The Mohican Board! [Bumppo's Redux!]
The Mohican Board! [Bumppo's Redux!]
10/9/2024 4:22:24 PM
On the Trail...Home | Old Mohican Board Archives | Purpose
Events | Polls | Photos | Classifieds | Downloads
Profile | Register | Members | Private Messages
Search | Posting Tips | FAQ | Web Links | Mohican Chat | Blogs
Forum Bookmarks | Unanswered Posts | Preview Topic Photos | Active Topics
Invite a Friend to the Mohican Board | Guestbook | Greeting Cards | Auction (0) | Colonial Recipe Book
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 LAST OF THE MOHICANS
 The Last of the Mohicans ...
 Breakfast with Mohicans Poll
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
| More
Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Previous Page | Next Page

Author Previous Topic: the Rutgers campus Topic Next Topic: Of Pistols and Pockets
Page: of 3

Fitz Williams
Colonial Militia

USA

Bumppo's Patron since [at least]:
May 19 2002

Posted - January 27 2005 :  6:04:31 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
quote:
I would really enjoy talkin with Soldier #2.

If you have been at Louise's Rockhouse Restaurant this summer you could have!
report to moderator Go to Top of Page

caitlin
Bumppos Tavern Patron

MMBrand
USA

May 17 2002

Donating Member

Posted - January 27 2005 :  6:24:14 PM  Show Profile  Visit caitlin's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
Awww! Don't tease us with the fact you were able to go! Not fair!

Jack McCall: "Should we shake hands or something, relieve the atmosphere. I mean how stupid do you think I am?"
Wild Bill Hickok: "I don't know, I just met you."

"A nation with no regard to it's past will have little future worth remembering."
A.Lincoln

"Enjoy the little things, for one day you may look back and realize that they were the big things"

silentthunder
Pioneer

Hawkeye 4
USA

December 15 2004

Posted - January 28 2005 :  01:30:47 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
I would have to choose Chingachgook. I would ask him to tell me stories about himself, his father, and his father's people. He has knowledge that can't be found in books. He is a magnetic speaker, and has many tales to speak of.

Mitaku Oyasin...
We are all related

SgtMunro
Soldier of the King

Knight
USA

September 23 2002

Donating Member

Posted - February 04 2005 :  8:50:21 PM  Show Profile  Visit SgtMunro's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
Since we are talking about both parties being 'in-character', I voted for the Huron Sachem. My reason is that of all the characters, he displayed the 'Wisdom of Solomon' in.re. he managed to give all concerned parties something, but not total victory to any one. I thought that his character should have been given a larger role in the story, since I find him fascinating.

Your Most Humble Servant,

Serjeant-Major Duncan Munro
Capt. Thos. Graham's Coy.
42nd Royal Highland Regiment of Foote
(The Black Sheep of the Black Watch)

"Nemo Me Impune Lacessit"
-Or-
"Recruit locally, fight globally."

Light of the Moon
Mohicanland Statesman

Car in Fog
USA

December 18 2004

Posted - February 07 2005 :  12:58:48 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
I voted for Chingachcook. There is so much to learn from elders. You'd be amazed just in listening to them how much smarter it makes you.

I live in my own little world - but that's okay, they know me here!

Christina
Deerslayer

Vampire
USA

May 27 2002

Posted - February 07 2005 :  1:50:40 PM  Show Profile  Visit Christina's Homepage  Send Christina an AOL message  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
I agree wholeheartedly with Light of the Moon...it's only been in the past five years I've realized how lucky I am to have my dad and a lot of his peers still around to listen to. I've learned more from those "Greatest Generation" folks than I ever thought I would, and I've had to admit they WERE right in a lot of the things they told me...yep, Ching and the Sachem were some valuable guys...they'd be well worth a long breakfast chat.

See this face? This is the face of a woman on the edge.
Whoopi Goldberg, "Jumping Jack Flash"

mountainheart
Pathfinder

The Kiss 2
USA

February 23 2005

Donating Member

Posted - February 23 2005 :  2:40:25 PM  Show Profile  Visit mountainheart's Homepage  Send mountainheart a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
I voted for Cora - I connect with her on so many levels - but to know what it's like to have my soul touched by a man on that depth. Wow!

"Oh the depth of the human experience!"

Rainhair
Pathfinder

Alice
USA

February 21 2005

Posted - February 23 2005 :  6:31:40 PM  Show Profile  Visit Rainhair's Homepage  Send Rainhair an AOL message  Click to see Rainhair's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
My choice would either be Chingachgook or Uncas. I think it'd be very interesting to talk to them about things, and it's not just because they're the last two of their kind.

The leaves were long
The grass was green
The hemlock-umbels tall and fair
And in the glade a light was seen
Of stars and shadow shimmering

Lurking Huron1444
Anonymous Guest

November 27 2002

Posted - March 19 2005 :  01:25:31 AM  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
While Alice is a tad on the young side, - why not? That of course assumes we spent the night together also. I think any questions etc. would have already been answered by that time.

Graybeard Longhunter
Pathfinder

USA

June 23 2004

Posted - March 19 2005 :  1:03:43 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply

I went with Chingachgook.

Maybe he could teach me to do that forward roll that he does.

chasis_22
Colonial Settler

Mohican Brothers
USA

April 19 2003

Posted - March 20 2005 :  3:42:59 PM  Show Profile  Send chasis_22 a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
I voted for Chingachgook but I would want Uncas there too. Mainly Chingachgook because he is such a wise and amazing spirit. I would love to sit down and talk with him about his childhood when there were more Mohicans around. That is also a reason why I would want Uncas there. I would want to compare their childhoods. See how the diminishing tribe altered. I hope that makes sense.

RedFraggle
Mohicanite

Redhead

October 13 2006

Posted - August 05 2008 :  1:43:43 PM  Show Profile  Visit RedFraggle's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
Interesting that our "Featured Poll" question is from way back in 2005. A good question, though. I voted for Magua because I'd like to know more about his background. Might make for a very interesting conversation.

James N.
Colonial Militia

James N
USA

October 24 2007

Posted - August 06 2008 :  8:06:04 PM  Show Profile  Send James N. a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
Of course I wasn't aware of the Forum back in '05, so couldn't have responded then. But to answer it NOW, my choice would definitely be M. Marquis de Montcalm. ( I didn't pick my avatar for this site by any kind of accident or just because it's "on set"! ) He's generally portrayed ( in history, NOT the movie ) as one of THE genuine heroes of the French & Indian War, right along with Wolfe, Boquet, Lord Howe, and not least someone who puts poor Hawkeye to shame: Sir William Johnson. ( All you ladies drooling over Hawkeye, Uncas, Cinch - even poor Magua - BADLY need to learn about this "real man" of the frontier! ) He's the historical figure of the period I'd REALLY like to talk to; but as he's not on the list for obvious reasons, I'll stick with Montcalm.

Of course this would have to be in an "ideal" situation, since when I had the opportunity to talk with his latter-day counterpart, Patrice Cherau, I was unable due to my very limited Francais. Assuming universality of language, I'd like to hear from him all the underhanded dirty dealings of his unwilling cohorts back in Montreal and Quebec. Also his take on the "sauvages" he was forced to work with. I always thought he got a very raw deal in the whole business of the war; I'd like to see if I'm right.

Fitzhugh Williams
Mohicanland Statesman

July 17 2005

Posted - August 07 2008 :  09:42:19 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
During the 250th anniversary events of the F&I War, Montcalm has been represented by Baron Georges Savarin de Marestan who is a descendant of Montcalm through Montcalm's sister, and the current owner of Montcalm's estate, Saint-Vran. He will also be present at the 250th anniversary of the Plains of Abraham next summer, and will be portraying Montcalm. As part of the event, a notification was posted for those interested in being a part of the "Garde Rapproche du Marquis de Montcalm". So naturally I raised my hand. At Louisbourg I met with those in charge and found that there will be very intensive training requiring me at times to be in Quebec starting in January. Of course this schedule meant that I could not do it, but there is some possibility that I may be involved with other aspects of these special duties.

So, the reality of the accessibility of Montcalm, and his interaction with those around him, is very different that that presented in LOTM. The almost casual atmosphere will not exist and access to Montcalm (Marestan) will be very limited. In additon to the Garde Rapproche there will be other guards whose principal duty it is to limit any access to him. It will be highly structured. I guess this shouldn't have come as a surprise to me, but in a way it did. Nevertheless, I do still hope that I can be involved, perhaps as one of the guards? We will see.

The downside of being involved at this level is that it limits my involvement with my unit. I am not sure the trade off is worth it, since I have been acting is something of a command position with their detachments (something I once swore I would never do).

PS: Please pardon the misspelling of Rapproche as the board will not allow the accent on the final "e".

"Les deux pieds contre la muraille et la tete sous le robinet"

James N.
Colonial Militia

James N
USA

October 24 2007

Posted - August 11 2008 :  8:28:08 PM  Show Profile  Send James N. a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
This was one of my observations during and since the production: only the Troupes de la Marine were represented in the film. You have just confirmed my assumption that they did NOT provide his actual Guarde d'Honneur, as we were forced to do because of the limitations of wardrobe only having the one basic impression. Props DID have the colors for other regiments d'Terre for use in the Parley scene; but all had to be carried by Marines! It stands to reason that a member of the nobility as well as a Eureopean general who just happens to command all the ground forces in the entire lands of New France *might* just have a little more formality about his person than indicated in the film!

This contrast between the usual arrogance as indicated by the character of Gen. Webb in the movie and the actual casualness of Lord George Augustis Howe later at Ft. Carillion ( Ticonderoga ) explains why he in particular was so beloved by the American colonial troops serving with him up to the point of his untimely death. Monuments were raised to his memory here; and less than 20 years later, the Revolutionaries found it difficult to believe he was the elder brother of the new Lord "Black Dick" Howe and Gen. "Sir Billy" who had come to subjagate them in the name of King George III. This type of European was truly exceptional in the experience of the colonists.

Fitzhugh Williams
Mohicanland Statesman

July 17 2005

Posted - August 12 2008 :  11:35:36 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
I think the real Webb was probably worse than the depiction in LOTM. But strangely enough he kept getting promoted.

Wilderness Woman
Watcher of the Wood

Young George Washington
USA

November 27 2002

Donating Member

Posted - August 12 2008 :  11:47:36 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
But, of course! The Peter Principle worked even in 1757!

"It is more deeply stirring to my blood than any imaginings could possibly have been."

Fitzhugh Williams
Mohicanland Statesman

July 17 2005

Posted - August 12 2008 :  1:39:35 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
I won't ask what that is.

Obediah
Mohicanland Statesman

Skull 5
USA

August 16 2006

Donating Member

Posted - August 12 2008 :  1:54:02 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
It has something to do with envy, I think...

Remember, back then in the British army, officers purchased their commissions--it had nothing to do with merit.

winglo
Deerslayer

USA

July 13 2007

Donating Member

Posted - August 12 2008 :  2:20:57 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by Wilderness Woman

But, of course! The Peter Principle worked even in 1757!

Yep, WW.

Obi, The Peter Principle says that people get promoted to their level of incompetence. Then they no longer get promoted and sit in a job they can't do for the rest of their career. . .you know, like all those people you've probably worked with in the past who are totally incompetent!

Obediah
Mohicanland Statesman

Skull 5
USA

August 16 2006

Donating Member

Posted - August 12 2008 :  2:45:36 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
Yes, wing, I know what the "Peter Principle" is. Believe me, I'm glad that I'm retired! At the last place I worked, aka "The Evil Place," it wasn't my co-workers who were that way too much. It was the two owners of the company! The stories I could tell...but no-one else needs to be that depressed.

Fitzhugh Williams
Mohicanland Statesman

July 17 2005

Posted - August 12 2008 :  2:52:27 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by winglo

[quote]
Obi, The Peter Principle says that people get promoted to their level of incompetence. Then they no longer get promoted and sit in a job they can't do for the rest of their career. . .you know, like all those people you've probably worked with in the past who are totally incompetent!

Yeah, but Webb kept on getting promoted way past his level of incompetency.

James N.
Colonial Militia

James N
USA

October 24 2007

Posted - August 13 2008 :  3:50:53 PM  Show Profile  Send James N. a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
If you look at this entire period ( including the Revolution ), the custom seems to have been to "reward" senior commanders for their "services", regardless just how execerable those may have been! The prime example of this is the HORRIBLE British General Abercrombie, called "Nabby-Crombie" by his unfortunate troops; who was responsible for slaughtering so many of them in the notorious failed assaults on Ft. Carrillion/Ticonderoga. Even during the Revolution most commanders ( like Howe & Burgoyne ) were eventually exonerated and promoted; Sir Henry Clinton being the only exception that comes to mind.

Usually this had a political basis: many ( again like Howe & Burgoyne ) were members of a not-always-so-loyal opposition party that the Monarch continued to cultivate. I'm currently reading a lot of WWII German history and find the same pattern with Hitler: those who displeased him were usually promoted, decorated, and RETIRED with honors.

Fitzhugh Williams
Mohicanland Statesman

July 17 2005

Posted - August 13 2008 :  5:52:43 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
Abercrombie, like Braddock, was not as bad as he was painted. Where he really failed was to insure that his orders were followed. His subordinates acted on their own and mostly ignored his orders, then later made excuses. If anyone deserves to be blamed it is Robert Rogers. He was supposed to be providing a skirmish line for de Lancey's New York Regiment, but as soon as Stark contacted the French advanced line, Rogers went off to join him, leaving de Lancey with no protection. So thinking the Rangers were still in front of them, the New Yorkers walked right into the main French fortifications. Then hearing the firing, Haviland's brigade went in support of de Lancey as did the 42nd. And the whole battle got out of control. Had Rogers bothered to follow orders, the outcome might have been quite different. But Rogers never made a practice of doing the right thing, and Ticonderoga was no exception.

winglo
Deerslayer

USA

July 13 2007

Donating Member

Posted - August 13 2008 :  6:06:52 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
I don't claim to have much knowledge about the British military--either current or past. But, weren't those with money able to buy themselves an officer's commission? If so, I guess we shouldn't be surprised that incompetence would exist among the officers and that it would be even be rewarded, right?
Page: of 3 Previous Topic: the Rutgers campus Topic Next Topic: Of Pistols and Pockets  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
| More
Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Jump To:

Around The Site:
~ What's New? ~
Pathfinding | Mohican Gatherings | Mohican Musings | LOTM Script | History | Musical Musings | Storefronts on the Frontier
Off the Beaten Trail | Links
Of Special Interest:
The Eric Schweig Gallery | From the Ramparts | The Listening Room | Against All Odds | The Video Clips Index

DISCLAIMER
Tune, 40, used by permission - composed by Ron Clarke

Custom Search

The Mohican Board! [Bumppo's Redux!] © 1997-2024 - Mohican Press Go To Top Of Page
Current Mohicanland page raised in 0.42 seconds Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.07