The Mohican Board! [Bumppo's Redux!]
The Mohican Board! [Bumppo's Redux!]
10/8/2024 7:30:12 PM
On the Trail...Home | Old Mohican Board Archives | Purpose
Events | Polls | Photos | Classifieds | Downloads
Profile | Register | Members | Private Messages
Search | Posting Tips | FAQ | Web Links | Mohican Chat | Blogs
Forum Bookmarks | Unanswered Posts | Preview Topic Photos | Active Topics
Invite a Friend to the Mohican Board | Guestbook | Greeting Cards | Auction (0) | Colonial Recipe Book
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 MOHICANLAND: Community
 Bunkhouse Banter!
 Deep Freeze
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
| More
Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Previous Page | Next Page

Author Previous Topic: Just my two cents.. Topic Next Topic: Alasdair Fraser Is Coming . . .
Page: of 14

Jo
Sweetser 4 Rep

Bumppo's Patron since [at least]:
May 27 2002

Posted - March 24 2004 :  4:15:52 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
OK, OK, interesting stuff!!! LOVED reading stories - you'd NEVER get me in those cars/condidtions! IF I lived through a deep freeze??? I must admit to never having anything to do with driving/working in the snow except for the short time I've worked in Alaska (check out Chris's info; she's right: heaters plugged into the block) and been a passenger during Michigan foul weather days due to in-laws visits; however; having ridden through earthquakes whilst in a room; office building; school room; or more to the subject header - driven through or tried to in the old Loma Pierta 7.1 or something in '79; well, that gives one pause.....it may only last seconds to several minutes but it is the bona fide "E" ticket ride let me tell you!

Jo
San Fransicso area native (where it only "dusts snow" never snows really.....)
report to moderator Go to Top of Page

securemann
Deerslayer

offer of peace
USA

July 08 2002

Posted - March 24 2004 :  7:25:41 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
Hey Joyce,I'm a stayin'alive and it found me.Spring!!! Temps in the 60's.Whoa baby!!!!

Wilderness Woman
Watcher of the Wood

Young George Washington
USA

November 27 2002

Donating Member

Posted - March 24 2004 :  8:32:51 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
Hey Jim! I thought of you today when I walked outdoors without my jacket for the first time since last September. And I heard birds singing! Won't be long now and we'll be mowin' those lawns again.

Watch out, though. We can still get snow, as you know.

Scott Bubar
Colonial Militia

USA

May 17 2002

Posted - March 25 2004 :  10:58:29 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
I heard birds "singing", too.

But they were starlings. :(

~~Aim small, miss small.

Wilderness Woman
Watcher of the Wood

Young George Washington
USA

November 27 2002

Donating Member

Posted - April 19 2004 :  4:08:59 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
IT'S HERE!! IT FOUND ME!!

The temperature made it into the low 80s today. I am running the air conditioning unit in my office. My forearms are bare. My shoes are open-toed. My jacket was left at home this morning.

IT'S SPRING!!

BTW, Scott, we have a starling nesting under the roof of our back porch. She's driving the cats nuts, but I'm enjoying watching her.

"It is more deeply stirring to my blood than any imaginings could possibly have been."

Scott Bubar
Colonial Militia

USA

May 17 2002

Posted - April 24 2004 :  09:56:20 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by Wilderness Woman

[b] ... BTW, Scott, we have a starling nesting under the roof of our back porch. She's driving the cats nuts, but I'm enjoying watching her.

Your cat has the right idea, WW.

~~Aim small, miss small.

Bookworm
Colonial Militia

USA

February 10 2004

Donating Member

Posted - April 24 2004 :  10:22:02 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
My husband just saw a mockingbird chase away three or four starlings. Pray for mockingbirds, Scott.

Wilderness Woman
Watcher of the Wood

Young George Washington
USA

November 27 2002

Donating Member

Posted - April 25 2004 :  09:06:16 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
Yeah, Scott, I know. Starlings can be a real problem.

Speaking of nesting birds, the most fun I ever had watching birds raising families was when I had the homestead/farm. The swallows would come into the barn every spring and build their nests on the sides of the ceiling beams in the lower level of the barn. I enjoyed having them swooping in and out, voicing their shrill calls.

But the most fun of all was after the babies had hatched. They would all line up to peek over the edge of the semi-circular mud nest...about 4 of them sitting all in a row with their silly little half-smiles... to watch me working. Because the ceiling was so low, I could walk right up to the nests and nearly be at eye level with them. They would just sit there and gaze right back. They were adorable! Of course, if Mama came back while I was there, she wasn't too happy with me!

"It is more deeply stirring to my blood than any imaginings could possibly have been."

Scott Bubar
Colonial Militia

USA

May 17 2002

Posted - April 25 2004 :  5:12:30 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
Barn. That reminds me of this shot of a "tipping can trap for starlings and English sparrows":

Not as exciting a name as the "black hole" trap or as hi-tech as the "remote solenoid" trap, but apparently effective.

These folks take their cavity-dwellers seriously: American Artifacts.

Anyone know what keeps starlings in check back in Merry Olde England where they belong?

~~Aim small, miss small.

Tim Cordell
Pioneer

USA

July 18 2002

Posted - May 03 2004 :  10:00:43 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
A little snow. A little sleet. It's early May at Lake George...

Tim Cordell

Theresa
Bumppo's Tavern Proprietress

Theresa
USA

May 17 2002

Posted - May 04 2004 :  06:53:49 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
We're having a touch of blackberry winter here in the deep south, Tim. Had to turn the heater on for a bit to knock the chill off the house. No snow nor sleet...bright sun and blue sky. Looking forward to meeting you in June.

Theresa

Tim Cordell
Pioneer

USA

July 18 2002

Posted - May 04 2004 :  07:58:21 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
Dear Theresa. A little known LOTM fact:...Burial Ground scene. Cora says to Hawkeye, "This crummy cold weather...It is more deeply stirring to my blood than any imagining could have been."

Tim Cordell

Theresa
Bumppo's Tavern Proprietress

Theresa
USA

May 17 2002

Posted - May 04 2004 :  9:27:07 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
Well, if cold weather could stir her blood any more than lieing beside ol' Hawkeye there...must be some kinda cold, Tim. LOL!

Theresa

Scott Bubar
Colonial Militia

USA

May 17 2002

Posted - July 04 2004 :  4:01:43 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
I've whined often enough on this thread, but now I'm here with praise.

After a soggy spring, we've been having a stretch of very nice weather--even a couple of days approaching gem quality.

A nice change from the weather we tend to get this time of year with overheated, dead noxious air, humidity that prevents any evaporation.

If only we could bottle it.

~~Aim small, miss small.

Wilderness Woman
Watcher of the Wood

Young George Washington
USA

November 27 2002

Donating Member

Posted - July 04 2004 :  11:43:04 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
I agree with you, Scott! We have been very fortunate here in Binghamton too. The month of June was just glorious! Day after day of temperatures in the 70s, and absolutely no humidity. Rain here and there, then right back to being beautiful. It has been so nice to go outdoors and not feel as though I have just stepped into a sauna. I keep thinking the sky is going to come crashing down any day now and it will turn doubly miserable.

When you figure out how to bottle it, please tell me how!

Wilderness Woman
Watcher of the Wood

Young George Washington
USA

November 27 2002

Donating Member

Posted - January 18 2005 :  08:52:34 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
Well, I keep waiting for Securemann to "drop by to see how we're doin' " and to revive his thread. So, in his absence....

BRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

The Winter of 2005 has arrived in the Colony of New York! At 6:00 AM, when I was out shoveling snow, it was about 9 degrees above, with a wind chill of 10 below. Whah! This again brings back all of those North Country memories.

Brother Jim? How fair ye?

Stephanie
Gathering Sachemess

Hiking Smurf Avatar
USA

June 23 2002

Donating Member

Posted - January 18 2005 :  09:27:37 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
A smoke signal from frozen Mohicanland: BRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR back atcha!! Ya'll think that here in the South it doesn't get cold, but we had 10 whole degrees this morning in the mountains of western NC, with a wind chill of below zero overnight. I know it's hard for all you summer visitors to imagine, but it is quite a different place. Last winter I visited Chimney Rock and the trails look totally different when there are no leaves on the trees. Not much snow to speak of... yet!!!
Stephanie

Chris
Colonial Settler

Hawkeye II
USA

May 25 2002

Posted - January 18 2005 :  10:35:09 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
OK. I've got to chime in here. We had to keep the kids in from recess all last week with wind chills as low as -37 at times. We have very little snow too. We were down to grass last week before getting an inch or two on Friday. It will be interesting to see if our grass and plants survive. Wierd weather! I'm anxious to retire and move north to where they've had 15 feet of snow so far this winter.

Chris

CT•Ranger
Colonial Militia

indian ... nicholas
USA

October 14 2002

Posted - January 18 2005 :  2:27:36 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
This winter wasn't too bad until last week. All through December we only had mabye two-three days of snow around Albany, NY. Fairly mild tempatures too. Now I've moved back to western Michigan in the last week and its freakin' cold! Below zero with the wind chill every day for the past week. It'd be nice to be back in the nice warm 40s again.

YMHS,
Connecticut•Ranger
Thomas Thacher

susquesus
Mad Hermit of the North Woods

Susquesus
USA

September 03 2003

Posted - January 18 2005 :  3:03:47 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
We too have been below zero for over a week in sunny St. Paul. Today, however, the mercury has rocketed up to the neighborhood of 20-25 above with snow flurries. I'm sure y'all out east should be receiving your relief in the next 4-5 days. Unfortunately, now is the time to take your medicine.

richfed
Sachem

King 1
USA

May 13 2002

Administrator

Posted - January 19 2005 :  05:53:38 AM  Show Profile  Visit richfed's Homepage  Click to see richfed's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
It was 9 degrees in Candler, just west of Asheville, yesterday morning! No snow, though, or real wind to speak of ... so ... not too bad! Haven't ventured out yet this morning to see if there's a repeat ...

Kurt
Mohicanite

The Old Trapper
USA

September 27 2003

Posted - January 19 2005 :  06:05:08 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
-3 degrees F this morning. Woke up to a funny smell. The furnace can't run because the heat tape can't get the oil warm enough to pump.

Yr. obt. svt.
Kurt

CT•Ranger
Colonial Militia

indian ... nicholas
USA

October 14 2002

Posted - January 19 2005 :  09:47:51 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
It's 30 degrees today! Woke up to 4" of snow, the roads are a mess, but it's warm out.

YMHS,
Connecticut•Ranger
Thomas Thacher

Gadget Girl
Gatherer of Gathering Gadgets

Winking Lady
USA

May 17 2002

Donating Member

Posted - January 19 2005 :  11:12:21 AM  Show Profile  Send Gadget Girl an AOL message  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
It was 16 here this morning in beautiful (not really) eatern NC. At 11AM it si up to a whopping 20 degrees!!! We are supposed to have snow this afternoon and then again tomorrow afternoon - WoooHoooo!!!!

GG Brrrrrrrrrrrrr

Wilderness Woman
Watcher of the Wood

Young George Washington
USA

November 27 2002

Donating Member

Posted - January 19 2005 :  12:32:23 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by CT•Ranger
Now I've moved back to western Michigan in the last week...

Oh my gosh! I'm sorry to hear that! I was hoping you would be staying in my neck of the woods for a while longer. Did you finish your schooling? More importantly, did you get to see all of the historic sites and events you wanted to, especially in the Mohawk Valley?

Page: of 14 Previous Topic: Just my two cents.. Topic Next Topic: Alasdair Fraser Is Coming . . .  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
| More
Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Jump To:

Around The Site:
~ What's New? ~
Pathfinding | Mohican Gatherings | Mohican Musings | LOTM Script | History | Musical Musings | Storefronts on the Frontier
Off the Beaten Trail | Links
Of Special Interest:
The Eric Schweig Gallery | From the Ramparts | The Listening Room | Against All Odds | The Video Clips Index

DISCLAIMER
Tune, 40, used by permission - composed by Ron Clarke

Custom Search

The Mohican Board! [Bumppo's Redux!] © 1997-2024 - Mohican Press Go To Top Of Page
Current Mohicanland page raised in 0.44 seconds Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.07