The Mohican Board! [Bumppo's Redux!]
The Mohican Board! [Bumppo's Redux!]
10/8/2024 11:39:51 AM
On the Trail...Home | Old Mohican Board Archives | Purpose
Events | Polls | Photos | Classifieds | Downloads
Profile | Register | Members | Private Messages
Search | Posting Tips | FAQ | Web Links | Mohican Chat | Blogs
Forum Bookmarks | Unanswered Posts | Preview Topic Photos | Active Topics
Invite a Friend to the Mohican Board | Guestbook | Greeting Cards | Auction (0) | Colonial Recipe Book
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 MOHICANLAND: Community
 Bunkhouse Banter!
 Deep Freeze
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
| More
Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Previous Page | Next Page

Author Previous Topic: Just my two cents.. Topic Next Topic: Alasdair Fraser Is Coming . . .
Page: of 14

CT•Ranger
Colonial Militia

indian ... nicholas
USA

Bumppo's Patron since [at least]:
October 14 2002

Posted - December 06 2003 :  4:36:10 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
A very nice sunny day today in southwestern Michigan. A bit unusual, we've had a very mild sunny december so far, no complaints here. Usually we get all the crap coming off lake Michigan. Hope everyone is ok.

YMHS,
Connecticut•Ranger
Thomas Thacher

report to moderator Go to Top of Page

securemann
Deerslayer

offer of peace
USA

July 08 2002

Posted - December 30 2003 :  11:42:24 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
This time last year I was moanin' and groanin'about all the snow and cold.Now I'm enjoying SPRING and it's going to be around for about at least another week or so.I know it won't last but feels great for now.

Kaylynn44
Mohicanite

Sunset
USA

July 13 2002

Donating Member

Posted - December 31 2003 :  09:07:14 AM  Show Profile  Visit Kaylynn44's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
It's been beautiful here in Carolina!!! I love the mild winters. Not too fond of snow and slush and all that comes with winter!!! Give me spring any time!!!

Kay

~ An Infinite Zephyr~
Some things never end
As long as goodness exists
Winds shall always soothe

www.cloudsbooks.com

securemann
Deerslayer

offer of peace
USA

July 08 2002

Posted - January 08 2004 :  10:52:58 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
I REALLY enjoyed all the mild weather before and after the holidays but I knew it wouldn't last.It felt so much like spring around here that I almost forgot it was winter.That is changing real quick.The DEEP FREEZE is back with vengeance and man it's going to get brutal for the next 3 day's or so.There's one good thing about this cold believe it or not.My freezer is on the blink and I don't have to worry about my food spoiling because all I have to do is put it outside!

Kaylynn44
Mohicanite

Sunset
USA

July 13 2002

Donating Member

Posted - January 09 2004 :  08:31:47 AM  Show Profile  Visit Kaylynn44's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
Yes, it was like spring again, but then all of this cold weather came back!!! But I guess that it came back just in time for you:-)

Kay

~ An Infinite Zephyr~
Some things never end

www.cloudsbooks.com

Tim Cordell
Pioneer

USA

July 18 2002

Posted - January 09 2004 :  11:18:08 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
Lake George is still open...Rush pond & Glen lake are frozen.. We have taken some perch out of Glen through the ice. Both of these bodies of water are near the "5 mile run" up to Fort William Henry. High temp. today...4 above. I expect 18 to 22 below tonight. We have had 2 ice quakes this evening at around 9 p.m. It sounds and feels like someone slammed the front door and is rather disturbing because we know that no one is out visiting tonight.I have my sweater, polar fleece vest and touque on while I work on a rush portrait..I feel like Bob Crachett. My neighbors won't stop over because they don't want to cross the road. Tim

Tim Cordell

Wilderness Woman
Watcher of the Wood

Young George Washington
USA

November 27 2002

Donating Member

Posted - January 09 2004 :  11:24:29 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
We now have large patches of ice floating down the rivers. Sometimes they freeze completely over. The ice fishermen are hoping that the cold will remain here so the lakes and reservoirs will freeze over. The local Crappie Derby is held in February, so they have a few more weeks to see what happens.

Doc M
Great Quack Healer of the Frontier

Wicked Unicorn
USA

May 17 2002

Posted - January 10 2004 :  10:39:53 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
This would be what in my professional opinion we call Holy S**t!!!
weather...as this seems to be the phrase that springs to my lips
everytime I trundle my poor creaky arthritically-kneed body out
the front door. Today, however, we will supposedly reach a high
of 10 degrees. Woohoo! Where'd I put my suntan lotion???

Doc M

securemann
Deerslayer

offer of peace
USA

July 08 2002

Posted - January 10 2004 :  9:05:38 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
This morning we came in at -25 F with wind factor.Tomorrow we might have a heat wave of about 15 to 20 above.

Tim Cordell
Pioneer

USA

July 18 2002

Posted - January 13 2004 :  10:39:34 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
Warnings posted..Wind Chill -35 Lake George. Rutland Vermont...-50. "Goin' to Carolina in my mind"

Tim Cordell

securemann
Deerslayer

offer of peace
USA

July 08 2002

Posted - January 14 2004 :  10:37:12 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
Man,it's brutal.Hope everyone else is doing good.Tonight and tomorrow will be unreal.Talking 'bout -30 F wind chill 'round these parts too.COLD.....

Wilderness Woman
Watcher of the Wood

Young George Washington
USA

November 27 2002

Donating Member

Posted - January 14 2004 :  1:30:03 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
Minus 17 here last night, without considering the windchill factor.

Mmmmmmm..... Brisk!! Makes me feel like I'm back in the North Country!

Cherie
Colonial Settler

Bug
USA

July 02 2002

Posted - January 15 2004 :  5:26:19 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
I'm cold....and I can't warm up

Support our Country, our President and our Troops

Kaylynn44
Mohicanite

Sunset
USA

July 13 2002

Donating Member

Posted - January 15 2004 :  5:43:30 PM  Show Profile  Visit Kaylynn44's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
Cherie,
Just keep drinking your warm cocoa or hot coffee or whatever you have in that mug.
It's a little chilly here, but not cold. It's about 63 degrees right now. Y'all come on down south.

Kay

~ An Infinite Zephyr~
Some things never end

www.cloudsbooks.com

securemann
Deerslayer

offer of peace
USA

July 08 2002

Posted - January 15 2004 :  8:12:03 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
63 degrees?!! We are about the same but put a minus in front of the 63! Tonight will set some records.I think all the years that I've lived here tonight will be the coldest.This is some brutal blast we are getting.

susquesus
Mad Hermit of the North Woods

Susquesus
USA

September 03 2003

Posted - January 15 2004 :  8:19:19 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
Oh boo-hoo. Try living on the frozen Minnesota tundra for awhile, y'all will come around. What about sledding, saunas, ice fishing, snow-shoeing, skiing- all great things. How will you ever appreciate your summer months without some cold, dark winter months to contrast?

Tim Cordell
Pioneer

USA

July 18 2002

Posted - January 15 2004 :  11:05:10 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
There is something almost spiritual about how we tuck-in and endure this extreme cold weather. To have warmth and companionship only a doorstep away from a quick and frightful death. Susquesus has made an insightful comment. When the warm weather returns it will be so much appreciated! To smell the earth again after months of darkness and dangerous cold is a grand experience indeed. I was asked today if I planned to move south when I retire. Who would want to move away from such life experiences???

Tim Cordell

Grenouille
Colonial Settler

May 17 2002

Posted - January 16 2004 :  12:21:46 AM  Show Profile  Visit Grenouille's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
This is the weather forecast from one of my favorite places, Quebec City, Quebec. It's -17 there right now with a wind chill of -41. euw la la!!!!!!!

http://www.weather.com/outlook/travel/local/CAXX0385?from=search_city

Lady Ann
Pioneer

USA

May 20 2002

Posted - January 16 2004 :  09:16:50 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
Yesterday we hit 75 degrees down here in the land of the Mouse, but today our high is only supposed to be 72. Brrrrrrrr...these brutal winters are killing me!

Cherie
Colonial Settler

Bug
USA

July 02 2002

Posted - January 16 2004 :  10:01:03 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
Oh Dear Lady Ann... The cruelty you show. You chastise your weather in the face of the frozen few. We curse you and your weather .

(i'll be there in a couple of hours if they can get the planes off the ground. )

Support our Country, our President and our Troops

Wilderness Woman
Watcher of the Wood

Young George Washington
USA

November 27 2002

Donating Member

Posted - January 16 2004 :  12:48:24 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by Tim Cordell

There is something almost spiritual about how we tuck-in and endure this extreme cold weather. To have warmth and companionship only a doorstep away from a quick and frightful death. Susquesus has made an insightful comment. When the warm weather returns it will be so much appreciated! To smell the earth again after months of darkness and dangerous cold is a grand experience indeed. I was asked today if I planned to move south when I retire. Who would want to move away from such life experiences???

Ahhhh... A man of wisdom, indeed! I find winter in New York invigorating and never, ever boring!

To review my thoughts on "Winter In The Wilderness", see Page One of this thread.

securemann
Deerslayer

offer of peace
USA

July 08 2002

Posted - January 16 2004 :  2:24:19 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
Just wondering about all you folks that enjoy the deep freeze.Did anyone of you's ever consider joining the polar bear club like the one in Brooklyn,N.Y. where you's can splash and make merry in the frigid waters and act like nothing is bothering you?

Stephanie
Gathering Sachemess

Hiking Smurf Avatar
USA

June 23 2002

Donating Member

Posted - January 16 2004 :  2:58:10 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
Well one consolation for all you Mohicanlanders who are freezing right now: maybe you won't have so many bugs this summer. So, about July when you are sitting in front of an open window enjoying the breeze and fresh air, think of Lady Ann perspiring down in Fl. and swatting mosquitoes!
bzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz
Stephanie

securemann
Deerslayer

offer of peace
USA

July 08 2002

Posted - January 16 2004 :  3:49:34 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
That's not true Stephanie!! We had a brutal winter last year and in July I was engaged in hand-to-hand combat with yellow jackets.I have never seen soooo many hornets in my life.I fought with them well into the end of October.I guess I better get ready again this year and get some WMD's for those suckers.They actually start to attack in April.Sting,stang,stung.

securemann
Deerslayer

offer of peace
USA

July 08 2002

Posted - January 16 2004 :  3:56:23 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
Mosquitoes too!!!
Page: of 14 Previous Topic: Just my two cents.. Topic Next Topic: Alasdair Fraser Is Coming . . .  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
| More
Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Jump To:

Around The Site:
~ What's New? ~
Pathfinding | Mohican Gatherings | Mohican Musings | LOTM Script | History | Musical Musings | Storefronts on the Frontier
Off the Beaten Trail | Links
Of Special Interest:
The Eric Schweig Gallery | From the Ramparts | The Listening Room | Against All Odds | The Video Clips Index

DISCLAIMER
Tune, 40, used by permission - composed by Ron Clarke

Custom Search

The Mohican Board! [Bumppo's Redux!] © 1997-2024 - Mohican Press Go To Top Of Page
Current Mohicanland page raised in 0.67 seconds Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.07