The Mohican Board! [Bumppo's Redux!]
The Mohican Board! [Bumppo's Redux!]
10/10/2024 9:23:44 AM
On the Trail...Home | Old Mohican Board Archives | Purpose
Events | Polls | Photos | Classifieds | Downloads
Profile | Register | Members | Private Messages
Search | Posting Tips | FAQ | Web Links | Mohican Chat | Blogs
Forum Bookmarks | Unanswered Posts | Preview Topic Photos | Active Topics
Invite a Friend to the Mohican Board | Guestbook | Greeting Cards | Auction (0) | Colonial Recipe Book
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 LAST OF THE MOHICANS
 The Last of the Mohicans ...
 Into Mohicans!
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
| More
Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Next Page

Author Previous Topic: A question of a different kind.... Topic Next Topic: For the Love of LOTM
Page: of 3

richfed
Sachem

King 1
USA

Bumppo's Patron since [at least]:
May 13 2002

Administrator

Posted - November 24 2002 :  5:47:49 PM  Show Profile  Visit richfed's Homepage  Click to see richfed's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Poll Question:
You can be any of the cast of characters in The Last of the Mohicans, as portrayed in the 1992 Michael Mann film, and live their life. Who would you be?

Feel free to comment as to why, below, if you care to!

Choices:

Alice
Chingachgook
Cora
Duncan
Great Sachem
Hawkeye
Jack
Magua
Montcalm
Munro
Uncas
Unknown body on the burial scaffold
Webb

report to moderator

morgaine
Pioneer

USA

May 19 2002

Posted - November 24 2002 :  10:08:12 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
Of course, because she is Hawkeye's beloved and who would not want to experience a love like that?
report to moderator Go to Top of Page

Sunshine
Pathfinder

indian warrior 2
USA

July 26 2002

Posted - November 25 2002 :  12:55:09 AM  Show Profile  Send Sunshine a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
Tough question. Alice or Uncas first occured to me. More Uncas than Alice. Than there was Hawkeye. I mean a chance to live in 2 worlds like that and the vast wilderness that stretches out before him. To be at peace with oneself. ahhh

In the end I read Morgaine's comments and than the romantic in me took over. Yes to experince a love like that. WOW

Dark Woods
Colonial Settler

Light House
USA

May 18 2002

Donating Member

Posted - November 25 2002 :  4:12:32 PM  Show Profile  Visit Dark Woods's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
I chose Magua because he could be relatively uninhibited in expressing his emotions.
Of course he had to await the proper time and place to express his frustrations, but he had wider latitude to "act out" so to speak.
In my own life, I need to let the Smilies express for me.

We become what we think about.

Vixen
Colonial Settler

Duncan

November 07 2002

Posted - November 25 2002 :  4:44:53 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
I was the loner that said the great sachem...that would be awesome to be the leader of a tribe, and have all that power. No, im not power hungry, but hey, you only live once.

"What are they doing to Duncan?!?"
-Cora Munro

richfed
Sachem

King 1
USA

May 13 2002

Administrator

Posted - November 26 2002 :  06:20:55 AM  Show Profile  Visit richfed's Homepage  Click to see richfed's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
After much thought - before I posted this poll - and temptation to vote for either Chingachgook or Hawkeye, I chose Duncan. Yes, Duncan! For all his faults, he made a remarkable turnaround in the end. He had the rare chance to make amends for everything & set all right. Rarer still, he took advantage of it - even though it came about through the ultimate sacrifice ... the giving of his life. You just have to admire the guy. He did what we all wish we could do ...

Diana
Pioneer

May 18 2002

Posted - November 26 2002 :  3:33:01 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
Gee, it was tough to decide. Frankly, I would have liked to have been one of Montcalm's lieutenants.

Diana

Ellie
Pioneer

mountain scene
United Kingdom

July 22 2002

Posted - November 28 2002 :  04:05:09 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
I chose Cora, mainly because she lives to see the end of the film! But more so becuase she is a strong woman who knows what she wants and to be so in love with someone that you turn your back on the lifestyle you know is a huge thing to do. Also, I would love to live in the Wilderness or at least experience it and I just admire everything about Cora. I guess, if I am honest it has a lot to do with the romantic element between herself and Hawkeye and who wouldnt want that???

Scott Bubar
Colonial Militia

USA

May 17 2002

Posted - November 28 2002 :  2:29:04 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by Dark Woods

I chose Magua because he could be relatively uninhibited in expressing his emotions.
Of course he had to await the proper time and place to express his frustrations, but he had wider latitude to "act out" so to speak.
In my own life, I need to let the Smilies express for me.

There are a lot of smilies out there, but I'm afraid I couldn't find one eating the heart of his enemy.

I'm a Magua fan also. In fact, he's my alter ego elsewhere.

But I'm thinking I might like to try out Montcalm and see if I can give that latinate voluptuousness thing a crack.

~~Aim small, miss small.

Pushmataha
Pathfinder

hawkeye's wampum sash
USA

October 20 2002

Posted - November 29 2002 :  03:46:30 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
I would be Uncas.. So I could kick Magua the twisted hearts butt... Well then we wouldn't have a movie would we....

-------------------------
"I think the Spirit, is the one thing we have to rely on. It has been handed to us as a live and precious coal. And each generation has to make that decision whether they want to blow on that coal to keep it alive or throw it away...Our language, our histories and culture are like a big ceremonial fire that's been kicked and stomped and scattered... Out in the darkness we can see those coals glowing. But our generation, whether in tribal government or wherever we find ourselves--Choctaw, Cherokee, Chickasaw, Creek, Seminole-- are coal gatherers. We bring the coals back, assemble them and breathe on them again, so we can spark a flame, around which we might warm ourselves." Gary White Deer, Chickasaw 1994

Chris
Colonial Settler

Hawkeye II
USA

May 25 2002

Posted - November 30 2002 :  7:30:03 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
I would like to vote, but no matter which button I push, it tells me I can't view the results before voting. I vote for Cora. She comes the closest to living the life I live now.
Chris

Donna
Colonial Settler

last of the mohicans
USA

May 17 2002

Posted - November 30 2002 :  10:25:33 PM  Show Profile  Visit Donna's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
I tried to vote too and it gives me the same error. Donna

Been onboard since 1998.

"Push hard, 'cos you got to clear the French outpost by dawn."

richfed
Sachem

King 1
USA

May 13 2002

Administrator

Posted - December 01 2002 :  06:33:06 AM  Show Profile  Visit richfed's Homepage  Click to see richfed's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
I'm fairly certain that this is a case [or two] of peeking at the results before voting. By design, that is how this Poll Add-On works. I've got ambiguous feelings on that, but that's the lay of the land ... NO PEEKING! Although Chris' "no matter which button I push" statement makes me think it is browser or cookie-related.

I see someone voted this AM, so I think the thing is working.

If anyone encounters this same problem - and you are sure you haven't ever looked at the results - drop me a line!

Vixen
Colonial Settler

Duncan

November 07 2002

Posted - December 07 2002 :  7:40:41 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
Rich, I am also a Duncan fan. He was my favorite character throughout the movie. I mean, you have to give some credit to the guy, he gave up his life for Cora, although she loved someone else, which Duncan could have easily exterminated by translating directly. But nay, he showed courage and spirit, and I honor him for that.

-Cora Munro

Chris
Colonial Settler

Hawkeye II
USA

May 25 2002

Posted - December 08 2002 :  12:12:02 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
Hi Rich,
I never peeked at the results before I tried to vote. In fact, I could never see the results at all!
Good to be back after a computer crash and the installation of a new motherboard.
Chris

Roxy
Pathfinder

Vampire
USA

December 08 2002

Posted - December 08 2002 :  10:46:35 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
hey, im kinda new here. hows it going everyone? anyways Uncas is by far my fav character but if i had to live someones life from the movie i'd be Montcalm, mainly b/c he doesnt die and hes one of the few Europeans who got to see the frontier, but also b/c i think it would be kinda cool to be french.

Vixen
Colonial Settler

Duncan

November 07 2002

Posted - December 10 2002 :  7:49:20 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
I know. I've always been wondering..."what would life be like if france won the war???" would we be the good old United States? Or some french colony/province? Another scary prospect, we'd all speak french! Imagine learning english in grade school? How weird would that be? I also think that it would be cool, a little scary, but cool, to see the "new land." imagine, just miles and miles of open wilderness waiting to be explored, with no known settlement in sight???

-Cora Munro

ladylight
Ye Olde Towne Crier

LadyLight
USA

May 17 2002

Posted - December 19 2002 :  5:48:35 PM  Show Profile  Visit ladylight's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply

Well..... my first impulse was to claim that I'd be Alice. Truth be told, she is not a bad character, and perhaps I'd have played her with more fire and brimstone, meaningful eye contacts, sad smiles beneath which you can see the (ah-hem!) sizzling sensuality of my nature, and so on. And for sure, some of you might remember that I argued in defense of her suicide, which I can perfectly understand, during the moment when you see a gallant man give up his life for you, you say: hell no, I won't live in a world full of meanies like Magua.
Indeed, indeed, Alice's Choice makes her tale so much more profound than the (almost standard-issue) fairy-tale ending of Cora.
But ... I am an old lady now, I am selfish, I want glory! Hence, I voted for Cora.

Your Favorite Auntie

Keneta
Pioneer

Uncas
USA

September 07 2002

Posted - December 27 2002 :  6:30:31 PM  Show Profile  Send Keneta a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
Ack, I would be a beautiful Huron woman at the village who wanders into the woods and manages to take Uncas's attention completely off Alice. I would flutter my eyelashes at him and lure him away from those cliffs, thereby keeping him alive and changing the title of the film to 'Next To The Last of the Mohicans'.

Keneta (SasaLucy)
"Life is too important to be taken seriously."

daire
Colonial Settler

USA

November 17 2002

Posted - December 28 2002 :  12:13:28 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
>>'Next To The Last of the Mohicans'.<<

ROFLMAO. You crack me up.

daire

mohicanwarrior
Pioneer

indian warrior
USA

October 08 2002

Posted - January 24 2003 :  4:51:59 PM  Show Profile  Click to see mohicanwarrior's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
I would have to say that I would be Uncas or Alice , I don't know why but If I really had to choose I think that they would fit be better. mohicanwarrior

Pen
Colonial Settler

February 03 2003

Posted - February 16 2003 :  3:14:31 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
Hi, All,

I don't see Alexandra Cameron's name listed. I would like to have been her, mainly because she was strong enough both to work as an indentured servant so she and John could get a place of their own, and to 'hack a living out of the wilderness with her own two hands', to paraphrase a bit.

It was clear to me that she loved her husband and family very much; but at the same time, I got the feeling that under different circumstances she would have gone with Uncas.

I've always had a penchant for minor characters because I get to fill in the blanks in their background.

Pen

chasis_22
Colonial Settler

Mohican Brothers
USA

April 19 2003

Posted - April 20 2003 :  5:26:10 PM  Show Profile  Send chasis_22 a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
I had to choose Alice! Even though her scene with Uncas was deleted you can still see that they have a love of their own. He gave his life trying to save her which was very awesome! I would love to have Uncas rescue me!!!!! She may have been portrayed as a helpless school girl but she shows that she has courage and strength at the end of the movie!

Gasaka Soquilla
Pioneer

Duel Heritage
USA

October 17 2002

Posted - June 15 2003 :  06:20:13 AM  Show Profile  Visit Gasaka Soquilla's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
At first I was going to choose the obvious, "Hawkeye", & for the obvious reasons (cool hair / cool rifle & he gets Cora).
But then I saw the "unknown body on the burial scaffold"... & I thought, "what's his story"?
I know Hawkeye's story, but maybe this guy had an even more interesting one?
My thought was though, okay, we could live their lives as portrayed in the movie, but the "unknown body on the burial scaffold"?
I could write my own story, live my own adventures, and who knows?
Maybe I'd still have cool hair, a cool rifle & get a beautiful woman in the end?

GasakaSoquilla
(Lighthorse)

Adjutant;
Joseph Brant's Volunteers
BAR Unit #225

Enchilada
Pathfinder

USA

December 07 2002

Posted - June 15 2003 :  10:45:09 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
I think I'd vote Cora.
She appeared to be so truly loved buy Hawkeye, and had the respect of so many. Let's not forget, she survives in the end!!! lol

Enchilada

Enchilada

guyjd
Lost in the Wilderness

USA

December 09 2002

Posted - June 17 2003 :  10:24:15 AM  Show Profile  Visit guyjd's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
Montcalm, fer sure. This guy knew how to be a general, and he did what he had to do for his king. Got to love the guy, even for a Frenchman. They could use a few like him in the present century. Second choice would be Hawkeye, of course. Be the man, get the girl, live to see the credits.

Joe D. Guy
Page: of 3 Previous Topic: A question of a different kind.... Topic Next Topic: For the Love of LOTM  
Next Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
| More
Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Jump To:

Around The Site:
~ What's New? ~
Pathfinding | Mohican Gatherings | Mohican Musings | LOTM Script | History | Musical Musings | Storefronts on the Frontier
Off the Beaten Trail | Links
Of Special Interest:
The Eric Schweig Gallery | From the Ramparts | The Listening Room | Against All Odds | The Video Clips Index

DISCLAIMER
Tune, 40, used by permission - composed by Ron Clarke

Custom Search

The Mohican Board! [Bumppo's Redux!] © 1997-2024 - Mohican Press Go To Top Of Page
Current Mohicanland page raised in 0.64 seconds Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.07