The Mohican Board! [Bumppo's Redux!]
The Mohican Board! [Bumppo's Redux!]
10/8/2024 12:32:07 AM
On the Trail...Home | Old Mohican Board Archives | Purpose
Events | Polls | Photos | Classifieds | Downloads
Profile | Register | Members | Private Messages
Search | Posting Tips | FAQ | Web Links | Mohican Chat | Blogs
Forum Bookmarks | Unanswered Posts | Preview Topic Photos | Active Topics
Invite a Friend to the Mohican Board | Guestbook | Greeting Cards | Auction (0) | Colonial Recipe Book
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 MOHICANLAND: Community
 Bunkhouse Banter!
 Deep Freeze
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
| More
Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Previous Page | Next Page

Author Previous Topic: Just my two cents.. Topic Next Topic: Alasdair Fraser Is Coming . . .
Page: of 14

Scott Bubar
Colonial Militia

USA

Bumppo's Patron since [at least]:
May 17 2002

Posted - February 18 2003 :  07:10:04 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
WW--I'm in southwest Connecticut.

Chris--I understand they had to reroute on of the big dogsled races up there this year due to lack of snow.

~~Aim small, miss small.
report to moderator Go to Top of Page

Wilderness Woman
Watcher of the Wood

Young George Washington
USA

November 27 2002

Donating Member

Posted - February 18 2003 :  08:23:31 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
Actually, you know... this snow-pack that we in upstate New York are getting is a very good thing for New York City (as well as for us locally). The Catskill Mtns contain a couple of very large, man-made reservoirs that supply water to the City. The last two years, the Cannonsville and Pepacton Reservoirs have been dangerously low!

You're welcome, NYC!!

Chris
Colonial Settler

Hawkeye II
USA

May 25 2002

Posted - February 18 2003 :  10:20:59 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
Hey, Wilderness Woman, I grew up very close to the Pepacton Reservoir (in the little non-town of Seager), and I'm old enough to remember the controversy when they flooded the farmers out.
As for Alaska, Scott, they cancelled the Iron Dog snowmachine race from Big Lake to Nome to Fairbanks and the Fur Rendezvous dogsled races. The official start of the Iditarod dogsled race to Nome has been moved from Wasilla to Fairbanks. They still plan to hold the ceremonial start in Anchorage, but I have no idea where they are going to find enough snow to do that. My husband had intended to take a musher from the Lower 48 by snowmachine to Nome along with the dogsleds so the musher could familiarize himself with the route before bringing his dogs up here. However, there are 60-80 miles of the route with no snow, and the river ice is iffy, so he decided not to go. The dogsleds are light, but the snowmachines and freight sleds may be too heavy for the ice. Many of the interior villagers are still using their 4wheelers for transporation rather than their snowmachines.
Lainey, that @#&*! global warming is up here!

securemann
Deerslayer

offer of peace
USA

July 08 2002

Posted - February 18 2003 :  10:26:41 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
O.K.,The final score here in Dutchess County,N.Y. is 2 feet of the white garbage and drifts well over 3 feet.I hate to be redundant but winter stinks.Can I get an Amen on that!

Wilderness Woman
Watcher of the Wood

Young George Washington
USA

November 27 2002

Donating Member

Posted - February 18 2003 :  12:26:32 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by Chris

Hey, Wilderness Woman, I grew up very close to the Pepacton Reservoir (in the little non-town of Seager), and I'm old enough to remember the controversy when they flooded the farmers out.

No kidding? What larger village is Seager near? My husband's mother's family is from Delaware Co.... the Downsville area. In fact, some of them were among the original early, early settlers there. I have seen books with old photos of the area before it was flooded. I can imagine there must have been quite a fight about that whole thing.

WW

Chris
Colonial Settler

Hawkeye II
USA

May 25 2002

Posted - February 18 2003 :  11:58:29 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
Seager is south of Arkville which is on Route 28, west of Kingston. Ours is a dead end road, and we lived at the end of the pavement. The dirt road continued a few miles past us. Our family was the first white settlers in the area. My sister is working on the geneology of the family (DuMond). It's fascinating.

Wilderness Woman
Watcher of the Wood

Young George Washington
USA

November 27 2002

Donating Member

Posted - February 19 2003 :  08:12:22 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by Chris

Our family was the first white settlers in the area. My sister is working on the geneology of the family (DuMond).

Yes, genealogy is one of my "passions." I haven't encountered the DuMond name in my husband's family. We have Signor (a Palatine immigrant family), Terry, Rundell/Rundle, Davis among others.

securemann
Deerslayer

offer of peace
USA

July 08 2002

Posted - February 19 2003 :  1:59:51 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
Hey W.W.,I have a passion for genealogy too! I've been doing it for years and have records and charts all over the place.By the way,we are having a heat wave.It's in the 30's !!! :)

Wilderness Woman
Watcher of the Wood

Young George Washington
USA

November 27 2002

Donating Member

Posted - February 19 2003 :  3:37:25 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by securemann

I... have records and charts all over the place.

LOL! Me too! I just put another bookshelf in the bedroom to hold more file folders full of stuff I have printed off the internet. That's in addition to the one in my husband's office! Some day I will get it all organized.

Enjoy that heat wave. Don't know how long it's going to last!

WW

Stephanie
Gathering Sachemess

Hiking Smurf Avatar
USA

June 23 2002

Donating Member

Posted - February 19 2003 :  6:39:15 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
Gosh guys I'm a genealogy addict, too! I've been working on it since I was 15. I love to travel to the places where the lived all over the south... Al. Ga. and Fl. I think I've been to every courthouse in those states LOL But now with the internet you can find so much without all the legwork. It is great to sit inside at my computer and stroll through a cemetery in Fl. while it's snowing outside!! Doesn't quite replace actually being there but close.
maybe we should start a genealogy thread on the board?

stephanie

securemann
Deerslayer

offer of peace
USA

July 08 2002

Posted - February 21 2003 :  6:17:12 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
Ah! In the 40's today.I was sweating believe or not! But ice cometh in da mornin'. Nice while it lasted.

Wilderness Woman
Watcher of the Wood

Young George Washington
USA

November 27 2002

Donating Member

Posted - February 21 2003 :  9:26:32 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by securemann

Ah! In the 40's today.I was sweating believe or not! But ice cometh in da mornin'. Nice while it lasted.

Yes, it was nearly balmy, wasn't It? I actually went outside with my parka unzipped!! Heavens to Betsy! Winter-weather-lady that I am, I really don't like ice storms. Dangerous and destructive.

mohicanwarrior
Pioneer

indian warrior
USA

October 08 2002

Posted - February 22 2003 :  12:12:42 PM  Show Profile  Click to see mohicanwarrior's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
One thing that I hate about any form of coldness is that during school our hearter has been broken for a long time and the school has never fixed it. So everybody is alwaysed bundled up inside. But during the summer time they never turn of the air conditioner because they say it wastes to much electricity which sends the school eletric bill to the celling. mohicanwarrior

Stephanie
Gathering Sachemess

Hiking Smurf Avatar
USA

June 23 2002

Donating Member

Posted - February 23 2003 :  08:06:15 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
Here we go again! Woke up to a surprise snow on the ground, not much yet but still coming down and blowing around. This was NOT in the forecast; how many people out there are without bread and milk hahaha...
I'm starting to think *snow* is a four-letter word. The way things look right now it's hard to imagine how lush and green Mohicanland will be in a couple of months. Holding out for the Gathering...

Stephanie <-----somewhere in the vicinity of Mohicanland although you'd never recognize it.

P.S. Rich do you have snow?

richfed
Sachem

King 1
USA

May 13 2002

Administrator

Posted - February 23 2003 :  08:21:20 AM  Show Profile  Visit richfed's Homepage  Click to see richfed's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
No ... not out this way. It's sunny & breezy. Heading out to Asheville; we shall see!

securemann
Deerslayer

offer of peace
USA

July 08 2002

Posted - February 23 2003 :  9:13:08 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
It rained all weekend with lightning and thunder.All this water on top of 2 feet of snow.Our roads with all the water are now icing up.Snow coming again along with another deep freeze on Tuesday and Wed. Come on already!!

Brenda
Pioneer

Wink
Canada

June 17 2002

Posted - February 24 2003 :  12:17:33 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
Yeah, I've had about enough of this weather as well ... we had a beautiful week last week, temperatures were above 0 degrees, then we got 30 centimetres ( approx. a foot?) of snow over the weekend. Now the temperature is plunging to -13 again.

“They say that you're never as wise as when you're a child. We'll never think that clearly again.”
From Arlington Road (1999)

Bea
Keeper of the Western Door

The Kiss 2
Canada

May 18 2002

Posted - February 24 2003 :  10:53:03 AM  Show Profile  Click to see Bea's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
Yep, same here, Brenda! Our farmers are very happy with the white stuff ( they must have gotten enough now??) but I am so ready for warmer temps and flowers..Over the weekend we went down to -30C. It is sooo depressing....

Carpe Diem

mohicanwarrior
Pioneer

indian warrior
USA

October 08 2002

Posted - February 24 2003 :  9:06:27 PM  Show Profile  Click to see mohicanwarrior's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
Almost thought that we didn't have school this morning, we got 4 inches of snow here in Columbia Missouri. When will the snow ever end, it seems to me that it has be winter for the whole year, but it has only been winter for maybe 3 1/2 months. mohicanwrrior

Wilderness Woman
Watcher of the Wood

Young George Washington
USA

November 27 2002

Donating Member

Posted - February 24 2003 :  9:49:30 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by mohicanwarrior

Almost thought that we didn't have school this morning, we got 4 inches of snow here in Columbia Missouri. When will the snow ever end, it seems to me that it has be winter for the whole year, but it has only been winter for maybe 3 1/2 months. mohicanwrrior

Weren't you the one who was wishing and hoping for lots of snow a while back?? What happened? I thought kids were supposed to Love snow!

richfed
Sachem

King 1
USA

May 13 2002

Administrator

Posted - February 25 2003 :  05:09:06 AM  Show Profile  Visit richfed's Homepage  Click to see richfed's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
Beginning this afternoon, the current forecast here in western NC is calling for snow & ice - the infamous "wintery mix" - over the next couple to three days! That'd be the 4th or 5th such "event" this season - a lot for these parts!

This has not been a very good winter. Has that been said before?!?

Cherie
Colonial Settler

Bug
USA

July 02 2002

Posted - February 25 2003 :  08:30:19 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
Well snow is on its way here AGAIN. Now I am the first to hope for a big snow fall... Heck we usually get around 6 inches in a winter. So far this year we are looking at 26 inches. The kids have missed 8 days of school and are going to have to make those up. BEST NOT have to go longer in the summer........MUST NOT !!! run into MOHICAN TIME . Heck kid will just have to miss the last days of school. That is all there is to it......

Support our Country, our President and our Troops

Bea
Keeper of the Western Door

The Kiss 2
Canada

May 18 2002

Posted - February 25 2003 :  10:01:06 AM  Show Profile  Click to see Bea's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
>>>This has not been a very good winter. Has that been said before?!?<<

No, it hasn't been said but I agree WHOLEHEARTEDLY! Sure, we needed the snow here in Alberta but not the cold temps!! My power/heating bill is going through the roof..Depressing..

Carpe Diem

Lady Ann
Pioneer

USA

May 20 2002

Posted - February 25 2003 :  11:48:29 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
Here in Florida also, we have had our coldest winter in 2 decades. The temperatures descended into the 40s at least three times! Today's weather? Sunny. Low 80s. Normal for this time of year.

I have three spare bedrooms in the house at present...residents of Mohicanland are welcome to come on down and share our wintry weather!

Lady Ann

securemann
Deerslayer

offer of peace
USA

July 08 2002

Posted - February 25 2003 :  11:51:48 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
We are expecting another snow storm Thursday.
Page: of 14 Previous Topic: Just my two cents.. Topic Next Topic: Alasdair Fraser Is Coming . . .  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
| More
Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Jump To:

Around The Site:
~ What's New? ~
Pathfinding | Mohican Gatherings | Mohican Musings | LOTM Script | History | Musical Musings | Storefronts on the Frontier
Off the Beaten Trail | Links
Of Special Interest:
The Eric Schweig Gallery | From the Ramparts | The Listening Room | Against All Odds | The Video Clips Index

DISCLAIMER
Tune, 40, used by permission - composed by Ron Clarke

Custom Search

The Mohican Board! [Bumppo's Redux!] © 1997-2024 - Mohican Press Go To Top Of Page
Current Mohicanland page raised in 0.42 seconds Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.07