - September 29 2006 :  10:52:48 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
I looked it up in the dictionary and it said:

geezer - Obediah (n.) LOL

ya' buddy!

Light of the Moon
Mohicanland Statesman

Car in Fog
USA

December 18 2004

Posted - September 29 2006 :  10:56:45 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
The "geezer" started on page 2 on this thead.
Pretty much between Obediah, me, and Irish.
The cool thing is it made another friendship on this board and we toss it around for fun!

I think it implies any weird old man.

Touche, Obediah!

Obediah
Mohicanland Statesman

Skull 5
USA

August 16 2006

Donating Member

Posted - September 29 2006 :  11:48:22 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
Weird old man? WEIRD OLD MAN? You been talking to my wife? Or my granddaughter?

OK, here are a bunch of random thoughts...yeah, I'm rambling...must be my advanced age...

I just noticed that both Light of the Moon and Emily are from Kain-tuck-EE! And that means...Absolutely Nothing!

Chingy is the most heroic precisely because he IS a Geezer...otherwise he'd be nothing more than a young punk like Uncas!

And speaking of Uncas, I'd like to see a poll showing whether those who voted for him are male or female. Did any man vote the Uncas? Would any man admit to it? There's an old saying, "Real men don't eat quiche." Now there's a NEW saying, "Real men don't vote for Uncas!!" Flame away ladies; I'm wearing my Nomex skivvies!

Lastly (and ya'll thought this would never end), here a link (especially for you, Moonie-girl): http://www.oldguysrule.com/

Light of the Moon
Mohicanland Statesman

Car in Fog
USA

December 18 2004

Posted - September 29 2006 :  9:53:22 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
Nah, I haven't talked to any of your kin. But it doesn't take much to spot a true "geezer" when you come across one.

Weird that Emily and I live in the same state though.

Chingy is the most heroic by far! So kudos to you

And here you go on the Uncas bashing...again. <Sigh>
No matter what is said we will always love our man!

And that web site...who knew! So many old fella's out there outdoing the younger ones! Well, I guess when you've got nothing to loose you just ROCK ON!

And for a closing statement!

UncasUncasUncasUncasUncasUncasUncas

Obediah
Mohicanland Statesman

Skull 5
USA

August 16 2006

Donating Member

Posted - September 30 2006 :  11:00:26 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
Here's the final score of the big game this afternoon, folks:

Magua 2, Uncas 0

Light of the Moon
Mohicanland Statesman

Car in Fog
USA

December 18 2004

Posted - October 01 2006 :  8:35:31 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
Now that's low!

How about this one:

Ching: 2 Magua: 0

Go Ching!

Obediah
Mohicanland Statesman

Skull 5
USA

August 16 2006

Donating Member

Posted - October 02 2006 :  12:12:56 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
Actually, the score of the "finals" is

Chingy 1, Magua 0

The criteria for scoring in this "sport" is based on one thing only: Body Count!

LeyLana1462
Colonial Settler

Saxon
Australia

April 03 2006

Posted - October 02 2006 :  05:13:38 AM  Show Profile  Visit LeyLana1462's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
Hey Rich, believe it or not I actually voted for Duncan!!!!! Not gorgeous little Uncas or Da Man Magua.

If not for Duncan giving his life the story would have probably ended there with the death of Cora or Hawkeye.

In the end it seemed to revolve around the love story between Cora and Hawkeye rather than Chingy so..........

They are all there, but one.
I, Chingachgook, Last of the Mohicans.

Emily
Colonial Settler

Cora 4
USA

January 08 2005

Posted - October 02 2006 :  2:47:16 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
Chalk another up for the redcoat!
Obediah, being from Kain-tuck-ee means everything!!!!
And that website knocked me off my chair. First thing I saw was the picture of those topless men. Too racey for this little Kentucky gal...
Light of the moon, Where are you from? The East of West side?

Obediah
Mohicanland Statesman

Skull 5
USA

August 16 2006

Donating Member

Posted - October 02 2006 :  11:59:47 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
Lordy, another woman with ATTITUDE!

My favorite kind.

I'm reminded of a scene in one of my other favorite movies, "The Long Riders."

Cole Younger (David Carridine), after catching flack from Belle Shirley, turns to little brother Bob (Robert Carridine) and says, "Wimmin...love 'em!" The smirk on Cole's face is marvelous.

Light of the Moon
Mohicanland Statesman

Car in Fog
USA

December 18 2004

Posted - October 03 2006 :  09:21:16 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by Emily

Chalk another up for the redcoat!
Obediah, being from Kain-tuck-ee means everything!!!!
And that website knocked me off my chair. First thing I saw was the picture of those topless men. Too racey for this little Kentucky gal...
Light of the moon, Where are you from? The East of West side?

Northeast side. Yeah, I got that little shot too. I don't think I'll ever fit in here in KY because my first thought was, "You go, Geezers!"
Obediah, I think OH and KY are stuck in a time warp that places them years behind everyone else. It's like the twilight zone!
John Wayne once said, "If the world ever came to an end I'd want to live in OH because they're 15years behind everybody!"
KY isn't far behind. So conservative here!
Everyone looks the same and if you step out of the norm everyone looks at you like, "What planet are you from?"
Seriously, go downtown Cincinnati, Blue collared men, women in business suits and almost everyone is wearing blue, black, white, or red. Guarantee it!
Outside of the city, in the yuppie areas it's polo shirts and khakis and the "soccer mom appeal". (And these are people who can afford high fashion clothing!)
Then in the suburban areas it girls in jeans and 80's shirts, guys in cargo shorts or pants and somekind of themed t-shirt, sweatshirt, or jersey...oh yeah, don't forget the ballcap!

Recently I did some Mendih Hennah Tattoos and everyone here is flipping out! Guess I ventured too far out on the limb again.

ok...back on topic
voting for the redcoat?
Ching definatly takes the lead!

Obediah
Mohicanland Statesman

Skull 5
USA

August 16 2006

Donating Member

Posted - October 03 2006 :  11:22:15 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
Sorry if I was misunderstood ...I didn't mean that because certain people live in KY, it's unimportant. I just meant that the coincidence of two posters living in the same state (any state will do) means nothing more than if you lived in different states. Did that explanation make any sense at all?

BTW, I'd heard the John Wayne joke before, but the location is not KY or OH, it's EAST TEXAS!
Page: of 5 Previous Topic: Why did Alice really jump? Topic Next Topic: Love or not love?  THAT, is the question!  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
| More
Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Jump To:

Around The Site:
~ What's New? ~
Pathfinding | Mohican Gatherings | Mohican Musings | LOTM Script | History | Musical Musings | Storefronts on the Frontier
Off the Beaten Trail | Links
Of Special Interest:
The Eric Schweig Gallery | From the Ramparts | The Listening Room | Against All Odds | The Video Clips Index

DISCLAIMER
Tune, 40, used by permission - composed by Ron Clarke

Custom Search

The Mohican Board! [Bumppo's Redux!] © 1997-2024 - Mohican Press Go To Top Of Page
Current Mohicanland page raised in 0.73 seconds Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.07