The Mohican Board! [Bumppo's Redux!]
The Mohican Board! [Bumppo's Redux!]
10/11/2024 8:21:41 AM
On the Trail...Home | Old Mohican Board Archives | Purpose
Events | Polls | Photos | Classifieds | Downloads
Profile | Register | Members | Private Messages
Search | Posting Tips | FAQ | Web Links | Mohican Chat | Blogs
Forum Bookmarks | Unanswered Posts | Preview Topic Photos | Active Topics
Invite a Friend to the Mohican Board | Guestbook | Greeting Cards | Auction (0) | Colonial Recipe Book
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 LAST OF THE MOHICANS
 The Last of the Mohicans ...
 Has anyone seen this?
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
| More
Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Previous Page

Author Previous Topic: Dougie Maclean US tour! Topic Next Topic: Sheet music for LOTM
Page: of 2

RedFraggle
Mohicanite

Redhead

Bumppo's Patron since [at least]:
October 13 2006

Posted - February 15 2007 :  12:35:18 PM  Show Profile  Visit RedFraggle's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by Irishgirl

Hawkeye and Chingy have to go save a Delaware Princess Wa-tah-wa who is captured by the Hurons and rescue Plowden along the way. They go to Fort Niagra where all have been slaughtered by the Huron and meet Harry March there. . . . They travel to the Lake to rescue Mr Hutter and his two daughters Judith and Hetty who live on the Lake.

It's always interesting to me how books get transformed into movies. Sometimes they don't even seem like the same stories.

Cooper's book Deerslayer starts with Hawkeye and Harry March traveling through the woods to visit the Hutter family on the lake where they live. I'm only about 3/4 of the way through the book right now but, as far as I can tell, Fort Niagara doesn't come into play at all. And there's no Plowden yet either. Hawkeye and Ching certainly don't save him when they go to get Wah-ta-wah. I wonder if someone thought Plowden should be added in to make the story more like LOTM, where Duncan plays the role of the guy who just can't hack it in the woods. Curious!

quote:
Well I watched "The Deerslayer" last night and was surprised to see a young Madeline Stowe in it playing Hetty Hutter.

Interesting! I'll have to watch this movie. Wonder if it's available on Netflix. Talking to the bear does seem a little funny, but I'm curious to see Madeline Stowe in the role of the "simple-minded" Hetty Hutter. Thanks for the info, IG!
report to moderator Go to Top of Page

Irishgirl
Council of Elders

Irish Girl Avatar
USA

February 14 2006

Donating Member

Posted - February 15 2007 :  12:41:10 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
You're welcome Red and you know they always change things when they make books into movies. Look how much stuff was different in LOTM.

IG

RedFraggle
Mohicanite

Redhead

October 13 2006

Posted - February 15 2007 :  12:48:52 PM  Show Profile  Visit RedFraggle's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by Fitzhugh Williams

Last night I watched some of Brokeback Mountain (hey! it was Valentine's Day) and I couldn't understand half of what Heath Ledger said.

Me either! I watched this movie with a group of friends and we all kept looking at each other going "What?!?" every time he opened his mouth. What gets me is that he was nominated for an Academy Award for the performance. How is slurring your words so horribly that no one can understand you acting?!

Sorry. Clearly I didn't like this movie. I almost stopped watching halfway through because I found it so boring. I think I was expecting a lot because of all the hype about it, but I really can't see why the movie was all that controversial. HBO's Six Feet Under portrayed a homosexual relationship on screen much more explicitly, so Ennis and Jack's blink-and-you'll-miss-it romp in the tent seemed like nothing. I spent the whole movie yawning and glancing at my watch.

RedFraggle
Mohicanite

Redhead

October 13 2006

Posted - February 15 2007 :  1:06:51 PM  Show Profile  Visit RedFraggle's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
Hey, look! Me again! Clearly I'm not going to get any work done today.

I was looking around for the version of Deerslayer that IG mentioned, but it's not available on Netflix. But I did find out that the guy who plays Hawkeye in the movie was 54 years old when the movie was made! Deerslayer is supposed to be about Hawkeye's "first warpath" when he's a lad of 21 or 22. And a 50+ actor plays him! Weird.

Also weird is this, the only version of Deerslayer that Netflix offers. It's a 1921 silent film starring Bela Lugosi as Chingachgook. Wonder if he flits into the Huron camp in bat form and sucks the blood of his unwitting enemies.
Image Insert:

7.02 KB

Irishgirl
Council of Elders

Irish Girl Avatar
USA

February 14 2006

Donating Member

Posted - February 15 2007 :  2:32:41 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
Hey Red you can buy the VHS version on ebay for $2.99 right now. It is the 1978 version that I watched with Steve Forrest as Hawkeye. Act fast.

IG

Light of the Moon
Mohicanland Statesman

Car in Fog
USA

December 18 2004

Posted - February 19 2007 :  12:11:06 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
quote:

A thought:
It's one thing to read a language, another to compose a sentence in it, and quite another to understand it when it is spoken. I can't understand a lot of English dialects, so what chance do I have to understand a spoken foreign language unless I happened to be taught that specific dialect. My favorite phrase: Parlez plus lentement, s'il vous plâit.

Pourquoi, monsieur? Non c'est possible!
Good point Fitz. A lot of people don't understand the difference unless they've ventured into it in greater depth. In HS they pretty much stick with the grammatics (or at least they did in mine) but getting into college I get this native to France professor who spared no mercy. She spoke it the entire time even if you didn't understand. I remember only one time she explained in english and only because the entire class looked confused. So when I got to college, I could read it, write it, like it was nothing. In college (it took about 3 semesters) I started to speak it with ease. Unfortunately, like I said, haven't used it much in ten years and lost the ability to speak it. I do remember some and am trying to relearn the conversational skills.
Sorry for going all crazy on the spanish thing. I love to jump on every opportunity I can to practice!

I live in my own little world - but that's okay, they know me here!

Fitzhugh Williams
Mohicanland Statesman

July 17 2005

Posted - February 19 2007 :  2:45:35 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
I had a German teacher in college that spoke a very harsh Baltic German. He could make a two syllable word out of "ich". Need less to say, I can't begin to understand German as most people speak it. We had to read Kafka, Mann and others and I got to where I acually liked them. I ran into another reenactor at Cowpens that also does WWII, and I guess he is the only person I ever met who knows the words to Die Fahne Hoch, and I am probably the only person he knows who understands them.

"Les deux pieds contre la muraille et la tete sous le robinet"

Light of the Moon
Mohicanland Statesman

Car in Fog
USA

December 18 2004

Posted - February 21 2007 :  9:43:44 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
Out of curiosity (being a language freak I can't help it) can you translate that?

Fitzhugh Williams
Mohicanland Statesman

July 17 2005

Posted - February 21 2007 :  11:47:03 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
Who me? Translate what?

RedFraggle
Mohicanite

Redhead

October 13 2006

Posted - February 22 2007 :  08:09:43 AM  Show Profile  Visit RedFraggle's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
quote:

I had a German teacher in college that spoke a very harsh Baltic German. He could make a two syllable word out of "ich". Needless to say, I can't begin to understand German as most people speak it.

Wow. Two-syllable ich? How did you ever understand the guy?

As far as understanding goes, I'm just beginning. I understand about 90% of what my instructor says in the classroom, but when I listen to dialogues on tape I catch maybe a little over half. The instructor says that, for right now, "getting the gist" of what's said is more important than understanding every word. Hopefully someday I'll be able to understand every word, but I'm a long way from that now!

Sorry about lapsing into German earlier. Since I am just learning I get excited when I think I can practice with someone. My husband is annoyed to no end when I go around the house speaking German to myself. He's convinced I'm saying bad things about him.

Fitzhugh Williams
Mohicanland Statesman

July 17 2005

Posted - February 22 2007 :  08:56:05 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
quote:
How did you ever understand the guy?

After listening to him for four years, I could understand what he said. The problem is, I couldn't understand anyone else. His was a very harsh sounding German. He loved the umlaut. Other Germans I have known rolled over the pronunciation very smoothly, but he seemed to delight in the way he spoke them.

I watched my new DVD Le Colonel Chabert last night. It was in French with no subtitles (not my choice, but that's the only way it came). I did understand a couple of dozen words! Some great scenes of the French cavalry charge against the Russians at Eylau, but in general typically a 19th century novel.

Light of the Moon
Mohicanland Statesman

Car in Fog
USA

December 18 2004

Posted - February 22 2007 :  09:18:57 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
quote:

Another friend of my daughter spent a summer in Spain as an exchange student. She said it was about a month before she quit "translating" and began speaking naturally. Without that kind of immersion, I don't think you ever really learn a language.

Couldn't agree more. This is usually why college professors refuse to translate or speak english in any foreign language class. I do regret saying that my current spanish professor teaches only in english and uses H.S. handouts to assist her. I feel let down because I figured a professor would want to speak only the language they're teaching. That is why students are taking the class, right?

At Univ. of Cincinnasty all you'll find are foreign language professors who refuse to speak english. Too bad out-of-state tuition is ridiculously high in OH.

Oh well...as the french say, "C'est la vie!"

Page: of 2 Previous Topic: Dougie Maclean US tour! Topic Next Topic: Sheet music for LOTM  
Previous Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
| More
Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Jump To:

Around The Site:
~ What's New? ~
Pathfinding | Mohican Gatherings | Mohican Musings | LOTM Script | History | Musical Musings | Storefronts on the Frontier
Off the Beaten Trail | Links
Of Special Interest:
The Eric Schweig Gallery | From the Ramparts | The Listening Room | Against All Odds | The Video Clips Index

DISCLAIMER
Tune, 40, used by permission - composed by Ron Clarke

Custom Search

The Mohican Board! [Bumppo's Redux!] © 1997-2024 - Mohican Press Go To Top Of Page
Current Mohicanland page raised in 0.46 seconds Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.07