The Mohican Board! [Bumppo's Redux!]
The Mohican Board! [Bumppo's Redux!]
10/8/2024 7:38:16 AM
On the Trail...Home | Old Mohican Board Archives | Purpose
Events | Polls | Photos | Classifieds | Downloads
Profile | Register | Members | Private Messages
Search | Posting Tips | FAQ | Web Links | Mohican Chat | Blogs
Forum Bookmarks | Unanswered Posts | Preview Topic Photos | Active Topics
Invite a Friend to the Mohican Board | Guestbook | Greeting Cards | Auction (0) | Colonial Recipe Book
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 MOHICANLAND: Community
 Bunkhouse Banter!
 Deep Freeze
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
| More
Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Previous Page | Next Page

Author Previous Topic: Just my two cents.. Topic Next Topic: Alasdair Fraser Is Coming . . .
Page: of 14

richfed
Sachem

King 1
USA

Bumppo's Patron since [at least]:
May 13 2002

Administrator

Posted - March 14 2003 :  05:35:51 AM  Show Profile  Visit richfed's Homepage  Click to see richfed's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by securemann

Well we got our snow and ice and car accidents all over.The temp is going down to the deep freeze level again tonight.Man,I love this stuff! By the way Rich,do you happen to have any psychotropic neuroleptic meds left over from the old days that you might have smuggled out? If so,kindly send some due north.

Sorry, Jimbo ... used them all up over these past 5 and a half months, except for one, of course. You know the old Indian Wars saying, "Save the last bullet for yourself!"

I hate to say this, but we inched into the 70s yesterday! Felt soooooooo good! We even shut our furnace off - oh, wait, we ran out of oil!

Spring may have sprung here ...
report to moderator Go to Top of Page

Theresa
Bumppo's Tavern Proprietress

Theresa
USA

May 17 2002

Posted - March 14 2003 :  05:56:47 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
Same here, Rich. Sunny and seventy, pretty good combination if you ask me. And don't go pickin' yer peaches 'for they fuzz up good...we'll probably have another cold snap before it warms up for good. You know how it is here in the South, if you don't like the weather stick around, it'll change in a minute.

Theresa

Wilderness Woman
Watcher of the Wood

Young George Washington
USA

November 27 2002

Donating Member

Posted - March 14 2003 :  08:38:24 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by Theresa

You know how it is here in the South, if you don't like the weather stick around, it'll change in a minute.

We say that around these parts of New Yawk too! However, I have two favorite sayings about Binghamton weather:

1. They call Binghamton, which sits at the confluence of the Chenango and Susquehanna Rivers, "Sinus Valley."

2. They say that Binghamton is "The Place Where The Clouds Come To Die!"

Hang in there, Securemann... I hear it could get into the 50's in the southern part of New Yawk this weekend! Oh, man! That means the grass will start to grow!

securemann
Deerslayer

offer of peace
USA

July 08 2002

Posted - March 14 2003 :  10:19:17 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
I'm hanging on W.W. One more night of freeze then out comes the beach chairs!! Whoopie!

securemann
Deerslayer

offer of peace
USA

July 08 2002

Posted - March 15 2003 :  12:53:43 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
Wow,I see some grass! The next three days in the 50's! I'm speechless.

Wilderness Woman
Watcher of the Wood

Young George Washington
USA

November 27 2002

Donating Member

Posted - March 15 2003 :  2:09:26 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by securemann

Wow,I see some grass!

Oh No!!
Is it growing???

What a beautiful, bright, sun-shiny day! It almost gives me Spring Fever!

securemann
Deerslayer

offer of peace
USA

July 08 2002

Posted - March 15 2003 :  4:36:55 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
Ain't it the truth.Feels great! The grass is brown but it's better than all white!

Cherie
Colonial Settler

Bug
USA

July 02 2002

Posted - March 17 2003 :  10:18:54 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
securemann....You just need to face it.....MOVE SOUTH.... much warmer I hear...... or accourding to Chris, move to Alaska, had less snow this year.

Support our Country, our President and our Troops

securemann
Deerslayer

offer of peace
USA

July 08 2002

Posted - March 17 2003 :  12:23:25 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
I wish I could move south.I just have TOO many ties up here at the present time. But hey,it's warmer now!!

Wilderness Woman
Watcher of the Wood

Young George Washington
USA

November 27 2002

Donating Member

Posted - March 17 2003 :  4:14:24 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
Chris? Are you there? How are things in Anchorage?

My boss just told me that a woman who works for National Industries For The Blind in Alexandria, Virginia (the "parent" agency to the one I work for) received a special honor recently.

She is totally blind, attended the Ski For Light in Anchorage, and was chosen to be an honorary rider in a sled during the ceremonial 11 mile stretch of the Iditarod! I don't know whose sled she rode in, but I have a photo of her all snuggled down and ready to go.

How cool is that?!? I am jealous! I think that would be a blast.

Theresa

Theresa
USA

May 17 2002

Posted - March 17 2003 :  5:18:46 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
W.W., I live about 30 minutes south of AIDB (Alabama Institute for the Deaf and Blind) and National Geographic has been there the past several days doing a magazine spread (and I think the tv crew was there, too). They told us it will be about 18 months before the issue comes out. You ought to see the "Silent Warriors" play basketball.

Theresa

Wilderness Woman
Watcher of the Wood

Young George Washington
USA

November 27 2002

Donating Member

Posted - March 18 2003 :  09:42:01 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
This just in regarding the blind woman who rode in a dog sled:

Subject: Pat Beattie has gone to the Dogs!

By Peter Silberblatt, Public Policy Administrative Assistant, National Industries For The Blind.

She will open the Iditarod in Alaska. While attending Ski for Light, a cross country ski week for blind skiers, Pat was lucky enough to be selected to ride on one of the dog sleds in the opening of this famous race from Anchorage to Nome.

The start of the Iditarod will take place as scheduled on Saturday, March 1, at 10:00 a.m. in downtown Anchorage. The re-start will take place on Monday, March 3 at 10:00 a.m. on the Chena River in Fairbanks due to the lack of snow in Anchorage. [Just what Chris had been telling us!]

They are shoveling snow along an 11 mile track through downtown Anchorage for the opening ceremonies and Pat is hoping to get on the TV news as she is a blind rider and one of the dogs pulling her sled is blind as well, a female named Tyson. Her "musher's" name is Jerry Sousa (as in John Phillip). There should be 64 sleds competing.

In an effort to establish rapport with the huskies, Pat's cologne of choice for the day will be Eau d' Alpo.

Wilderness Woman
Watcher of the Wood

Young George Washington
USA

November 27 2002

Donating Member

Posted - March 19 2003 :  12:19:01 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by Theresa

You ought to see the "Silent Warriors" play basketball.

That would be really neat! Did you know that blind people participate in several kinds of sports? Most notably, there are teams of Blind Bowlers who are capable of achieving scores that are as high as sighted bowlers. There are those who say they can listen to the pins falling and tell which ones are still standing! However, most blind bowlers use sighted spotters to tell them which pins are still up. We have two amateur Blind Bowling teams right here in Binghamton.

Then there's "Beep Ball." This is a form of baseball that is played with balls that beep and bases that buzz. You should see some of them knock 'em outa the park!

Theresa

Theresa
USA

May 17 2002

Posted - March 19 2003 :  1:24:05 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
It simply amazes me when I read of things like this. Every year the students from AIDB participate in our Christmas Parade. They ride on a float and play Christmas music with their band instruments. At our local Boy Scout Camp the leader who runs the trading post and also does a lot of leadership directing is deaf. I can't recall his name but I will ask Claude. To see him "say" the Lord's Prayer will bring you to your knees.

Theresa

Scott Bubar
Colonial Militia

USA

May 17 2002

Posted - March 19 2003 :  1:30:44 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
One of the doctors in my town climbed Mt. Everest last year.

He is well into his sixties.

However, he was upstaged by one of his co-climbers.

A blind man.

~~Aim small, miss small.

Wilderness Woman
Watcher of the Wood

Young George Washington
USA

November 27 2002

Donating Member

Posted - March 19 2003 :  2:34:00 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by Scott Bubar

One of the doctors in my town climbed Mt. Everest last year.

He is well into his sixties.

However, he was upstaged by one of his co-climbers.

A blind man.

Yes! He is an American by the name of Erik Weihenmayer. He has been totally blind since the age of 13, is a world-class athlete, and he has become the first blind climber to climb the traditional Seven Summits. Makes one pause to reflect, doesn't it?

You can read about Erik and see a photo of him here:
http://www.verizonreads.net/champions/erik_weihenmayer.asp

Chris
Colonial Settler

Hawkeye II
USA

May 25 2002

Posted - March 19 2003 :  8:58:30 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
Hi Wilderness Woman,
We're still here in the sun belt, Anchorage, AK. We did have severe wind chills last week, down to -54, but this week was warm and spring-like until today. We actually had a couple of snow flurries today, and it's a little windy again.
My daughter is in Boulder, CO, and it sounds like they're getting several feet of snow there. I'll have to call her tonight and see what's going on.
Spring break starts Monday. I can't wait!
Chris

securemann
Deerslayer

offer of peace
USA

July 08 2002

Posted - March 23 2003 :  10:17:48 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
Is it safe to say goodbye to the DEEP FREEZE thread and say to winter '02,'03 bye and GLAD to see you go you cold and icy no good for nothing....ya'll get my point.

securemann
Deerslayer

offer of peace
USA

July 08 2002

Posted - March 23 2003 :  10:20:00 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
Ah, moving to the King Rich spring forum.

securemann
Deerslayer

offer of peace
USA

July 08 2002

Posted - March 29 2003 :  3:02:15 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
I put my foot in my mouth.We are going to have WINTRY conditons tomorrow with an inch of SNOW!!

Cherie
Colonial Settler

Bug
USA

July 02 2002

Posted - March 30 2003 :  09:58:49 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
Calling for 3 to 6 inches here in VA.

Support our Country, our President and our Troops

richfed
Sachem

King 1
USA

May 13 2002

Administrator

Posted - March 30 2003 :  6:12:05 PM  Show Profile  Visit richfed's Homepage  Click to see richfed's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
We had 3 - 6 today! I ran into it on my way to the hospital to see Sophia this morning [she looked stunning, btw!] ... Quite a shock ... All gone already, though, thankfully!

Back to Spring, me hopes ...

securemann
Deerslayer

offer of peace
USA

July 08 2002

Posted - April 01 2003 :  8:36:29 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
Got some snow today,made it nice and white.April Fools? I wish. Man,It's cold today!!

securemann
Deerslayer

offer of peace
USA

July 08 2002

Posted - April 05 2003 :  11:35:29 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
My brother called me from Tupper Lake.N.Y. and said that they got nailed with a foot of snow! He also said that it's going to snow all weekend up there.For me,well,it's freezing here 18 degrees with sleet,ice and just lousy conditions.It just won't let go!

Scott Bubar
Colonial Militia

USA

May 17 2002

Posted - April 05 2003 :  7:47:11 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
It's all the fault of those Canadians.

~~Aim small, miss small.
Page: of 14 Previous Topic: Just my two cents.. Topic Next Topic: Alasdair Fraser Is Coming . . .  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
| More
Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Jump To:

Around The Site:
~ What's New? ~
Pathfinding | Mohican Gatherings | Mohican Musings | LOTM Script | History | Musical Musings | Storefronts on the Frontier
Off the Beaten Trail | Links
Of Special Interest:
The Eric Schweig Gallery | From the Ramparts | The Listening Room | Against All Odds | The Video Clips Index

DISCLAIMER
Tune, 40, used by permission - composed by Ron Clarke

Custom Search

The Mohican Board! [Bumppo's Redux!] © 1997-2024 - Mohican Press Go To Top Of Page
Current Mohicanland page raised in 0.52 seconds Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.07