The Mohican Board! [Bumppo's Redux!]
The Mohican Board! [Bumppo's Redux!]
10/10/2024 11:30:40 AM
On the Trail...Home | Old Mohican Board Archives | Purpose
Events | Polls | Photos | Classifieds | Downloads
Profile | Register | Members | Private Messages
Search | Posting Tips | FAQ | Web Links | Mohican Chat | Blogs
Forum Bookmarks | Unanswered Posts | Preview Topic Photos | Active Topics
Invite a Friend to the Mohican Board | Guestbook | Greeting Cards | Auction (0) | Colonial Recipe Book
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 LAST OF THE MOHICANS
 The Last of the Mohicans ...
 For the Love of LOTM
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
| More
Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Next Page

Author Previous Topic: Into Mohicans! Topic Next Topic: Magua and Alice
Page: of 3

paazau
Colonial Settler

Australia

Bumppo's Patron since [at least]:
March 11 2006

Posted - April 23 2006 :  06:20:44 AM  Show Profile  Send paazau a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Poll Question:
No matter who we are, what we do, where we live, nearly all of us on this message board have one thing in common: a love of The Last of the Mohicans; not to mention a love of some of the characters portrayed therein , but we won't delve into that just now.

So, please, do tell - when did this love affair first start for you?

What were your thoughts and reactions when you first watched the movie?

What are your thoughts and reactions when you watch it now, after... (go ahead, tell us how many) times?

You may just vote if you prefer, but please don't be shy. Make a post, too, and tell us all about your love of LOTM.

Choices:

1992 - Original Theatrical Release
1993 - Original Video Release
1999 - Original DVD Release
2001 - Director's Cut DVD Release
1992 to 1996 - tv, cable tv, theatre (which one?)
1997 to 1999 - tv, cable tv, theatre, video hire or purchase (which one?)
2000 to 2001 - tv, cable tv, theatre, video / dvd hire or purchase (which one?)
2002 to 2006 - tv, cable tv, theatre, video / dvd hire or purchase (which one?)
International Theatrical Release
International Video Release
Other date and/or media

"You do not know what you're saying girl!"
"Yes I do, I know exactly what I am saying, and if it is sedition, then I am guilty of sedition too!"
report to moderator

MeggieD
Colonial Settler

Megs Avatar
USA

January 23 2006

Posted - April 23 2006 :  12:38:33 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
We rented the VHS in 1995. My husband hates subtitles, so he fell asleep pretty early on. I watched the whole thing (just once) and was enthralled with the Nathaniel/Cora romance. I didn't notice the Uncas/Alice thing was going on throughout. I only felt a connection between the two when she jumped, and then I felt she jumped more out of fear, than her feelings for Uncas. It wasn't until January 2006 when I saw it on the EncoreLove channel that we were only getting for a few weeks on a trial basis that I truly felt that Uncas and Alice were in love. Then I bought the VHS and the Director's DVD and have watched it about 10 times since. I love the scenery, the music, and costumes and battle scenes, and the story, inaccurate as it is. I feel that more character development could have enhanced the movie with several characters - Magua, Uncas, Alice, Duncan....That's all I can think of right now.....Meg

Uncas: "some food"
report to moderator Go to Top of Page

Irishgirl
Council of Elders

Irish Girl Avatar
USA

February 14 2006

Donating Member

Posted - April 23 2006 :  3:08:41 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
Well I first saw this movie probably in the mid nineties when we bought it on VHS. I remember I liked it and thought the "Indian guy" was gorgeous (Uncas of course). Never thought any more about it until earlier this year probably in January, when I watched in on one of the Encore channels again, remembering that I had seen it years ago and liked it. Well I liked it again and that was that. I bought the DVD Directors Expanded Edition recently and have watched it. I am not obsessed with this movie or in "love with it" I just really like it. In all honesty I have probably only seen the whole movie maybe 3 or 4 times at most. I have gone through it and watched certain scenes more than others, the ones with a certain Indian in them, but that is about it for me. Most of you seem more into the movie than me. After I saw in on Encore I did a web search on Eric Schweig which lead me to this site but in all honesty the main attraction of the movie for me is, you guessed it Uncas.

IG

Keira
Pathfinder

The Kiss 2

January 25 2006

Posted - April 24 2006 :  05:25:53 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
I first saw the movie when my brother got it as a christmas present. I think it was the Christmas Eve or the Christmas Day. I was nine years old so the year must have been 1993. I totally fell in love with the movie. I was so jealous to my brother because he was the one who got the VHS. Later I persuaded him to sell it to me. I must have watched at least hundred times...maybe more, and I still love it as much as I did when I saw it for the first time.

Keira
Pathfinder

The Kiss 2

January 25 2006

Posted - April 24 2006 :  05:36:37 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
Oh and I thought that the romance between Nathaniel and Cora was the most beautiful thing . Also the last 20 minutes or so where and still are simply breathtaking.

Irishgirl
Council of Elders

Irish Girl Avatar
USA

February 14 2006

Donating Member

Posted - April 24 2006 :  1:00:56 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
When I first watched this movie I remember being horrified by the scene where Duncan is BBQ'd alive. It really disturbed me, even though I did not particularly like his character. Now when I see it, that scene, it doesn't bother me at all. The only scene that really still gets me every time is my beloved Uncas's death at the hands of Magua on the cliffside and his body sliding down the rocks. Very tragic and I have always loved "the look" he gives Alice when he is fighting Magua on the rocks. Did not realize why he ran like a "man possessed" up the rocks to save Alice, a girl he had barely even spoke to or exchanged glances with until I came to this board and heard about the deleted love scene in the cave under the Waterfall. Still think they should have left that scene in and it would have explained a lot instead of just leaving us wondering why he was trying so hard to rescue this girl he did not even know well.

IG

Keira
Pathfinder

The Kiss 2

January 25 2006

Posted - April 25 2006 :  03:09:25 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
Hi Irishgirl . I was also horrified by the scene where Duncan gets burned, but it might have had something to do with me being so young then. Other scene that I still don`t like to watch is where Magua cuts out Colonel Munro`s heart. Although the actual cutting isn´t shown..I just don´t like to watch it.

Paula
Pathfinder

United Kingdom

May 09 2005

Posted - April 25 2006 :  08:13:55 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
Firstly, as for many on this site, it's Uncas. I remember watching it being utterly captivated, thinking I've never seen such an amazing looking man (well, you don't get many Native Americans over here in the UK or I really must get out more often!). Secondly, the music, from the first drum beat at the beginning I'm hooked.

Irishgirl
Council of Elders

Irish Girl Avatar
USA

February 14 2006

Donating Member

Posted - April 26 2006 :  11:19:04 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by Keira
Other scene that I still don`t like to watch is where Magua cuts out Colonel Munro`s heart. Although the actual cutting isn´t shown..I just don´t like to watch it

Funny you should mention that scene as for some reason I thought when Magua cut out his heart he took a bite out of it. I was sure I had seen that years ago in the movie but when watched it recently (this year) I see that this is not what happens. I could have sworn years ago they showed Magua taking a bite out of the heart. Anyone else think this or am I just plain crazy

IG

Emily
Colonial Settler

Cora 4
USA

January 08 2005

Posted - April 26 2006 :  10:27:41 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
I first saw it when my dad was watching it. I sat down with him, I think I was about ten or so, so I guess that was around '98 or so. I have been daydreaming everysince...

"It is the unknown we fear when looking upon death and darkness, nothing more."

Lurking Huron5647
Anonymous Guest

November 27 2002

Posted - April 30 2006 :  9:56:58 PM  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
I also could swear I saw Magua take a bite out of his heart when I first say the film in 1992.

quote:
Originally posted by Irishgirl

Originally posted by Keira
Other scene that I still don`t like to watch is where Magua cuts out Colonel Munro`s heart. Although the actual cutting isn´t shown..I just don´t like to watch it

quote:
Funny you should mention that scene as for some reason I thought when Magua cut out his heart he took a bite out of it. I was sure I had seen that years ago in the movie but when watched it recently (this year) I see that this is not what happens. I could have sworn years ago they showed Magua taking a bite out of the heart. Anyone else think this or am I just plain crazy

richfed
Sachem

King 1
USA

May 13 2002

Administrator

Posted - May 01 2006 :  7:42:47 PM  Show Profile  Visit richfed's Homepage  Click to see richfed's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
I think this may be a case of the power of [subliminal] persuasion. One almost expects to see that. Wes says "No."

cuthron
Pathfinder

Huron
Finland

July 27 2005

Posted - May 02 2006 :  07:09:53 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
I saw the movie in 1992 in theatre, but my first reaction was a dissappointment, because the movie was so different than a book (and maybe i was too young then to understand real love stories)Some Years later I taped the movie when came from the TV, but even then I didn't think it was so great. And some more years passed when the tape was in my bookshelf without nobody touching it, until last year I took it and watched it again. Maybe my experiences in life were changed me or something, but then i saw the LOTM like a different movie, and I liked allmost ewerything in it and was wery touched about love of uncas and alice (thou love story of cora and hawkeye was beautiful too)After that I watched it several times in one month and still watch it about once in 2 months (and of course i had to have dvd too)

Harri

Irishgirl
Council of Elders

Irish Girl Avatar
USA

February 14 2006

Donating Member

Posted - May 02 2006 :  09:29:09 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by Paula

Firstly, as for many on this site, it's Uncas. I remember watching it being utterly captivated, thinking I've never seen such an amazing looking man

Aint that the truth. He is definitely God's gift to womankind. Still amazes me that one man could be so darn good looking. As if that was not enough he also has that deep, sexy voice which would sound great even reading the phone book. He can act too. What more can I say, this gorgeous creature has the whole darn package.

IG

mydnytrambler
Lost in the Wilderness

USA

May 03 2006

Posted - May 04 2006 :  1:45:51 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
I first came to love this story when I read the book as a kid. The illustrations by N.C. Wyeth were spellbinding. Then one day my parents bought the film and even though it's different from the book I couldn't get over it, kept jumping around saying "THIS is the most awesome film I've ever seen!" Still is too.

Since the early worm gets eaten by the bird, sleep late.

lmg222
Lost in the Wilderness

USA

December 05 2002

Donating Member

Posted - May 06 2006 :  8:49:11 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
I feel like a late bloomer.I didn't see the movie until 2001 I think. I wasn't even in the room when this program came on TV. I was putting stuff away when I heard this incredible music. I went into the living room to see what it was and the movie was nearly over. I quickly checked the TV guide section of the newspaper and found the name. I think it was TNT that was showing it. I frantically looked for another showing - none. Then I reasearched online (this was 2001 I think), found the name the stars etc. bought a copy of the sound track on Amazon. Then A&E carried the movie and I taped it and finally watched it. Then bought a DVD (2 actually, one for my sister). If I had time I'd probably watch it on a weekly basis, but I manage to see it every few months. I regret I've never seen it in a theater. Wish I'd seen it in '92, but that was a busy year for me. My daughter going off to college 1500 mi away and lots of other stuff. But I have enjoyed the DVD and sound tracks which I carry in my car and listen to almost daily. I do enjoy the website, but not as often as I'd like.

Linda G

mountainheart
Pathfinder

The Kiss 2
USA

February 23 2005

Donating Member

Posted - May 09 2006 :  11:37:55 AM  Show Profile  Visit mountainheart's Homepage  Send mountainheart a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
Mine began in 2005 in a friend's living room. they have a big screen TV and thought I would enjoy seeing it. "It was more stirring to my blood than any imagining."

"Oh the depth of the human experience!"

Mark
Lost in the Wilderness

Finland

March 18 2006

Posted - May 11 2006 :  02:28:54 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
I have been BIIGG "native american fan" about 15 years ...
So i saw it two times in theatre "Finland" yeah thats where i live ..

i never readed the book so i didn't expect nothing..
great movie .. sad ending .. but thats the way love goes

hoka hey ..
sorry about my english nierly ever i write in english .. just talking

paazau
Colonial Settler

Australia

March 11 2006

Posted - May 11 2006 :  09:22:44 AM  Show Profile  Send paazau a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
Welcome to the board Mark! Lucky you to have seen LOTM in the theatre! I hope to some day. No need to apoligse, your written english is fine - much much better than my written (or spoken) Finnish/Swedish would be!!

"Yes I do, I know exactly what I am saying, and if it is sedition, then I am guilty of sedition too!"

paazau
Colonial Settler

Australia

March 11 2006

Posted - May 11 2006 :  09:30:53 AM  Show Profile  Send paazau a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
WOW! That's fabulous guys! So many different stories about everyone's discovery of LOTM.. Thanks for sharing everyone, and keep 'em coming!!

My story goes like this: I only first saw the movie in 2004 or 2005, when I hired the video. I wasn't too impressed with the movie, probably because of the poor picture quality - everything was so dark !! The one bit I do vividly remember, is Hawkeye jumping into the waterfall. Absolutely blew me away! I recall thinking that Uncas was good-looking and it was a shame he didn't have a bigger part because Hawkeye wasn't really that cute. I was sure that Chingachgook was going to die, leaving Uncas the "last of the mohicans" and was devastated when Uncas was killed! I, too, never gave the movie much more thought after my first watching until I found the dvd on sale and bought it earlier this year. I watched it, and was hooked! Uncas' still maintains his appeal for me, and I have come to appreciate Hawkeye's character-traits and self-carriage, and my opinion on his looks has softened. Now, even though I know how it ends, I still cry when Uncas dies (d**n hormones!). I can't count the number of times I've watched it, but it's got to be more than I should admit to.. what can I say, I have no life! I have the original soundtrack and it plays in the cd player in my 4wd all the time. My kids don't like going with me anywhere anymore - see there's a method to my madness! I have put the music on my work pc as well, and listen to it all day at work; it makes for good background music.. I also found one of Clannad's CD's with the full-version of "I Will Find You". That song just fits so well in that place in the movie, and moves me every time I hear it. One of my wishes is to see it on the big screen (Gathering 2007 may be the time...!!!)

zinvor
Pioneer

Huron 2
Armenia

May 13 2006

Posted - May 16 2006 :  03:52:16 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
I haven't even heard about this film until very recently (i knew there was such a book, but somehow i thought it would be trivial and boring). A couple of months ago saw it on tv (unfortunately now i have to live in a barbaric country which is not my own, so there's no wonder!!) and was impressed by the story itself and especially by the tragic end, which I didn't expect to see. I wasn't watching very carefully, so the next day i watched it again, carefully, attentively. And I almost fell in love with it. Then i decided to read the book and I have already read everything written by Cooper that i could find (including Leatherstocking tales, of course).
Then I asked my sister who lives in Cyprus to get a DVD for me and she did. And Thanks God I understand English well enough to watch it, for there were some mistakes and lapses in translated version on tv. Since then I can enjoy the original movie (expanded edition) whenever I want.

Man is indeed like monkey - the higher he gets the more he demonstrates his a**

YoungNative
Pioneer

May 19 2003

Posted - May 26 2006 :  02:07:28 AM  Show Profile  Send YoungNative an AOL message  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
No clue when i first saw it, sometime in 95 or 96. I started reenacting then, i had never seen or heard of it, and one of my fellow reenactors that was in it, a man named francis "fuzzy" Otoole(most of u reenactors most likely know him, he's also an extra in the movie) told me to watch it, and i did, and i liked it, so i've watched it over and over again. Thats how i first saw it.

"Re-enacting is life, the rest is just history." -me

"In the End, we will remember not the words of our enemies, but the silence of our friends." -M. L. King Jr.

"music is like this porthole into another world - the world of truth."
-Trey Anastasio

"you do not have to fear what goes bump in the night, when you become what lurks in the dark" - unknown

Lady of Glencairn
Colonial Settler

Prison Break - Sara Tancredi
South Africa

May 29 2004

Posted - July 06 2006 :  07:53:56 AM  Show Profile  Visit Lady of Glencairn's Homepage  Click to see Lady of Glencairn's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
I first watched it when I was a young girl with my Dad. He loved the scene where Chingashgook kills Magua ... and he would watch it over and over. A couple of years later I saw the movie at my local video rental store and watched it again. I loved it so much that I rushed out and went to buy the DVD ... and Ive been watching it ever since. Its one of my all-time favourites. It was also my first introduction to Eric Schweig and a long standing love affair ... woooohooooooo!! :-)

Lady of Glencairn
"Love is the triumph of imagination over intelligence" - H.L. Mencken

Irishgirl
Council of Elders

Irish Girl Avatar
USA

February 14 2006

Donating Member

Posted - July 06 2006 :  3:16:48 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by Lady of Glencairn It was also my first introduction to Eric Schweig and a long standing love affair ... woooohooooooo!! :-)

Just like the rest of us Lady, we all fell in /lust with Uncas/Eric.

IG

Lady of Glencairn
Colonial Settler

Prison Break - Sara Tancredi
South Africa

May 29 2004

Posted - July 07 2006 :  1:46:41 PM  Show Profile  Visit Lady of Glencairn's Homepage  Click to see Lady of Glencairn's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
Now who couldnt LOVE this:

Image Insert:

21.66 KB

Lady of Glencairn
"Love is the triumph of imagination over intelligence" - H.L. Mencken

Irishgirl
Council of Elders

Irish Girl Avatar
USA

February 14 2006

Donating Member

Posted - July 07 2006 :  6:53:19 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
Oh my .....absolutely yummy. I swear my heart is thumping and my blood pressure just rose looking at that delicious picture. Thanks for that treat. Boy do I ever wish I was in those bushes with him..heehee.

IG
Page: of 3 Previous Topic: Into Mohicans! Topic Next Topic: Magua and Alice  
Next Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
| More
Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Jump To:

Around The Site:
~ What's New? ~
Pathfinding | Mohican Gatherings | Mohican Musings | LOTM Script | History | Musical Musings | Storefronts on the Frontier
Off the Beaten Trail | Links
Of Special Interest:
The Eric Schweig Gallery | From the Ramparts | The Listening Room | Against All Odds | The Video Clips Index

DISCLAIMER
Tune, 40, used by permission - composed by Ron Clarke

Custom Search

The Mohican Board! [Bumppo's Redux!] © 1997-2024 - Mohican Press Go To Top Of Page
Current Mohicanland page raised in 0.45 seconds Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.07