The Mohican Board! [Bumppo's Redux!]
The Mohican Board! [Bumppo's Redux!]
10/11/2024 9:17:44 PM
On the Trail...Home | Old Mohican Board Archives | Purpose
Events | Polls | Photos | Classifieds | Downloads
Profile | Register | Members | Private Messages
Search | Posting Tips | FAQ | Web Links | Mohican Chat | Blogs
Forum Bookmarks | Unanswered Posts | Preview Topic Photos | Active Topics
Invite a Friend to the Mohican Board | Guestbook | Greeting Cards | Auction (0) | Colonial Recipe Book
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 LAST OF THE MOHICANS
 The Last of the Mohicans ...
 The ONE True Hero ...
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
| More
Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Previous Page | Next Page

Author Previous Topic: Why did Alice really jump? Topic Next Topic: Love or not love?  THAT, is the question!
Page: of 5

Obediah
Mohicanland Statesman

Skull 5
USA

Bumppo's Patron since [at least]:
August 16 2006

Donating Member

Posted - August 24 2006 :  1:27:46 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by Irishgirl

Biggest Wuss: Duncan

Hey I agree with Chingy being heroic but lay off the old geezer line. That man looks great for his age and boy can he ever run.

As far as Duncan "Grade-A twit" goes, all I can say is: "Vive le France!"

Geezer? GEEZER?? I'll have you know I'm a geezer, so I can use that phrase any time I want to! If I could even walk half as far as he runs, I'd be happy. BTW, I recently saw a phrase on the internet describing Russell Means as "The Angriest Indian in America." Maybe that anger keeps him going?!
report to moderator Go to Top of Page

Fitzhugh Williams
Mohicanland Statesman

July 17 2005

Posted - August 24 2006 :  1:58:13 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
quote:
all I can say is: "Vive le France!"

Merci!

"Les deux pieds contre la muraille et la tete sous le robinet"

Monadnock Guide
Council of Elders

USA

March 14 2005

Posted - August 24 2006 :  3:20:56 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
Oh Gawd, - not two of them!

you can keep "The Change"

nekutmeqwanoc
Pathfinder

Fascism
USA

June 10 2006

Posted - August 25 2006 :  08:19:04 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
i think duncan was a true hero.i dont like him but you have to respect him.he chose to let cora be with the man she loved because he loved her.so he gave his life for her knowing that she didnt love him.i mean that took balls!

uncas is my fav but he was kinda stupid.did he really think he was gonna kill all of them?he could have at least threw rocks at them from the top of the cliff.or waited untill hawkeye and chingy got there to help him out.da.

Light of the Moon
Mohicanland Statesman

Car in Fog
USA

December 18 2004

Posted - August 25 2006 :  10:57:28 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by Obediah

Hey, how about a few more categories?...

MOST HEROIC: Chingachgook...for an old geezer, he kicks some major booty (just ask Magua).
OOOOOHHHHH, the nerve!!!! You leave Ching alone! I don't care if you're a "geezer" or not! Step off!!

MOST OVER-RATED???!!!: Uncas.
Are you sure you didn't mean: I'M STINKING JEALOUS!!!

I live in my own little world - but that's okay, they know me here!

Lurking Huron2962
Anonymous Guest

November 27 2002

Posted - August 27 2006 :  01:29:14 AM  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
I agree with the above comment about Uncas. When they were all under the falls they didn't attempt to fight Magua and his gang, so why did Uncas think he could fight them all by himself??? But it still made for one heck of a good movie. Truely though I think Hawkeye is the one true hero. With Uncas coming in 2nd.

Obediah
Mohicanland Statesman

Skull 5
USA

August 16 2006

Donating Member

Posted - August 28 2006 :  12:25:50 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
Hawkeye? Heroic?

Let me see if I can get this straight. While he's locked up in the gaol (waiting for the hangman's rope) Cora tries to convince him to escape and he refuses, saying something about the only thing he's interested in is right here (while making goo-goo eyes at Cora)...and yet...when push comes to shove, while they are later hiding in the cave under the waterfall waiting for good ol' Magua to come slithering up, good ol' Hawkeye can't wait to get away from the poor besotted lass! Looks like he had something more interesting than her tail to be interested in: saving his own! I'm not even going to discuss what he told her there...perhaps in a later post.

Come to think of it, why didn't they all take their chances with the waterfall & not wait for the Huron, standing around like deer in the headlights?

One final thought, or should I say reply, to Light of the Moon and Irishgirl:

Geezergeezergeezergeezergeezergeezergeezergeezergeezergeezergeezergeezergeezergeezergeezer!

Lady of Glencairn
Colonial Settler

Prison Break - Sara Tancredi
South Africa

May 29 2004

Posted - August 28 2006 :  07:02:33 AM  Show Profile  Visit Lady of Glencairn's Homepage  Click to see Lady of Glencairn's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
I think we have had this debate somwhere else already, with the consenses being that they left the ladies behind in order for them (the ladies) to stand a better chance at survival. They would most likely not have survived the jump so the men did the best they could under the circumstances and left them there knowing that they would return for them.

Lady of Glencairn
"Love is the triumph of imagination over intelligence" - H.L. Mencken

Fitzhugh Williams
Mohicanland Statesman

July 17 2005

Posted - August 28 2006 :  08:39:02 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
But why didn't Soldier #2 jump? Not very likely that Duncan would live to court martial him for desertion. And even if he did, a firing squad is still better than a Huron tomahawk and scalping knife. He could have just told Major Duncan to "Stay alive! I will find you!", and then jumped through the falls. I'll have to ask him next time I see him.

Monadnock Guide
Council of Elders

USA

March 14 2005

Posted - August 28 2006 :  08:49:28 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
I have the solution. Why don't they all, including Magua & friends jump overboard? They could all "sink or swim" so to speak. Then the survivors would all have "wet powder" and could "duke it out" somewhere along the riverbank. Of course the movie would be about an hour shorter, - but the "who jumped, and why" would be solved! ... Ok, next problem? ... ;)

Fitzhugh Williams
Mohicanland Statesman

July 17 2005

Posted - August 28 2006 :  08:55:59 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
Come to think of it, what did Hawkeye and company do that Magua and company did not? Both in canoes, both walked under the waterfalls. So why wasn't their powder wet, too? Seems like it would have been. There were five guys in the Hawkeye group at the time, so they could have put up a good fight. Since there was barely room for one at a time to walk under the falls it seems like they could have fought them off. After all, Hawkeye later holds off three Huron with a single shot flintlock.

Monadnock Guide
Council of Elders

USA

March 14 2005

Posted - August 28 2006 :  09:01:18 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
Well, settling things at the falls would shorten the movie just a tad, - and there'd be no cliff scene to jump or get pushed off. However, you do make a good point, - maybe it wasn't the powder, maybe our hero's just wanted to "skip town". Might not look so hot sans hair!

Fitzhugh Williams
Mohicanland Statesman

July 17 2005

Posted - August 28 2006 :  11:07:03 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
quote:
maybe it wasn't the powder, maybe our hero's just wanted to "skip town".

Or shake off that girl he met back on the trail. "It was great back at the fort, but I sorta have to go now, and all."

Monadnock Guide
Council of Elders

USA

March 14 2005

Posted - August 28 2006 :  11:24:22 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
Yes indeed, - "thanks, but I gotta run now, I'll call ya' later".

Fitzhugh Williams
Mohicanland Statesman

July 17 2005

Posted - August 28 2006 :  3:28:03 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
Yeah, "Cora, we need a little space to kinda find ourselves, just for a while, you know, so you stay alive, ya hear, and next time I am in Albany I'll give you a call."

Stephanie
Gathering Sachemess

Hiking Smurf Avatar
USA

June 23 2002

Donating Member

Posted - August 28 2006 :  7:46:11 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
Fitz you are cracking me up!!!
Ok, so from the comments made on this thread I am supposed to think that Hawkeye is a coward for running away from the cave. Soldier #2 didn't run and got whacked, so does that make Soldier #2 the most heroic? Is that what is being implied here?
Hmmmm... never thought of it that way....

Fitzhugh Williams
Mohicanland Statesman

July 17 2005

Posted - August 28 2006 :  10:40:59 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
Soldier #2 didn't run because, being a good British soldier, he was waiting for an officer to tell him what to do. And since none did, he stood where he was. That doesn't make him a hero, just a Brit.

And how about Uncas? He didn't even tell Alice to stay alive. And she didn't!

Lady of Glencairn
Colonial Settler

South Africa

May 29 2004

Posted - August 29 2006 :  04:18:59 AM  Show Profile  Visit Lady of Glencairn's Homepage  Click to see Lady of Glencairn's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
Maybe thats the reason she died ... she needed to be TOLD to stay alive ..

Lady of Glencairn

Stephanie
Gathering Sachemess

Hiking Smurf Avatar
USA

June 23 2002

Donating Member

Posted - August 29 2006 :  07:03:39 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
Fitz,
Maybe Soldier #2 didn't run because jumping through the waterfall in a wool uniform would have weighed him down so much he would have drowned at the bottom.
Or, maybe he didn't run because it just wasn't in the script! haha!

Fitzhugh Williams
Mohicanland Statesman

July 17 2005

Posted - August 29 2006 :  09:31:15 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
I think it was that he had already gotten one uniform soaked during the ride home on his motorcycle the night before, and the wardrobe dept. told him it had better not happen again!

Lurking Huron4050
Anonymous Guest

November 27 2002

Posted - August 29 2006 :  10:34:56 PM  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
I can't believe the good Colonel has so few votes. Any man that has not one but two such lovely daughters gets my vote.

Lady of Glencairn
Colonial Settler

South Africa

May 29 2004

Posted - August 30 2006 :  04:00:32 AM  Show Profile  Visit Lady of Glencairn's Homepage  Click to see Lady of Glencairn's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
LOL @ Fitz ... Budget cuts!

Lady of Glencairn

Light of the Moon
Mohicanland Statesman

Car in Fog
USA

December 18 2004

Posted - September 02 2006 :  11:50:40 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply

One final thought, or should I say reply, to Light of the Moon and Irishgirl:

Geezergeezergeezergeezergeezergeezergeezergeezergeezergeezergeezergeezergeezergeezergeezer!
[/quote]

Okay, okay...you seriously made me laugh!
I love people with a good sense of humor, Obediah!
You can say the term "geezer" anytime you want, you've earned that! A holler back takes some guts, man! Way to go!
But Ching is most definatly not a geezer...he's a distinguished man.

I live in my own little world - but that's okay, they know me here!

Irishgirl
Council of Elders

Irish Girl Avatar
USA

February 14 2006

Donating Member

Posted - September 03 2006 :  4:52:51 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
Yeah, Obediah don't call Chingy a "geezer" pretty please.

IG

Lady of Glencairn
Colonial Settler

South Africa

May 29 2004

Posted - September 05 2006 :  02:19:51 AM  Show Profile  Visit Lady of Glencairn's Homepage  Click to see Lady of Glencairn's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by Light of the MoonBut Ching is most definatly not a geezer...he's a distinguished man.

Right on!!!

Lady of Glencairn
Page: of 5 Previous Topic: Why did Alice really jump? Topic Next Topic: Love or not love?  THAT, is the question!  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
| More
Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Jump To:

Around The Site:
~ What's New? ~
Pathfinding | Mohican Gatherings | Mohican Musings | LOTM Script | History | Musical Musings | Storefronts on the Frontier
Off the Beaten Trail | Links
Of Special Interest:
The Eric Schweig Gallery | From the Ramparts | The Listening Room | Against All Odds | The Video Clips Index

DISCLAIMER
Tune, 40, used by permission - composed by Ron Clarke

Custom Search

The Mohican Board! [Bumppo's Redux!] © 1997-2024 - Mohican Press Go To Top Of Page
Current Mohicanland page raised in 0.52 seconds Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.07