The Mohican Board! [Bumppo's Redux!]
The Mohican Board! [Bumppo's Redux!]
10/10/2024 9:20:18 AM
On the Trail...Home | Old Mohican Board Archives | Purpose
Events | Polls | Photos | Classifieds | Downloads
Profile | Register | Members | Private Messages
Search | Posting Tips | FAQ | Web Links | Mohican Chat | Blogs
Forum Bookmarks | Unanswered Posts | Preview Topic Photos | Active Topics
Invite a Friend to the Mohican Board | Guestbook | Greeting Cards | Auction (0) | Colonial Recipe Book
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 LAST OF THE MOHICANS
 The Last of the Mohicans ...
 Alices braided hair...
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
| More
Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic

Author Previous Topic: what do you think of the book last of the mohicans? Topic Next Topic: Uncas and Alice:  A Contrary Opinion  

angicx
Pathfinder

Gothic Girl 2
USA

Bumppo's Patron since [at least]:
August 21 2007

Posted - August 22 2007 :  03:57:40 AM  Show Profile  Visit angicx's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Hello all! I'm new here and actually sought out this site to talk about this subject with others that love the movie, and although I've only been browsing the site for a few hours, I can't believe I haven't seen this mentioned anywhere else. The following is a quote from a longer post I made in the Alice/Uncas romance thread. After several hours of reading and posting, I'm just gonna copy it here and you can go read the original post if you want to, but this is the gist of it. Please tell me that someone else knows what I'm talking about!!! Pretty please

This is referring to a portion of the waterfall scene, and I'm talking about things I've noticed regarding the progression of their subtle romance...
quote:
Then you have the waterfall scene in the cave, where she's apparently mesmerized by the water and it looks as if she is going to walk out over the cliff, and then Uncas pulls her back and down onto the ground with him, where he holds her close, his hand holding her head fiercely against his chest (with more emotion than if he was just playing hero to some girl) and the scene kinda plays out in a surreal slow-mo... I think as a way of trying to make it obvious in a subtle way (does that make sense :) that something notable is happening. Now this next thing is what I've yet to ever see anyone point out but me. If you'll notice, in every scene after that... there's a braid running down one side of Alice's hair. He braided her hair!!! The movie just doesn't show it! It couldn't have been Cora, she was with Hawkeye... and Alice wouldn't have done it herself, obviously being traumatized and close to what looks to me to be shock... it could have only been Uncas in an unseen moment of comforting tenderness... I remember backing the movie up and watching again... Sure enough, the scene right before, there was no braid. No man would make that kind of gesture unless there were deep feelings involved. I've always thought this was one of the most romantic things I'd ever seen, movie, or not.

Has anyone else ever noticed the braid and it's significance?

Thx in advance
angi
report to moderator

Wilderness Woman
Watcher of the Wood

Young George Washington
USA

November 27 2002

Donating Member

Posted - August 22 2007 :  07:12:18 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
First off... welcome to Mohicanland!

Actually, though I have no idea where it is, Alice's braid has been discussed before. So you are definitely not the first to notice it. Did you try doing a search on "braid"? You may be able to find it that way. Rich may have archived that thread by now, but you can still search for it, I believe.

"It is more deeply stirring to my blood than any imaginings could possibly have been."
report to moderator Go to Top of Page

angicx
Pathfinder

Gothic Girl 2
USA

August 21 2007

Posted - August 22 2007 :  2:36:58 PM  Show Profile  Visit angicx's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
Thank you so much for the reply and advice, it was very helpful... I did search "braid" and have found several references to it along with some older, interesting threads I'm enjoying reading. While I didn't think I could be the only one to notice the braid, I'm happy to finally be able to see some other opinions about it.
Pleased to meet you and thx again!

Angi

Note: BTW, sorry for jumping the gun and reposting this subject... I hadn't done enough searching before I started asking questions.
Oops, my bad!

RedFraggle
Mohicanite

Redhead

October 13 2006

Posted - August 22 2007 :  7:05:47 PM  Show Profile  Visit RedFraggle's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
Angi---

There's a lot of "braid" discussion on the IMDB boards too. You might want to check it out. One forum is called "I don't understand Uncas/Alice...? Please help!" and there are some other Uncas/Alice threads too. Worth checking out if you have an IMDB username and password. If you haven't used the IMDB boards before, just beware that people there often aren't as kind as our fellow Mohicanlanders!

Welcome to the site, and happy posting!

Irishgirl
Council of Elders

Irish Girl Avatar
USA

February 14 2006

Donating Member

Posted - August 22 2007 :  7:24:29 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
No kidding Red, they are monsters over there, well some of them. I posted a question and got so many rude replies of people calling me a troll. This board is great as Rich does not put up with any nonsense and bad behaviour like that. Any hint of it and the person is warned and if they continue then they are gone. Rich runs a great board but it also helps that WE the Members are all so nice..........

IG

blackfootblood
Devoted Tribal Member

homecoming
USA

May 22 2007

Donating Member

Posted - August 22 2007 :  7:42:47 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
I have to agree with ya, Irish. There are some boards that I have visited in the past and the people are down right mean. I want no part in something that awful. You get onto boards to have fun and relax, not create enemies. LOTM board rocks!

"Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass, it's about learning to dance in the rain!"

"Live well, love much, laugh often!"

RedFraggle
Mohicanite

Redhead

October 13 2006

Posted - August 22 2007 :  8:26:14 PM  Show Profile  Visit RedFraggle's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
Have you ever taken a look at some of the boards for actresses? I went to the IMDB boards on Jodhi May, of all people, and they are absolutely filled with comments about how great certain parts of her body are and what male users want to do to her. Same thing with the boards on Madeleine Stowe. People shouldn't post that kind of stuff on a site that anyone and everyone has access to, in my opinion.

Sorry, didn't mean to hijack the topic! Back to Alice's braid....

Irishgirl
Council of Elders

Irish Girl Avatar
USA

February 14 2006

Donating Member

Posted - August 23 2007 :  11:13:35 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
True Red. I know we get a "tad" carried away talking about Uncas but we are not "that bad". Well Obi probably thinks we are...

IG

Obediah
Mohicanland Statesman

Skull 5
USA

August 16 2006

Donating Member

Posted - August 23 2007 :  10:00:49 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply

Irishgirl
Council of Elders

Irish Girl Avatar
USA

February 14 2006

Donating Member

Posted - August 24 2007 :  12:17:34 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
See what I mean.

IG

angicx
Pathfinder

Gothic Girl 2
USA

August 21 2007

Posted - August 24 2007 :  5:42:29 PM  Show Profile  Visit angicx's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
Hmmmm, IMDB? What does that stand for? Sorry if it's obvious, I can be slightly dense sometimes... regardless, if it's like that, I probably wouldn't visit. I've found alot of info and ppl with different outlooks on the subject here, and it's prob the same there, except, like you said, not as civilized, which would make me angry for no reason. I'm pregnant so... might not be a good idea.
Thx for helping!
Angi

blackfootblood
Devoted Tribal Member

homecoming
USA

May 22 2007

Donating Member

Posted - August 24 2007 :  9:52:02 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
Hey angicx, IMDB stands for Internet Movie Database. www.imdb.com It comes in handy for the movie thread!

"Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass, it's about learning to dance in the rain!"

"Live well, love much, laugh often!"

Light of the Moon
Mohicanland Statesman

Car in Fog
USA

December 18 2004

Posted - August 24 2007 :  10:39:29 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
That site always crashes my system! I hate it!

As for the braid, I am still of the imaginging that Uncas put it in her hair while they cuddled under the falls. If only it were me....

I live in my own little world - but that's okay, they know me here!
  Previous Topic: what do you think of the book last of the mohicans? Topic Next Topic: Uncas and Alice:  A Contrary Opinion  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
| More
Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Jump To:

Around The Site:
~ What's New? ~
Pathfinding | Mohican Gatherings | Mohican Musings | LOTM Script | History | Musical Musings | Storefronts on the Frontier
Off the Beaten Trail | Links
Of Special Interest:
The Eric Schweig Gallery | From the Ramparts | The Listening Room | Against All Odds | The Video Clips Index

DISCLAIMER
Tune, 40, used by permission - composed by Ron Clarke

Custom Search

The Mohican Board! [Bumppo's Redux!] © 1997-2024 - Mohican Press Go To Top Of Page
Current Mohicanland page raised in 0.42 seconds Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.07