The Mohican Board! [Bumppo's Redux!]
The Mohican Board! [Bumppo's Redux!]
10/8/2024 1:28:06 PM
On the Trail...Home | Old Mohican Board Archives | Purpose
Events | Polls | Photos | Classifieds | Downloads
Profile | Register | Members | Private Messages
Search | Posting Tips | FAQ | Web Links | Mohican Chat | Blogs
Forum Bookmarks | Unanswered Posts | Preview Topic Photos | Active Topics
Invite a Friend to the Mohican Board | Guestbook | Greeting Cards | Auction (0) | Colonial Recipe Book
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 MOHICANLAND: Community
 Bunkhouse Banter!
 Deep Freeze
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
| More
Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Previous Page | Next Page

Author Previous Topic: Just my two cents.. Topic Next Topic: Alasdair Fraser Is Coming . . .
Page: of 14

Wilderness Woman
Watcher of the Wood

Young George Washington
USA

Bumppo's Patron since [at least]:
November 27 2002

Donating Member

Posted - January 16 2004 :  4:13:40 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
...and those mosquitoes are thirsty! Then there are the deer flies and worse, the black flies. No, cold winters do not kill them off! In fact, like me, I think they find it invigorating!
report to moderator Go to Top of Page

Lady Ann
Pioneer

USA

May 20 2002

Posted - January 16 2004 :  4:17:06 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
I misspoke earlier about the frigid 72 degree high we were expecting for today....our temperature gauge shows it is now 75...and climbing! And I thought I could finally turn off that damn air conditioner....

Actually, truth be told, I (who was born and raised in the deep South and didn't even see snow until I was well into middle age) miss the beauty of winter. In the early 1990's we lived for two years in Owego, NY on a farm on top of a hill, miles from the nearest neighbor. Both years we had blizzards, with snow so deep it completely blocked our doors (so the kids just jumped out of the second story windows into the snowbanks! I remember fondly the "snow days"...tobagganing with the kids down our hill, skiing in our lower meadow in a completely silent, white world, the sharp contrast of the stars against the cold black night sky...yep, loved it and miss it terribly.

But I'm a Florida girl and the MacLeod, who was born and raised in upstate New York, has sworn he will never again live in a state where one is required to own a "coat". So here we stay. Our seasons? Hot, Hotter and Oh-My-God-We-Are-Going-To-Die!

Cherie, what do you mean you are catching a plane down here? And you didn't let me know? For heaven's sake, woman! I live practically on Disney's doorstep and have plenty of room in my house here on the lake. Frozen Mohicanlanders, come on down!

Scott Bubar
Colonial Militia

USA

May 17 2002

Posted - January 17 2004 :  6:53:02 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
For those of us who are afflicted, and not masochists:

Sago Cottage

But then, perhaps this is not only a bit masochistic, but sadistic as well.

~~Aim small, miss small.

securemann
Deerslayer

offer of peace
USA

July 08 2002

Posted - January 17 2004 :  8:37:06 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
Now yer talkin' Scott!

richfed
Sachem

King 1
USA

May 13 2002

Administrator

Posted - January 26 2004 :  06:21:40 AM  Show Profile  Visit richfed's Homepage  Click to see richfed's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
OK, JimBob -

We now have 2-3 inches of snow - frozen solid - and covered with a thick sheet of ice. More on the way, they say. This is the equivalent - maybe worse - of 2 feet of snow up in New York. Things tend to get paralyzed. Are you happy now?!?

I hate winter ... I hate winter ... I hate winter ... I hate winter ... I hate winter ... I hate winter ... I hate winter ... I hate winter ... I hate winter ... I hate winter ... I hate winter ... I hate winter ... I hate winter ... I hate winter ... I hate winter ... I hate winter ... I hate winter ...

Oh, did I say I hate winter ... ?

Kaylynn44
Mohicanite

Sunset
USA

July 13 2002

Donating Member

Posted - January 26 2004 :  09:11:28 AM  Show Profile  Visit Kaylynn44's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
Rich,
Just keep thinking of June and how nice and HOT it will be. You might want some of this cold weather back.
We also have frozen ice,(no snow) but I don't want to go anywhere. I think that I will just stay home all day.

Kay

~ An Infinite Zephyr~
Some things never end
As long as goodness exists
Winds shall always soothe

www.cloudsbooks.com

Christina
Deerslayer

Vampire
USA

May 27 2002

Posted - January 26 2004 :  11:39:59 AM  Show Profile  Visit Christina's Homepage  Send Christina an AOL message  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
Here, here Rich! I HATE WINTER! We've had about two inches of freezing rain here in Columbia since last night. Last night had to spend 20 minutes in the parking lot defrosting and scraping ice off the Jeep. This morning up and sprinkling rock salt all over our VERY STEEP driveway so neither the Jeep nor my father goes sliding away. Encountered ice patches all over the roads on the way to work.
The already idiotic drivers here in Columbia (believe me, there are a lot of them...) who can't handle rain certainly can't handle freezing rain...even the highway patrol caused a wreck yesterday!
We've had ice and snow of a significant nature for the past four years here. THIS IS WHY I LEFT NEW YORK...
after college and why my parents left Pittsburgh 35 years ago in the first place!
Oh well...at least the outdoor event I had to cover today was cancelled! All of you in the ice and snow pathway, grab a cuppa hot chocolate and be careful out there!
Christina

See this face? This is the face of a woman on the edge.
Whoopi Goldberg, "Jumping Jack Flash"

securemann
Deerslayer

offer of peace
USA

July 08 2002

Posted - January 26 2004 :  12:05:59 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
Rich,are you trying to say that you hate winter? Your post wasn't too clear about your feelings and I had to read between the lines to come to that conclusion.LOL.........We are BRACING for a MOTHER of a storm which will bring us about a foot or so starting tonight.We also been in a deep freeze for quite a while.O.K.,everybody now,1,2,3," WE HATE WINTER,WE HATE WINTER...................

Kaylynn44
Mohicanite

Sunset
USA

July 13 2002

Donating Member

Posted - January 27 2004 :  6:24:00 PM  Show Profile  Visit Kaylynn44's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
Hey Christina,
Did you lose your power? We lost ours yesterday around 11:00 AM and it still hasn't come back on. All of this dang ice has really caused alot of problems!!! How do the people up north deal with all of this mess all winter long!!! Right now we are running off of the generator. I had to get online and check my mail and of course check the LOTM Board. Well, I will talk to y'all later if I ever get my power turned back on. My hubby says that I have been hogging the computer, and I need to let him check his mail, so I will talk to y'all later.

Kay

~ An Infinite Zephyr~
Some things never end

www.cloudsbooks.com

Kaylynn44
Mohicanite

Sunset
USA

July 13 2002

Donating Member

Posted - January 27 2004 :  6:52:08 PM  Show Profile  Visit Kaylynn44's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
I wanted to get online again real quick to show y'all what our "southern" trees look like. I took this picture earlier today, and I hope that I don't goof up when I try to upload the picture. I haven't ever tried to put a picture on the message board, but I'm going to to try and see if I can do it. We had limbs falling everywhere because the ice got so heavy and the limbs just couldn't take all of the weight.

Kay

PS I HATE WINTER!!! Oh, did somebody say that already?

Image Insert:

40.44 KB

~ An Infinite Zephyr~
Some things never end

www.cloudsbooks.com

Chris
Colonial Settler

Hawkeye II
USA

May 25 2002

Posted - January 27 2004 :  9:14:00 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
How do the people up north deal with all of this mess all winter long!!!

Hi Kay,
Those of us up north don't have to deal with that mess because we get snow, not ice. Of course, we get to deal with the cold instead. The wind chill was down to -22 today.
Good luck.
Chris

Wilderness Woman
Watcher of the Wood

Young George Washington
USA

November 27 2002

Donating Member

Posted - January 27 2004 :  9:38:24 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
Chris is right, Kay.

I'm sure we are all feeling for you guys down there right now. When I speak about loving winter and snow and cold weather, I mean just that, not ice or sleet or freezing rain. I don't think anyone enjoys having to deal with an ice storm. They are damaging and dangerous. It's horrible that so many people have died due to this storm.

My thoughts are with all of you down there. Hang on! It will melt soon. And be safe!

"It is more deeply stirring to my blood than any imaginings could possibly have been."

Scott Bubar
Colonial Militia

USA

May 17 2002

Posted - January 27 2004 :  10:41:22 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by Kaylynn44

I wanted to get online again real quick to show y'all what our "southern" trees look like. I took this picture earlier today, and I hope that I don't goof up when I try to upload the picture. I haven't ever tried to put a picture on the message board, but I'm going to to try and see if I can do it. We had limbs falling everywhere because the ice got so heavy and the limbs just couldn't take all of the weight.

Kay

PS I HATE WINTER!!! Oh, did somebody say that already?

Image Insert:

40.44 KB

Lovely picture, Kaylynn. Almost makes me want to get all warm and fuzzy about winter.

~~Aim small, miss small.

Christina
Deerslayer

Vampire
USA

May 27 2002

Posted - January 28 2004 :  2:52:13 PM  Show Profile  Visit Christina's Homepage  Send Christina an AOL message  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by Kaylynn44

Hey Christina,
Did you lose your power? We lost ours yesterday around 11:00 AM and it still hasn't come back on. All of this dang ice has really caused alot of problems!!! How do the people up north deal with all of this mess all winter long!!! Right now we are running off of the generator. I had to get online and check my mail and of course check the LOTM Board. Well, I will talk to y'all later if I ever get my power turned back on. My hubby says that I have been hogging the computer, and I need to let him check his mail, so I will talk to y'all later.

YEP! We lost our power at 6:15 p.m. Monday and STILL don't have it back on. Spent a VERY cold night in the house Monday bundled up with the cats, then yesterday my dad and I took our stuff and the cats next door (YES, RIGHT NEXT DOOR) to our dear friend's house. SHE has had power right through and consequently is now running an impromptu bed and breakfast for her friends and relatives. Still no power this afternoon and I've made yet another call to the electric company. We're trying to be nice...I know there are thousands of folks out...but it's getting a little much because as of now our street and one other just across the lake are the ONLY streets in the area without power. And they claimed there were "trucks in the area..." nope. Haven't seen one. Oh well...there's a possible plan of action. The CEO of the electric company lives in a McMansion in a ritzy community about a mile away. If power doesn't come on, maybe all of us will just take a pleasant little hike over to HIS house and have a little talk with him!
Glad you have a generator, Kaylynn. Hang in there and everybody else stay warm!
Repeat the mantra...I hate winter...I hate winter...I hate winter...

Christina

Kay

Christina
Deerslayer

Vampire
USA

May 27 2002

Posted - January 28 2004 :  2:54:25 PM  Show Profile  Visit Christina's Homepage  Send Christina an AOL message  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
Oh no...I just noticed I posted the reply in the wrong format! MY APOLOGIES...it's the cold eating away at my brain...
I hate winter...I hate winter...I hate winter...

securemann
Deerslayer

offer of peace
USA

July 08 2002

Posted - January 28 2004 :  3:35:31 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
Well,we didn't get the two feet of snow they predicted.We ended up with about five inches which is a mere dusting for us! Now the wind is just blowing the stuff all over.Hope you folks down yonder make out o.k. with all that ice.Now we take a deep breath and wait for the next one.Oh,by the way,I hate winter.

Gadget Girl
Gatherer of Gathering Gadgets

Winking Lady
USA

May 17 2002

Donating Member

Posted - January 28 2004 :  5:17:21 PM  Show Profile  Send Gadget Girl an AOL message  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
Us cats here in Eastern NC have had power (I had been contemplating how to make grilled cheese sandwiches over my gas logs in case we lost power) but we can't get anywhere - Ice, Ice, Baby!!!

I fell this morning walking from the parking lot, had to go to employee health (per my boss) and I walked in and said " Got a new member of the Peggy Fleming Star Search Club here!" I cracked both knee caps (Thank Goodness only the left knee looks like hamburger over a purple superball) and it took me 7 hours to get seen. The first thought I hadwhen I fell was - before I burst into a little tearful moment - HOW MANY PEOPLE SAW THAT??? Pride first - then pain! IT IS UNREAL, how many folks have fallen here. Broken tail bones and broken wrists abound! I WAS LUCKY - No Fractures! I usually like winter, but will join in the group mantra over this one!

GG

Scott Bubar
Colonial Militia

USA

May 17 2002

Posted - January 28 2004 :  5:45:46 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by Gadget Girl

Us cats here in Eastern NC have had power (I had been contemplating how to make grilled cheese sandwiches over my gas logs in case we lost power) but we can't get anywhere - Ice, Ice, Baby!!!

I fell this morning walking from the parking lot, had to go to employee health (per my boss) and I walked in and said " Got a new member of the Peggy Fleming Star Search Club here!" I cracked both knee caps (Thank Goodness only the left knee looks like hamburger over a purple superball) and it took me 7 hours to get seen. The first thought I hadwhen I fell was - before I burst into a little tearful moment - HOW MANY PEOPLE SAW THAT??? Pride first - then pain! IT IS UNREAL, how many folks have fallen here. Broken tail bones and broken wrists abound! I WAS LUCKY - No Fractures! I usually like winter, but will join in the group mantra over this one!

GG

7 hours!?

~~Aim small, miss small.

Gadget Girl
Gatherer of Gathering Gadgets

Winking Lady
USA

May 17 2002

Donating Member

Posted - January 28 2004 :  7:36:56 PM  Show Profile  Send Gadget Girl an AOL message  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
7 hours before employee health could get me in. I know that sounds like nothing for an emergency room, and we do have several thousand employees here at the medical school, but these two nurses didn't know what hit 'em. They usually see 2 or 3 injuries a day, not close to a hundred. I may be rambling here...did you mean "7 hours!?" as in that is a long time or as in that's nothin'? The other thing I didn't make clear was...I didn't sit in EH for 7 hours. I called them and then they called me when they could get to me (like take a number), so I sat at my desk - working - with ice on my knees. HA! That's a bit ironic...crash your knees on the ice and then go put ice on them!

Kaylynn44
Mohicanite

Sunset
USA

July 13 2002

Donating Member

Posted - January 28 2004 :  7:55:17 PM  Show Profile  Visit Kaylynn44's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
Oh Diana!!! I know how it is to fall and your pride gets hurt worse than anything else!!! My husband and I stopped at a little store a few months back to get a snack. We were walking and I didn't see this little drop off, and I fell flat on my face. Skinned up my chin, nose, and forehead. I got up as quick as I could, even though my knee was killing me, and I saw the woman in the store looking at me, and I was so embarrassed!!! so, I know how you feel!!! I just hope that your knees heal very quickly!!! STAY OFF OF THE ICE GIRL!!!

Kay

~ An Infinite Zephyr~
Some things never end

www.cloudsbooks.com

Kaylynn44
Mohicanite

Sunset
USA

July 13 2002

Donating Member

Posted - January 28 2004 :  8:01:51 PM  Show Profile  Visit Kaylynn44's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
Lovely picture, Kaylynn. Almost makes me want to get all warm and fuzzy about winter.
=====================================================================
"Almost" Scott????? I thought that out of everybody here, you were the one that just LOVES winter scenes. Luckily, all of that ice is gone now!!!

Chris and WW,
Right now, I have alot of respect for anybody that lives up north. I know that y'all go through alot with all of the cold and snow, and it is a good thing that y'all love it. I know that I shouldn't really complain because at least I have heat and a little bit of electricity at night time. I know alot of people had to go to shelters because it would have been too cold for them to stay home!!!
I promise not to complain anymore. It could be ALOT worse!!!

Kay

~ An Infinite Zephyr~
Some things never end

www.cloudsbooks.com

Kaylynn44
Mohicanite

Sunset
USA

July 13 2002

Donating Member

Posted - January 28 2004 :  8:10:53 PM  Show Profile  Visit Kaylynn44's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
Oh well...there's a possible plan of action. The CEO of the electric company lives in a McMansion in a ritzy community about a mile away. If power doesn't come on, maybe all of us will just take a pleasant little hike over to HIS house and have a little talk with him!
Christina,
You need to go and knock on his door and tell him that you need to use his bathroom to take a shower since you have no hot water at your house. Let's see how long it takes him to get a crew over there to fix your electricity.
I am still on the generator. We only use it at night, so that we can watch a couple of shows and so that I can get online. I am never going to say another bad word about the light company again, if I ever get my electricity back. You just don't realize how much you take these things for granted until you don't have it anymore!!!
I hope that you are up and running soon. Don't forget to go to his house for your shower. OK?

Kay

~ An Infinite Zephyr~
Some things never end

www.cloudsbooks.com

Wilderness Woman
Watcher of the Wood

Young George Washington
USA

November 27 2002

Donating Member

Posted - January 28 2004 :  8:14:05 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
Ohmigosh, Diana! You sound amazingly cheerful for having two cracked knee caps! Gives me the shivers to think about!

Ice is funny stuff. You can be walking along, gingerly, but successfully one second and the next thing you know... Wham! I always shudder when I think of a fall I took about 17 years ago. My daughter was 2 and I was carrying her, hurrying along an ice and snow covered sidewalk. All of a sudden my foot slipped and I went forward. It's amazing what you do without thinking. I never let go of her. We landed with her flat on her back in the snow... me laying on top of her... with my left elbow bent so that my arm was behind her neck and head. Neither one of us was hurt, but I was frantic to make sure she was OK. She didn't even cry. She just laid there looking up at my face above hers with this puzzled expression. We got up, brushed off the snow and continued on a little more carefully.

Kaylynn44
Mohicanite

Sunset
USA

July 13 2002

Donating Member

Posted - January 28 2004 :  8:26:48 PM  Show Profile  Visit Kaylynn44's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
I always shudder when I think of a fall I took about 17 years ago. My daughter was 2 and I was carrying her, hurrying along an ice and snow covered sidewalk.
WW,
That is what happened to my mom and me when I was a baby, only she was going up steps and they were slippery. She fell but she never let go of me, but unfortunately my chin came into contact with the edge of the steps and I ended up going to the hospital to get stitches in my chin. A few days later, my older sister was pulling me around in a wagon. I fell out and busted my chin open again. so it was back to the hospital. My poor chin has been through alot.

Kay

~ An Infinite Zephyr~
Some things never end

www.cloudsbooks.com

richfed
Sachem

King 1
USA

May 13 2002

Administrator

Posted - January 29 2004 :  05:43:16 AM  Show Profile  Visit richfed's Homepage  Click to see richfed's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
GG -

Cracked both kneecaps?!? OUCH!

When I was in junior HS, I was playing ball in the street [yeah - New York!] and ran full speed into a parked car while chasing a fly ball. After writhing on the ground for a bit, I got up & finished the game - somehow. Next morning, my left knee was the size of a football. I had badly cracked my kneecap & was in a full leg cast for 6 weeks. For years afterward, I had problems - usually every other year - with fluid building up on that knee & having to get it drained. Finally, in my mid-20s, that ceased. Still aches, though, if I am in cramped quarters - like a movie theater.

I feel for you -

Moral: Knees can crack even in the summer!
Page: of 14 Previous Topic: Just my two cents.. Topic Next Topic: Alasdair Fraser Is Coming . . .  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
| More
Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Jump To:

Around The Site:
~ What's New? ~
Pathfinding | Mohican Gatherings | Mohican Musings | LOTM Script | History | Musical Musings | Storefronts on the Frontier
Off the Beaten Trail | Links
Of Special Interest:
The Eric Schweig Gallery | From the Ramparts | The Listening Room | Against All Odds | The Video Clips Index

DISCLAIMER
Tune, 40, used by permission - composed by Ron Clarke

Custom Search

The Mohican Board! [Bumppo's Redux!] © 1997-2024 - Mohican Press Go To Top Of Page
Current Mohicanland page raised in 0.58 seconds Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.07