The Mohican Board! [Bumppo's Redux!]
The Mohican Board! [Bumppo's Redux!]
10/11/2024 6:19:00 AM
On the Trail...Home | Old Mohican Board Archives | Purpose
Events | Polls | Photos | Classifieds | Downloads
Profile | Register | Members | Private Messages
Search | Posting Tips | FAQ | Web Links | Mohican Chat | Blogs
Forum Bookmarks | Unanswered Posts | Preview Topic Photos | Active Topics
Invite a Friend to the Mohican Board | Guestbook | Greeting Cards | Auction (0) | Colonial Recipe Book
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 LAST OF THE MOHICANS
 The Last of the Mohicans ...
 Has anyone seen this?
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
| More
Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Next Page

Author Previous Topic: Dougie Maclean US tour! Topic Next Topic: Sheet music for LOTM
Page: of 2

susquesus
Mad Hermit of the North Woods

Susquesus
USA

Bumppo's Patron since [at least]:
September 03 2003

Posted - February 11 2007 :  01:17:14 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I was being a nerd and looking around for weird new movies to check out and I found this:

Image Insert:

85.29 KB

It's german but it might be interesting. Let me know if anyone's watched it.
report to moderator

Fitzhugh Williams
Mohicanland Statesman

July 17 2005

Posted - February 11 2007 :  09:48:14 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
German westerns have a flavor all their own. Don't expect too much, but do expect something different. Still, they are a lot better than watching reruns of CSI or Law and Order!!!

"Les deux pieds contre la muraille et la tete sous le robinet"
report to moderator Go to Top of Page

Irishgirl
Council of Elders

Irish Girl Avatar
USA

February 14 2006

Donating Member

Posted - February 11 2007 :  10:07:09 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
Well the guy on the cover sure looks hot

IG

Redbird
Pioneer

USA

August 25 2004

Posted - February 11 2007 :  12:35:18 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by Irishgirl

Yes, he does! The funny thing is... he looks like he could be "black Irish" as much as Indian!

raindrops
Colonial Settler

United Kingdom

March 25 2006

Posted - February 11 2007 :  5:42:55 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by Redbird

quote:

Yes, he does! The funny thing is... he looks like he could be "black Irish" as much as Indian!

Yes, he looks a bit "overdone" for an Indian.

Good-looking nevertheless.. I can see passion in his eyes..

caitlin
Bumppos Tavern Patron

MMBrand
USA

May 17 2002

Donating Member

Posted - February 11 2007 :  11:17:12 PM  Show Profile  Visit caitlin's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
Westerns with a Twist

Jack McCall: "Should we shake hands or something, relieve the atmosphere. I mean how stupid do you think I am?"
Wild Bill Hickok: "I don't know, I just met you."

"A nation with no regard to it's past will have little future worth remembering."
A.Lincoln

"Enjoy the little things, for one day you may look back and realize that they were the big things"

paazau
Colonial Settler

Australia

March 11 2006

Posted - February 11 2007 :  11:19:00 PM  Show Profile  Send paazau a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
quote:

That he does IG!

My turn to be nerdy susquesus... his name is Gojko Mitic and he was born on June 13th, 1940 in Strojkovce, Serbia, Yugoslavia... courtesy of wikipedia.

Off topic here, but I discovered something new and very useful... if you do a yahoo search with his name in double quotes (") and +picture. the search results are all sites with pictures of him. This could be very useful for finding more pics of our man Uncas..... Know what I'll be doing the rest of the afternoon!!
apologies if some of you already knew this - i love finding new things... and it doesn't take much to amuse me!!

"You do not know what you're saying girl!"
"Yes I do, I know exactly what I am saying, and if it is sedition, then I am guilty of sedition too!"

Light of the Moon
Mohicanland Statesman

Car in Fog
USA

December 18 2004

Posted - February 12 2007 :  12:06:15 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
The wig looks awful!!
Grow his locks out nice and long and dye them black and then he'll be my pushing buttons!

I live in my own little world - but that's okay, they know me here!

Irishgirl
Council of Elders

Irish Girl Avatar
USA

February 14 2006

Donating Member

Posted - February 12 2007 :  09:31:15 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by Light of the Moon

The wig looks awful!!
Grow his locks out nice and long and dye them black and then he'll be my pushing buttons!

Since when did you get picky

IG

RedFraggle
Mohicanite

Redhead

October 13 2006

Posted - February 12 2007 :  8:38:08 PM  Show Profile  Visit RedFraggle's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
quote:
Since when did you get picky

Maybe it's because he's not a real native!

Light of the Moon
Mohicanland Statesman

Car in Fog
USA

December 18 2004

Posted - February 14 2007 :  09:56:31 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
Bingo.
I love caramel!! I will always hold true to that. And Mocha and Chocolate.
And if you're vanilla trying to be caramel you best look the part!

Irishgirl
Council of Elders

Irish Girl Avatar
USA

February 14 2006

Donating Member

Posted - February 14 2007 :  10:03:25 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
Well I was going through some old VHS movies yesterday that had not seen the light of day in years and guess what I found none other than "The Deerslayer" starring Steve Forrest as Hawkeye and Ned Romero as Chingy. I know Red discussed this in some thread recently and it has the beautiful Mohican Princess Wa-ta-wa who is captured by the Hurons and they attempt to save her. I am so looking forward to watching this one as I have never seen it before. At least from the cover Ned Romero does look Indian but I will always think of Steve Forrest as that character he played in the soap "Dallas" Wes Parmalee. Hope that does not spoil it for me. I will give my thoughts on this one after I have watched it.

IG

Fitzhugh Williams
Mohicanland Statesman

July 17 2005

Posted - February 14 2007 :  10:24:24 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
I ordered two new (actually old) movies I heard about. "Girl With a Pearl Earring" and "Le Colonel Chabert". The first is set in the 17th century and the second is Napoleonic. Only thing about Le Colonel Chabert is that it is in French and there are no subtitles. Still, both come highly recommended.

Light of the Moon
Mohicanland Statesman

Car in Fog
USA

December 18 2004

Posted - February 14 2007 :  12:18:00 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
Do you speak French, Fitz.
I haven't spoke it in about 10years. But if you speak it I can understand it pretty good. In fact, a friend of mine didn't know that I use to speak it and she was talking with another friend of mine and (not about me) they were just having fun seeing who was more fluent. When I bust out laughing at a joke they told they were surprised to say the least. Anyway...I may see if it's rentable or downloadable anywhere. I don't really get into 17th century Europe too much. Lots of sad, twisted things going on there. Amd the french had a strange way of showing gratitude for someone saving their country.
Joan of Arc - betrayed and turned over to the English who burned her at the stake for being a woman dressed like a warrior. The French Parliment did this AFTER she saved France of course. The cruel twist of fate is they didn't have to turn her over and they could have saved her at one point but never did.
Napolean - exiled to a deserted island, his followers with him, in the Chateau Deif (jail known as house of the deaf - scream all you want, we can't hear you) or prosecuted on the spot with the Guillotine. Yes, 17th century french not exactly my cup of tea. A very brutal time in history.
Still I'd like to see the flick but wouldn't want to own it.

Obediah
Mohicanland Statesman

Skull 5
USA

August 16 2006

Donating Member

Posted - February 14 2007 :  6:46:03 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
The French may have given up Joan d'Arc to the Brits, but they're the ones who toasted her...the 1st french fry??!! Kind of reminds you of Duncan, huh?

Fitzhugh Williams
Mohicanland Statesman

July 17 2005

Posted - February 14 2007 :  7:46:07 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
No, I don't speak French all that well (understatement). It's better than my German, but not quite as good as my Spanish. So the movie should be a real challenge, but I understand there is some really good calvary battles. The other movie, Girl With a Pearl Earring, is supposed to be a "chick flick", but guys seem to like it and girls don't, so go figure! I guess we are the emotional ones after all. And now with 5 more hours of Mohican madness at my disposal, I will be spending some time with the DVD player.

Light of the Moon
Mohicanland Statesman

Car in Fog
USA

December 18 2004

Posted - February 14 2007 :  9:18:59 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by Obediah

The French may have given up Joan d'Arc to the Brits, but they're the ones who toasted her...the 1st french fry??!! Kind of reminds you of Duncan, huh?

EEEWWWWWW, Obi!
'Tis true though.
I just gotta' wonder...Did somebody shoot her while she was going up in flames?
Hey...I think you just found the right woman for Cap. Crunch! And on Valentine's! How nice of you Obi!

No creo, Fitz! Dige me, por favor, quantos anos que hablas espagnol y a donde apprendes? Escuela? Amigos? Familia? Y que dialecto?

Oh yeah! Happy Valentine's Day Y'all!
AND my personal fave for this holiday:
Damn Cupid!

Light of the Moon
Mohicanland Statesman

Car in Fog
USA

December 18 2004

Posted - February 14 2007 :  9:31:35 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
Oops! I doubled again. Apparently I'm having some problems with my computer skills! Just ignore me.

RedFraggle
Mohicanite

Redhead

October 13 2006

Posted - February 14 2007 :  10:27:06 PM  Show Profile  Visit RedFraggle's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by Fitzhugh Williams

No, I don't speak French all that well (understatement). It's better than my German, but not quite as good as my Spanish.

Ah, Fitz! Wenn Sie Deutsch sprechen wollen, koennen Sie mit mir sprechen. Ich lerne jetzt, aber ich spreche (sonst noch!) nicht besonders gut. Ich kann nur Franzoesisch lesen. Hoffentlich werde ich nachstes Jahr Franzoesisch lernen.

Probably some mistakes in that. Entschuldigung! I'm just learning.

Fitzhugh Williams
Mohicanland Statesman

July 17 2005

Posted - February 14 2007 :  11:36:36 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
Well, I had two years of what is known as high school Spanish, and four years of German in College. Of course that was a year or two ago. But surprisingly enough I seem to remember more of the Spanish than the German. I made "A's" in German and barely managed to squeeze out a "D" in Spanish. Go figure. Then I decided a that I needed to learn French. I mean after all, if you are going to be French then you probably should speak it. Or at least understand something of it. So I went to Best Buy and bought a CD on sale. After a year or so I was making no progress. Then I put the CD in the laptop and played it, and that made all the difference. Probably if I played the CD more, I would learn more. I have noticed a relationship there. I guess I am more of a dabbler than a learner. I took a year of Latin and remember nothing, but I can recite the Greek alphabet. I tried to learn some Egyptial heiroglyphics, but didn't make much progress there. And I also bought a CD of the Cherokee language and a dictionary to go with it. I guess I should try playing it too. When I started going north for some F&I events, we were told then when we were on the field to either speak French or keep our mouths shut. All the drill and marching commands are in French, and many of the Canadiens are native French speakers. But many of the "US" French do not speak it, and it makes for some interesting situations when your immediate superior does not understand the marching commands, and is not really sure which is droite and gauche, and you find yourself at the front of the column and you have to interpret command, which are a great deal more than just droite and gauche. So, in 2008, when I grap my passport and my fusil and head for Louisbourg, maybe I will be able to speak and understand enough French to be comfortable in the tavern!

A thought:
It's one thing to read a language, another to compose a sentence in it, and quite another to understand it when it is spoken. I can't understand a lot of English dialects, so what chance do I have to understand a spoken foreign language unless I happened to be taught that specific dialect. My favorite phrase: Parlez plus lentement, s'il vous plâit.

RedFraggle
Mohicanite

Redhead

October 13 2006

Posted - February 15 2007 :  08:15:32 AM  Show Profile  Visit RedFraggle's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
quote:

A thought: It's one thing to read a language, another to compose a sentence in it, and quite another to understand it when it is spoken.

Well said! I've been studying dead languages for a long time(and am now teaching them), but I had never had a modern foreign language course until a few years ago.

I took a French for reading knowledge class, which treated the language like a puzzle rather than a language, with the obvious result that I can dissect French sentences for reading pretty easily but can't speak a word of it. I can pick out a few select phrases here and there if someone is speaking very slowly, but that's about it.

I started learning spoken German 6 months ago and wow! is it ever a different experience than learning Latin, Greek, or French for reading. Our learning muscles for reading, writing, and speaking are definitely very different, which I think a lot of people don't realize.

Sorry. That's my

Hope everybody had a great Valentine's Day! I'm off to feel guilty about eating more of the red velvet cake I made yesterday. Yum!

Irishgirl
Council of Elders

Irish Girl Avatar
USA

February 14 2006

Donating Member

Posted - February 15 2007 :  09:38:32 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
Well I watched "The Deerslayer" last night and was surprised to see a young Madeline Stowe in it playing Hetty Hutter. Two daughters of a guy who live on the Lake in this one and she is the one who supposedly is a bit "touched" and the Huron would do her no harm. She is very sweet in this one. What a coincidence though.

Well Hawkeye and Chingy are blood brothers in this one and it takes place after Uncas has died. The bad guy Huron is "Rivenoak" who is no match for "Magua" obviously and then there is the English Officer Lt. David Plowden who knows nothing of the wild and surviving in it. Hetty even has to save him.

Hawkeye and Chingy have to go save a Delaware Princess Wa-tah-wa who is captured by the Hurons and rescue Plowden along the way. They go to Fort Niagra where all have been slaughtered by the Huron and meet Harry March there. He is some kind of trapper or trader. Pretty fond of Huron scalps too at 10cents a piece. They travel to the Lake to rescue Mr Hutter and his two daughters Judith and Hetty who live on the Lake. Well to cut a long story short they have to save them and rescue the Princess.

Hawkeye is the one whom "Rivenoak" and the Hurons want to BBQ in this one.

Not an epic like LOTM the movie but it was okay. There was some silliness with hand grenades being thrown at the Hurons when they tried to make their escape at the end. No grenades back then and too many white men playing Indians in this one God how I hate that. At least get Indians to play Indians. It was watchable though and Madeline Stowe was very enjoyable in this. So young and sweet and innocent and her character loved the woods although she had a wild bear that she could talk with which was more silliness.

Just wanted to comment on this one. Anyone else seen it

Steve Forrest is no DDL as Hawkeye. No sexiness there at all. Acting was not great overall as they were all a bit wooden. Worth a watch though.

IG

Fitzhugh Williams
Mohicanland Statesman

July 17 2005

Posted - February 15 2007 :  09:52:57 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
Last night I watched some of Brokeback Mountain (hey! it was Valentine's Day) and I couldn't understand half of what Heath Ledger said. Probably just as well. But imagine a non-native English speaker trying to understand that. I can understand some of the Spanish language stations, but I can understand a word the local Mexicans say. It doesn't sound like the same language. My daughter used to play doubles with a girl whose father was retired from the CIA. We used to sit at tournaments and try to pick out where the other players were from by their accents. He was good!!! Another friend of my daughter spent a summer in Spain as an exchange student. She said it was about a month before she quit "translating" and began speaking naturally. Without that kind of immersion, I don't think you ever really learn a language.

Fitzhugh Williams
Mohicanland Statesman

July 17 2005

Posted - February 15 2007 :  09:58:41 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
quote:
No grenades back then

Actually, there were. Hence the term "Grenadier". The cartridge box they carried was originally for grenades, and they still retained the tube for the slow match as a status symbol. I guess the grenades weren't too effective, so they Grenadiers were used as shock troops instead.

Irishgirl
Council of Elders

Irish Girl Avatar
USA

February 14 2006

Donating Member

Posted - February 15 2007 :  09:59:50 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
At last someone else who could not understand Heath Ledger's accent in that movie. Seems to me he spent most of his time mumbling. I had to ask my daughter what he said when we watched it. The movie made me "squirm" for obvious reasons and I only watched it to see what all the fuss was about. People saying what a great movie it was. I did not think so at all. I will never watch that again. Enough said.

IG

Irishgirl
Council of Elders

Irish Girl Avatar
USA

February 14 2006

Donating Member

Posted - February 15 2007 :  10:02:36 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
quote:

quote:
No grenades back then

Actually, there were. Hence the term "Grenadier". The cartridge box they carried was originally for grenades, and they still retained the tube for the slow match as a status symbol. I guess the grenades weren't too effective, so they Grenadiers were used as shock troops instead.

I stand corrected. Thanks for the info Fitz.

IG
Page: of 2 Previous Topic: Dougie Maclean US tour! Topic Next Topic: Sheet music for LOTM  
Next Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
| More
Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Jump To:

Around The Site:
~ What's New? ~
Pathfinding | Mohican Gatherings | Mohican Musings | LOTM Script | History | Musical Musings | Storefronts on the Frontier
Off the Beaten Trail | Links
Of Special Interest:
The Eric Schweig Gallery | From the Ramparts | The Listening Room | Against All Odds | The Video Clips Index

DISCLAIMER
Tune, 40, used by permission - composed by Ron Clarke

Custom Search

The Mohican Board! [Bumppo's Redux!] © 1997-2024 - Mohican Press Go To Top Of Page
Current Mohicanland page raised in 0.61 seconds Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.07