The Mohican Board! [Bumppo's Redux!]
The Mohican Board! [Bumppo's Redux!]
10/2/2024 11:29:09 PM
On the Trail...Home | Old Mohican Board Archives | Purpose
Events | Polls | Photos | Classifieds | Downloads
Profile | Register | Members | Private Messages
Search | Posting Tips | FAQ | Web Links | Mohican Chat | Blogs
Forum Bookmarks | Unanswered Posts | Preview Topic Photos | Active Topics
Invite a Friend to the Mohican Board | Guestbook | Greeting Cards | Auction (0) | Colonial Recipe Book
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 COLONIAL TIMES
 The Muster
 Need list of events?
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
| More
Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic

Author Previous Topic: The Barracks Topic Next Topic: New Reenactor Site  

jeff42nd
Pathfinder

USA

Bumppo's Patron since [at least]:
February 02 2004

Posted - February 09 2004 :  10:46:26 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hello All,

As I stated in an earlier post I just recently joined a F& I group. The good news is that my wife is supporting this issue, with some reservation. My wife does not want to dress the part, which I told her thats fine. She has informed me, that when I go reenacting, she will go along, but get a hotel room for her and our children.

I need a list of events that I could go to. I am pretty sure my group is going to some, but I was thinking that I might want to go to more events, then they are planning on attending.

What I need from this wonderful community is the date of certain event, so my wife can make plans to get it off from her work. I am a middle school teacher, so my summers are open, except for my master Degree classes, but I can work around those.

Events that I know so far:

Grand Encampment JULY 9-11,
2004 Stony Creek Park, Shelby Township, Michigan

14th River of Time
September
Bay City, Michigan

Please feel free to list any reenactments

Thank You

Private
42nd Highlander
Murray's Company
Jeff
report to moderator

SgtMunro
Soldier of the King

Knight
USA

September 23 2002

Donating Member

Posted - February 09 2004 :  11:00:52 AM  Show Profile  Visit SgtMunro's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
How about the '1759 Siege' event at Fort Meigs? That event ought to be close enough, even for the guys who live on the "U.P."

Your Most Humble Servant,

Serjeant-Major Duncan Munro
Capt. Thos. Graham's Coy.
42nd Royal Highland Regiment of Foote
(The Black Sheep of the Black Watch)

"Nemo Me Impune Lacessit"
-Or-
"Recruit locally, fight globally."
report to moderator Go to Top of Page

Two Kettles
Colonial Settler

USA

August 01 2002

Posted - February 10 2004 :  4:13:06 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
In addition to the siege event at Meigs, there's a timeline event there also.

And there are two timeline events in West Michigan:

Greenville in the spring, May 14-16 (www.johngreensvillage.org);

The Grand Rogue Encampment just north of Grand Rapids in the fall, Sept. 18 & 19 (www.westmichiganlivinghistory.com).

Both have been heavily attended by the Highland units in the past.

Finally, there's the Feast of the Strawberry Moon in Grand Haven, June 12 & 13 (www.grandhaven.com/museum/fotsm.shtml).

Hope these help.

Two Kettles

Two Kettles
Colonial Settler

USA

August 01 2002

Posted - February 10 2004 :  4:30:21 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
Actually, Jeff, the best place to find out "what's happening" in Michigan and the Midwest is at the Kalamazoo Living History Show in March. And this year, there's another reason to go - Robert Griffing will be unveiling a new painting, which will be used as the cover for Kirk's Memoirs. This press release just came out:

Robert Griffing's Newest Painting:
"He Befriended Me Greatly"
will be unveiled at the 29th annual Kalamazoo Living History Show™
March 20-21, 2004

Annual event to attract interest from throughout the Midwest

Robert Griffing, America's foremost frontier artist, will unveil his newest painting entitled, "He Befriended Me Greatly," at the Kalamazoo Living History Show, March 20-21, 2004. The art work was commissioned as the cover of the new book, "Through So Many Dangers: The Memoirs and Adventures of Robert Kirk, Late of the Royal Highland Regiment " by Grand Rapids, Michigan, historian and author, Tim J. Todish and Lt. Col. Ian McCulloch, of the Canadian Army.

Griffing's cover painting, "He Befriended Me Greatly," depicts the dramatic moment when Robert Kirk of the Royal Highland Regiment is captured and "rescued" by the Shawnee warrior who will soon become his
adopted brother. With Griffing's skill at painting both Highlanders and Indians, there is no doubt that this opportunity to combine both into one scene will result in one of his finest works. The original painting will be part of a special exhibit of Robert Griffing's artwork.

The book, "Through So Many Dangers: The Memoirs and Adventures of Robert Kirk, Late of the Royal Highland Regiment," is an annotated and illustrated reprinting of an extremely rare French & Indian War
journal that has a great deal of relevance to early Michigan and the Midwest. Kirk (actually Robert Kirkwood)was a private soldier of the 77th (Montgomerie's), and later the 42nd (Black Watch) Highland Regiments. He was captured by the Shawnee during Major Grant's engagement at Fort Duquesne, September 1758, and adopted into the tribe. After he escaped and rejoined his regiment, he went to St. Francis with Rogers' Rangers as a volunteer, accompanied Rogers to Detroit in 1760, and took part in Battle of Signal Hill, Newfoundland.
During the Pontiac War, he participated in the Battle of Bushy Run, and in 1765 accompanied the Stirling Expedition down the Ohio River to take possession of Fort de Chartres.

The book is scheduled to debut at the Fort Ticonderoga War College of the Seven Years' War in May. In addition to the cover, a number of Griffing's other paintings are used as illustrations for the book. A selection of 18th and 19th century maps and engravings will round out the illustrations.

Visit Our Web Site At: www.KalamazooShow.Com

Two Kettles

Grenouille
Colonial Settler

May 17 2002

Posted - February 10 2004 :  8:52:01 PM  Show Profile  Visit Grenouille's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
Hi,
How about Cook Forest French & Indian War Encampment at Cooksburg, Pa? Only about 4 or five hours from Michigan, and your family will love it, too!

Click on: http://www.cookforest.com/activities/frenchindianwarencampment/speakers-presenters.cfm

www.cookforest.com
www.cookforest.org

Jim

Highlander
Colonial Militia

Bushy Run painting
USA

February 04 2003

Posted - February 14 2004 :  01:26:03 AM  Show Profile  Visit Highlander's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
It sounds as if this will be a pretty good event.Robert Griffing shot the photos along with his historian Scott Stevenson at Ft.Ligonier this past October.I am happy to say that I was able to make a small contribution to its success.

Highlander
  Previous Topic: The Barracks Topic Next Topic: New Reenactor Site  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
| More
Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Jump To:

Around The Site:
~ What's New? ~
Pathfinding | Mohican Gatherings | Mohican Musings | LOTM Script | History | Musical Musings | Storefronts on the Frontier
Off the Beaten Trail | Links
Of Special Interest:
The Eric Schweig Gallery | From the Ramparts | The Listening Room | Against All Odds | The Video Clips Index

DISCLAIMER
Tune, 40, used by permission - composed by Ron Clarke

Custom Search

The Mohican Board! [Bumppo's Redux!] © 1997-2024 - Mohican Press Go To Top Of Page
Current Mohicanland page raised in 0.27 seconds Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.07