The Mohican Board! [Bumppo's Redux!]
The Mohican Board! [Bumppo's Redux!]
10/1/2024 12:29:00 PM
On the Trail...Home | Old Mohican Board Archives | Purpose
Events | Polls | Photos | Classifieds | Downloads
Profile | Register | Members | Private Messages
Search | Posting Tips | FAQ | Web Links | Mohican Chat | Blogs
Forum Bookmarks | Unanswered Posts | Preview Topic Photos | Active Topics
Invite a Friend to the Mohican Board | Guestbook | Greeting Cards | Auction (0) | Colonial Recipe Book
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 COLONIAL TIMES
 The Muster
 I'm almost a...
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
| More
Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Previous Page | Next Page

Author Previous Topic: Battle of Culloden, May 19-21, Ft. Loudoun, PA Topic Next Topic: Rather SpecialTransitional long rifle for sale
Page: of 4

SgtMunro
Soldier of the King

Knight
USA

Bumppo's Patron since [at least]:
September 23 2002

Donating Member

Posted - August 05 2004 :  6:55:40 PM  Show Profile  Visit SgtMunro's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
quote:
Seamus writes: AND....sunscreen, for sure, 45 for me, and a wide-brimmed hat 'off duty' is common practice.

Always good advice for anyone. The sun is not something to be triffled with...

Your Most Humble Servant,

Serjeant-Major Duncan Munro
Capt. Thos. Graham's Coy.
42nd Royal Highland Regiment of Foote
(The Black Sheep of the Black Watch)

"Nemo Me Impune Lacessit"
-Or-
"Recruit locally, fight globally."
report to moderator Go to Top of Page

Wilderness Woman
Watcher of the Wood

Young George Washington
USA

November 27 2002

Donating Member

Posted - September 01 2004 :  08:34:54 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
Well, the 225th Anniversary of the Battle of Newtown is now finished and it was a roaring success!

I will post some thoughts on my experiences as I worked the event soon, but for now here is a link that will take you to the Elmira Star-Gazette website.

Newtown 225th Articles and Photos

There are many links on this page to stories about the event and about the Expedition. The paper had an entire section in their Saturday edition that told all kinds of background information, maps, Who's Who, etc. It was wonderful.

Be sure to look at the Photo Galleries. There are some absolutely gorgeous photos!

Enjoy!

"It is more deeply stirring to my blood than any imaginings could possibly have been."

Jacy
Colonial Settler

United Kingdom

August 12 2004

Posted - September 01 2004 :  08:46:21 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
Hi,

you look fab! - I've always wanted to see what I would look like in costume.... the closest I got was half going into a shop in Disney that did old fashioned costume for photos!

And Cora Munro look out!

Jacy x

Wilderness Woman
Watcher of the Wood

Young George Washington
USA

November 27 2002

Donating Member

Posted - September 04 2004 :  11:32:59 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
A dear friend has asked me if I am now "terminally hooked." The answer to that is a resounding "Yes! I am." Although I had to work and was not able to fully participate as I would have liked, just being there and being involved was the chance of a lifetime for me. What did I like? Let me tell you. The days were hectic, full of people and cars and answering questions and, yes, dealing with complaints. But after the public had gone home and the evening approached...

There was the peace and the quiet as campfires were lit and meals were cooked.

There was the lovely, fragrant smell of maple and oak woodsmoke.

There was the sound of quiet voices coming from the camps as people gathered to share a meal and conversation.

There were the lights from the lodge spilling out into the dark, and the sounds of music and laughter coming from the 18th century tavern therein.

There were lanterns bobbing through the darkness, as people dressed in the attire of another time walked through the camps.

There was the early morning and rising before dawn and watching the sun rise through the misty forest, and seeing others moving about to stir up the coals of the fires for breakfast, and preparing to greet the day.

There was the intense feeling of closeness to my ancestresses as I tightened the laces of my stays and dressed in the same layers of linen that they must have worn.

There was walking through the park and saying a return Good Morning to those I met along the way.

There was watching the big battle on Sunday and imagining Grandfather Cornelius was marching and shooting his musket on that hillside, and wondering what he would have thought had he known that 225 years later his 4th Great-granddaughter would be standing there and quietly and privately celebrating his sacrifices, his military career, and his life.

Above all, there was the strong wanting to belong to this wonderful hobby... to this life; wishing I were younger so that starting out wouldn't feel so impossible. If I am fortunate enough to have the opportunity to do this again, that will be very fine. But if I don't, I am content that I have done it once.

And quite truly...

"It is more deeply stirring to my blood than any imaginings could possibly have been."

Fitz Williams
Colonial Militia

USA

May 19 2002

Posted - September 05 2004 :  09:05:53 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
quote:
If I am fortunate enough to have the opportunity to do this again, that will be very fine. But if I don't, I am content that I have done it once.

You can do it all you want. There are events everywhere, all the time. Some are better than others, but most are what you make of them. Guilford Courthouse is in a public park, but at night, sitting around the campfire with the First Maryland, it becomes something different. And walking along the road on a cold night, and seeing figures coming toward you in great coats carring lanterns, you are really somewhere else.

Wilderness Woman
Watcher of the Wood

Young George Washington
USA

November 27 2002

Donating Member

Posted - September 05 2004 :  12:10:36 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by Fitz Williams
You can do it all you want.

Well, unfortunately, it is not that simple for me, Fitz. It's different for a woman than it is for a man.

1. I don't have any equipment other than two outfits of clothing. I had thought that if I were to become more involved, I would become a sutler, but I don't have the finances available to me to begin purchasing things like a tent and all of the other things I would need to even begin.

2. My husband is not at all interested. Therefore, that makes me an unattached woman and I understand that many, if not most, re-enacting units will not allow an unattached woman to join.

3. I can sew, but would have to use a machine for nearly all of it, and many, if not most, units require things to be hand sewn.

4. I have no other viable 18th century skill or trade that would allow me to be accepted as a "useable" member.

5. I have family obligations that prevent me from doing very much gallavanting around the Eastern seaboard, not to mention a 10 year old car that makes me a little nervous about venturing more than two hours away from home.

So you see... volunteering at events seems to be the only way for me to go. Here in New York, there is Newtown once a year, and there is the Herkimer Home and the Oriskany Battlefield in the Mohawk Valley. That will probably have to be enough to sustain my 18th century life.

Sigh.

Kurt
Mohicanite

The Old Trapper
USA

September 27 2003

Posted - September 05 2004 :  3:56:00 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
It might be simpler in some ways for a man to participate in a reenactment but doing the half hour of roadwork five times a week and the weightlifting three times a week to try to have the stamina and strength neede might make a fellow over fifty question his sanity. To wear all those wool clothes (not that I've assembled much more than smallclothes yet) while lugging ten pounds of bess and another ten pounds of hawk and cartidge box and canteen with water while running through waist high brush only to take a knee, spring up, run to the other side of the field, take a knee, spring up, run back to where you started takes a lot out of a fellow. You are so busy sweating you don't see what is going on.

Becoming a sutler makes it a job! Don't rush that! If you need to make some gas money, put out a blanket and arrange a few things on it. Chauncey usually puts out a couple of bolts of fabric when she has a few minutes. If someone was to sew up a few linen work caps (looks like a knit watch cap only made of cloth panels) I think they would move.

While we all strive to improve the "correctness" of our impressions, most folks I have met are patient and generous. No need to start from perfection.

Being anything from a water molly to a narrator might not seem like much to some but these people are the reason why an event runs smoothly. If noone watches the cook fire while the battle is raging on Saturday, how are you going to field anyone on Sunday? Rest assured, you are a participant. We just got to find someone for you to carpool with.

How far are you from Johnson Hall? The Market Fair in the spring welcomes walk-ons and several members of this bboard were there this year.

After the public has gone home and before they arrive is the most fun part of reenacting.

Yr. obt. svt.
Kurt

Fitz Williams
Colonial Militia

USA

May 19 2002

Posted - September 05 2004 :  4:11:35 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
1. You don't need any equipment. You can go for the day only.

2. My wife has no interest either. And our unit would not object to anyone who wanted to recreate the 18th Century. Besides, you don't need to be in a unit. Many of the events I attend, I am not part of a unit. But units always need help.

3. Many of the better known vendors sew with a machine. Some even say that is the best way to recreate the small, even stitches of the 18th century seamstress.

4. "Skills? We ain't got no skills! We don't need no skills. I don't have to show you any stinkin' skills!" Love that movie!!! But fact is that you can check the block called "Program Interpreter", because that is what you are. You are an 18th Century woman, and quite well enough informed to answer any questions from the public. Women are usually under represented and most sites I know would be glad to have you.

5. I bet the family does things without you. And my Jeep is 18 years old.

So you see, I have an answer for everything. So quit thinking up reasons why you can't and "just do it".

Wilderness Woman
Watcher of the Wood

Young George Washington
USA

November 27 2002

Donating Member

Posted - September 05 2004 :  5:37:01 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
[WW runs, dodging musket balls and tripping over her petticoats, to the nearest tree to hide behind.]

Uncle! Uncle!!

You both have given me much food for thought. Yes, I know that old saying: "Where there's a will, there's a way." Well, I definitely have the will, so there must be a way. I just have to find it.

Actually, Kurt, I do hope to make it up to the Johnson Hall Market Fair next spring. Reading what you and Seamus had to say last spring made it sound very interesting, and it is within my "two-hour drive frame." (Well, maybe a little longer, but not too much.) But you see... I don't want to do just a one day thing. I want to be able to hang around after the public leaves and experience all of the things I described above. Perhaps I will see if I can save my pennies and stay in a motel. I will have to work on that!

Thanks for all of the encouragement.

Kurt
Mohicanite

The Old Trapper
USA

September 27 2003

Posted - September 05 2004 :  8:02:43 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
Ah yes, tenting tonight at the old camp grounds!

If you don't mind tents, it's a cheap weekend. The wedge tents aren't THAT expensive and cots are de rigueur and at least one of your friends would be glad to find a spot on the company street to pitch it.

There has to be a place to put the cars so there's usually "modern" camping, too.

Yr. obt. svt.
Kurt

Fitz Williams
Colonial Militia

USA

May 19 2002

Posted - September 05 2004 :  8:25:09 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
quote:
cots are de rigueur

You should try a rope bed. I made on last fall, and it's the best thing I have ever slept on. Materials are cheap (2x4's and rope) and it's completely PC! Only thing, it can be a little bulky to transport, but I have carried it to Fort Toulouse in my Jeep Tsalagi.

CT•Ranger
Colonial Militia

indian ... nicholas
USA

October 14 2002

Posted - September 05 2004 :  10:53:55 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
Also there's a couple small events at Fort Johnson (William Johnson's house during the F&I war) in Amsterdam and the Mabee Farm (one of the oldest Dutch houses in NY) in Rotterdam Junction. Both in the Mohawk Valley about two hours from the Binghamton area. I attended both these events this summer as a "civilian."

YMHS,
Connecticut•Ranger
Thomas Thacher

Wilderness Woman
Watcher of the Wood

Young George Washington
USA

November 27 2002

Donating Member

Posted - September 06 2004 :  09:01:25 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
Hi CT-R,

I am not familiar with the Mabee Farm. I will have to find out more about that. Thanks!

There is also Fort Klock at St. Johnsville, that has a couple of small events each summer. Usually the Tryon County Militia appears there, and sometimes there are some British and Native groups.

Have you made it to the Herkimer Home and the Oriskany Battlefield yet? Did you come to Newtown?

CT•Ranger
Colonial Militia

indian ... nicholas
USA

October 14 2002

Posted - September 06 2004 :  11:03:52 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
The Jan Mabee house is just west of Schenectady, and is the oldest in the Mohawk Valley, built about 1670-80. Also on the farm is the Nilson Barn, a restored Dutch barn originally built around the 1760s.

http://www.schist.org/mabee.htm
http://www.schist.org/nilsen.htm

The Mabee Farm also has a replica bateau which is often manned by members of the 2nd Albany County Militia and of Schuyler's Company of New York Provincials.

http://www.secondalbany.org/albany_bateau.html

I have not been to the Herkimer Home, Oriskany or Newtown yet, although I've passed by all three sites several times on my travels.

I've been out of action for awhile as far as reenacting goes, with college and a couple moves to different states, but now that that's all done with I'm hoping to get back in the game soon. Especially now that I'm in NY, surrounded by so many great sites and reenactments. And the best part is that my wife is excited to begin reenacting as well.

YMHS,
Connecticut•Ranger
Thomas Thacher

Wilderness Woman
Watcher of the Wood

Young George Washington
USA

November 27 2002

Donating Member

Posted - October 17 2005 :  5:07:24 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
Well, many months have passed since I opened this thread with my first post. Many things have happened in my life during that time. I have had to make some very sad announcements and have had to deal with much stress, sadness and grief. But now, I very pleased to make a most happy announcement! I am, now, officially...... a Re-enactor! Huzzah!

I have presented my application for membership in The 3rd Battalion Pennsylvania (The Augusta Regiment), Burd's Company. If this name sounds familiar to anyone, it should. This is the very Regiment that is proud to have as its Captain our own Mike Slease (aka Seamus MacWilliam)! www.homestead.com/augustaregt/

This weekend past, I attended my first full-weekend event with the Regiment, as an applicant, at Fort Ligonier. I stayed in the recreated Junior Officer's cabin with them (yes, ladies and gents all in one cabin!), ate meals with them, laughed and chatted with them, sampled the Port with the good Captain , and survived wearing stays for 15 hours each day ! It was wonderful and I am more than ever in love with this whole business.

It was also my extreme pleasure to finally meet Sjt. Malcolm MacWilliam, although very briefly as he was involved with soldiering much of the time.

I am told that for my first full event, Ligonier Days is a good one. I found it to be a well-run event with lots going on, both inside the fort and out in the streets of the little town. (They have just about the largest arts and crafts fair I have ever seen!)

Several of us also took advantage of the close proximity to Pittsburgh and traveled to see the "Clash of the Empires" display at the Heinz History Center. It is an absolutely breathtaking display of artifacts, paintings, and the history of the French and Indian War, and it was very difficult to tear ourselves away. www.pghhistory.org/Heinz_Empires.asp

I am so very grateful to Capt. Slease (Seamus) for giving me this opportunity to fulfill a dream. I haven't been this happy in many months. Thank you, Captain!

Gadget Girl
Gatherer of Gathering Gadgets

Winking Lady
USA

May 17 2002

Donating Member

Posted - October 17 2005 :  5:13:26 PM  Show Profile  Send Gadget Girl an AOL message  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
That is VERY cool, Joyce. I envy your proximity to the region and yes, Madam, you are in FINE company! Way to Go!!!!!

GG

Kaylynn44
Mohicanite

Sunset
USA

July 13 2002

Donating Member

Posted - October 17 2005 :  5:15:53 PM  Show Profile  Visit Kaylynn44's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
Congratulations Joyce!!!!! It is great that you are doing something that you really love doing.

Love,
Kay

~ An Infinite Zephyr~
Some things never end
As long as goodness exists
Winds shall always soothe

www.cloudsbooks.com

Seamus
Guardian of Heaven's Gate

Skull 2
USA

May 19 2002

Posted - October 17 2005 :  5:26:04 PM  Show Profile  Visit Seamus's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
Thank you for your kind words, WW.

There is no doubt in my mind, or in anyone elses's, that you will be a fine member, and one who will contribute to what we do, Joyce. As I told you, Kay (our Chief Distaff) is very happy to have another talented seamstress aboard, too. You have done quite well in your short journey into the 18th century, and you will only get more comfortable with it...and us...as you continue your journey.

Fort Ligonier is a very good place to start, as you have seen....lots going on in and out of the fort. The troops we portray and emulate built it and Col. James Burd commanded it for awhile. He was in command on October 12, 1758 when it was attacked by the French and their Indian allies, and were defeated. That action was the prelude to the enemy destroying Ft. Duquesne and heading back to New France, leaving the forks of the Ohio in sole possession of his Majesty's forces, with the subsequent building of Ft. Pitt.

We are happy to have you as an applicant member, and I have no doubt that you will be accepted as a full member at the next unit meeting.

Welcome aboard, Lass!!

Capt. S.

Life's journey is not to
arrive at the grave safely
in a well preserved body,
but rather to skid in sideways,
totally worn out, shouting
'...holy sh*t ...what a ride!'

~~Mavis Leyrer, Seattle

Seamus

~~Aim small, hit the b*****d right between the eyes!~~

Wilderness Woman
Watcher of the Wood

Young George Washington
USA

November 27 2002

Donating Member

Posted - October 17 2005 :  5:34:19 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
Thank you, Captain, for the warm welcome and for your kind words also.

At long last, my "imaginings" are....... fulfilled.

richfed
Sachem

King 1
USA

May 13 2002

Administrator

Posted - October 18 2005 :  07:24:22 AM  Show Profile  Visit richfed's Homepage  Click to see richfed's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
That is great, WW ... inspiring, actually! Makes me feel kind of foolish having moped about for so long ...

Emily
Colonial Settler

Cora 4
USA

January 08 2005

Posted - October 18 2005 :  8:16:52 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
Congratulations, WW! Grrr, though. I've always wanted to get in to re-enacting, but, I am only 17 so juggling high school, a few college classes here and there, and a job, plus not having any experience in any of it , gives me a pretty slim chance of ever getting into it at all. Sad. Anyway all we have around here are Civil War re-enactments. I am sick of hearing about those things. Not the time period I'm interested in. I know, beggars can't be choosers, but, man, the whole thing just stinks. I would almost kill to just get to have any involvement in a 18th century re-enactment. Sheesh.

"It is the unknown we fear when looking upon death and darkness, nothing more."

caitlin
Bumppos Tavern Patron

MMBrand
USA

May 17 2002

Donating Member

Posted - October 18 2005 :  9:20:50 PM  Show Profile  Visit caitlin's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
Congratulations WW!

I re-enact in a differnt era, (1800) but can appreciate all the excitment that you are feeling! I wish you all the best! It is a wonderful way to experience history. Good luck!

http://www.mojavemuleskinners.com

Jack McCall: "Should we shake hands or something, relieve the atmosphere. I mean how stupid do you think I am?"
Wild Bill Hickok: "I don't know, I just met you."

"A nation with no regard to it's past will have little future worth remembering."
A.Lincoln

"Enjoy the little things, for one day you may look back and realize that they were the big things"

CT•Ranger
Colonial Militia

indian ... nicholas
USA

October 14 2002

Posted - October 18 2005 :  11:42:32 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by Emily

Congratulations, WW! Grrr, though. I've always wanted to get in to re-enacting, but, I am only 17 so juggling high school, a few college classes here and there, and a job, plus not having any experience in any of it , gives me a pretty slim chance of ever getting into it at all. Sad. Anyway all we have around here are Civil War re-enactments. I am sick of hearing about those things. Not the time period I'm interested in. I know, beggars can't be choosers, but, man, the whole thing just stinks. I would almost kill to just get to have any involvement in a 18th century re-enactment. Sheesh.

I started trekking and then reenacting when I was 17, in high school, and continued through the first couple years of college while I was taking a full load of classes and working part time. I just decided this was what I wanted to do, and did it. My dad even got involved because of me, and he still does it on his own. I started trekking because there weren't many 18th century reenactments in the part of California where I grew up, and I was an avid backpacker already, so my dad and I just went up into the mountains for backpacking trips using only 18th century clothing, food, and gear. Then we started meeting more trekkers and reenactors around the state at roundezvous and started going to reenactments. I know you could do it, anyone can. Why not give it a try? And if you're in Kentucky, as your profile says, I kow there are many 18th century reenactors and trekkers in that part of the woods. They're just not as noticeable as all those noisy Silly War reenactors. Over at Frontierfolk, most of the good people there are trekkers and reenactors in the Kentucky, Tennessee, Ohio, Indiana, West Virginia, Pennsylvania area. The site administrator is from Kentucky as are several other regular posters. Check it out:

FrontierFolk

Also, there's the Locust Grove 18th century Market Fair coming up Oct. 29-30, in Louisville.

Historic Locust Grove

YMHS,
Connecticut•Ranger
Thomas Thacher

blueotter
Colonial Settler

BlueOtter
USA

September 10 2004

Donating Member

Posted - October 19 2005 :  11:31:55 PM  Show Profile  Visit blueotter's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
WW! I was also at Fort Ligonier! Wish I knew you were going to be there so I could have met you! I saw Seamus, but he was always busy with his troops, so didn't want to disturb him.

Thanks for reminding me about the exhibit at the Heinz History Center. I live in Pittsburgh, but have never seen it (I'd better get there soon — make sure my other reenactor friends in the city go with me!!)

Glad you are really getting into reenacting! It's a wonderful hobby, and there are a lot of great people in it. I must admit that my life has to fit around reenacting, like not taking a job that makes me work weekends! I'm taking classes right now to upgrade my graphics skills, but also working part time at Jo-Ann fabrics. They know I do reenacting, and have let me have off event weekends (as long as I ask well in advance for them).

Welcome to Time Travel!
Rose

Rose Dupre
AKA/Órelindë Tinehtelë
AKA/Polly Gamwich
Gordon's 60th Royal Americans
Detroit French Marines

Wilderness Woman
Watcher of the Wood

Young George Washington
USA

November 27 2002

Donating Member

Posted - October 21 2005 :  11:31:33 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
Rose, I am really sorry we missed each other. I didn't know you were going to be there. Were you up top with the British or down below with the French?

You absolutely must get over to the Heinz Center to see that exhibit! It is amazing. The four of us who went (our group included a Provincial soldier, two campfollowers and a Savage!) had fun, especially, because we were wearing the clothing of the period represented in the displays. There weren't a lot of people there, but we did get some interested looks, a request for a photo, and the staff loved us!

I was also quite impressed with the little museum there at the fort. I must admit that as I stood there gazing at the two pistols that were given to George Washington by his good friend Lafayette, I actually choked up.

Page: of 4 Previous Topic: Battle of Culloden, May 19-21, Ft. Loudoun, PA Topic Next Topic: Rather SpecialTransitional long rifle for sale  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
| More
Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Jump To:

Around The Site:
~ What's New? ~
Pathfinding | Mohican Gatherings | Mohican Musings | LOTM Script | History | Musical Musings | Storefronts on the Frontier
Off the Beaten Trail | Links
Of Special Interest:
The Eric Schweig Gallery | From the Ramparts | The Listening Room | Against All Odds | The Video Clips Index

DISCLAIMER
Tune, 40, used by permission - composed by Ron Clarke

Custom Search

The Mohican Board! [Bumppo's Redux!] © 1997-2024 - Mohican Press Go To Top Of Page
Current Mohicanland page raised in 0.5 seconds Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.07