The Mohican Board! [Bumppo's Redux!]
The Mohican Board! [Bumppo's Redux!]
10/10/2024 11:28:50 AM
On the Trail...Home | Old Mohican Board Archives | Purpose
Events | Polls | Photos | Classifieds | Downloads
Profile | Register | Members | Private Messages
Search | Posting Tips | FAQ | Web Links | Mohican Chat | Blogs
Forum Bookmarks | Unanswered Posts | Preview Topic Photos | Active Topics
Invite a Friend to the Mohican Board | Guestbook | Greeting Cards | Auction (0) | Colonial Recipe Book
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 LAST OF THE MOHICANS
 The Last of the Mohicans ...
 Uncas and Alice: A Contrary Opinion
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
| More
Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Next Page

Author Previous Topic: Alices braided hair... Topic Next Topic: why did duncan choose to die?
Page: of 5

Bookworm
Colonial Militia

USA

Bumppo's Patron since [at least]:
February 10 2004

Donating Member

Posted - June 06 2006 :  08:10:30 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Is there anyone else here who could not care less if the Uncas-and-Alice "romance" were magically erased from LOTM, never to be seen again?

Bookworm

"I've gotten so fascinated with the eighteenth century, I'm going to stay there." -- David McCullough

"Nothing to it, brother." -- Barack Obama
report to moderator

Wilderness Woman
Watcher of the Wood

Young George Washington
USA

November 27 2002

Donating Member

Posted - June 06 2006 :  08:17:47 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
Why Miss Bookworm! You are really ready to stand in front of the firing squad, aren't you? Got your blindfold on? 'Cause I hear the muskets being primed and loaded!

To answer your very brave question... Yes. I'm here. And I will join you in front of the firing squad any day. And just before the muskets are fired, I will say yet again: "There was no romance. Uncas was in love with Alice. Alice was not in love with Uncas."

Now................DUCK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

[Rich, where's the smiley aiming a musket at an innocent person?]

"It is more deeply stirring to my blood than any imaginings could possibly have been."
report to moderator Go to Top of Page

Monadnock Guide
Council of Elders

USA

March 14 2005

Posted - June 06 2006 :  08:32:24 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
I'm with you Bookworm, - I saw it as a quasi historical movie, and anything else in it was a distraction, strictly meant to increase it's appeal to a larger audience. ;)

you can keep "The Change"

MeggieD
Colonial Settler

Megs Avatar
USA

January 23 2006

Posted - June 06 2006 :  09:13:28 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
Even though I am a fan of the Uncas/Alice "thing" as it were, it took me 2 viewings to even figure out that he was in love with her.....The first time I saw it I was entranced by the Nathanial/Cora relationship, and it was only after the second time I saw it (several years later) that I even noticed Uncas' interest in Alice. I do feel that they needed to further clarify the feelings of both of them to better convey the motivation of Uncas' and Alice's sacrifice at the end. (which by the way I still feel is a brilliant bit of cinematography)

Uncas: "some food"

Irishgirl
Council of Elders

Irish Girl Avatar
USA

February 14 2006

Donating Member

Posted - June 06 2006 :  12:32:18 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
Hey you guys why you picking on Uncas and Alice? Didn't they suffer enough already? It is an important part of the movie. Heck why not "magically erase" the Nathaniel/Cora romance too while you are at it. Just leave all the "historical stuff". I agree with you MG in that it is only partly historical and all the romance stuff was thrown in so the movie would appeal to a larger audience, which it did. Without the romance aspect, were it all historical, I for one would not have enjoyed it. Lots of us women out here love the romance in there and in particular the mystery surrounding the Uncas/Alice relationship or lack thereof. We shall never know since that meanie Michael Mann deemed it fit to delete the mythical "love scene" under the falls.

Don't worry gals my musket will not be primed and loaded anytime soon. You are safe from me. I sure enjoy all the discussion even if I do not agree with some of it.

IG

richfed
Sachem

King 1
USA

May 13 2002

Administrator

Posted - June 06 2006 :  6:10:41 PM  Show Profile  Visit richfed's Homepage  Click to see richfed's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
I see it as a valid - but way over blown - part of the film. The essence of the film is myriad, but that ain't it. Not really. The seeds of the American Revolution, the struggles of the American Indian, a full blown romance [Hawkeye/Cora] and hero tale. Uncas and Alice - AS A ROMANCE - is no more than a footnote - side bar, at best!

MY rifle is loaded!! I shoot back!!!

Irishgirl
Council of Elders

Irish Girl Avatar
USA

February 14 2006

Donating Member

Posted - June 06 2006 :  10:53:38 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by richfed

MY rifle is loaded!! I shoot back!!!

Thanks for the warning rich

IG

Light of the Moon
Mohicanland Statesman

Car in Fog
USA

December 18 2004

Posted - June 07 2006 :  12:46:51 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
Now this is a can of worms! Uncas loving fans everywhere will tackle this one. So here I go....
I thought the movie was good without it but then there are scenes where there would have been a lot explained with them.
C'est la vie, c'est la guerre!

I live in my own little world - but that's okay, they know me here!

raindrops
Colonial Settler

United Kingdom

March 25 2006

Posted - June 07 2006 :  9:30:50 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
I don't mind plenty of love stories in movies, even historical ones
However, there is something else that troubles me in the Uncas/Alice thing. The fate brought Hawkeye and Cora together but it is a bit of coincidence that Hawkeye's brother has a relationship with Cora's sister.. Of course things like that happen but as there are not many women in the movie it makes me think that Uncas was interested in Alice because there was no one else around.. Together with the fact that they didn't interact much throughout the whole movie it makes it a bit difficult for me to understand what actually was going on here.. Different possibilities come to my mind but none of them is significantly more convincing then the others.

zinvor
Pioneer

Huron 2
Armenia

May 13 2006

Posted - June 10 2006 :  3:32:44 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
It hardly was a meaningful part of the story, but it is beautiful and touching. As for me if I had to choose I'd rather get rid of Hawkeye/Cora story (PLEASE forgive me Hawkeye's fans). If we see it as a historical film then no love story makes difference and we could "magically erase" all the romance with the same effect.
I agree with you raindrops, that bothers me too. And so I guess there was the only way to avoid further explanations, that is to kill them both. But this line is somewhat unfinished, there are still many questions. Probably they didn't want to attract too much attention to their relationship, but the result was vice versa.

Still two complete love stories between brothers-hunters and sisters-ladies... THAT's what i call drool.

nekutmeqwanoc
Pathfinder

Fascism
USA

June 10 2006

Posted - June 10 2006 :  6:33:16 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
i am a guy but i am a romantic one.i am a fan but not as hard core as some of you but personally i wish they didnt die and you could see what happened to all of them not just uncas and alice.but i would rather see their love story than hawkeyes and coras.just my opinion.

Monadnock Guide
Council of Elders

USA

March 14 2005

Posted - June 10 2006 :  8:14:38 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
A 16 year old "female guy"? ... ;)

nekutmeqwanoc
Pathfinder

Fascism
USA

June 10 2006

Posted - June 10 2006 :  8:53:02 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
i cant find out how to change my profile!

nekutmeqwanoc
Pathfinder

Fascism
USA

June 10 2006

Posted - June 10 2006 :  8:55:31 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
i found it now!lol

Dark Woods
Colonial Settler

Light House
USA

May 18 2002

Donating Member

Posted - June 16 2006 :  11:44:04 PM  Show Profile  Visit Dark Woods's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
I have not stepped into a raging controversy for a while, so this is a lively one. ONCE MORE INTO THE BREACH DEAR FRIENDS, ONCE MORE ACROSS THE WATER FOR OUR .... Wait that is Henry the 5th, not LOTM. Sorry.

Anyway, from my perspective the key to the Uncas/Alice "relationship" rests with Alexandra Cameron. (Funny how I seem to find excuses to bring up Alexandra?)

I believe that Uncas and Alexandra were in love with each other, but kept that secret from the others. Uncas is quite affected by her death. I believe he left the burned Cameron cabin site determined to "keep that sort of thing from happening again".

I think that Alice appeared to Uncas as the daughter that he and Alexandra might have had together. Or perhaps he viewed her as a younger sister to Alexandra, and thus a "sister" to him.

Uncas thus had a kinship feeling for Alice, and wanted to protect her, having been unable to protect his true love Alexandra. That explains him running ahead of the others to confront Magua, when it would have been smarter wait for his father Chingachgook and brother Hawkeye. His love for Alexandra, platonically transferred to Alice got the better of his common sense.

If Uncas and Alice had both lived, her blossoming womanhood would have presented a challenge (or perhaps an opportunity) to re-evaluate his kinship feelings for Alice.

We become what we think about.

nekutmeqwanoc
Pathfinder

Fascism
USA

June 10 2006

Posted - June 17 2006 :  8:45:09 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
i think people read to much into it.i think uncas and alice kinda had a crush on each other.i think alex was looking at the whole family and how happy they were instead of uncas.i think she is concerned since he is the second to the last of the mohicans.does the book give more detail?i will have to read it.

Irishgirl
Council of Elders

Irish Girl Avatar
USA

February 14 2006

Donating Member

Posted - June 18 2006 :  10:23:37 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
Well from a woman's point of view Uncas is one gorgeous guy and any hot blooded woman would "look" at him in a certain way regardless of whether they were married or not. She did have a "thing" for Uncas maybe a little crush. He obviously was very fond of her too. Nothing would have ever come of it of course but we like to think that the feeling was mutual Uncas having a crush on her too. She was definitely looking at him though.

IG

raindrops
Colonial Settler

United Kingdom

March 25 2006

Posted - June 18 2006 :  6:18:35 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
Well, I,personally, don't like to think that Uncas had a crush on anyone in particular, I like to think he was still young and simply did not think about "these things" yet. Then my imagination produces an alternative story in which I appear in Uncas's life somehow and coincidently that is when he has his first crush on.. guess who.. heeheee

Lurking Huron7439
Anonymous Guest

November 27 2002

Posted - June 19 2006 :  4:52:42 PM  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
I completely disagree that Uncas and Alexandra had something going on. The way she and her husband looked at each other from across that dinner table contradicts the notion that she would be in love with Uncas. Also him feeling only a kinship towards Alice doesn't make sense since there was love scene filmed between them. Also in the script it specifically says that he was her "lover".

Autumn
Pathfinder

June 03 2006

Posted - June 19 2006 :  9:12:50 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
I would like to add my few cents in here.....I think there might have been a "relationship" other than friendship between Uncas and Alexandra because of her comments and the look she gave from the fireplace. As for the Uncas/Alice thing, has anyone contacted Mr. Mann as to why he left out scenes that is so important to all of us ladies?.........just wonderin'

Autumn

Irishgirl
Council of Elders

Irish Girl Avatar
USA

February 14 2006

Donating Member

Posted - June 20 2006 :  09:35:00 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
Believe me if I ever met Mr Mann I would be sure to ask him what happened to the Uncas/Alice scenes and demand that he release another DVD with all the footage ever shot on it. Every single piece of film needs to be included on the DVD.

IG

Monadnock Guide
Council of Elders

USA

March 14 2005

Posted - June 20 2006 :  10:37:21 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
This movie was about a book that was a historical novel, nothing else! It tried to play into a larger audience by including both romance and military events. Had it been all histoical, or all romance - bingo, the audience gets cut in half, - not a good idea. Why is that so tough to understand?

Irishgirl
Council of Elders

Irish Girl Avatar
USA

February 14 2006

Donating Member

Posted - June 20 2006 :  10:50:24 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
I agree with what you say MG but we want the release of a DVD with all the footage on it that was ever shot. Simple as that.

IG

Monadnock Guide
Council of Elders

USA

March 14 2005

Posted - June 20 2006 :  10:52:03 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
Good luck

Irishgirl
Council of Elders

Irish Girl Avatar
USA

February 14 2006

Donating Member

Posted - June 20 2006 :  10:53:09 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
Yeah I know it will never happen but we can only dream can't we. Miracles do sometimes happen.

IG

Lurking Huron0841
Anonymous Guest

November 27 2002

Posted - June 20 2006 :  5:25:18 PM  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
Regarding the release of the DVD with all the footage, see the post titled 2007 that's up right now. Fitzhugh mentions a great opportunity for a 2007 mini-gathering is the F & I Ft. William Henry 250th reenactment.
It's also a great opportunity for Fox to give us the whole movie.
Anybody got any ideas how to get this off the ground?
Page: of 5 Previous Topic: Alices braided hair... Topic Next Topic: why did duncan choose to die?  
Next Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
| More
Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Jump To:

Around The Site:
~ What's New? ~
Pathfinding | Mohican Gatherings | Mohican Musings | LOTM Script | History | Musical Musings | Storefronts on the Frontier
Off the Beaten Trail | Links
Of Special Interest:
The Eric Schweig Gallery | From the Ramparts | The Listening Room | Against All Odds | The Video Clips Index

DISCLAIMER
Tune, 40, used by permission - composed by Ron Clarke

Custom Search

The Mohican Board! [Bumppo's Redux!] © 1997-2024 - Mohican Press Go To Top Of Page
Current Mohicanland page raised in 0.56 seconds Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.07