The Mohican Board! [Bumppo's Redux!]
The Mohican Board! [Bumppo's Redux!]
10/10/2024 11:30:20 PM
On the Trail...Home | Old Mohican Board Archives | Purpose
Events | Polls | Photos | Classifieds | Downloads
Profile | Register | Members | Private Messages
Search | Posting Tips | FAQ | Web Links | Mohican Chat | Blogs
Forum Bookmarks | Unanswered Posts | Preview Topic Photos | Active Topics
Invite a Friend to the Mohican Board | Guestbook | Greeting Cards | Auction (0) | Colonial Recipe Book
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 LAST OF THE MOHICANS
 The Last of the Mohicans ...
 lotm trivia game
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
| More
Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Previous Page | Next Page

Author Previous Topic: Performances of Daniel Day-Lewis Topic Next Topic: Gathering Fever and LOTM in HD
Page: of 25

RedFraggle
Mohicanite

Redhead

Bumppo's Patron since [at least]:
October 13 2006

Posted - February 06 2007 :  8:46:08 PM  Show Profile  Visit RedFraggle's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by Irishgirl

Hey Red what kind of teacher are you anyway??? Imagine that watching LOTM while grading papers. Some doll you are missy. Wonder do your students know you are obsessed with this movie. Seriously though I bet you are great with your students and grading those papers.

Hee hee. There was definitely more watching than grading going on!

LOTM is soooo much more interesting than correcting translations of Caesar's Civil War. So there you have it. I teach Latin. One course a semester at the university level while I finish my graduate degree.

But ssshhh! My students don't know about my LOTM obsession. They DO know I love HBO's Rome, though!
report to moderator Go to Top of Page

paazau
Colonial Settler

Australia

March 11 2006

Posted - February 06 2007 :  11:49:50 PM  Show Profile  Send paazau a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
LOL IG. No, mare is incorrect. (and btw that's exactly what I did to confirm the answer!)

Excellent use of your multi-tasking skills Red! My sister's a teacher, and she multi-tasks by doing schoolwork online and talking to me on msn. As I said in that other thread, we have to take our fun where and when we can get it! Ewww, Latin!! Hats off to you Red. I couldn't read, write, or speak it to save my soul. Hmmm, do I smell a blackmail opportunity there.... How much is our silence worth to you You have to slo-mo it Red. When the horse falls over, I figured you'd be able to tell - that's what I had to check out last night.

And last but definitely not least-----------------

Light is correct. The horse is a gelding.

Well, you guys made short work of that!!!

So, Light.... you're back in the hotseat. What ya got for us???

"You do not know what you're saying girl!"
"Yes I do, I know exactly what I am saying, and if it is sedition, then I am guilty of sedition too!"

Irishgirl
Council of Elders

Irish Girl Avatar
USA

February 14 2006

Donating Member

Posted - February 07 2007 :  09:28:58 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
Light is no stranger when it comes to looking in those places...haha No wonder she got it right.

IG

Light of the Moon
Mohicanland Statesman

Car in Fog
USA

December 18 2004

Posted - February 08 2007 :  09:46:50 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
Being a girl from the horse capital of the U.S. (KENTUCKY) I'd better know horses. My favorite is a bay holstein. German descent. They are very mild mannered and are big cuddly babies (yes, horses can be cuddly). They're also very stong and will do just about anything for you so long as you praise them and show them kindness. Good for riding.
My other fav. is the Arabian - a desert horse. And as everyone knows they are extremely fast and they don't tire easily. They are rather small compared to other riding horses so the rider needs to be light. In fact, the american thouroughbred wouldn't exist without them - thouroughbreds are a crossbreed that started in Europe.

If you want a good hunting horse then you'll want a Trekehner. German bred, good and very brave.
I even like those 2,500 lbs Clydesdales - good stock horses. They too are very cuddly, when they want to be, otherwise they're likely to run off with ya' and they know there ain't a thing you can do to stop them. So don't piss them off!!!
And then there's Appaloosa's. Native to America. That's right, Native Americans did have horses only not in the east. The blackfoot, shonshone, camanche, and Apache (in the western areas) had them and used them for all kinds of things. Some of the warriors and hunters would spend time alone with them in the wilderness so they could develope a thourough understanding of each other. In fact the horses would alert their humans (and horses do see you this way) to danger and only the owner would understand it. Pretty cool.

Anyway...way off topic...as far as the next question I too will have to watch LOTM again to get one...I'll be back on this one.

I live in my own little world - but that's okay, they know me here!

RedFraggle
Mohicanite

Redhead

October 13 2006

Posted - February 08 2007 :  1:14:54 PM  Show Profile  Visit RedFraggle's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by paazau

Hmmm, do I smell a blackmail opportunity there.... How much is our silence worth to you

I'm afraid that, as a graduate student, I don't have much silver. Would you consider payment in wampum and brandy?

paazau
Colonial Settler

Australia

March 11 2006

Posted - February 09 2007 :  01:25:32 AM  Show Profile  Send paazau a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
Wow Light! Sounds like you and I should have an offline discussion of horses. One of my daughters has an anglo-arab and i l-o-o-o-v-e appaloosas and paints. they're so gorgeous! Do you have any of your own horses? Here's some photos of the anglo-arab - and yes, he has some spots on his coat, which we think make him even more beautiful.
Image Insert:

69.87 KB
Image Insert:

80.54 KB

Sorry, I'm worse than a grandma with grandbaby photos... (of which there are none btw!!)

Anxiously awaiting your question...

"Yes I do, I know exactly what I am saying, and if it is sedition, then I am guilty of sedition too!"

paazau
Colonial Settler

Australia

March 11 2006

Posted - February 09 2007 :  01:27:51 AM  Show Profile  Send paazau a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply

Definitely Red!! Less wampum and more brandy please!!!

caitlin
Bumppos Tavern Patron

MMBrand
USA

May 17 2002

Donating Member

Posted - February 09 2007 :  7:25:59 PM  Show Profile  Visit caitlin's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by RedFraggle

quote:

Hey Red what kind of teacher are you anyway??? Imagine that watching LOTM while grading papers. Some doll you are missy. Wonder do your students know you are obsessed with this movie. Seriously though I bet you are great with your students and grading those papers.

Hee hee. There was definitely more watching than grading going on!

LOTM is soooo much more interesting than correcting translations of Caesar's Civil War. So there you have it. I teach Latin. One course a semester at the university level while I finish my graduate degree.

But ssshhh! My students don't know about my LOTM obsession. They DO know I love HBO's Rome, though!

Okay, a bit off topic, but my sister gave us a Netflix subscription for Christmas. It's been cool to watch shows that are on HBO that have gone to DVD or just any movie in general. SO, after finally watching season 2 of Deadwood, I figured I would give this "Rome" a whirl. Am I in for a treat? You guys sure talk enough about it.

Jack McCall: "Should we shake hands or something, relieve the atmosphere. I mean how stupid do you think I am?"
Wild Bill Hickok: "I don't know, I just met you."

"A nation with no regard to it's past will have little future worth remembering."
A.Lincoln

"Enjoy the little things, for one day you may look back and realize that they were the big things"

RedFraggle
Mohicanite

Redhead

October 13 2006

Posted - February 09 2007 :  11:13:18 PM  Show Profile  Visit RedFraggle's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by caitlin
I figured I would give this "Rome" a whirl. Am I in for a treat? You guys sure talk enough about it.

Ohhhh, yes. And his name is Mark Antony. IG probably knows which scene I'm talking about!

Antony aside, Rome really is good, I think. It's pretty violent at times, but if you've been watching Deadwood (gotta love Al Swearingen!) that shouldn't be a problem!

Irishgirl
Council of Elders

Irish Girl Avatar
USA

February 14 2006

Donating Member

Posted - February 10 2007 :  10:23:53 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
Caitlin definitely give "Rome" a try. I am totally addicted to this show. The first season was amazing and we had Ceasar in that one and now the second season is brilliant too. Mark Antony is definitely some eye candy in this show but there are some others who captivate me too like Lucius Vorenus and Titus Pullo.

Yes Red that scene is eye-poppin' and finger-lickin' good, yummy. You are in for a treat Caitlin. Enjoy.

IG

Light of the Moon
Mohicanland Statesman

Car in Fog
USA

December 18 2004

Posted - February 10 2007 :  10:27:51 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
Still thinking on the question y'all. So bear with me okay?
It seems we've covered every inch of the film and are just about "questioned out".

BTW paazau Beautiful Horse.
No, regretfully I don't have one but I did grow up in the boonies and worked a stable for about 2 summers. I fell in love with horses when I was eight and have dreamed of having one since. There is one I have my eyes on.
His name is Herman, he's about 15 years old, a Holstein, naturally (it blew away the minds of the owners that I knew that by sight)!
He's located in Cades Cove, TN riding stables. They allow some of their horses to be purchased and he was one of them. Still there last time I checked. We're trying to get a house next year with some acreage so that we can bring him home. He was sooooo cute. Like riding a big friendly puppy! Smiled the whole time we rode him. Nuzzled me when I dismounted demanding some more lovin'! I wanted to take him home on the spot but as I can't afford boarding and have no place (yet) I'll be waiting on pins and needles.
Yes, we should definately chat.
One day you should try to make it to the Boone County Fair in Hebron, KY. They have almost every kind of horse in the world. Last year a stock horse got pissed at his owner for one too many smacks with that little hand whip. He knocked her down with his side and drug her through the dirt. Pretty scary. She about beat the tar out of him when she got up but he nearly took her hand off to get at that whip!
I can't stand to see people treat horses like that!!! I was rooting for him, I'd have done the same.

paazau
Colonial Settler

Australia

March 11 2006

Posted - February 11 2007 :  10:18:47 PM  Show Profile  Send paazau a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
No problem Light. I'm sure you'll come up with a good one!

Thanks, we think he's beautiful too. I've sent you a PM to continue our horsey discussion. Looking forward to talking horses with you!

Bye for now!
Shaz

wes1761
Pathfinder

Me in Ranger Green
USA

April 06 2006

Posted - February 13 2007 :  09:20:35 AM  Show Profile  Visit wes1761's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
Nice Horses Shaz!!

When does the Rome series come on?? My good friend just got me into Roman re-enacting too....theres just too much cool history out there!!!!

Irishgirl
Council of Elders

Irish Girl Avatar
USA

February 14 2006

Donating Member

Posted - February 13 2007 :  09:34:35 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
Hey Wes Rome is now in it's second season on HBO and it is a brilliant show. My favorite at the moment. It is on Sunday nights at 9PM Eastern time. If you happen to have On Demand you can catch up with it on there. I am totally addicted and I love the costumes as well and the acting is superb. Be warned though as plenty of sex and violence but then this is not a show for kids. I do hope you get a chance to see it. Good luck with the re-enacting though. Must be fun to dress up like that.

IG

wes1761
Pathfinder

Me in Ranger Green
USA

April 06 2006

Posted - February 13 2007 :  11:32:44 AM  Show Profile  Visit wes1761's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
I just got my Lorica Segmentata, looking for a helmet and such. Might have to sell off my 42nd Highland Regimental stuff to fund this "new" hobby! Sheesh! LOL

Unfortunately, I don't get HBO, but I just bid on the first season DVD on E-bay....

Anybody out there have it on tape that I can borrow?? I'll pay shipping and a deposit if needed????

paazau
Colonial Settler

Australia

March 11 2006

Posted - February 13 2007 :  7:35:33 PM  Show Profile  Send paazau a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
quote:
Nice Horses Shaz!!

Thanks Wes!
quote:
<snip>Might have to sell off my 42nd Highland Regimental stuff to fund this "new" hobby! Sheesh! LOL

Whoa! I'm gonna run for cover before the fallout from that one hits!!

wes1761
Pathfinder

Me in Ranger Green
USA

April 06 2006

Posted - February 15 2007 :  09:26:47 AM  Show Profile  Visit wes1761's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
Shaz, what do you mean "fallout"??? I still have my basic stuff!

I just came back from a weekend project at the Nathan Boone home here in Missouri, we built 2 open faced Longhunter Camps.

Light of the Moon
Mohicanland Statesman

Car in Fog
USA

December 18 2004

Posted - February 19 2007 :  11:57:00 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
Okay, back on topic y'all.

Sorry it's taken so long.
On the DVD release Montcalm meets with Uncas in the woods and Uncas spill the secrets of his past. What was Montcalm's immediate response?

Irishgirl
Council of Elders

Irish Girl Avatar
USA

February 14 2006

Donating Member

Posted - February 19 2007 :  3:45:57 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by Light of the Moon

On the DVD release Montcalm meets with Uncas in the woods and Uncas spill the secrets of his past. What was Montcalm's immediate response?

Don't you mean meets with Magua in the woods you silly goose but hey I would love to meet with Uncas in the woods say no more

IG

paazau
Colonial Settler

Australia

March 11 2006

Posted - February 19 2007 :  11:51:46 PM  Show Profile  Send paazau a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by wes1761

Shaz, what do you mean "fallout"??? I still have my basic stuff!

I just came back from a weekend project at the Nathan Boone home here in Missouri, we built 2 open faced Longhunter Camps.

Well, as long as you still have your "basic stuff" it should be cool. I could just imagine your "commander's" screams upon reading you were selling your gear!!

That sounds like a great project Wes! Well done! Do you have any photos to share?? (Wish I had time to surf today and see what I can find on Longhunter Camps. I'm totally in the dark....) So much to learn, so little time..

paazau
Colonial Settler

Australia

March 11 2006

Posted - February 19 2007 :  11:54:59 PM  Show Profile  Send paazau a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
quote:

quote:
Originally posted by Light of the Moon

Don't you mean meets with Magua in the woods you silly goose but hey I would love to meet with Uncas in the woods say no more

I'm with you IG... gimme Uncas in the woods any day!!

Methinks Light has Uncas on the brain...

RedFraggle
Mohicanite

Redhead

October 13 2006

Posted - February 21 2007 :  07:40:35 AM  Show Profile  Visit RedFraggle's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by paazau
Methinks Light has Uncas on the brain...

No way! Light thinking about Uncas? Nah!

As far as the (slightly edited) question goes:
quote:
On the DVD release Montcalm meets with *Magua* in the woods and *Magua* spills the secrets of his past. What was Montcalm's immediate response?

My answer: a weird, slightly creepy look?

Irishgirl
Council of Elders

Irish Girl Avatar
USA

February 14 2006

Donating Member

Posted - February 21 2007 :  09:22:03 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
He says he feels his (Magua's) pain and sympathizes with him, I think.

IG

Light of the Moon
Mohicanland Statesman

Car in Fog
USA

December 18 2004

Posted - February 21 2007 :  9:38:31 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
quote:

He says he feels his (Magua's) pain and sympathizes with him, I think.

Sorry about the whole "Uncas/Magua" thing. Yes...sadly Uncas was on my brains that day. I can't help it. I watch the movie and fall in love allllll ovvverrrrr again!

And Irish, you're close enough! Your mark!

Irishgirl
Council of Elders

Irish Girl Avatar
USA

February 14 2006

Donating Member

Posted - February 22 2007 :  09:19:56 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
OMG I need a question Question

I'll be back ASAP

IG
Page: of 25 Previous Topic: Performances of Daniel Day-Lewis Topic Next Topic: Gathering Fever and LOTM in HD  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
| More
Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Jump To:

Around The Site:
~ What's New? ~
Pathfinding | Mohican Gatherings | Mohican Musings | LOTM Script | History | Musical Musings | Storefronts on the Frontier
Off the Beaten Trail | Links
Of Special Interest:
The Eric Schweig Gallery | From the Ramparts | The Listening Room | Against All Odds | The Video Clips Index

DISCLAIMER
Tune, 40, used by permission - composed by Ron Clarke

Custom Search

The Mohican Board! [Bumppo's Redux!] © 1997-2024 - Mohican Press Go To Top Of Page
Current Mohicanland page raised in 0.58 seconds Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.07