The Mohican Board! [Bumppo's Redux!]
The Mohican Board! [Bumppo's Redux!]
10/11/2024 5:23:39 PM
On the Trail...Home | Old Mohican Board Archives | Purpose
Events | Polls | Photos | Classifieds | Downloads
Profile | Register | Members | Private Messages
Search | Posting Tips | FAQ | Web Links | Mohican Chat | Blogs
Forum Bookmarks | Unanswered Posts | Preview Topic Photos | Active Topics
Invite a Friend to the Mohican Board | Guestbook | Greeting Cards | Auction (0) | Colonial Recipe Book
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 LAST OF THE MOHICANS
 The Last of the Mohicans ...
 lotm trivia game
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
| More
Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Previous Page | Next Page

Author Previous Topic: Performances of Daniel Day-Lewis Topic Next Topic: Gathering Fever and LOTM in HD
Page: of 25

Hawkeye_Joe
Colonial Militia

USA

Bumppo's Patron since [at least]:
July 31 2003

Posted - August 19 2007 :  5:02:44 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
With the film being set in 1757 and Joseph Brandt being born in 1742 he would have only been 15 years old. He had not risen to any prominance by that time and could not have owned a 5 mile long field.

HAWK

"The scum of every nation gravitates to the frontier."
Benjamin Franklin 1750

"Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for
lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote."
Benjamin Franklin 1759

The existence of flamethrowers is proof that someone, somewhere, said to himself, "I want to set those people over there on fire, but I don't feel like walking over there to do it."

"Calling an illegal alien an "undocumented immigrant" is like calling a
drug dealer an "unlicensed pharmacist."
report to moderator Go to Top of Page

winglo
Deerslayer

USA

July 13 2007

Donating Member

Posted - August 19 2007 :  7:23:51 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
You got it! I finally got that off my back!! That's such a simple piece of information to find, wouldn't you think that someone--either the writers or Michael Mann would have checked that before writing it into the script?!

My turn's done and you're up, Hawk!

Wilderness Woman
Watcher of the Wood

Young George Washington
USA

November 27 2002

Donating Member

Posted - August 19 2007 :  7:32:37 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by Hawkeye_Joe

...a 5 mile long field.

Not to interrupt your game, here, but I just want to mention one other thing. The point about Joseph Brant's age has been mentioned in some other thread, somewhere, at some point. But has anyone ever really thought about a field being 5 miles long? Can you imagine planting, caring for and harvesting from a field of that incredible size? They do it now in the midwest with huge machines. But back then? No. Sorry. Not possible.

Back to your game...

"It is more deeply stirring to my blood than any imaginings could possibly have been."

winglo
Deerslayer

USA

July 13 2007

Donating Member

Posted - August 19 2007 :  7:48:28 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
You're right. I don't even think all the Mohawks from a village could have farmed a field that size without machinery. Looks like they messed this scene up in several ways.

And what about. . .why does Uncas say "5 mile long" and not "5 miles long"? It's not like he doesn't speak good English.
Or maybe I just don't know enough about the way people spoke of distance in the 18th century.

Fitzhugh Williams
Mohicanland Statesman

July 17 2005

Posted - August 19 2007 :  11:36:52 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
I have always heard people say "It's about 5 mile down the road" or "it's about 2 foot deep".

"Les deux pieds contre la muraille et la tete sous le robinet"

Wilderness Woman
Watcher of the Wood

Young George Washington
USA

November 27 2002

Donating Member

Posted - August 20 2007 :  10:21:53 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
Yes, I have too. It's a rural type of thing, I think.

Now... here is another question (not trivia): would they have been using our system of measurement? Would he have really said "mile"? Or were we on the metric system? What should Uncas really have said?

"It is more deeply stirring to my blood than any imaginings could possibly have been."

Fitzhugh Williams
Mohicanland Statesman

July 17 2005

Posted - August 20 2007 :  10:46:37 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
The whole metric thing came out of the French Revolution of the 1790's. New systems of measure, new calendar, new numbering of the years. I have a sword called a model AN XI which translates to 1802-1803 (the Republican year did not start on Jan. 1). In my French class I used to use the Republican months much to the displeasure of the teacher.

"Les deux pieds contre la muraille et la tete sous le robinet"

Hawkeye_Joe
Colonial Militia

USA

July 31 2003

Posted - August 20 2007 :  12:27:44 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
Yes he would have used "mile" Fitz is right. 18th Century distance markers that are still in existance today are carved with how many "miles" it is to where ever.....

HAWK

Benjamin Franklin 1750

Benjamin Franklin 1759

The existence of flamethrowers is proof that someone, somewhere, said to himself, "I want to set those people over there on fire, but I don't feel like walking over there to do it."

Wilderness Woman
Watcher of the Wood

Young George Washington
USA

November 27 2002

Donating Member

Posted - August 20 2007 :  12:49:27 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
Ah. OK. I really wasn't sure...

winglo
Deerslayer

USA

July 13 2007

Donating Member

Posted - August 20 2007 :  4:46:09 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by Fitzhugh Williams

I have always heard people say "It's about 5 mile down the road" or "it's about 2 foot deep".

Thanks for the info. I have never heard that. I have always lived in the suburbs, so I guess I'm really out of the loop. It always bugged me when Uncas said that, so I'm glad I'm now enlightened. But, we do have some of those 18th century mile markers in the center of town!

Now that we have gotten totally off the game. . .Hawk, do you have a trivia question for us?

RedFraggle
Mohicanite

Redhead

October 13 2006

Posted - August 21 2007 :  08:29:55 AM  Show Profile  Visit RedFraggle's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by Wilderness Woman

. . . has anyone ever really thought about a field being 5 miles long? Can you imagine planting, caring for and harvesting from a field of that incredible size? They do it now in the midwest with huge machines. But back then? No. Sorry. Not possible.

Hmmm. I've never really thought about that before. Just didn't occur to me when watching the movie. But now that you mention it, it does seem awfully inaccurate. Poor Joseph Brant would've had a heck of a time with all that space!

And I completey agree that expressions like "two foot deep" are "a rural thing." My family's mostly made up of Arkansas and Texas farmers, and they regularly use phrases like, "Bout two mile, as the crow flies" (which is, incidentally, a lot longer than two actual miles).

Irishgirl
Council of Elders

Irish Girl Avatar
USA

February 14 2006

Donating Member

Posted - August 26 2007 :  5:51:38 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
Hawkeye Joe I believe you're in the "hot-seat" once again. Got a question for us?

IG

Hawkeye_Joe
Colonial Militia

USA

July 31 2003

Posted - August 26 2007 :  6:15:41 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
I've been thinking of something that hasn't been covered in the last 21 pages......I'll see if I can watch the movie again soon and see what I can come up with.

HAWK

Benjamin Franklin 1750

Benjamin Franklin 1759

Irishgirl
Council of Elders

Irish Girl Avatar
USA

February 14 2006

Donating Member

Posted - August 26 2007 :  10:21:07 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
Yeah I know it is pretty hard to find a question that has not been covered already to some degree. Good luck with your hunt. I know you will find something eventually. Your questions have been pretty good ones so far.

IG

Light of the Moon
Mohicanland Statesman

Car in Fog
USA

December 18 2004

Posted - August 29 2007 :  09:55:19 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
Now you know why I stay out of here!

I live in my own little world - but that's okay, they know me here!

Irishgirl
Council of Elders

Irish Girl Avatar
USA

February 14 2006

Donating Member

Posted - August 29 2007 :  10:42:25 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
Yeah we all make the mistake of answering a question and then the sudden realization that we have to come up with a new question. Oh the horror.

IG

Light of the Moon
Mohicanland Statesman

Car in Fog
USA

December 18 2004

Posted - August 29 2007 :  12:05:53 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
I hate it when you know the answer, you know not to answer but you can't resist it!

Light of the Moon
Mohicanland Statesman

Car in Fog
USA

December 18 2004

Posted - August 29 2007 :  2:41:15 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
I do it all the time in here. In fact it seems that it has become uncontrollable at times to keep silent!!!

I know everyone in this thread can relate!

Light of the Moon
Mohicanland Statesman

Car in Fog
USA

December 18 2004

Posted - August 30 2007 :  2:55:54 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
Just ignore me.

Irishgirl
Council of Elders

Irish Girl Avatar
USA

February 14 2006

Donating Member

Posted - August 30 2007 :  6:28:19 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
Hey you know I am just pullin' your leg right? We all miss your posts girlfriend so don't get mad okay...just get even. Sorry friend. Please come back.

IG

Light of the Moon
Mohicanland Statesman

Car in Fog
USA

December 18 2004

Posted - August 30 2007 :  9:46:05 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
Sorry, had to cool down a bit. I'm not going to stop posting just had a moment.

Irishgirl
Council of Elders

Irish Girl Avatar
USA

February 14 2006

Donating Member

Posted - August 30 2007 :  10:23:49 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
Glad to hear that Light. Post your little heart out okay........

IG

Light of the Moon
Mohicanland Statesman

Car in Fog
USA

December 18 2004

Posted - August 31 2007 :  11:23:22 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
So what's the next question????

Obediah
Mohicanland Statesman

Skull 5
USA

August 16 2006

Donating Member

Posted - August 31 2007 :  11:28:37 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by Irishgirl

Yeah I know it is pretty hard to find a question that has not been covered already to some degree. ...

That's one of the reasons I started the Movie Game.

Hawkeye_Joe
Colonial Militia

USA

July 31 2003

Posted - August 31 2007 :  12:03:49 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
Why is that the footprint at the Cameron's burned cabin could NOT have been Ottawa?

HAWK

Benjamin Franklin 1750

Benjamin Franklin 1759

Page: of 25 Previous Topic: Performances of Daniel Day-Lewis Topic Next Topic: Gathering Fever and LOTM in HD  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
| More
Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Jump To:

Around The Site:
~ What's New? ~
Pathfinding | Mohican Gatherings | Mohican Musings | LOTM Script | History | Musical Musings | Storefronts on the Frontier
Off the Beaten Trail | Links
Of Special Interest:
The Eric Schweig Gallery | From the Ramparts | The Listening Room | Against All Odds | The Video Clips Index

DISCLAIMER
Tune, 40, used by permission - composed by Ron Clarke

Custom Search

The Mohican Board! [Bumppo's Redux!] © 1997-2024 - Mohican Press Go To Top Of Page
Current Mohicanland page raised in 0.5 seconds Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.07