The Mohican Board! [Bumppo's Redux!]
The Mohican Board! [Bumppo's Redux!]
10/8/2024 5:25:48 PM
On the Trail...Home | Old Mohican Board Archives | Purpose
Events | Polls | Photos | Classifieds | Downloads
Profile | Register | Members | Private Messages
Search | Posting Tips | FAQ | Web Links | Mohican Chat | Blogs
Forum Bookmarks | Unanswered Posts | Preview Topic Photos | Active Topics
Invite a Friend to the Mohican Board | Guestbook | Greeting Cards | Auction (0) | Colonial Recipe Book
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 MOHICANLAND: Community
 Bunkhouse Banter!
 Deep Freeze
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
| More
Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Previous Page | Next Page

Author Previous Topic: Just my two cents.. Topic Next Topic: Alasdair Fraser Is Coming . . .
Page: of 14

richfed
Sachem

King 1
USA

Bumppo's Patron since [at least]:
May 13 2002

Administrator

Posted - February 26 2004 :  06:15:07 AM  Show Profile  Visit richfed's Homepage  Click to see richfed's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
- Just saw that pic, Kay ...

Here comes the snow!!! I think by nightfall Mohicanland will be covered in a fresh blanket of the white stuff ... 4-7 inches [more up on the Blue Ridge - man, won't the Green Knob be something to see?!?], they say. Though I'm not looking forward to it, and am most-definitely ready for Spring, it will be a pretty sight!
report to moderator Go to Top of Page

Diane B.
Colonial Militia

Dream Catcher 2
USA

May 19 2002

Posted - February 26 2004 :  08:19:53 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
OK, snowball fight at Richfed's place this afternoon!!!

At least you know for certain what you're in for; up this way, in coastal Virginia, there are so many different factors to consider that our local weathermen can't make up their minds as to whether we're going to get a cold, cold rain, or a "wintry mix," or maybe just a little bit of snow, or possibly a whole lot of snow - or nothing at all! I'm betting on at least SOME snow in the area; after all, the circus is still in town & historically, we've seen some of our biggest winter storms when they're here! Anybody from these parts remember the blizzard of 1980???

Stay warm, Rich!

Rattlesnake Woman

"The earth does not belong to us; we belong to the earth." - Chief Seattle

Gadget Girl
Gatherer of Gathering Gadgets

Winking Lady
USA

May 17 2002

Donating Member

Posted - February 26 2004 :  09:17:59 AM  Show Profile  Send Gadget Girl an AOL message  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by Diane B.

Anybody from these parts remember the blizzard of 1980???

Ohhhhhhh Mama do I! We here in the coastal plain of NC had 30 inches! I'll never forget it being the only snowstorm in my memory with Thunder and Lightening! They called it the Dixie Blizzard (I had friend from Asheville whose name was...can you believe it...Dixie Blizzard - she got a lot of grief about being responsible for that one) The cars in the parking lot of the apartments I was living in were just lumps in the snow. You really had to remember where you parked to figure out which lump belonged to you! During the storm that night, I had somehow not latched my front door well. I lived on the second floor and there was an overhang over the outside stairway which formed a tunnel of sorts which evidently enhanced the already howling wind. During the night I woke because the arm I had hanging off the bed was FREEZING! I got up thinking the power was off, but noticed my front door standing wide open. Being the young single scaredy-cat that I was, I armed myself with a pair of scissors and proceeded to find if I had an intruder (heart pounding so hard it's a wonder I didn't fracture my sternum). As I got to the front door...I realized what had likely happened (door just blown open) because I had a HUGE snowdrift (sans footprints) in my entry-way! Ever shoveled snow off your carpet - in the SOUTH no less?!!!! The next afternoon, I ended up walking, in thigh deep snow, three miles to the hospital where I worked (main roads had been scraped a bit, by then with the ONE plow in three counties I think) because I was SO lonely and getting stir crazy AND I knew they would be in need of folks. Oh the spirit of youth...that thought would never cross my mind today. It would be more like..."Do we have the makings for soup and where's my book?"

Diane, we too have that mixed bag of forecasts - DANG, I hate a 33 degree rain!!!! They are calling for a foot of snow in Raleigh (just an hour west of me) and cold rain here....@#$@#%@%@^@^!!!!!!!!

GG

Kaylynn44
Mohicanite

Sunset
USA

July 13 2002

Donating Member

Posted - February 26 2004 :  09:30:46 AM  Show Profile  Visit Kaylynn44's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
We have freezing rain here in S. Carolina, but it is supposed to be beautiful for the weekend!!! Well, beautiful for this time of year.
It is supposed to get up close to 70 on Sunday.

Kay

~ An Infinite Zephyr~
Some things never end
As long as goodness exists
Winds shall always soothe

www.cloudsbooks.com

Christina
Deerslayer

Vampire
USA

May 27 2002

Posted - February 26 2004 :  10:59:32 AM  Show Profile  Visit Christina's Homepage  Send Christina an AOL message  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by Kaylynn44

We have freezing rain here in S. Carolina, but it is supposed to be beautiful for the weekend!!! Well, beautiful for this time of year.
It is supposed to get up close to 70 on Sunday.

Kay

Well, we have nasty, cold, semi-freezing rain here and a lashing cold wind, with a possibility of snow and sleet tonight. I'M TIRED OF WINTER. I HATE WINTER!!!!
The only comfort is that we're not supposed to get any accumulation...sigh...
Christina

See this face? This is the face of a woman on the edge.
Whoopi Goldberg, "Jumping Jack Flash"

Christina
Deerslayer

Vampire
USA

May 27 2002

Posted - February 26 2004 :  11:02:53 AM  Show Profile  Visit Christina's Homepage  Send Christina an AOL message  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
P.S. For those who don't know, I'm also in "Sunny" South Carolina. Kaylynn, what part of the state are you in? We're in Columbia.

See this face? This is the face of a woman on the edge.
Whoopi Goldberg, "Jumping Jack Flash"

Kaylynn44
Mohicanite

Sunset
USA

July 13 2002

Donating Member

Posted - February 26 2004 :  12:38:00 PM  Show Profile  Visit Kaylynn44's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
Christina,
I'm only about an hour away from you. I live in a small town (New Ellenton) right outside of Aiken. Right now the rain has stopped for awhile, but it is still cold and windy. Our weather report says that it is still going to rain some more, and then slack off tonight and be clear for the next three days, but I don't really believe it till I actually see it. You can have one report on one station and the next one will be entirely different!!!
I have a friend that lives in Columbia. I keep meaning to get up that way and take her out to lunch. We will be going to N.C together in June.

Kay

~ An Infinite Zephyr~
Some things never end

www.cloudsbooks.com

Wilderness Woman
Watcher of the Wood

Young George Washington
USA

November 27 2002

Donating Member

Posted - March 16 2004 :  4:12:57 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
Well, the month of March has not failed us!

We are currently receiving our obligatory mid-March snowstorm. Supposed to get up to 7 to 10 inches, but some areas may receive as much as 16. Traffic accidents all over the place because after a few weeks of relatively uneventful weather, people forget everything they ever knew about driving in snow and are forced to relearn through experience. Smash!!

My mind reaches back to the Great Blizzard of March 13,1993. What an interesting time that was... About 3 feet of snow here! The state of New York literally closed down... streets and highways closed to all but emergency travel, all businesses closed for several days... incredible!

Anyone have any good Blizzard stories? Seamus, did you and Nancy take in any interesting stranded travelers in your B & B?

"It is more deeply stirring to my blood than any imaginings could possibly have been."

securemann
Deerslayer

offer of peace
USA

July 08 2002

Posted - March 16 2004 :  6:18:10 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
Yeah the great spring like weather was wonderful with the temps in the high 50's and everything. Now,BANG,BOOM,KAPOW!(Remember the old Batman series in the 60's with Adam West and the words used when he and Robin were kicking the sh.. out of the villians)Anyway,we are getting nailed pretty good with snow as I type and expect more on Friday and Sunday.To the poles Robin!!

Kaylynn44
Mohicanite

Sunset
USA

July 13 2002

Donating Member

Posted - March 16 2004 :  6:19:23 PM  Show Profile  Visit Kaylynn44's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
Anyone have any good Blizzard stories?

Sorry WW, I can't help you with any good blizzard stories. It's been in the 70's down here. Not quite cold enough for a bizzard.

Kay

~ An Infinite Zephyr~
Some things never end

www.cloudsbooks.com

securemann
Deerslayer

offer of peace
USA

July 08 2002

Posted - March 16 2004 :  6:44:30 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
I got a good blizzard story that just popped into this slow going brain.It was April 16 or 18,1982 when we got 16 inches of the lovely stuff.My wife and I were off from work and lived half way up a mountain.I was so mad because it was supposed to be spring and I wanted to enjoy my day off with my wife.So we dug ourselves out and got into our old clunker and went down the mountain sideways to get to town.Funny thing,within a day or so the snow was all gone.

richfed
Sachem

King 1
USA

May 13 2002

Administrator

Posted - March 16 2004 :  6:55:06 PM  Show Profile  Visit richfed's Homepage  Click to see richfed's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
When I lived on East Mountain, NY, I went down sideways MANY a-time. Sometimes, I wonder how I ever made it alive. I mean, I did 360's sometimes ... with a cliff off to my right!!!

Right now, in the 60's ... I like it!!

securemann
Deerslayer

offer of peace
USA

July 08 2002

Posted - March 16 2004 :  7:17:58 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
Were you lived Rich was suicide mountain.If only these folks here knew where you and Lainey were tucked away, way up! How can I forget the blizzard of Feb.1969! Foots and foots of snow. I lost my good friend in that blizzard.The ambulance couldn't get down the side street where he lived.I lived in the city at the time so you can imagine the mess.I think the whole northeast was blasted at that time.

Wilderness Woman
Watcher of the Wood

Young George Washington
USA

November 27 2002

Donating Member

Posted - March 16 2004 :  7:33:14 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
I don't think I have ever slid down a mountain sideways, or even done a 360, but I have slid around and done some squirrelies on occasion. Especially when my vehicle was a small Datsun pickup, which was very light in the rear end. Ack! Horrible vehicle!

Here's a story involving another pickup...

When I lived on the homestead up in the North Country of New York(in the late 1970s), our only vehicle for awhile was a 1950 Chev pickup. That truck was Ol' Reliable, btw. Even when the weather was 50 below zero, it started up every morning as long as we took the battery indoors each night! Of course, the heater didn't work, so rides were a bit chilly.

We lived near Richville, which was about 20 miles from Canton, and one day I had to go to Canton to pick up some bags of feed. While there, it began snowing quite heavily. I had to get home and was a little nervous about it, because visibility was about 15 to 20 feet, at best. But, I got out on the two-lane highway and headed home.

I couldn't see a bloomin' thing, except the white line at the side of the road. I hadn't gone too far, when I saw dim tail lights ahead of me. I realized it was a semi, and I got close enough to get just within the draft of his trailer. I fixed my eyes on those tail lights and stayed with him all the way to my turn off. If he had driven off the road and into a hay meadow, I would have been right behind him! But he didn't, and Ol' Reliable and I made it safely home. I think I got a few more of my prematurely white hairs that day!

"It is more deeply stirring to my blood than any imaginings could possibly have been."

Kurt
Mohicanite

The Old Trapper
USA

September 27 2003

Posted - March 16 2004 :  8:14:12 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
It was still snowing. The last shear pin was gone so the snow thrower was useless. We could get the Morris Minor 1000 to the road which was plowed mostly. Grandfather got in and I started driving to the lawn and garden store. When we got to the place where Rt. 9 runs straight as an arrow through acres of open fields the cross wind picked up. Whiteout. I let off the gas pedal and held the rack and pinion steering steady. We could feel the car slide at least twenty degrees to the right. Great! Now we are going to need to dig out of a snowbank! Just then the eighteeen wheeler passed a foot or two from the driver's side, the wind died, and we were still on the highway.

Yr. obt. svt.
Kurt

ccorner
Pathfinder

USA

February 05 2003

Posted - March 16 2004 :  10:47:06 PM  Show Profile  Click to see ccorner's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
I live in upstate NY and I remember that storm in '93 but I also remember the one in '77. I got stuck on route 17 in the passing lane when I tried to go around a tractor trailor. Well, my fan belt broke and I was over heating. Problem was.... the state plow was behind us and couldn't get through. I finally got on the truckers cb and called my brother who rescued us. How embarrassing.
Now,I'll never give up my four wheel drive. Even though one can dig four holes as easily as two.
It is snowing like crazy as we speak. But we shall survive!

Wilderness Woman
Watcher of the Wood

Young George Washington
USA

November 27 2002

Donating Member

Posted - March 17 2004 :  08:06:06 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
I've heard tales about that Blizzard of '77! We moved out to NY State in May of '78... so just missed it! Whew!

Scott Bubar
Colonial Militia

USA

May 17 2002

Posted - March 18 2004 :  12:15:16 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
Came home last night after a long day to a cold house. Snow falling, ice, etc.

The furnace wasn't working.

To make it worse, the young'un and his mom are in San Francisco.

Where they've been having a heat wave.

Grrrrr...

I remember '77. Was working in the hospital. Ella Grasso closed the highways. The hospital offered a cell in the old nursing students dormitory.

Outline of old crucifix on the wall.

Got up, got in my old Camaro and hopped on the interstate, Ella or no Ella.

~~Aim small, miss small.

Stephanie
Gathering Sachemess

Hiking Smurf Avatar
USA

June 23 2002

Donating Member

Posted - March 22 2004 :  1:05:39 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
Well would you believe I woke up to snow in my little corner of Mohicanland this morning?? Rich you probably didn't get any where you were, but Haywood County got it and my car was covered! Yikes! But by the time I got into Asheville, there was no snow there. Will spring ever get here????
Steph

securemann
Deerslayer

offer of peace
USA

July 08 2002

Posted - March 22 2004 :  3:26:13 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
We are going down to 10 degrees tonight with the wind blowing.Spring? What's that?

Wilderness Woman
Watcher of the Wood

Young George Washington
USA

November 27 2002

Donating Member

Posted - March 22 2004 :  4:27:30 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
Never fear, Brother Jim...

No matter how long it takes...

no matter how far it has to come...

it will find us!

Stay alive! It will find us!!

Just... stay alive!!!!!!

Now, where have I heard some of those words before?

securemann
Deerslayer

offer of peace
USA

July 08 2002

Posted - March 22 2004 :  6:58:08 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
Is that an old Bee-Gees song? Stayin'alive,stayin' alive,ah,ah,ah,ah,stayin'aliveeeeeeeeeeee.......

Wilderness Woman
Watcher of the Wood

Young George Washington
USA

November 27 2002

Donating Member

Posted - March 22 2004 :  7:52:31 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
Yes!!! That must be it!!!

(Great song, innit??)

Stephanie
Gathering Sachemess

Hiking Smurf Avatar
USA

June 23 2002

Donating Member

Posted - March 23 2004 :  09:32:35 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
Great quote Wilderness Woman! TOOOOO funny! THanks for the laugh of the day!
Steph

Wilderness Woman
Watcher of the Wood

Young George Washington
USA

November 27 2002

Donating Member

Posted - March 23 2004 :  10:01:26 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by Stephanie

THanks for the laugh of the day!

My pleasure!
Page: of 14 Previous Topic: Just my two cents.. Topic Next Topic: Alasdair Fraser Is Coming . . .  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
| More
Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Jump To:

Around The Site:
~ What's New? ~
Pathfinding | Mohican Gatherings | Mohican Musings | LOTM Script | History | Musical Musings | Storefronts on the Frontier
Off the Beaten Trail | Links
Of Special Interest:
The Eric Schweig Gallery | From the Ramparts | The Listening Room | Against All Odds | The Video Clips Index

DISCLAIMER
Tune, 40, used by permission - composed by Ron Clarke

Custom Search

The Mohican Board! [Bumppo's Redux!] © 1997-2024 - Mohican Press Go To Top Of Page
Current Mohicanland page raised in 0.52 seconds Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.07