The Mohican Board! [Bumppo's Redux!]
The Mohican Board! [Bumppo's Redux!]
10/10/2024 1:27:54 PM
On the Trail...Home | Old Mohican Board Archives | Purpose
Events | Polls | Photos | Classifieds | Downloads
Profile | Register | Members | Private Messages
Search | Posting Tips | FAQ | Web Links | Mohican Chat | Blogs
Forum Bookmarks | Unanswered Posts | Preview Topic Photos | Active Topics
Invite a Friend to the Mohican Board | Guestbook | Greeting Cards | Auction (0) | Colonial Recipe Book
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 LAST OF THE MOHICANS
 The Last of the Mohicans ...
 Uncas and Alice: A Contrary Opinion
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
| More
Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Previous Page | Next Page

Author Previous Topic: Alices braided hair... Topic Next Topic: why did duncan choose to die?
Page: of 5

zinvor
Pioneer

Huron 2
Armenia

Bumppo's Patron since [at least]:
May 13 2006

Posted - June 21 2006 :  06:44:51 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by Dark Woods

I think that Alice appeared to Uncas as the daughter that he and Alexandra might have had together. Or perhaps he viewed her as a younger sister to Alexandra, and thus a "sister" to him.

I think Uncas was too young to look at Alice as his daughter. More likely he appeared to Alexandra as the younger brother (if she didn't have something more on her mind of course).
report to moderator Go to Top of Page

raindrops
Colonial Settler

United Kingdom

March 25 2006

Posted - June 21 2006 :  9:04:08 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by Irishgirl

I agree with what you say MG but we want the release of a DVD with all the footage on it that was ever shot. Simple as that.

I believe that we well and truly deserve to see the scenes which were originally part of the film and are crucial for our understanding of the storyline!

If they cannot be included in the film, they should at least be made available in special features on DVD as it has been done with many other films out there.

LeyLana1462
Colonial Settler

Saxon
Australia

April 03 2006

Posted - June 22 2006 :  09:57:47 AM  Show Profile  Visit LeyLana1462's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by Wilderness Woman

Why Miss Bookworm! You are really ready to stand in front of the firing squad, aren't you? Got your blindfold on? 'Cause I hear the muskets being primed and loaded!

To answer your very brave question... Yes. I'm here. And I will join you in front of the firing squad any day. And just before the muskets are fired, I will say yet again: "There was no romance. Uncas was in love with Alice. Alice was not in love with Uncas."

Now................DUCK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

[Rich, where's the smiley aiming a musket at an innocent person?]

You crack me up WW. Now, where DID I put that musket????

You were right to warm bookworm tho! hee hee

I've only just returned and to come in and see this OMG Shock! and Horror! Nothing for we Uncas/Alice fans to think about.......oh the pain, the pain

They are all there, but one.
I, Chingachgook, Last of the Mohicans.

Monadnock Guide
Council of Elders

USA

March 14 2005

Posted - June 22 2006 :  11:58:52 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
With all due respect raindrops, - you're not entitled or deserve to see something "just because you want to". There are many "business costs" involved, and putting out a release for a handful of folks isn't likley to be profitable. After all is said and done, - making a buck is really what this film is about. ... ;)

you can keep "The Change"

MeggieD
Colonial Settler

Megs Avatar
USA

January 23 2006

Posted - June 22 2006 :  12:18:37 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
This is all true MG, but in my opinion a 15th anniversary Deluxe Director's Edition with a number of critical deleted scenes would sell enough to be profitable....how many of us on this board alone have the VHS, the origianl DVD, soundtracks and would STILL buy a copy if deleted scenes were included...I say it be very profitable....

Uncas: "some food"

Wilderness Woman
Watcher of the Wood

Young George Washington
USA

November 27 2002

Donating Member

Posted - June 22 2006 :  12:28:03 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by Dark Woods

Anyway, from my perspective the key to the Uncas/Alice "relationship" rests with Alexandra Cameron.

I will agree with this statement, assuming your choice of the word "relationship" means that Uncas was interested in Alice but she did not reciprocate.

However, I do not agree with your next statement:

quote:
I believe that Uncas and Alexandra were in love with each other, but kept that secret from the others. Uncas is quite affected by her death.

I do not think that Uncas and Alexandra were in love. I think that Uncas admired Alexandra, for both her friendship and for her beauty. Respect, admiration, yes. There may have even been a little bit of "oh, I wish she were mine" there. But love between the two of them? I saw none. He was quite affected by her death, because she was a good friend.

quote:
I think that Alice appeared to Uncas as the daughter that he and Alexandra might have had together. Or perhaps he viewed her as a younger sister to Alexandra, and thus a "sister" to him.

Oh dear, no. Surely not a daughter. Uncas was not very many years older than Alice. Sister? I don't think so. Not from the way he looked at her in the River Walk scene. I think he saw her as beautiful, much as he saw the beauty in Alexandra as a person... not just as a woman.

I am really quite glad that Mann did take out the supposed "love scene" between Uncas and Alice under the waterfall. I think it would have been highly inappropriate to the story. How much better it is this way, with Uncas's unrequited love becoming quite literally the death of him.

[WW hikes up her petticoats and runs swiftly to the nearest tree for cover.]

"It is more deeply stirring to my blood than any imaginings could possibly have been."

MeggieD
Colonial Settler

Megs Avatar
USA

January 23 2006

Posted - June 22 2006 :  12:39:32 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
WW I agree with you...while my curiosity forces me to want to see the deleted scene I think it was a wise decision to delete it...it's much more bittersweet the way it is...it affects the viewer much more as an unrequited love....

Irishgirl
Council of Elders

Irish Girl Avatar
USA

February 14 2006

Donating Member

Posted - June 22 2006 :  1:51:50 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
I disagree WW and Meg(shocked to hear you say this). I never understood why Uncas was so ready to sacrifice his own life for a girl he had barely even spoken to. This scene would have explained why he did the foolish death run up the cliffside at he end to try and save Alice. I only understood this when I heard about the deleted scene where they had shown a connection between Uncas/Alice. That made it all clear to me.

IG

Wilderness Woman
Watcher of the Wood

Young George Washington
USA

November 27 2002

Donating Member

Posted - June 22 2006 :  2:03:15 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by Irishgirl
I never understood why Uncas was so ready to sacrifice his own life for a girl he had barely even spoken to.

You've never heard of "Love at First Sight?" It happens.

"It is more deeply stirring to my blood than any imaginings could possibly have been."

MeggieD
Colonial Settler

Megs Avatar
USA

January 23 2006

Posted - June 22 2006 :  2:08:06 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
sorry Irish.....I said I wanted to see it anyway, didn't I????? Climb down offa me, woman...heeheehee

Irishgirl
Council of Elders

Irish Girl Avatar
USA

February 14 2006

Donating Member

Posted - June 22 2006 :  2:08:13 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
Really no kiddin'.

IG

MeggieD
Colonial Settler

Megs Avatar
USA

January 23 2006

Posted - June 22 2006 :  2:11:25 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
No, really, it leaves it up to the viewers imagination whether they had feelings for each other, or just him having feelings for her...sniff sniff

Irishgirl
Council of Elders

Irish Girl Avatar
USA

February 14 2006

Donating Member

Posted - June 22 2006 :  2:20:16 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
Well I did not get it the first few times I saw it. Guess I must be "Dumb" then. It went way above my head. Wheee there it goes....... That scene would have shown us "slow" people that something was going on between Uncas and Alice. Men, in particular may have had a hard time understanding Uncas's foolish death run up the cliffs too for Alice a girl he barely knew. Don't mean to offend any guys out there so please don't jump all over me.

IG

nekutmeqwanoc
Pathfinder

Fascism
USA

June 10 2006

Posted - June 22 2006 :  2:33:36 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
i saw it the first time i watched it when i was 12 years old.i dint see anything between alex and uncas rather than common respect and friendship.it seemed alice and uncas were the same age and had a little flirtation going between them.but who cares.we all have an opinion.still for those of you who have read the book,what does the book say really happened?

MeggieD
Colonial Settler

Megs Avatar
USA

January 23 2006

Posted - June 22 2006 :  2:42:18 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
You're not dumb, silly....you've got great taste in men.....and in on-line friends....heehee

Fitzhugh Williams
Mohicanland Statesman

July 17 2005

Posted - June 22 2006 :  3:50:21 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
quote:

I agree, but Uncas hadn't been drinking.

"Les deux pieds contre la muraille et la tete sous le robinet"

MeggieD
Colonial Settler

Megs Avatar
USA

January 23 2006

Posted - June 22 2006 :  4:26:37 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
this is true, but judging from the pics from the bar, Eric was.....

Monadnock Guide
Council of Elders

USA

March 14 2005

Posted - June 22 2006 :  5:05:52 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
It's rather simple, - "Damsel in Distress" = possie charges to her rescue! After all, - being historically correct, no cars available for a chase scene. The young Mohican had to go, else there may not be any "Last Of The Mohicans", leaving the older one to wander the woods for awhile.

you can keep "The Change"

raindrops
Colonial Settler

United Kingdom

March 25 2006

Posted - June 22 2006 :  7:14:22 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by Monadnock Guide

With all due respect raindrops, - you're not entitled or deserve to see something "just because you want to".

With all due respect MG - no need to speak to me as if I was a child. I said it jokingly.

Irishgirl
Council of Elders

Irish Girl Avatar
USA

February 14 2006

Donating Member

Posted - June 22 2006 :  7:25:09 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by Fitzhugh Williams

quote:

I agree, but Uncas hadn't been drinking.

Good one.

IG

Irishgirl
Council of Elders

Irish Girl Avatar
USA

February 14 2006

Donating Member

Posted - June 22 2006 :  7:29:06 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by MeggieD

You're not dumb, silly....you've got great taste in men.....and in on-line friends....heehee

Why thank you my dear. I know I do.

IG

Lurking Huron9981
Anonymous Guest

November 27 2002

Posted - June 23 2006 :  02:01:31 AM  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
As for what happened in the book...us movie lovers would be quite surprised. I'll leave it to say that it was actually Uncas and Cora who were flirting...Duncan wanted Alice...and Hawkeye was not a romantic character at all.

Lurking Huron5000
Anonymous Guest

November 27 2002

Posted - June 23 2006 :  10:03:46 AM  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
I'm different from whoever wrote that above of me. I really wish we had more info about the whole Uncas/Alice love thing before the plunge to the death ordeal. As much as I love Uncas, I must say though that his death scene at the end was rather emotional and affecting, good for hitting a soft spot in audiences. But I wish their love hadn't gone unrequited because of the way Uncas looked at and handled Alice, he deserved to be with her for a LONG TIME!!

UNCAS MUST LIVE!!!

oxUncasLuvrxo

cuthron
Pathfinder

Huron
Finland

July 27 2005

Posted - June 23 2006 :  4:13:27 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
Well this is a one more thing what we could ask mr. Mann. In the book Uncas and Cora died, and if he wanted to do the movie based on the book he had to kill Uncas. And in the book Uncas and Cora died because of their love (or at least Uncas was in love with Cora, otherwise indian warrior would not do such things because of white woman)So from that I think that there was at least something going on with Alice and Uncas.

Harri

Irishgirl
Council of Elders

Irish Girl Avatar
USA

February 14 2006

Donating Member

Posted - June 23 2006 :  5:40:05 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
I have never read the book but I have to wonder why he did not make his movie true to the book. Would it not have been as exciting? I guess there was some kind of romance going on in the book or at least a hint of love. Guess he did not want to pair an Indian Uncas with a white woman Cora but just hinted at the Uncas/Alice thing. Cora seemed better paired up with Nathaniel.

IG
Page: of 5 Previous Topic: Alices braided hair... Topic Next Topic: why did duncan choose to die?  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
| More
Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Jump To:

Around The Site:
~ What's New? ~
Pathfinding | Mohican Gatherings | Mohican Musings | LOTM Script | History | Musical Musings | Storefronts on the Frontier
Off the Beaten Trail | Links
Of Special Interest:
The Eric Schweig Gallery | From the Ramparts | The Listening Room | Against All Odds | The Video Clips Index

DISCLAIMER
Tune, 40, used by permission - composed by Ron Clarke

Custom Search

The Mohican Board! [Bumppo's Redux!] © 1997-2024 - Mohican Press Go To Top Of Page
Current Mohicanland page raised in 0.55 seconds Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.07