The Mohican Board! [Bumppo's Redux!]
The Mohican Board! [Bumppo's Redux!]
10/10/2024 5:38:34 PM
On the Trail...Home | Old Mohican Board Archives | Purpose
Events | Polls | Photos | Classifieds | Downloads
Profile | Register | Members | Private Messages
Search | Posting Tips | FAQ | Web Links | Mohican Chat | Blogs
Forum Bookmarks | Unanswered Posts | Preview Topic Photos | Active Topics
Invite a Friend to the Mohican Board | Guestbook | Greeting Cards | Auction (0) | Colonial Recipe Book
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 LAST OF THE MOHICANS
 The Last of the Mohicans ...
 why did duncan choose to die?
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
| More
Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Next Page

Author Previous Topic: Uncas and Alice:  A Contrary Opinion Topic Next Topic: the best native american movie of all time...
Page: of 2

zinvor
Pioneer

Huron 2
Armenia

Bumppo's Patron since [at least]:
May 13 2006

Posted - May 14 2006 :  03:31:36 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Poll Question:
Although at firdt Duncan doesn't seem to be a good and honest man his death is worth paying attention to. But it's interesting to find out whe he actally did it? why did duncan choose to die unstead of hawkeye?

Choices:

He knew cora'd be hapy only with hawkeye, so he sacrificed himself in the name of her happiness
he just wanted to be a hero
he wanted to justify himself for speaking falsly of what he'd seen in cameron's cabin
any british officer was supposed to do so, it was just a matter of honor
he wanted to die, for there was no reason for him to live without cora

Man is indeed like monkey - the higher he gets the more he demonstrates his a**
report to moderator

paazau
Colonial Settler

Australia

March 11 2006

Posted - May 14 2006 :  10:10:28 PM  Show Profile  Send paazau a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
I had to go with "just wanted to be a hero". Although the other factors come into it, british honor, couldn't live without cora, cora'd be happier without him, I think ultimatley he was trying to improve his standing in Cora's eyes. What did she say to him earlier... from the script "Duncan, you are a man with a few admirable qualities. But taken as a whole, I was wrong to have thought so highly of you. (Heyward’s shot through the heart.)"

Besides if Duncan allowed Hawkeye to be roasted, who would lead Duncan and Cora to safety and rescue Alice?? Duncan couldn't and he knew it! (He had no idea if Uncas and Chingachgook survived the falls or not.)

"You do not know what you're saying girl!"
"Yes I do, I know exactly what I am saying, and if it is sedition, then I am guilty of sedition too!"
report to moderator Go to Top of Page

Irishgirl
Council of Elders

Irish Girl Avatar
USA

February 14 2006

Donating Member

Posted - May 14 2006 :  11:02:44 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
I believe it was a combination of he wanted to justify himself for speaking falsely about what he had seen earlier at Cameron's Cabin and also he knew Cora loved Hawkeye and would be happy with only him. If he allowed Hawkeye to die in the fire then she would think even more badly of him that she already did. In truth, God only knows why he did it. His decision was made on the spur of the moment and they put him on the fire immediately. Had he time to think on his decision he would, in all likelyhood, have regretted it.

IG

zinvor
Pioneer

Huron 2
Armenia

May 13 2006

Posted - May 15 2006 :  08:41:08 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
I myself also think there was a mix of reasons and I agree he'd regret it later for in my opinion he wasn't a hero by nature and his decision was one made urgently, but he surely wasn't that bad to deny the "drama" of the moment and to watch silently Cora being BBQ'ed

Man is indeed like monkey - the higher he gets the more he demonstrates his a**

raindrops
Colonial Settler

United Kingdom

March 25 2006

Posted - May 15 2006 :  6:34:49 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
I voted for the first option, although I think it was a mixture of different factors.

I don't believe wanting to be a hero was his motivation. I guess his "audience" wasn't big enough to achieve real hero status..Similarly, british honor did not play a big part neither.

However, I think he did feel the need to justify himself. He also knew that Cora would be happier with Hawkeye and that his hopes of winning her were pretty much lost and therefore he decided to sacrifice himself. This showed the ultimate good in him.

Having said that, I believe - as I wrote in an earlier discussion - that he volunteered out of impuls, after Hawkeye did it first. Duncan had been competing with Hawkeye for some time and in this moment he felt he had to be equally devoted and brave. Indeed, everything happened so quickly and he surely had no time to think about it. He might have regretted it at some point with allthat fear and suffering that he must have felt in his last moments.

So in my opinion it was both - an impuls and the good side of Duncan.

Keira
Pathfinder

The Kiss 2

January 25 2006

Posted - May 17 2006 :  3:00:23 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
I think he truly loved Cora and was ready to die for her. By then he had realised that Cora`s heart belonged to Hawkeye.I think it had something to do with honor too but I believe that his love for Cora was the main reason.

RedFraggle
Mohicanite

Redhead

October 13 2006

Posted - January 31 2007 :  11:03:16 PM  Show Profile  Visit RedFraggle's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
I'd say it's a tossup between duty and sacrificing himself for Cora's happiness.

Duncan's main reason, I think, is that he feels it's his duty, not only as a British officer but also as the man Munro saw as his future son-in-law, to protect Cora. His remark to Nathaniel, "You have my compliments, sir," sounds very collected in view of the situation (hello! about to be burned alive in the Huron fires!), and seems to me to be founded in a sense of duty. Dying for a cause is what soldiers do, as Duncan indicated earlier in the film when he advocated holding out against the French at Wm. Henry.

At the same time, I think Duncan is very much in love with Cora and wants to see her safe as well as happy. After the waterfall scene, how could he not be forced to come to terms with the fact that she was never going to marry him? Sacrificing himself for her good just "makes sense," I guess, in this context.

Fitzhugh Williams
Mohicanland Statesman

July 17 2005

Posted - February 01 2007 :  10:14:55 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
So after he was rejected by Cora, there was no light in his life, no flame in his heart, no warmth in his soul. I guess the Hurons fixed all that for him.

"Les deux pieds contre la muraille et la tete sous le robinet"

Irishgirl
Council of Elders

Irish Girl Avatar
USA

February 14 2006

Donating Member

Posted - February 01 2007 :  11:17:56 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
lol Fitz You are a naughty boy aren't you?

IG

Light of the Moon
Mohicanland Statesman

Car in Fog
USA

December 18 2004

Posted - February 02 2007 :  1:36:51 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
The dude just wanted to be a hero in Cora's eyes since she would have the strong, manly, kick your prissy, gentleman's a@@ Hawkeye. He couldn't compete so he took the heat!
Good old Captain Crunch!

I live in my own little world - but that's okay, they know me here!

Irishgirl
Council of Elders

Irish Girl Avatar
USA

February 14 2006

Donating Member

Posted - February 02 2007 :  2:13:32 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
Plus his weapon was not as big as Hawkeye's

IG

Light of the Moon
Mohicanland Statesman

Car in Fog
USA

December 18 2004

Posted - February 02 2007 :  2:39:34 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
What exactly do you mean by that, Irish?

Irishgirl
Council of Elders

Irish Girl Avatar
USA

February 14 2006

Donating Member

Posted - February 02 2007 :  5:23:17 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
His rifle was not as big as Hawkeye's of course. Get your mind out of the gutter girl.

IG

RedFraggle
Mohicanite

Redhead

October 13 2006

Posted - February 02 2007 :  5:33:36 PM  Show Profile  Visit RedFraggle's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by Irishgirl

His rifle was not as big as Hawkeye's of course. Get your mind out of the gutter girl.

Hmmm, IG, I seem to recall a quote somewhere about Uncas's weapon. I'm sure your mind was nowhere near the gutter on that one.

Obediah
Mohicanland Statesman

Skull 5
USA

August 16 2006

Donating Member

Posted - February 02 2007 :  6:10:17 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
I suppose now is not the time to make any remarks about barbequeing weenies...

BTW, it was duty that called.

Light of the Moon
Mohicanland Statesman

Car in Fog
USA

December 18 2004

Posted - February 02 2007 :  10:07:00 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
Did anybody bring buns?

RedFraggle
Mohicanite

Redhead

October 13 2006

Posted - February 02 2007 :  11:14:10 PM  Show Profile  Visit RedFraggle's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by Irishgirl

Plus his weapon was not as big as Hawkeye's.

Ah yes, but a good, old-fashioned army pistol is faster on the draw than a rifle and reloads much more quickly. Or so I've heard.

Now get your minds out of the gutter. I was talking about guns.

Light of the Moon
Mohicanland Statesman

Car in Fog
USA

December 18 2004

Posted - February 03 2007 :  09:13:38 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
We're in a gutter?

Obediah
Mohicanland Statesman

Skull 5
USA

August 16 2006

Donating Member

Posted - February 04 2007 :  5:18:21 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
Or, as CW re-enactor are so fond of saying, bayonets are always loaded!

Light of the Moon
Mohicanland Statesman

Car in Fog
USA

December 18 2004

Posted - February 06 2007 :  10:49:39 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
Huh?

condor_watch
Pathfinder

Huron
USA

March 01 2007

Posted - March 01 2007 :  9:33:12 PM  Show Profile  Send condor_watch a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
hello all!!

About WHY Duncan was the "guest of honor" at the "Brit BBQ" COULD be an act of redemption for him being a ruddy poo during the whole movie.

And, the fact that Cora told him in NO uncertain terms while they were having tea and at the fort that she did not want to marry him he decided that if he should die, then he'd try to make his death appear to be for something.

Just my thought!

It could be said that he went out " In a blaze of glory".....LOL, yes I am a Bon Jovi fan.

RedFraggle
Mohicanite

Redhead

October 13 2006

Posted - March 01 2007 :  10:26:25 PM  Show Profile  Visit RedFraggle's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
Whoa! Talk about flashbacks. Bon Jovi. Haven't listened to him in forever!

As for poor Duncan, I guess he was "Shot Throught the Heart" when he figured out "Burning for Love" isn't all it's cracked up to be, especially when you're not really "Wanted Dead or Alive" by anyone.

Yikes! Looks like I had my Bon Jovi days too. Welcome, condor watch!

Obediah
Mohicanland Statesman

Skull 5
USA

August 16 2006

Donating Member

Posted - March 02 2007 :  12:19:15 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
Waitaminit! Didn't Elvis have a song about Duncan? You know, "Hunka-hunka burning love"

Light of the Moon
Mohicanland Statesman

Car in Fog
USA

December 18 2004

Posted - March 05 2007 :  11:20:25 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply

You are too funny, Obi!

winglo
Deerslayer

USA

July 13 2007

Donating Member

Posted - July 29 2007 :  1:46:48 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
I'm curious. . .I'd like to see the votes divided here between men and women. I like to think he did it because of his love for Cora, but, as I am not a man, I don't know if a man would give his life for a woman that doesn't love him back.

So, guys, how likely is it that you would do that?

Irishgirl
Council of Elders

Irish Girl Avatar
USA

February 14 2006

Donating Member

Posted - July 29 2007 :  6:01:17 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
"a man give his life for a woman that doesn't love him back" highly unlikey I would think or maybe not. At times like this I tend to ask myself not WWJD but "what would Obi do"?.

IG
Page: of 2 Previous Topic: Uncas and Alice:  A Contrary Opinion Topic Next Topic: the best native american movie of all time...  
Next Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
| More
Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Jump To:

Around The Site:
~ What's New? ~
Pathfinding | Mohican Gatherings | Mohican Musings | LOTM Script | History | Musical Musings | Storefronts on the Frontier
Off the Beaten Trail | Links
Of Special Interest:
The Eric Schweig Gallery | From the Ramparts | The Listening Room | Against All Odds | The Video Clips Index

DISCLAIMER
Tune, 40, used by permission - composed by Ron Clarke

Custom Search

The Mohican Board! [Bumppo's Redux!] © 1997-2024 - Mohican Press Go To Top Of Page
Current Mohicanland page raised in 0.69 seconds Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.07