The Mohican Board! [Bumppo's Redux!]
The Mohican Board! [Bumppo's Redux!]
10/8/2024 3:19:07 PM
On the Trail...Home | Old Mohican Board Archives | Purpose
Events | Polls | Photos | Classifieds | Downloads
Profile | Register | Members | Private Messages
Search | Posting Tips | FAQ | Web Links | Mohican Chat | Blogs
Forum Bookmarks | Unanswered Posts | Preview Topic Photos | Active Topics
Invite a Friend to the Mohican Board | Guestbook | Greeting Cards | Auction (0) | Colonial Recipe Book
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 MOHICANLAND: Community
 Bunkhouse Banter!
 Deep Freeze
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
| More
Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Previous Page | Next Page

Author Previous Topic: Just my two cents.. Topic Next Topic: Alasdair Fraser Is Coming . . .
Page: of 14

Theresa
Bumppo's Tavern Proprietress

Theresa
USA

Bumppo's Patron since [at least]:
May 17 2002

Posted - January 29 2004 :  07:33:26 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
OMIGOD! Diana...ouch!

Do we need to search for dual wheelchairs for you and Soldier #2? Hope you're on the mend and will be romping those hills come June. Take care my friend.

Theresa
report to moderator Go to Top of Page

Kaylynn44
Mohicanite

Sunset
USA

July 13 2002

Donating Member

Posted - January 29 2004 :  11:00:29 AM  Show Profile  Visit Kaylynn44's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
I HAVE ELECTRICITY!!!!!! YAAAAAAAAY!!!! I'm gonna go out and kiss the light pole right now.
Christina, if you don't have any power, I hope that you get it soon!!!

Kay

~ An Infinite Zephyr~
Some things never end
As long as goodness exists
Winds shall always soothe

www.cloudsbooks.com

Stephanie
Gathering Sachemess

Hiking Smurf Avatar
USA

June 23 2002

Donating Member

Posted - January 29 2004 :  2:28:16 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
Well well, the image of a little Rich running full speed into a car... well that explains a LOT!!!!!!!!!!! Just kidding!

Sorry to hear about your fall, GG! I thought you were going to say your first thoguht was, will this affect the Gathering?! I hope that everyone sharing their own falling stories has given you a smile and made you feel better. Mine was on the first day of college, running up the steps.... WHAM!! Down I went.
That was almost as bad as the time I fell off the balance beam during a gymnastics performance. But that's another story....
Heheh take care GG!
Love ya
Stephanie

Scott Bubar
Colonial Militia

USA

May 17 2002

Posted - January 29 2004 :  9:49:03 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by Gadget Girl

7 hours before employee health could get me in. I know that sounds like nothing for an emergency room, and we do have several thousand employees here at the medical school, but these two nurses didn't know what hit 'em. They usually see 2 or 3 injuries a day, not close to a hundred. I may be rambling here...did you mean "7 hours!?" as in that is a long time or as in that's nothin'? The other thing I didn't make clear was...I didn't sit in EH for 7 hours. I called them and then they called me when they could get to me (like take a number), so I sat at my desk - working - with ice on my knees. HA! That's a bit ironic...crash your knees on the ice and then go put ice on them!

I meant "7 hours!?" as in that is a looong time!

Especially when you consider it happened in their parking lot (lawsuit/workmen's comp ).

Ironic that you are surrounded by med students: "Water, water everywhere, but not a drop to drink."

~~Aim small, miss small.

securemann
Deerslayer

offer of peace
USA

July 08 2002

Posted - January 29 2004 :  11:23:08 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
Hope you feel better G.G. Maybe the next time it gets that icy you might want to gear up like those folks do when they roller blade.Get a helmet,elbow pads,and KNEE PADS!LOL! I can't image myself taking a spill like that when I'm in need of a knee reconstruction to start with along with a spinal fusion.Hey Rich,I never noticed any knee problems with you when you ran around work trying to scalp the incarcerated clientele.

Gadget Girl
Gatherer of Gathering Gadgets

Winking Lady
USA

May 17 2002

Donating Member

Posted - January 30 2004 :  1:04:20 PM  Show Profile  Send Gadget Girl an AOL message  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
Hey Jim, I may have to consider that. I always thought I had plenty of padding in the back, and one usualy thinks of falling on ice and landing on your butt. BUT NO!!!! I have to fall face first - graceful creature that I am!

Thanks for the well wishes, guys. Things are just real sore and crunchy, but I feel SOOOOO fortunate not to have fractured my knee cap. In adults that usually buys you a screw (...and not the good kind either!) or some fashion of metal fastener. We only had 2 inches of snow with about an inch of sleet and then frezing rain on that. That was the slickest stuff I've ever seen. My poor old German Shepard (bad hip dysplasia) couldn't manuever at all outside. I had to go out the first time in my jammies and carry her back in V-E-R-Y carefully. Poor thing is still afraid to go outside! Thankfully, all is well now even though the cast companies in this area are much better off!!

Come On Spring!

GG

Chris
Colonial Settler

Hawkeye II
USA

May 25 2002

Posted - January 30 2004 :  9:08:46 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
Wind chills to -26 today, but beautifully clear and sunny!

Kaylynn44
Mohicanite

Sunset
USA

July 13 2002

Donating Member

Posted - January 30 2004 :  11:09:47 PM  Show Profile  Visit Kaylynn44's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
Wind chills to -26 today, but beautifully clear and sunny!
======================================
Chris,
How can you use -26 and beautiful in the same sentence??? OK, I know, you love the cold weather, but it sent chills up my spine just thinking about it being that COLD!!! We are supposed to get more freezing rain on Sunday. UGH!!!

Kay

~ An Infinite Zephyr~
Some things never end

www.cloudsbooks.com

Chris
Colonial Settler

Hawkeye II
USA

May 25 2002

Posted - January 31 2004 :  12:28:06 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
Freezing rain? I think I'd rather have the cold. At least you can put on more layers.
Chris

Theresa
Bumppo's Tavern Proprietress

Theresa
USA

May 17 2002

Posted - January 31 2004 :  09:41:00 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
Ya know, I've never understood the negative degrees thingy. I mean, cold is cold and once you reach cold how can it get any colder? I understand wind chill (and heat index). As for the freezing rain, I'm with you Chris, I'll take cold, clear, and sunny any day over freezing rain. We here in the south don't hand that very well. Oh, today's high here in the sunny south is 43.

Theresa

susquesus
Mad Hermit of the North Woods

Susquesus
USA

September 03 2003

Posted - January 31 2004 :  2:01:04 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
If we reach 0 degrees F today it will be the first time since Tuesday. We've been fortunate enough to have a mass of siberian air over us this week. Yesterday when I went to start my car the air temp was -31F. Ice crystals formed in my nostrils between my back door and my car.
I used the classic Minnesota layering technique:
2 pairs socks, 2 pairs pants, L/S thermal shirt, T-shirt, button down shirt, hooded sweatshirt, Carharrt jacket with waist cinch, scarf, stocking cap, and 2 pairs of mittens.
Have you ever tried to kick the black ice that forms on your wheel wells after several sub-zero days? Don't. Use a hammer. You'll break your foot.
Enjoy your "above-zero" weather if you've got it!

susquesus

Susquesus
USA

September 03 2003

Posted - January 31 2004 :  2:26:52 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
Halleleujah! I just checked and it's -1F, almost there. It's snowing too! Here's a couple of pics of a local tradition, the Winter Carnival Ice Palace. This is the first palace that you can actually walk through since 1947. It's about mile from my apartment.

Image Insert:

70.44 KB

Image Insert:

18.6 KB

Chris
Colonial Settler

Hawkeye II
USA

May 25 2002

Posted - January 31 2004 :  2:38:01 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
Today it's cloudy, but we're still stuck right about zero. The ice palace is magnificent. Thanks for posting the pictures.
Chris

Kaylynn44
Mohicanite

Sunset
USA

July 13 2002

Donating Member

Posted - January 31 2004 :  3:38:01 PM  Show Profile  Visit Kaylynn44's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
WOW Susquesus!!! That is really pretty!!! Almost makes me like ice again.

Kay

~ An Infinite Zephyr~
Some things never end

www.cloudsbooks.com

Wilderness Woman
Watcher of the Wood

Young George Washington
USA

November 27 2002

Donating Member

Posted - January 31 2004 :  4:49:06 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
Gorgeous! I love the pale aqua color of the ice. That would be something to see. Reminds me of the Ice Hotel in... is it Sweden? I like the cold but I don't know as my love for it goes as far as sleeping in a huge block of ice. Brrrrrrr.

susquesus

Susquesus
USA

September 03 2003

Posted - February 03 2004 :  3:32:01 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
You know it's been cold for too long when:

the local weatherman starts to call it a heat deficit.
everybody's car tires are low on air.
snow and ice don't melt on the inside of your car.
black ice on the roads.
the ice fishing is really good.
you don't leave your home for days on end.
the homeless guy that hangs out in the doorway down the street sleeps all day under a rug.
your humidifier is working overtime.
coffee consumption spikes.

Any more?

Kaylynn44
Mohicanite

Sunset
USA

July 13 2002

Donating Member

Posted - February 03 2004 :  4:09:20 PM  Show Profile  Visit Kaylynn44's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
How about......

Instead of the finger, New Yorkers giving each other the mitten.
People buying hot roasted chestnuts to put in their pants.
Times Square strip clubs advertising "Live Heavily-Dressed Girls!"
Lawyers put their hands in their own pockets.

Kay

~ An Infinite Zephyr~
Some things never end

www.cloudsbooks.com

Wilderness Woman
Watcher of the Wood

Young George Washington
USA

November 27 2002

Donating Member

Posted - February 03 2004 :  4:59:31 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
Ooooo... good ones, Kay! I especially like the New York mitten one.

How about these:
When backing out of your driveway, you can't see oncoming cars because the snow banks are higher than your car windows.
You stroke your cat, sparks fly, the cat jumps and gives you a dirty look.
Your hands are so dry, they feel like fish scales.
When you take off your hat, your hair stands on end.
The highlight of your day is curling up on the bed under a down comforter to read or watch tv and get warm.
Every animal hair in the house jumps off the floor and onto your good wool slacks.
There's so much snow piled along the sides of the street, there's only room for one-lane traffic.
Your outdoors cat, who hates being in the house, wants to do nothing but sleep on your bed.

But how about the best one of all:

Nine months from now, the hospitals will be full from another Baby Boom!

"It is more deeply stirring to my blood than any imaginings could possibly have been."

Wilderness Woman
Watcher of the Wood

Young George Washington
USA

November 27 2002

Donating Member

Posted - February 04 2004 :  08:17:03 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
I got this photo today and thought it appropriate for this discussion.

When will winter be over?!?

Image Insert:

33.56 KB

Kaylynn44
Mohicanite

Sunset
USA

July 13 2002

Donating Member

Posted - February 04 2004 :  08:37:14 AM  Show Profile  Visit Kaylynn44's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
Awwwwww, that is adorable!!! The kitty looks nice and warm.

Kay

~ An Infinite Zephyr~
Some things never end

www.cloudsbooks.com

Scott Bubar
Colonial Militia

USA

May 17 2002

Posted - February 07 2004 :  11:10:03 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
This bit on New Englanders and the weather was posted elsewhere by lapsed board member Thomas McDonald:

quote:
Thought this was good enough to pass along.....
>
>
>60 F: Southern Californians shiver uncontrollably.
>People in New England sunbathe.
>
>50 F: New Yorkers try to turn on the heat.
>People in New England plant gardens.
>
>40 F: Italian & English cars won't start.
>People in New England drive with the windows down.
>
>32 F: Distilled water freezes.
>Maine's Moose head Lake's water gets thicker.
>
>20 F: Floridians don coats, thermal underwear, gloves, wool hats.
>People in New England throw on a flannel shirt.
>
>15 F: New York landlords finally turn up the heat.
>People in New England have the last cookout before it gets cold.
>
>0 F: All the people in Miami die.
>New Englanders close the windows.
>
>10 below zero: Californians fly away to Mexico.
>The Girl Scouts in New England are selling cookies door to door.
>
>25 below zero: Hollywood disintegrates.
>People in New England get out their winter coats.
>
>40 below zero: Washington DC runs out of hot air.
>People in New England let the dogs sleep indoors.
>
>100 below zero: Santa Claus abandons the North
>Pole.
>New Englanders get frustrated because they can't start their "kahs."
>
>460 below zero: All atomic motion stops (absolute
>zero on the Kelvin scale).
>People in New England start saying, "cold 'nuff for ya?"
>
>500 below zero: Hell freezes over.
>The Red Sox win the World Series.

Perhaps this speaks to Theresa's query about the below-zero thing!

~~Aim small, miss small.

Wilderness Woman
Watcher of the Wood

Young George Washington
USA

November 27 2002

Donating Member

Posted - February 07 2004 :  1:58:43 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
Excellent!

My personal favorite is... 15 F: New York [City] landlords finally turn up the heat. People in New England [and Upstate New York!] have the last cookout before it gets cold.

I have literally walked outdoors when there is 2 feet of snow on the ground, a brisk breeze blowing, and the thermometer reading well below freezing... and smelled barbecuing meat wafting along with the breeze! Soon's I find out which neighbor that is, I'll be joinin' 'em fer dinner!

securemann
Deerslayer

offer of peace
USA

July 08 2002

Posted - February 07 2004 :  4:11:07 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
Talking about the Red Sox and freezing,I wonder how cold it is in the storage where the Late Red Sox Great Ted Williams is preserved?

Chris
Colonial Settler

Hawkeye II
USA

May 25 2002

Posted - February 07 2004 :  5:07:03 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
Someday I'll tell you the details of our July 4th barbeque in Barrow. Despite the hurricane force winds and snow in the air, we were determined to celebrate with a picnic. It was so windy that we had to put up plywood shields to keep the fire lit, and when our hands were too cold to zip our jackets, we finally relented and put on mittens. Do you know how hard it is to keep the mustard off your mittens when you're eating hotdogs?

Kaylynn44
Mohicanite

Sunset
USA

July 13 2002

Donating Member

Posted - February 07 2004 :  8:38:00 PM  Show Profile  Visit Kaylynn44's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
"500 below zero: Hell freezes over.
The Red Sox win the World Series."

And y'all thought that Hell could never freeze over.

Image Insert:

15.34 KB

Kay

~ An Infinite Zephyr~
Some things never end

www.cloudsbooks.com

Page: of 14 Previous Topic: Just my two cents.. Topic Next Topic: Alasdair Fraser Is Coming . . .  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
| More
Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Jump To:

Around The Site:
~ What's New? ~
Pathfinding | Mohican Gatherings | Mohican Musings | LOTM Script | History | Musical Musings | Storefronts on the Frontier
Off the Beaten Trail | Links
Of Special Interest:
The Eric Schweig Gallery | From the Ramparts | The Listening Room | Against All Odds | The Video Clips Index

DISCLAIMER
Tune, 40, used by permission - composed by Ron Clarke

Custom Search

The Mohican Board! [Bumppo's Redux!] © 1997-2024 - Mohican Press Go To Top Of Page
Current Mohicanland page raised in 0.45 seconds Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.07