The Mohican Board! [Bumppo's Redux!]
The Mohican Board! [Bumppo's Redux!]
10/8/2024 9:48:45 AM
On the Trail...Home | Old Mohican Board Archives | Purpose
Events | Polls | Photos | Classifieds | Downloads
Profile | Register | Members | Private Messages
Search | Posting Tips | FAQ | Web Links | Mohican Chat | Blogs
Forum Bookmarks | Unanswered Posts | Preview Topic Photos | Active Topics
Invite a Friend to the Mohican Board | Guestbook | Greeting Cards | Auction (0) | Colonial Recipe Book
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 MOHICANLAND: Community
 Bunkhouse Banter!
 Deep Freeze
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
| More
Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Previous Page | Next Page

Author Previous Topic: Just my two cents.. Topic Next Topic: Alasdair Fraser Is Coming . . .
Page: of 14

securemann
Deerslayer

offer of peace
USA

Bumppo's Patron since [at least]:
July 08 2002

Posted - April 06 2003 :  1:02:37 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
Can you believe it? We are getting a snow storm tomorrow!! They are calling for a total of 10 inches.This is well beyond being sick of snow. Scott,did you say those Canadians have something to do with this?
report to moderator Go to Top of Page

Scott Bubar
Colonial Militia

USA

May 17 2002

Posted - April 06 2003 :  6:17:24 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by securemann

Can you believe it? We are getting a snow storm tomorrow!! They are calling for a total of 10 inches.This is well beyond being sick of snow. Scott,did you say those Canadians have something to do with this?

Haven't you noticed?

During the winter, it seems like every tim you watch the weather report and cold weather is coming, there are those arrows, heading down from Canada.

But in the summer, when we're sweltering and in need of a bit of that cool northern air, do they send it down? No indeed. They keep it all to themselves.

~~Aim small, miss small.

Scott Bubar
Colonial Militia

USA

May 17 2002

Posted - April 07 2003 :  07:18:58 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
Woke up this morning to hear there is 5-10" of the nasty stuff on the way.

Aaarghh...

Anyone remember the Blizzard of 1888?

~~Aim small, miss small.

Wilderness Woman
Watcher of the Wood

Young George Washington
USA

November 27 2002

Donating Member

Posted - April 07 2003 :  10:02:34 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
Yeah... I had to dig my boots out this morning, but forgot my gloves. At least it won't hang around too long......... will it??

I don't remember what year it was... sometime in the early 1800s I think... but there was a time in New England when it snowed in every month except July and August of that year. It killed all the crops and gardens and created an extreme hardship on folks.

securemann
Deerslayer

offer of peace
USA

July 08 2002

Posted - April 07 2003 :  2:28:40 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
The last major blizzard here was on April 6,1982.Here we go again!

securemann
Deerslayer

offer of peace
USA

July 08 2002

Posted - April 08 2003 :  11:37:20 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
We didn't have a major blizzard but had our share of snow and ice! Got about 4 inches but the sleet is what caused the problems.As usual,cars flipping over,etc.I sure hope this is it.

Wilderness Woman
Watcher of the Wood

Young George Washington
USA

November 27 2002

Donating Member

Posted - April 08 2003 :  12:29:04 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by securemann

...I sure hope this is it.

Don't hold your breath, Securemann!

We got about the same amount, but perhaps less of the sleet. It was a little crusty on top of the snow, but not too bad.

Stephanie
Gathering Sachemess

Hiking Smurf Avatar
USA

June 23 2002

Donating Member

Posted - April 10 2003 :  12:37:26 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
Here we go again! Heavy snow with *thunder* here in Mohicanland. The last time I heard thunder with snow was in the Blizzard of 93. Rich were you living here then?

steph

richfed
Sachem

King 1
USA

May 13 2002

Administrator

Posted - April 10 2003 :  4:00:20 PM  Show Profile  Visit richfed's Homepage  Click to see richfed's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
Yes, I was! I lived near Chimney Rock then, but worked up here in Marion ... We actually lost power at the post office & had to work in the dark & do window transactions the old-fashioned way - manually. Of course, there was a scarcity of customers, so we ended up closing early that day. The one & only time hours have been curtailed in my postal career - which dates back to '87.

Today, we're just getting torrential rain, but my son, who lives on the other side of town, says he got snow. I know they got a significant amount up in North Cove [Masscre Valley] & at Linville ...

Sunny & warm beginning this weekend, though! So, I hauled my chain saw, weedeater, & BillyGoat mower [a monster!] up for servicing this AM - I'm ready!

Theresa
Bumppo's Tavern Proprietress

Theresa
USA

May 17 2002

Posted - April 10 2003 :  4:04:17 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
Ah, the blizzard of '93. Remember it well and I too recall that thunder snow, Stephanie. Today here in the heart of Dixie we are experiencing cold rain and temps in the low 40's but by the weekend we're looking at warmer and sunny.

Theresa

Stephanie
Gathering Sachemess

Hiking Smurf Avatar
USA

June 23 2002

Donating Member

Posted - April 10 2003 :  8:25:41 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
Well be thankful for your rain! It took me over 3 hours to get home from work today. And I got home to discover the power was out, but it was restored within a few hours, thank goodness! And we might get more snow tonight....

securemann
Deerslayer

offer of peace
USA

July 08 2002

Posted - April 10 2003 :  9:29:11 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
Now we are getting the rain.But I might feel "springy" by Sunday.I'm keeping my fingers crossed!

securemann
Deerslayer

offer of peace
USA

July 08 2002

Posted - April 14 2003 :  4:34:15 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
O.K.,Tomorrow is going to be pretty close to 80!! But Thursday is going way down to the 30's with a chance of snow! What??!!!!

securemann
Deerslayer

offer of peace
USA

July 08 2002

Posted - April 17 2003 :  5:38:40 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
I think we made alittle weather history here.Yesterday was in the 80's and the kids were out in their bathing suits having water fights.Within 12 hours,the temp dropped 50 degrees and those same kids are out today with coats and gloves.Well, at least we didn't get the snow and sleet,hopefully. Crazy.

securemann
Deerslayer

offer of peace
USA

July 08 2002

Posted - April 23 2003 :  7:51:16 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
All we do is get teased around here with spring.Had nice weather for a trifle and right back to the 20's with light snow!

securemann
Deerslayer

offer of peace
USA

July 08 2002

Posted - April 30 2003 :  10:49:21 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
Ok Deep Freeze,Time to let you go.We will never forget your rotten cold winter with all the ice and snow.Time to enjoy better weather now,see you in six months or so.No rush for the slush,bye!

Chris
Colonial Settler

Hawkeye II
USA

May 25 2002

Posted - September 22 2003 :  10:49:38 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
Hey! WE GOT SNOW!! Not much. Just a few flurries in town, but the mountains are all white and some of the surrounding towns got a couple of inches. Just thought I'd let you know. IT'S COMING!

Chris

Theresa
Bumppo's Tavern Proprietress

Theresa
USA

May 17 2002

Posted - September 22 2003 :  5:18:36 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
You've got to be kidding!!

Tomorrow is the first day of autumn. We're in a rainy day situation here in the deep south...needed it though...things were getting a bit dry.

SNOW! Imagine that...we're lucky if we see any during the dead of winter. Enjoy, Chris.

Theresa

securemann
Deerslayer

offer of peace
USA

July 08 2002

Posted - December 04 2003 :  9:32:40 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
OK,time to squawk and carry on.Seems like this is going to be a popular forum once AGAIN! Heard the folks down yonder got blasted.We have been freezing here for the past three day's.Wind chill about 5 degrees.They are calling for a major storm this weekend and said that this is just the start of something big.Maybe even worse than last year.Here we go!

Chris
Colonial Settler

Hawkeye II
USA

May 25 2002

Posted - December 04 2003 :  10:03:43 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply

OK, you guys. No whining about the temperature until you equal our -33 wind chill on Tuesday. Fortunately I had bus duty Monday morning when it was only -26. We got about 24" of snow in November too. Of course, we can't whine either after all the fuss we made about our non-winter last year.
Good luck.
Chris

Wilderness Woman
Watcher of the Wood

Young George Washington
USA

November 27 2002

Donating Member

Posted - December 04 2003 :  10:37:40 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
That's right, Jim! We here in the Southern Tier are being warned about that storm coming in tomorrow, also. Got the snow shovels out of the garage and ready to go. Hunkerin' down for winter now...

securemann
Deerslayer

offer of peace
USA

July 08 2002

Posted - December 05 2003 :  4:12:38 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
My daughter attends college in Dobbs Ferry and lives just south in Yonkers.What is normally a 13 minute ride turned into a 2 hour one complete with ice and flipping cars.She called me from her cell phone while she was bumper to bumper along with the other cars.She was scared to death and thought that she would never get home.I felt so helpless at the other end of the phone.All I could say was to take it easy and pray.I hate this weather!

Scott Bubar
Colonial Militia

USA

May 17 2002

Posted - December 06 2003 :  08:27:31 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
My office is a mile from my home. It took me an hour to get home yesterday.

It took Pauline five hours to drive to the town next door, pick up our son, and return.

That old picture of Trunk Bay on the 'fridge is looking mighty good.

www.stjohnisland.com

~~Aim small, miss small.

Wilderness Woman
Watcher of the Wood

Young George Washington
USA

November 27 2002

Donating Member

Posted - December 06 2003 :  10:03:55 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
Yeah, you guys started getting it hours before we did in Binghamton. What a mess it must have been for you!

We are in the throes of it now, as I type this. Several inches on the ground and more coming.

Ain't it purty?

Acckkk!! Put those tomahawks away!!

securemann
Deerslayer

offer of peace
USA

July 08 2002

Posted - December 06 2003 :  3:03:39 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
Hope everybody is doing ok during this storm.We are getting blasted with high winds,drifts,and COLD as I write.
Page: of 14 Previous Topic: Just my two cents.. Topic Next Topic: Alasdair Fraser Is Coming . . .  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
| More
Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Jump To:

Around The Site:
~ What's New? ~
Pathfinding | Mohican Gatherings | Mohican Musings | LOTM Script | History | Musical Musings | Storefronts on the Frontier
Off the Beaten Trail | Links
Of Special Interest:
The Eric Schweig Gallery | From the Ramparts | The Listening Room | Against All Odds | The Video Clips Index

DISCLAIMER
Tune, 40, used by permission - composed by Ron Clarke

Custom Search

The Mohican Board! [Bumppo's Redux!] © 1997-2024 - Mohican Press Go To Top Of Page
Current Mohicanland page raised in 0.48 seconds Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.07