The Mohican Board! [Bumppo's Redux!]
The Mohican Board! [Bumppo's Redux!]
10/3/2024 8:28:50 AM
On the Trail...Home | Old Mohican Board Archives | Purpose
Events | Polls | Photos | Classifieds | Downloads
Profile | Register | Members | Private Messages
Search | Posting Tips | FAQ | Web Links | Mohican Chat | Blogs
Forum Bookmarks | Unanswered Posts | Preview Topic Photos | Active Topics
Invite a Friend to the Mohican Board | Guestbook | Greeting Cards | Auction (0) | Colonial Recipe Book
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 COLONIAL TIMES
 The Muster
 The Barracks
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
| More
Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Previous Page | Next Page

Author Previous Topic: Need some info Topic Next Topic: Need list of events?
Page: of 7

One Nut
Pathfinder

Longhunter in Snow

Bumppo's Patron since [at least]:
April 22 2003

Posted - May 12 2003 :  12:02:24 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
Nay Lad, it was late summer of 1761, Six Pak and I were doin' some trade near Ft. Bedford with two of our least favorite customers. One was a Deleware named Wiagasksin, "Big Barn Smell" as he is known by the locals, and his pard the half-breed "Honey-dipper" so called because during the last French War he was known to hide in the outhouses of settlers homes. Well, anyways, Pak and I just finish gettin some squirrel pelts from these two, and were engaged in some post-business refreshment, when we started swappin' stories of our last couple of treks.
Wiagasksin, who is somethin of a traditionalist and only uses a bow, said that if'n it twasn't for our guns, the whites could never make it on the frontier. Pak stepped up an' said that ain't true, our ancestors used bow and arra's and there's even a story about it called "William Tell". Well both he and "Dipper" were real interested in hear'in the story, so Pak went ahead and told it to them. Once Pak had finished, Wigasksin said "This Tell, he sounds like a great warrior, but so am I!" "Dipper" also added "Oui, Wigasksin could do the same feat with his weapon." So Pak, bein' the good friend that he is says, "Well boys, if'n Wigasksin can shot this empty rum bottle off'n the top of 'Nuts head, you can have anything in the store." At this point, I 'ad been hitt'n the 'aged molasses' a wee bit much, and was a will'in to go along with anythin.
To make a long tale short, apparently Wigasksin had a wee bit too much to drink as well, and by the time I awoke in the surgery of Ft. Bedford, Surgeon Glenn was a finishing fittin' the my new eye patch.

Willie "One Nut" Macgregor
Evil Frontier Trader &
Not-So-Longhunter
report to moderator Go to Top of Page

Six Pak
Pathfinder

Canadian Trader

April 24 2003

Posted - May 12 2003 :  01:45:46 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
Pax Aye, Nut!!! I also seem to recall that those two had a good laugh over it. We 'ad some good times over the years, and some close calls. We were together in '55 with General Braddock, you then went to Albany in '56, cause you heard that your cousin's regiment had arrived in the colonies, and even signed on with General Abercrombie for the '58 Crown Point Campaign. During that time, I was defend'n the frontier of Pennsylvania Colony and scouted for Colonel Armstrong and General Forbes. We didn't get together again till you arrived in early '59 with General Stanwix's force to build Ft. Pitt, just cause you figured to get a jump on the trade. All this time, nothin' compares to when we first met, do ya remember...

Regards,
Six Pak
Military Scout, Land Speculator & Local ner-do-well

Sgt.Reynolds
Pathfinder

Longhunter With Dogs
USA

April 24 2003

Posted - May 12 2003 :  02:53:16 AM  Show Profile  Visit Sgt.Reynolds's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
And I'll never forget the time that this fellow False Flags wanted to go through our ranger "Q" course.One of the requirements was to swim across the Allegheny River at its deepest point.He wanted to do this you see,to impress his buddies in the "Appalachian Longhunters" as well as the other "Seasonal Employees".And we were happy to oblige him.What he did not know however,was that we loaded his pack down with stones.When he swam out to the middle,he started to get tired all of the sudden.........and you know the rest of the story

Private MacDougal
Pathfinder

British soldier
USA

April 29 2003

Posted - May 12 2003 :  05:01:19 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
Hey Sgt. Reynolds, speaking of our 'friends', I hear that the local news story featuring the Virginian will air soon. Do you think that he will be getting another not-so-nice call from H.Q.?

Your Most Humble Servant,

Pte. Angus MacDougal
Capt. Graham's Coy.
42nd Royal Highland Regiment

Matross Haden
Pathfinder

USA

April 23 2003

Posted - May 12 2003 :  07:06:58 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
Gentlemen,
I do believe that it is time for the Virginian's masters in Harrisburg to take him to the woodshed. Perhaps the news story will convince the Damage Control Section of the PHMC that he carries too much baggage.

Regards,

Matross John Haden RA

One Nut
Pathfinder

Longhunter in Snow

April 22 2003

Posted - May 12 2003 :  08:34:16 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
Hootnah, Matross!!!! Well said, lad. All of us Western PA reenactors, Pittsburgh area especially, must stand together on this. The Governor has said that he wants to develop tourism, well he's got alot of good sites like Ft. Pitt. Unfortunately, it is the site director who helps foster development, the volunteers and associates can only do so much. If the site director does not care about the site, or the region, the site will fail, regardless of how hard everyone else works. Hopefully Gov. Rendell knows this, and all of our letter writting to him, our state senators and represenatives will not be in vain. Stay true, and fight the good fight!!!

Willie "One Nut" Macgregor
Evil Frontier Trader &
Not-So-Longhunter

Gunner Wilson
Lost in the Wilderness

Paratrooper
USA

April 29 2003

Posted - May 12 2003 :  10:14:29 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
Matross, an old saying comes to mind, "Only a tyrant fears the light of day". Any word from Sgt. Munro on the recovery of the 'misappropriated' French muskets?

P.S.- John, thanks for the birthday card, Lindsay loved it.

YH&OS,
Gunner Alex Wilson RA

Grenouille
Colonial Settler

May 17 2002

Posted - May 12 2003 :  10:13:22 PM  Show Profile  Visit Grenouille's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
Greetings,
Thought I'd let you guys know that the Cook Forest event is now listed on Cook Forest.Com, they used the group picture of the 60th and the 42nd, check it out at: http://www.cookforest.com

Jim

SgtMunro
Soldier of the King

Knight
USA

September 23 2002

Donating Member

Posted - May 12 2003 :  10:51:45 PM  Show Profile  Visit SgtMunro's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
I just checked the site out, Jim, it looks like the event has doubled in size in just one season. Good work!!!

Serjeant-Major Duncan Munro
Capt. Thos. Graham's Coy.
42nd Royal Highland Regiment of Foote
(The Black Sheep of the Black Watch)

"Nemo Me Impune Lacessit"
-Or-
"Recruit locally, fight globally."

60thGrenadier
Pathfinder

King 2
USA

April 30 2003

Posted - May 12 2003 :  11:13:57 PM  Show Profile  Visit 60thGrenadier's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
Aye'that IS a smart-looking picture of me.The word in museum circles is that although "The Virginian" doesn't like history,he shall soon BE history.The P.H.M.C will not renew his contract,especially with the upcoming shake-up

God Save The King

Grenouille
Colonial Settler

May 17 2002

Posted - May 12 2003 :  11:19:09 PM  Show Profile  Visit Grenouille's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
Thanks, Sarge. But, I can't take all the credit, Ranger Dale has played a large part of organizing the event, too. He applied for various grants that allowed us to get our guest speakers, and next year he says that he can probably get even more grants which will allow us even more programming. Bottom line, if it weren't for Ranger Dale working at the park, I don't think we would have ever got our foot in the door at the park. He really does a good job as the interpetive ranger at the park, and he has some pretty interesting wildlife programming for the public.
We could use more state employees like Dale, who always gives more than what is expected of him, unlike the 'Virginian' from what I've been told.

Jim

SgtMunro
Soldier of the King

Knight
USA

September 23 2002

Donating Member

Posted - May 13 2003 :  08:42:00 AM  Show Profile  Visit SgtMunro's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
Jim,
You're right, Ranger Dale could not do enough for everyone there last year. He most certainly is one of the hardest working guys I've ever had the pleasure to meet. Also, he is a man who works tirelessly at gathering and applying knowledge concerning the history of the area. Dale is the kind of man who sets out to be the best at whatever endevor he chooses to pursue. But, guys like you are the ones who have the vision to get things in motion, and you are also willing to grow out in different directions. It is your love of history which drives you to excel and acomplish, where so many others fail. The two of you make a great team, and speaking for Graham's Coy. of the 42nd RHR (That is of course if my Captain doesn't mind) we are honored to be invited back for this season.
Now, if we could only clone Ranger Dale and put him in charge of the Ft. Pitt Museum. Then we would have a site director who would be concerned with growth and development of the site, rather than feathering his own retirement nest and building his political capital.

-Or-

Highlander
Colonial Militia

Bushy Run painting
USA

February 04 2003

Posted - May 13 2003 :  7:01:56 PM  Show Profile  Visit Highlander's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
Ranger Dale is the best!We could use more people like him down at Ft.Pitt.

Highlander

Grenouille
Colonial Settler

May 17 2002

Posted - May 13 2003 :  7:38:52 PM  Show Profile  Visit Grenouille's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
Thanks for the kind words, sarge. Is the 42nd coming up for both days of the encampment or just Saturday, only? What time do you all think you'll arrive?

Jim

SgtMunro
Soldier of the King

Knight
USA

September 23 2002

Donating Member

Posted - May 13 2003 :  7:49:08 PM  Show Profile  Visit SgtMunro's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
I'll be coming up with Lady Munro and my three daughters for the saturday only. It is the first time the oldest two have gone to an event, and I want to break them in easy, besides I have to get them back to my ex on sunday. Some of the lads may stay over, I know that Pte. McConnell and Pte. McKendrick of my company are staying for sure, they might be joined by a couple of others depending on work schedules. I look forward to having a wee dram with you Jim.

-Or-

Sgt.Reynolds
Pathfinder

Longhunter With Dogs
USA

April 24 2003

Posted - May 15 2003 :  12:23:04 AM  Show Profile  Visit Sgt.Reynolds's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
That's agreat picture of the 42nd & 60th,but who's the clown with the blunderbuss?

60thGrenadier
Pathfinder

King 2
USA

April 30 2003

Posted - May 15 2003 :  01:05:37 AM  Show Profile  Visit 60thGrenadier's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by Sgt.Reynolds

That's agreat picture of the 42nd & 60th,but who's the clown with the blunderbuss?

He's the Big "V",let's just leave it at that.In another life,he would be an unemployed comedian.He thinks that reenacting is only about shooting off some black powder and running around camp in civilian clothes after hours.A particularly funny incident happened at Bushy Run last year when False Flags,aka The Career Seasonal Employee tried to grab the ramrod out of his blunderbuss as he was marching off to battle.Big "V" claims that he wasn't going to fire anyway,but it ws humorous to see them both tusseling

Seriously though,Big "V" is like a millstone around our collective necks.He really makes those of us who are interested in living history interpretations look badRecently he has threatened to leave Fort Pitt and go off to The Sen.John Heinz History Center,where he believes that he'll "get more respct".I hope that he takes more of his ilk with him,and I'll even help him pack!

If you really want to see an authentic portrayal of the 60th,check out the Redman bros.out of Ohio.

God Save The King

Sgt.Reynolds
Pathfinder

Longhunter With Dogs
USA

April 24 2003

Posted - May 15 2003 :  1:34:23 PM  Show Profile  Visit Sgt.Reynolds's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
Do you have a website,or contact information for the Redmans?

60thGrenadier
Pathfinder

King 2
USA

April 30 2003

Posted - May 16 2003 :  01:04:35 AM  Show Profile  Visit 60thGrenadier's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
Check out www.royalamericans.com

God Save The King

Private MacDougal
Pathfinder

British soldier
USA

April 29 2003

Posted - May 17 2003 :  10:50:53 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
Hey Grenadier, I checked out their site a while ago. Those Redman brothers are great guys, and their unit is really squared away. They are a group that is serious in the proper portrayal of a 60th RAR "Hat Company", I also understand that they too have a Grenadier impression. The hobby sure is better off with them in it.

Huzzah!!!! For the Redman Brothers!!!!!!

Pte. Angus MacDougal
Capt. Graham's Coy.
42nd Royal Highland Regiment

Matross Haden
Pathfinder

USA

April 23 2003

Posted - May 18 2003 :  01:02:02 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
Dear Highlander,
Thank you again for showing Gnr. Wilson and myself around today at Ft. Pitt. Also, thanks for understanding why we chose to arrive in muffti, as opposed to our proper regimentals. I do have one question, I really liked the 60th Royal American Regiment T-Shirts which the Ft. Pitt Museum Associates were selling, how come they didn't do one for the 42nd Royal Highlander Regiment. Are they trying to sell them short or snub the 42nd? What is going on?

As Always Your Friend,

Matross John Haden RA

Matross Haden
Pathfinder

USA

April 23 2003

Posted - May 18 2003 :  01:10:05 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
Dear Pte. MacDougal,
I agree with you 100%, Bart Redmon is one of the great living historians within the F&IW circle. I had the honor to meet him a couple of years ago, while I was still doing ACW. After chatting with him for a while, which he was very patient and helpful with any of my questions, I then went to see my first F&IW event. Mr. Redmon is an absolute gentleman and wealth of information. I am proud to say that it is because of his personable nature, as well as the accuracy of his impression, that I now do F&IW.

Your Friend,

Matross John Haden RA

60thGrenadier
Pathfinder

King 2
USA

April 30 2003

Posted - May 18 2003 :  01:31:36 AM  Show Profile  Visit 60thGrenadier's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
I can answer that question about the t-shirts.The 60th has been snubbing the 42nd all along,and this was their latest attempt.They paid way too much for the shirts($1,200.00) in the first place,and sold very few to boot.If I were the 42nd,I would be demanding equal time here from the treasurer.In addition,I saw the Big "V" get obnoxious with the Highlander,and accuse him of posting about him on this board.He need look no further than his own regiment.Everyone can see,that the Highlander never even mentions Big "V" at all.In fact,the Highlander has been nothing but nice to everyone in the 60th.I think that he is wasting his time in that "The Virginian"is causing bad blood between the regiments by twisting the facts about what is posted.Furthermore,Big "V" would never dare say anything to Bart Redman.I even saw the Highlander buy one of our t-shirts,and look what he gets.

God Save The King

Sgt.Reynolds
Pathfinder

Longhunter With Dogs
USA

April 24 2003

Posted - May 18 2003 :  05:03:44 AM  Show Profile  Visit Sgt.Reynolds's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
Was Big "V" at the fair?I'm sure that was entertaining.Anyway,I was able to hook up with Bart,and we'll be doing Ft.Niagara & Ft.LeBeouf this year with those guys.Anybody else in Mohicanland going to these events?

Highlander
Colonial Militia

Bushy Run painting
USA

February 04 2003

Posted - May 18 2003 :  5:10:38 PM  Show Profile  Visit Highlander's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by Matross Haden

Dear Highlander,
Thank you again for showing Gnr. Wilson and myself around today at Ft. Pitt. Also, thanks for understanding why we chose to arrive in muffti, as opposed to our proper regimentals. I do have one question, I really liked the 60th Royal American Regiment T-Shirts which the Ft. Pitt Museum Associates were selling, how come they didn't do one for the 42nd Royal Highlander Regiment. Are they trying to sell them short or snub the 42nd? What is going on?

As Always Your Friend,

John,it was a pleasure to show you and "The Gunner"around.I hope that you guys will feel at home in our new RA section.Too bad Rob couldn't make it.Nobody asked for our input on the t-shirts,although they do look nice.They have to figure out down there that either we are a team,or we are not.While the ladies of the 60th did a nice job overall,the reason that the French were a no show was "The Virginian's" hatred of guns and violence and his cancellation of the planned battle.I hate war as well,especially having experienced one firsthand(unlike the Virginian ).But I believe that a battle reenactment would be a fitting tribute to the brave men of Montgomery's highlanders who fell at "The Battle of Grant's Hill" while fighting for King & Country.This is why ACW reenactments are so popular.

What gets me however,is that "The Virginian" is putting both regiments at each other's throats,while he sits back and laughs.He does not add anything positive to the museum.He only knows how to disrupt things and create ill will.Now that I think of it, the word agitator comes to mind.He even dressed for the occasion by wearing a snazzy,pink t-shirt.At least when his bosses come to town,he is in a shirt & tie.But hey,why dress just for a bunch of reenactors?

It is too bad that Paul Day was not here,as you would have enjoyed meeting him.I consider him to be a good friend,who has many years of reenacting experience.If he was online,and could see what I posted about him regarding his "film" experience at Cook's Forest,he'd be laughing too.At least he will be staying with us at Fort Pitt,even if the 60th leaves us for The History Center.See you at the premiere.

Highlander
Page: of 7 Previous Topic: Need some info Topic Next Topic: Need list of events?  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
| More
Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Jump To:

Around The Site:
~ What's New? ~
Pathfinding | Mohican Gatherings | Mohican Musings | LOTM Script | History | Musical Musings | Storefronts on the Frontier
Off the Beaten Trail | Links
Of Special Interest:
The Eric Schweig Gallery | From the Ramparts | The Listening Room | Against All Odds | The Video Clips Index

DISCLAIMER
Tune, 40, used by permission - composed by Ron Clarke

Custom Search

The Mohican Board! [Bumppo's Redux!] © 1997-2024 - Mohican Press Go To Top Of Page
Current Mohicanland page raised in 0.54 seconds Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.07