The Mohican Board! [Bumppo's Redux!]
The Mohican Board! [Bumppo's Redux!]
10/9/2024 2:27:10 PM
On the Trail...Home | Old Mohican Board Archives | Purpose
Events | Polls | Photos | Classifieds | Downloads
Profile | Register | Members | Private Messages
Search | Posting Tips | FAQ | Web Links | Mohican Chat | Blogs
Forum Bookmarks | Unanswered Posts | Preview Topic Photos | Active Topics
Invite a Friend to the Mohican Board | Guestbook | Greeting Cards | Auction (0) | Colonial Recipe Book
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 LAST OF THE MOHICANS
 The Last of the Mohicans ...
 Breakfast with Mohicans Poll
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
| More
Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Next Page

Author Previous Topic: the Rutgers campus Topic Next Topic: Of Pistols and Pockets
Page: of 3

susquesus
Mad Hermit of the North Woods

Susquesus
USA

Bumppo's Patron since [at least]:
September 03 2003

Posted - January 15 2005 :  10:36:58 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Poll Question:
Imagine you could step into Michael Mann's fantastic way back machine and arrive in the world as portrayed in the 1992 Last of the Mohicans film one week before the story begins. Given the option of spending one day in this world who would you most want to meet and eat breakfast with? What would you talk about, what would you ask them? For sake of this question pretend that you would appear in the proper attire and have knowledge of their particular language, customs, etc...

Choices:

Hawkeye
Chingachgook
Uncas
Alice Munro
Cora Munro
Duncan Heyward
Magua
Colonel Munro
General Montcalm
Jack Winthrop
Soldier #2
Huron Sachem
John Cameron
Alexandria Cameron
General Webb

report to moderator

Stephanie
Gathering Sachemess

Hiking Smurf Avatar
USA

June 23 2002

Donating Member

Posted - January 15 2005 :  11:31:23 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
Okay I voted for Soldier #2, so I could tell him to stay out of the cave!!!!!!!!

Stephanie
report to moderator Go to Top of Page

Jo
Sweetser 4 Rep

May 27 2002

Posted - January 16 2005 :  12:04:58 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
OH,OH Stephanie,
You missed your chance ! I'm here waiting with abaited breath, especially, forgive me, that MMMarcia isn't around; my heavens MR. Hawkeye; or DDL in the flesh; I've spoken to Chink; I've spoken at length to soldier #2; (Hi to you and yours if you're looking!); Magua I've been up in a room with him almost alone and came out alive, so there's that! and Uncas; hey, I've stood next to him and he held his arm around my side and I'm still here with a lot of breath (however, won't mention that moment, applause and all - it was GREAT!!!)...The ladies above in the poll... well I'll leave to the guys....
Jo

Marg222
Pathfinder

eye of the storm
Netherlands

January 21 2004

Posted - January 16 2005 :  1:38:43 PM  Show Profile  Visit Marg222's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
I vote for Uncas. Eric Schweig is the proof that I was born too late! In 1992 I was only euhm.. 8yrs old, so I would only see him as a brave person. But now I see more sides (did I spell this right?) of him, and I feel some sort of atracted to him. I'd like to see if he's got something in common with his character Uncas. I would ask him anything to know more about this mysterious person.

Well, I guess everyone wants that... hihi!

Love, Marge

I do not call myself subject too much at all... -Hawkeye

Carter
Colonial Militia

Tiger
USA

August 28 2003

Donating Member

Posted - January 17 2005 :  08:37:14 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
"Magua I've been up in a room with him almost alone and came out alive, so there's that!"

Ha! You kidnapped him, therefore giving him a dose of his own medicine after what he did to poor Alice and Uncas! BUT, he didn't have his knife with him, otherwise your adventure might have turned out differently!

Blessings,
Carter

Carter
Colonial Militia

Tiger
USA

August 28 2003

Donating Member

Posted - January 17 2005 :  08:40:08 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
Oh, yippee!! I see I am not the only one that voted for Magua!!

Bookworm
Colonial Militia

USA

February 10 2004

Donating Member

Posted - January 17 2005 :  2:51:32 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
I voted for Jack Winthrop because I think he's a very intriguing guy, and the movie gives us very little information about him. I'd like to know more about where he comes from (there's a sort of lilt to his voice when he says "we'll go to Albany"), and where he's going to. In fact, with regard to where he's going to, it would be even more interesting to talk to him a week after the events depicted in the movie, since by then he's decided that British rule over the colonials is tyranny....

Bookworm

"I've gotten so fascinated with the eighteenth century, I'm going to stay there." -- David McCullough

"Nothing to it, brother." -- Barack Obama

misschanelno5
Pioneer

USA

July 01 2004

Posted - January 17 2005 :  6:27:27 PM  Show Profile  Visit misschanelno5's Homepage  Send misschanelno5 an AOL message  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
Bookworm,

I chose Jack for the same reasons :) He's gutsy and interesting, with admirable courage to boot ... he seems the man to consult for "the scoop" on everything that would have been happening at the time.

"Anyone who lives within their means suffers from a lack of imagination."
"Arguments are to be avoided; they are always vulgar and often convincing."
-- Oscar Wilde

susquesus

Susquesus
USA

September 03 2003

Posted - January 17 2005 :  11:48:33 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
I went with Chingachgook here- he's just the coolest. He made Hawkeye and Uncas into what they became. He's probably not the greatest conversationalist, but the stories he could tell- Woof!

Wilderness Woman
Watcher of the Wood

Young George Washington
USA

November 27 2002

Donating Member

Posted - January 18 2005 :  08:43:08 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
I, too, went with Ching. Double Woof!

"It is more deeply stirring to my blood than any imaginings could possibly have been."

Stephanie
Gathering Sachemess

Hiking Smurf Avatar
USA

June 23 2002

Donating Member

Posted - January 18 2005 :  09:21:40 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
I'm surprised the Huron Sachem has no votes yet; he would have been my 2nd choice. Like Ching, probably not a great conversationalist but he could probably tell some great stories too!!
Too many good choices here!
Steph

Ellie
Pioneer

mountain scene
United Kingdom

July 22 2002

Posted - January 18 2005 :  11:16:59 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
I chose Hawkeye, and as I am having breakfast with him I assume I spent the night too... ;-)

Seriously though, I would love to learn about the Wilderness and how to survive and make a life in the great outdoors. Living in England there is nothing really to compare to the vast space you have in America and the idea of living off the land is so appealing - Hawkeye has all the practical skills for survival, along with a sharp wit, intelligence and physical strength.

susquesus

Susquesus
USA

September 03 2003

Posted - January 18 2005 :  3:12:55 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
Ellie, if you'd like to learn about a modern American man that has hacked a life out of the wilderness you should check out these links:

http://www.nps.gov/lacl/scrapbook/proeneke.htm

http://dickproenneke.com/DickProenneke.html

This guy built a log cabin from scratch with hand tools and lived in it for thirty years, started at age 51 and stayed until he was 82. He's definitely a worthy study. He filmed himself with a 16mm camera and tripod as he built the cabin. The movie, "Alone in the Wilderness" is fascinating and inspirational.

Doc M
Great Quack Healer of the Frontier

Wicked Unicorn
USA

May 17 2002

Posted - January 18 2005 :  3:55:43 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
It would be, of course, my snookie-wookie Hawkie-Wawkie, and there
would be no need for talk! None at all. Brief periods of whimpering
might be acceptable...and if he needed to have the handcuffs adjusted
I would, of course, listen courteously to such requests.
*fan! fan! fan!*

Doc M

Stephanie
Gathering Sachemess

Hiking Smurf Avatar
USA

June 23 2002

Donating Member

Posted - January 18 2005 :  5:13:35 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
No NO Doc M I think you misunderstood the question! It's not WHO would you like to have for breakfast, it's WITH whom you would like to have breakfast! Gosh your answer looks like Miss Piggy wrote it! I take it you're a morning person?? :-D
Teehee
Steph

Doc M

Wicked Unicorn
USA

May 17 2002

Posted - January 18 2005 :  6:11:22 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
Details! Details! Breakfast with, breakfast on...what do mere prepositions matter in affairs of the heart??? As Magua would
say, "Break a heart, take a heart...what's the diff?"

Doc M, a morning person??????!!!!!! It takes large intervenous
injections of pure caffeine to even cause my eyelids to quiver
minutely in the morning!! Dracula is more of a morning person!!!

Doc M

wlogwihlas
Pathfinder

Indian Party

September 25 2003

Posted - January 18 2005 :  6:15:39 PM  Show Profile  Send wlogwihlas a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
I voted for Magua under the assumption that it was a chat over breakfast, i figure i might learn some more history.
NOW
if it was a chat during dinner that lead to breakfast.......Cora would have to be the one i would "converse: with.....m'kay.

hollow square...Now!!!
You probably are wondering why we are all gathered here today.
Look boys, we captured an "it".

Stephanie
Gathering Sachemess

Hiking Smurf Avatar
USA

June 23 2002

Donating Member

Posted - January 18 2005 :  6:59:09 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
Hmmm now that reply sounded a little like Pepe the Prawn m'kay I'm sure he would like to get his little tentacles on Miss Cora m'kay? Maybe Cora would like to have a little shrimp for breakfest, eh?

Steph<---probably should visit the Muppet board at some point

Ellie
Pioneer

mountain scene
United Kingdom

July 22 2002

Posted - January 19 2005 :  04:13:05 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
Susquesus, thank you SO much for those links. What an incredible man and beautiful pictures. I am actually planning a trip to Alaska next year and this just confirms absolutely my determination to go.
Thanks again :-)

rydergrl
Colonial Settler

Pisces
USA

November 03 2003

Posted - January 21 2005 :  06:33:12 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
I'm giving Hawkeye my vote for a breakfast partner. I figure he would catch/kill it; skin/skewer it; cook and serve it and we'd still have time to enjoy a ride on the lake in a "borrowed" canoe.

What you give of yourself is priceless.

mohicanwarrior
Pioneer

indian warrior
USA

October 08 2002

Posted - January 23 2005 :  10:04:28 PM  Show Profile  Click to see mohicanwarrior's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
I voted for Uncas, just because he is the most mysterious to me, and I would like to pick his brain just to see what he is thinking. My second choice would be Alice

Oneida
Pathfinder

Huron 3
USA

February 07 2004

Posted - January 24 2005 :  12:12:10 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
I voted for Maugua also. Since I do an Oneida persona,
he is my role model. Besides, Wes appears to be a very
likeable guy.

Dark Woods
Colonial Settler

Light House
USA

May 18 2002

Donating Member

Posted - January 26 2005 :  2:14:04 PM  Show Profile  Visit Dark Woods's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
I would like to speak with Alexandra because she is a beautiful woman. It is unfortunate that we don't see more of her in the movie. She, in my opinion embodies courage and grace.

What would I say to Alexandra? This question comes to mind: "What motivated you to leave where you grew up, and go to live among the hardships and dangers of the frontier?"

I wonder what she would say?

We become what we think about.

Christina
Deerslayer

Vampire
USA

May 27 2002

Posted - January 27 2005 :  12:08:54 PM  Show Profile  Visit Christina's Homepage  Send Christina an AOL message  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
I, of course, vote for Hawkeye, and while I'm sure we would have a very nutritious and lovely breakfast that he helped to catch/skin/skewer, I have to say very honestly that our morning repast would be very reminiscent of that described above by Doc M. I like to think I'm a deeper person than this, but then, it's Hawkeye. Breechclouts at the breakfast table...
my glasses are steaming up...

See this face? This is the face of a woman on the edge.
Whoopi Goldberg, "Jumping Jack Flash"

Doc M

Wicked Unicorn
USA

May 17 2002

Posted - January 27 2005 :  1:59:58 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
A woman after my own heart is Red! I mean, sharing thoughts and
cuddling and eating bowls of hearty fibrous things is all very well,
but we're talking about a steaming hunka-hunka of muscle mass
with long wavy black hair wearing a breechclout here!!!
Hoo-Hah!! Let the games begin!!!!

Doc M

Lurking Huron4388
Anonymous Guest

November 27 2002

Posted - January 27 2005 :  4:07:10 PM  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
I would really enjoy talkin with Soldier #2. What are his thoughts of fighting the French and the Indians in America?
How does he feel about the Americans?
Where does he come from?
Was he married ?
What kind of life did he have in England?
What does he think of his offiers?
Page: of 3 Previous Topic: the Rutgers campus Topic Next Topic: Of Pistols and Pockets  
Next Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
| More
Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Jump To:

Around The Site:
~ What's New? ~
Pathfinding | Mohican Gatherings | Mohican Musings | LOTM Script | History | Musical Musings | Storefronts on the Frontier
Off the Beaten Trail | Links
Of Special Interest:
The Eric Schweig Gallery | From the Ramparts | The Listening Room | Against All Odds | The Video Clips Index

DISCLAIMER
Tune, 40, used by permission - composed by Ron Clarke

Custom Search

The Mohican Board! [Bumppo's Redux!] © 1997-2024 - Mohican Press Go To Top Of Page
Current Mohicanland page raised in 0.7 seconds Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.07