The Mohican Board! [Bumppo's Redux!]
The Mohican Board! [Bumppo's Redux!]
10/11/2024 1:19:22 PM
On the Trail...Home | Old Mohican Board Archives | Purpose
Events | Polls | Photos | Classifieds | Downloads
Profile | Register | Members | Private Messages
Search | Posting Tips | FAQ | Web Links | Mohican Chat | Blogs
Forum Bookmarks | Unanswered Posts | Preview Topic Photos | Active Topics
Invite a Friend to the Mohican Board | Guestbook | Greeting Cards | Auction (0) | Colonial Recipe Book
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 LAST OF THE MOHICANS
 The Last of the Mohicans ...
 LOTM and our American spirit.
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
| More
Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Previous Page

Author Previous Topic: Proposal Dialogue in Script Topic Next Topic: Questions
Page: of 3

Obediah
Mohicanland Statesman

Skull 5
USA

Bumppo's Patron since [at least]:
August 16 2006

Donating Member

Posted - January 27 2009 :  5:56:46 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by blackfootblood

.....Then she started to brag about how rich she was and how her kids were going to Harvard and making way more money than I would ever see in my entire life...... But she was the first of many to stop me and ask me if I was from the North, it's crazy how people know. Do I have Yankee tattooed in my forehead or something?

Firstly, "Hahvuhd" ain't exactly a Southern school, is it?

Secondly, Yankees talk funny!
report to moderator Go to Top of Page

blackfootblood
Devoted Tribal Member

homecoming
USA

May 22 2007

Donating Member

Posted - January 27 2009 :  6:06:54 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by Obediah
Secondly, Yankees talk funny!

LOL, maybe that's how she could tell. I didn't use my "proper english" with her!

"Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass, it's about learning to dance in the rain!"

"Live well, love much, laugh often!"

Monadnock Guide
Council of Elders

USA

March 14 2005

Posted - January 27 2009 :  6:11:37 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
di-mc, - back in the 70's the U.S. forced school busing in Boston. With no exaggeration, it literally tore the city apart. Boston offered to guarantee that any student could attend ANY school they wanted to, - not good enough for Uncle Sam. That approach wouldn't give them the percentage of this and that in every school. It was all about getting the numbers right, - the negative effect on education and lives meant nothing. It got so bad the Boston Police couldn't handle it, - and the Mass. National Guard was called out. The police had to actually be stationed in classrooms, not just the school. ... The result, - as many folks as possible moved out of Boston, or sent their kids to private schools. ... Boston was used as an trial approach for a similar plan planned for Los Angles. The Los Angles plan was scrapped, ...

you can keep "The Change"

Leah
Pathfinder

Anne Bradstreet
USA

January 28 2009

Posted - January 28 2009 :  10:21:01 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
Hello everyone! I'm new, although I have been a lurker for over a year.
I am not sure if you all have a place for newbies to post, so here goes.

I am still getting settled and have a question about uploading my own avatar picture.
Do you all have an area on this forum to explain that? I'm not techno-savvy, so struggle with this. It asked for my avatar name-not sure what that was and when I typed in my URL address and clicked preview, I got a blank box.

Help and look forward to contributing and reading all these interesting viewpoints.

Leah

Wilderness Woman
Watcher of the Wood

Young George Washington
USA

November 27 2002

Donating Member

Posted - January 28 2009 :  12:19:06 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
Welcome, Leah!

If you would like to go to this forum: The New Deal and poke around in some of the threads that are posted near the top under the heading of "Messages From The Crown", you may find some help.

As for uploading your own avatar picture, I believe that Rich will need to help you with that. I think that you may need to email it to him privately, but I am not sure. But, just...."stay alive! He will find you!" Seriously, when he reads this, he will contact you, I am sure.

To get a feel for the different forums, go to the main page of the Forums, here: The Mohican Board Forums and just scroll down that page and read the titles of the forums and the information about each one. Soon, you will understand where you should be posting for different subject matter. Generally, for talking about personal things, or introducing ourselves, we go into the "Bunkhouse Banter" Forum in the Mohicanland Community area. Rich will probably move your post, and mine, over to that area.

Don't worry. You'll get the hang of it! So, Welcome to Mohicanland!

"It is more deeply stirring to my blood than any imaginings could possibly have been."

Leah
Pathfinder

Anne Bradstreet
USA

January 28 2009

Posted - January 28 2009 :  5:32:30 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
It's good to finally be here. I love this topic. I have been looking for a place with like-minded people who share this very same concern.
I have been a member of a 19th century literature forum for over 6 months and, let's just say, I was a bit isolated in my viewpoints on where I think the country is headed. I have enjoyed reading everyone's posts on various topics and think I will like it here.

I am rather new in the study of history. (Science major here, and history was always so boring to me in school-must be the mid-life crisis because I am fascinated now with how our country came to be, and what it took to make us great.) I will "watch and learn" a bit before jumping in.

Leah

di-mc
Pioneer

Cora 4
USA

September 03 2008

Posted - January 28 2009 :  6:11:13 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
Leah,
Welcome! Isn't it wonderful to find this site? I just came on board back in the fall and I'm hooked. Glad you're here.

Diane
"The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not." Thomas Jefferson

James N.
Colonial Militia

James N
USA

October 24 2007

Posted - January 28 2009 :  7:45:37 PM  Show Profile  Send James N. a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
Welcome Leah,

In line with the theme of my rant throughout this particular thread, I'll venture to guess your high school science teacher knew at least something about science - and for history you naturally had a COACH!

Leah
Pathfinder

Anne Bradstreet
USA

January 28 2009

Posted - January 28 2009 :  10:28:10 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
Yes, James, I did had several high school coaches teaching history. My favorite memory was one who taught World War II from a World Book encyclopedia! Now, my kids (18 and 13) are also going through the same experience, but I do think their teachers are more exerienced. I am enjoying 'learning' it all over again and the recent election had allowed me to discuss issues with them, especially my 18 year old, who loves to play devil's advocate. I do feel that history is more meaningful to me and I appreciate it more, now that I am older. But, again, I am very much a newbie at history.

Getting back to the question at hand: "Is the American spirit of the past truly over?" I hope not, but I do wonder what America will look like at the end of the next four years. Self reliance, independence and hard work are all things I think of when I think of what it means to be an American. Being on this other forum (19th Century Lit.) with many people from the U.K. and elsewhere, along with others with a different political persuasion from mine, was very eye-opening. I was starting to wonder what has happened to our ideals? European countries are more dependent on their government and I sense a huge movement in this country toward that same philosophy and it just makes me sad.

And may I add that of course, LOTM was the impetus for my interest in the 'pioneer spirit'. I only hope that we can re-capture those ideals during the next four years.

Obediah
Mohicanland Statesman

Skull 5
USA

August 16 2006

Donating Member

Posted - January 29 2009 :  12:28:17 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
James, not all coaches are lousy history instructors. Here's my experience.

In my 1st semester at college (the local JC), my US History instructor was also a counselor. He was without a doubt the worst teacher of any subject I ever had as an undergrad! First semester US history is supposed to go through 1865; all he lectured about that whole semester was European philosophers! "And mightily bored we were!"

Fortunately, my 2nd semester US History instructor was an assistant FB coach, who was one of the two best instructors I had as an undergrad! He loved history and it showed. His lectures were always interesting and informative. He just passed away a couple of years ago but his daughter (who is my age) still has all his old lecture notes (in several boxes).

SgtMunro
Soldier of the King

Knight
USA

September 23 2002

Donating Member

Posted - January 29 2009 :  12:28:47 PM  Show Profile  Visit SgtMunro's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
quote:
Leah asked: Getting back to the question at hand: "Is the American spirit of the past truly over?" I hope not, but I do wonder what America will look like at the end of the next four years.

Maybe not 'over', but certainly 'on-hold' for the time being.

quote:
Leah then said: Self reliance, independence and hard work are all things I think of when I think of what it means to be an American.

You are right on-target with your beliefs, however the political party currently in charge is diametrically opposed to all three.

quote:
Leah also asked: I was starting to wonder what has happened to our ideals?

I might be able to help you by sharing some of my own theories; just poke around the 'In The News' and 'Lions Den' portions of this board where my thoughts on subjects like this are found.

quote:
Leah finished with: I only hope that we can re-capture those ideals during the next four years.

Leah, if there is any chance of us recapturing the true American Spirit, it will be after the next four years...

quote:
Obediah said: James, not all coaches are lousy history instructors.

Obi, you are 100% correct. My high school football coach was also one of the calc/trig teachers. I know that this falls off of the 'history teacher' comparison, but it is in the same arena. Not only was he a fantastic coach (national Quad-A Champs in 1987, and several statewide Quad-A championships to his credit), but unlike a great many of his contempories, he was a true master of his discipline. He was no 'cookie-cutter' Education Major product of the 1960's, but he actually held a masters in mathematics. Higher mathematics was his forte, but football was his passion.

YMH&OS,
The Sarge

Serjeant-Major Duncan Munro
Capt. Thos. Graham's Coy.
42nd Royal Highland Regiment of Foote
(The Black Sheep of the Black Watch)

"Nemo Me Impune Lacessit"
-Or-
"Recruit locally, fight globally."

James N.
Colonial Militia

James N
USA

October 24 2007

Posted - January 29 2009 :  12:46:38 PM  Show Profile  Send James N. a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
Obediah,

I would actually agree with your statement, although I would also point out that your personal experience regards a JC coach/teacher, NOT high school. I think that makes a BIG difference. ( The dumbest ones seem to settle to the lower levels, like the "bottom feeders" they tend to be. ) As you note, "He loved history and it showed."; unfortunately all most of them LOVE is FOOBAW! That's why I said whenever I tell this tale in public I always get knowing nods of recognition, often followed with agreement that all they remember from history class was "coach" talking about the "Big Game". I can only think of a SINGLE acquaintance ( not a friend, really ) I've made in all my years reenacting and collecting who I knew to be a P.E. teacher/coach I thought had any sense at all - he was a collector/dealer in militaria, very knowledgeable about WWII badges and patches; and, I THINK, about the history that goes with them as well.

Personally I'm soured from my own experience, having been LIED to throughout my college career in the local Teacher Education "diploma mill" North Texas St. Univ. ( NTSU - corrupted to NUTS! ) I was fed the lie "We NEED Teachers!" until my graduation in 1970; when of course suddenly we didn't need teachers anymore! I've already mentioned looking for a position and being told "Yes, we have an opening - history and COACHING!"; as though the two were inseperable. One district I later applied to really wanted me to teach - ART! ( Which I of course have NO background for or interest in teaching! )

In the School of Education in most colleges there's the saying, "Those who CAN'T, teach." ( The rest of it goes: "And those who can't teach, teach teachers." as a dig to the "usefulness" of most courses in "education". ) I think this is nowhere truer than in "athletics" where all the former "foobaw heroes" settle to relive or continue their own Glory Days. My point in all this is that as long as our public school history classes are in the thrall of a bunch of knuckleheads who only hold their positions as a means to the end of being associated with FOOBAW and other "sports", we are certainly NOT going to inculcate in any students love or appreciation for the past struggles and sacrifices of our ancestors, be they Colonial, Revolutionary, Confederate or otherwise!

Kay
Colonial Settler

USA

January 06 2009

Posted - January 29 2009 :  4:19:55 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by Leah

Hello everyone! I'm new, although I have been a lurker for over a year.
I am not sure if you all have a place for newbies to post, so here goes.

I am still getting settled and have a question about uploading my own avatar picture.
Do you all have an area on this forum to explain that? I'm not techno-savvy, so struggle with this. It asked for my avatar name-not sure what that was and when I typed in my URL address and clicked preview, I got a blank box.

Help and look forward to contributing and reading all these interesting viewpoints.

Leah

Welcome Leah! I'm new too (since the beginning of the month!) Have already made great friends! And I'm still figuring out avatar and pics too!

Kay

Leah
Pathfinder

Anne Bradstreet
USA

January 28 2009

Posted - January 30 2009 :  9:12:33 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
Where are my manners? Thanks everyone for the nice welcome.
I look forward to chatting with you all.

Leah
Page: of 3 Previous Topic: Proposal Dialogue in Script Topic Next Topic: Questions  
Previous Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
| More
Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Jump To:

Around The Site:
~ What's New? ~
Pathfinding | Mohican Gatherings | Mohican Musings | LOTM Script | History | Musical Musings | Storefronts on the Frontier
Off the Beaten Trail | Links
Of Special Interest:
The Eric Schweig Gallery | From the Ramparts | The Listening Room | Against All Odds | The Video Clips Index

DISCLAIMER
Tune, 40, used by permission - composed by Ron Clarke

Custom Search

The Mohican Board! [Bumppo's Redux!] © 1997-2024 - Mohican Press Go To Top Of Page
Current Mohicanland page raised in 0.27 seconds Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.07