The Mohican Board! [Bumppo's Redux!]
The Mohican Board! [Bumppo's Redux!]
10/10/2024 3:30:02 PM
On the Trail...Home | Old Mohican Board Archives | Purpose
Events | Polls | Photos | Classifieds | Downloads
Profile | Register | Members | Private Messages
Search | Posting Tips | FAQ | Web Links | Mohican Chat | Blogs
Forum Bookmarks | Unanswered Posts | Preview Topic Photos | Active Topics
Invite a Friend to the Mohican Board | Guestbook | Greeting Cards | Auction (0) | Colonial Recipe Book
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 LAST OF THE MOHICANS
 The Last of the Mohicans ...
 Uncas and Alice: A Contrary Opinion
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
| More
Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Previous Page | Next Page

Author Previous Topic: Alices braided hair... Topic Next Topic: why did duncan choose to die?
Page: of 5

zinvor
Pioneer

Huron 2
Armenia

Bumppo's Patron since [at least]:
May 13 2006

Posted - June 24 2006 :  07:35:18 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by Irishgirl

I have never read the book but I have to wonder why he did not make his movie true to the book. Would it not have been as exciting? I guess there was some kind of romance going on in the book or at least a hint of love. Guess he did not want to pair an Indian Uncas with a white woman Cora but just hinted at the Uncas/Alice thing. Cora seemed better paired up with Nathaniel.

well in my opinion there was very little romance in the book: nothing really happened between Uncas and Cora. He just looked at her all the time and didn't want to jump through the fall and leave her. No more talking between them, almost like between Uncas and Alice in the movie. But i guess it was just background in the book, it wasn't enough for the film to impress us.

I guess if MM wanted to show love tested by fate and to keep a "couple" alive the best way was Hawkeye/Cora love story. i agree with you Irishgirl that he didn't want to pair Indian with white woman. He even had to kill her father to avoid any questions about Cora getting married to "wild" - though white - man.
report to moderator Go to Top of Page

zinvor
Pioneer

Huron 2
Armenia

May 13 2006

Posted - June 24 2006 :  07:44:20 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by Wilderness Woman

I am really quite glad that Mann did take out the supposed "love scene" between Uncas and Alice under the waterfall. I think it would have been highly inappropriate to the story. How much better it is this way, with Uncas's unrequited love becoming quite literally the death of him.

Absolutely. I like this way much more. I guess that was the point. He didn't have to save her, he didn't know whether she even liked him or knew he liked her. It was a honorable and sudden longing. He was young (under 20 i guess) and must have been in love. I think it is seen by the way he looks at her on the cliffs.

raindrops
Colonial Settler

United Kingdom

March 25 2006

Posted - June 25 2006 :  8:20:05 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by zinvor

quote:
Originally posted by Wilderness Woman

I am really quite glad that Mann did take out the supposed "love scene" between Uncas and Alice under the waterfall. I think it would have been highly inappropriate to the story. How much better it is this way, with Uncas's unrequited love becoming quite literally the death of him.

Absolutely. I like this way much more. I guess that was the point. He didn't have to save her, he didn't know whether she even liked him or knew he liked her. It was a honorable and sudden longing. He was young (under 20 i guess) and must have been in love. I think it is seen by the way he looks at her on the cliffs.

I agree in a way. Leaving the love scene out created quite interesting effect, making their relationship subtle (maybe even too subtle) and compelling us to use our imagination.

Also, after reading the script I found it confusing as to why they suddenly enter such intimacy, with the lack of dialog between them and all. Accordnig to the script it happened because Alice was frightened and her will to live pushed her into this somehow: "Then her mouth seeks his and in the passion of despair and fear and wanting life, she holds him between her thighs. And Uncas is confused, but Alice whispers his name and he responds." Afterwards she is ashamed..I must admit I find it difficult to understand..

But that is also why I would like to see this scene and how they acted it out. Maybe then it would become clearer. There is also another, more personal reason.. That is - I want to see more of Uncas and it would be interesting to see him doing something other than running and fighting..

zinvor
Pioneer

Huron 2
Armenia

May 13 2006

Posted - June 26 2006 :  05:22:16 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by raindrops
[br

But that is also why I would like to see this scene and how they acted it out. Maybe then it would become clearer. There is also another, more personal reason.. That is - I want to see more of Uncas and it would be interesting to see him doing something other than running and fighting..

I think many of us would prefer to see more of Uncas, including me of course.
What I didn't like about this scene in the script was Alice's reaction. I don't believe a girl like Alice in the 18th century would actually kiss an unknown man and especially hold him between her thighs, even out of fear and despair.

Autumn
Pathfinder

June 03 2006

Posted - June 26 2006 :  10:06:32 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
Perhaps she was thinking of her future with Magua and that was perhaps her only chance of really "loving" someone as gentle as Uncas, knowing from then on things would not be "gentle"?

Autumn

Monadnock Guide
Council of Elders

USA

March 14 2005

Posted - June 27 2006 :  06:51:00 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
This has kinda gotten "off topic" - predictably. The original post was about erasing the Uncas/Alice thing, never to be seen again. Not a bad thought ... ;)

you can keep "The Change"

zinvor
Pioneer

Huron 2
Armenia

May 13 2006

Posted - June 28 2006 :  05:36:46 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by Autumn

Perhaps she was thinking of her future with Magua and that was perhaps her only chance of really "loving" someone as gentle as Uncas, knowing from then on things would not be "gentle"?

Maybe she was. but in my opinion she was so scared and shocked she could hardly have such a thought. Actually I don't believe she could have this "bad thought" at all...

raindrops
Colonial Settler

United Kingdom

March 25 2006

Posted - June 28 2006 :  5:55:40 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by Autumn

I haven't thought about it myself but it seems a very insightful idea and a realistic explanation. It sounds quite human.. It would be more believeable if it was just a kiss maybe (although Indian did not kiss back the apparently..) but then our instincts and impulses can manifest themselves in different ways..

Wonderful thought, Autumn..

Lady of Glencairn
Colonial Settler

Prison Break - Sara Tancredi
South Africa

May 29 2004

Posted - July 06 2006 :  05:29:07 AM  Show Profile  Visit Lady of Glencairn's Homepage  Click to see Lady of Glencairn's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
Just to add my few cents worth ... I believe that Uncas was in love with Alice, but Im not convinced that she was in love with him. Throughout the whole film she comes across as fragile and afraid ... and yes, perhaps she might have viewed him as some form of protector, but there isnt enough to go on to say without a reasonable doubt that she loved him. The movie would probably have done as well had the secondary romantic subplot not taken place ... but hey, I enjoyed it too ... so speculate on!!!

Lady of Glencairn
"Love is the triumph of imagination over intelligence" - H.L. Mencken

zinvor
Pioneer

Huron 2
Armenia

May 13 2006

Posted - August 04 2006 :  06:12:21 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
I went to visit my sister and showed her The movie, she's never seen it before. Of course i started asking her all about her impressions. She loved the movie too (plus one fan) and her opinion was that Alice did fancy Uncas.

Well i agree with Lady that she probably was so shocked and frightened that didnt even have the time to think it over. But still i, too, enjoyed this part of the story and i am sure it would be a great loss if that secondary romantic subplot hadn't taken place at all

raindrops
Colonial Settler

United Kingdom

March 25 2006

Posted - August 04 2006 :  3:36:23 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
I am also inclined to believe that Alice was romantically interested in Uncas.. After all - who could resist him? Fancing a guy like him is the easiest and most natural thing a girl can do! I know, I know - she was in a fragile state and everything - I understand. My mind says "maybe she didn't love him after all" but my heart says "oooooh yes, she did!!".

zinvor
Pioneer

Huron 2
Armenia

May 13 2006

Posted - August 05 2006 :  2:08:22 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by raindrops

I am also inclined to believe that Alice was romantically interested in Uncas.. After all - who could resist him? Fancing a guy like him is the easiest and most natural thing a girl can do! I know, I know - she was in a fragile state and everything - I understand. My mind says "maybe she didn't love him after all" but my heart says "oooooh yes, she did!!".

At least that's what WE would do if it happened to us

raindrops
Colonial Settler

United Kingdom

March 25 2006

Posted - August 05 2006 :  2:53:30 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
Yeah, that's what I meant, zinvor! Just CANNOT believe someone could get so close to Uncas and remain indifferent..

Irishgirl
Council of Elders

Irish Girl Avatar
USA

February 14 2006

Donating Member

Posted - August 06 2006 :  12:33:06 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
Alice definitely had the "hots" for Uncas, what girl wouldn't but I doubt she was "in love" with him. Still it is all left up to the imagination of us, the viewers to make up our own minds. I am in "love and lust" with him if anyone cares to know.

IG

Lurking Huron8428
Anonymous Guest

November 27 2002

Posted - August 07 2006 :  03:26:04 AM  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
quote:

Alice definitely had the "hots" for Uncas, what girl wouldn't but I doubt she was "in love" with him. Still it is all left up to the imagination of us, the viewers to make up our own minds. I am in "love and lust" with him if anyone cares to know.

Bwahahaha! I think there are quite a few who would say the same :-)

Lady of Glencairn
Colonial Settler

Prison Break - Sara Tancredi
South Africa

May 29 2004

Posted - August 07 2006 :  03:37:44 AM  Show Profile  Visit Lady of Glencairn's Homepage  Click to see Lady of Glencairn's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by Lurking Huron8428

quote:

Bwahahaha! I think there are quite a few who would say the same :-)

An crap! This was actually me ... forgot to log on!

Lady of Glencairn
"Love is the triumph of imagination over intelligence" - H.L. Mencken

Lurking Huron2962
Anonymous Guest

November 27 2002

Posted - August 08 2006 :  01:33:53 AM  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
I can't remember the website where I read this, but there is an interview with Eric Schweig and he described the love scene that was filmed as "puppy love", just kissing and stuff. He said it WAS not a sex scene. And he thought that it should've been added in. Also an interview with Wes Studi is on the same site, and he says that there was a romance between Alice and Uncas.

Wilderness Woman
Watcher of the Wood

Young George Washington
USA

November 27 2002

Donating Member

Posted - August 08 2006 :  12:20:27 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
Er..... it sounds to me like the website you are describing is this very one. If you go to the home page of the website and scroll down, you will see a link that says "Cast Member Interviews."

"It is more deeply stirring to my blood than any imaginings could possibly have been."

Lurking Huron2962
Anonymous Guest

November 27 2002

Posted - August 09 2006 :  05:49:10 AM  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
So far my take on the Alice/Uncas storyline (after watching the movie a zillion times and reading everything on this site) I believe that Uncas truely loved Alice and would (obviously) give his life for her. I also believe that Alice cared for uncas, I'm not truely convinced that she was totally in Love with him though. But then again, they really didn't show much between them, maybe my opinion on that would be different if I had seen the love scene. But say they didn't die and he did save her, I don't believe that it would have worked b/c Alice was too "English". M. Stowe's interview described her as unwilling to change or accept the frontier life as Cora had. Just my opinion. I still love the story of these 2 and love Uncas PS I wish they were able to interview Jodhi May and get her input, maybe that would clear it up a little ... :)

zinvor
Pioneer

Huron 2
Armenia

May 13 2006

Posted - August 10 2006 :  03:44:14 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
I, too, have no doubt Uncas loved Alice and it shows by the way he looks at her, hugs her under the falls and OF COURSE tried to save her. And i think she understood everything at the cliffs if not earlier. Probably she didn't really love him but i'm sure she at least appreciated his feelings. I agree she was unwilling to accept the frontier life as Cora had but if Uncas hadn't died and she hadn't jumped she probably had A LOT of things to think over. And who knows what she'd finally choose?

And i like the idea of interviewing Jodhi May, I'd like to know what her personal opinion of this matter is

Light of the Moon
Mohicanland Statesman

Car in Fog
USA

December 18 2004

Posted - August 18 2006 :  11:44:33 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by nekutmeqwanoc

i cant find out how to change my profile!

Hey, Nekutmeqwanoc I love your avatar!
What does your name mean anyway?
And what origin is it?

I live in my own little world - but that's okay, they know me here!

Light of the Moon
Mohicanland Statesman

Car in Fog
USA

December 18 2004

Posted - August 18 2006 :  11:47:30 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by Dark Woods

Hey DW, regarding the whole Alexandra and Alice concept...I'd like to know what are you drinking and where can I get it?

I live in my own little world - but that's okay, they know me here!

Lurking Huron6170
Anonymous Guest

November 27 2002

Posted - August 22 2006 :  01:32:08 AM  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
Seriously i think that Mr. mann should have elaborated more on the uncas/alice relationship... right now, i think that they are a bit shunned.. as in chucked to the side... then for the sake of the book mr mann suddenly kills off uncas and alice follows... if nathanial died and cora jumped off i would have understood... buit the uncas/alice relationship is super unexplained... i certainly want mr mann to include the deleted scenes of their romance...

Lurking Huron7999
Anonymous Guest

November 27 2002

Posted - August 22 2006 :  02:00:06 AM  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
Forget about the movie... read the book it's better''

Lurking Huron2661
Anonymous Guest

November 27 2002

Posted - August 22 2006 :  07:21:11 AM  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply

no... i think the movie is better. The movie is definietly better. its a whole lot more exciting and hair-raising than the book.
Page: of 5 Previous Topic: Alices braided hair... Topic Next Topic: why did duncan choose to die?  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
| More
Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Jump To:

Around The Site:
~ What's New? ~
Pathfinding | Mohican Gatherings | Mohican Musings | LOTM Script | History | Musical Musings | Storefronts on the Frontier
Off the Beaten Trail | Links
Of Special Interest:
The Eric Schweig Gallery | From the Ramparts | The Listening Room | Against All Odds | The Video Clips Index

DISCLAIMER
Tune, 40, used by permission - composed by Ron Clarke

Custom Search

The Mohican Board! [Bumppo's Redux!] © 1997-2024 - Mohican Press Go To Top Of Page
Current Mohicanland page raised in 0.41 seconds Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.07