The Mohican Board! [Bumppo's Redux!]
The Mohican Board! [Bumppo's Redux!]
10/1/2024 10:48:19 AM
On the Trail...Home | Old Mohican Board Archives | Purpose
Events | Polls | Photos | Classifieds | Downloads
Profile | Register | Members | Private Messages
Search | Posting Tips | FAQ | Web Links | Mohican Chat | Blogs
Forum Bookmarks | Unanswered Posts | Preview Topic Photos | Active Topics
Invite a Friend to the Mohican Board | Guestbook | Greeting Cards | Auction (0) | Colonial Recipe Book
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 COLONIAL TIMES
 The Muster
 I'm almost a...
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
| More
Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Previous Page | Next Page

Author Previous Topic: Battle of Culloden, May 19-21, Ft. Loudoun, PA Topic Next Topic: Rather SpecialTransitional long rifle for sale
Page: of 4

Seamus
Guardian of Heaven's Gate

Skull 2
USA

Bumppo's Patron since [at least]:
May 19 2002

Posted - August 02 2004 :  6:26:58 PM  Show Profile  Visit Seamus's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
Well, WW.......I was going to mention the bum roll, but I took enough flak for my stays inquiry. Soooooooooo....I left well enough alone.

Actually, I have been 'fighting the fight' with the former dark-haired lass over the same issues recently. I have procured for her an absolutely gorgeous knock your socks off sacque-back of gold silk, and have succeeded in getting her into stays, however, the bum roll is meeting resistance. She claims that it makes her look 'frumpy', but I am persistent in my ....ahem....nudging .....her in the right direction. (.....keep telling her how "18th century GREAT it would look......even better than you do now"....worked with the stays!)She is elegant in her new dress! I will post pics when I get them.

Sincerely, you look mahvelous! You did a masterful job on your clothes! I cannot wait to see you in person at Newtown. Is there any chance you might be able to come to Old Mill Village
( www.oldmillvillage.com/18thcevent.html )next Saturday or Sunday for a visit?

Life's journey is not to
arrive at the grave safely
in a well preserved body,
but rather to skid in sideways,
totally worn out, shouting
'...holy sh*t ...what a ride!'

~~Mavis Leyrer, Seattle

Seamus

~~Aim small, hit the b*****d right between the eyes!~~
report to moderator Go to Top of Page

Bill R
Colonial Militia

Farm Gnome
USA

July 03 2002

Posted - August 02 2004 :  8:32:01 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
"Oh... and Bill... I'm actually 57 and a half. (You didn't think I would put a non-flattering photo on, did you?"

Half, schmaf. You look great....1947 was a very fine vintage.
well, for the most part it was.....there musta been something wrong with MY vines....blighted or something. (3/26/47 me own self!)

Wilderness Woman
Watcher of the Wood

Young George Washington
USA

November 27 2002

Donating Member

Posted - August 02 2004 :  8:36:51 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
Flak? Pffffftttt... That was just a little teasin'!

Ooooooooo... that sacque sounds lovely! I would love to see a photo of Nancy wearing it! I know exactly what she means about the Bum Roll. What woman in her right mind wants to add padding to her hips?!? If I'm gonna do that, I would rather do it with chocolate. Me, I can just apply it directly without even bothering to put it into my mouth!

I would love to come to Old Mill Village. Right now, I don't know if I will be able to, as Gary's son and his family will be in town and we will be spending some time with them. Don't get to see those grandkids very often! But, I'm hoping that I can manage to sneak away for a while one of the days. Can't promise though.

"It is more deeply stirring to my blood than any imaginings could possibly have been."

Wilderness Woman
Watcher of the Wood

Young George Washington
USA

November 27 2002

Donating Member

Posted - August 02 2004 :  8:46:14 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by Bill R
[brHalf, schmaf. You look great....1947 was a very fine vintage.
well, for the most part it was.....there musta been something wrong with MY vines....blighted or something. (3/26/47 me own self!)

Thank you, Bill. The cap and hat do hide the nearly totally white hair quite well, and the crinkly eyes are well shadowed. Good. It worked well.

Yes, I knew by your profile that we share the same birth year. It was a good year. I just wish it weren't getting so far in the distant past.

[Edit: Hmmmmmm... I thought your age was in your profile, but it's not. You must have mentioned it at some point in time, because somehow I knew it. ]

"It is more deeply stirring to my blood than any imaginings could possibly have been."

Seamus

Skull 2
USA

May 19 2002

Posted - August 02 2004 :  10:09:31 PM  Show Profile  Visit Seamus's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
Chocolate? Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm.....there's a thought...........it tends to be a bit messy, particularly in the heat, but it COULD lead to some interesting times! Hoohoooooooo!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Oh..........duuuuuuuhhhhhhhhhh.........silly me.....!! You didn't mean chocolate in place of a bum roll, now, did you? Or.....did you??????

Bring the kiddies to OMV......they will have a ball! The woods ambush will thrill them, for sure!

Life's journey is not to

~~Mavis Leyrer, Seattle

Seamus

SgtMunro
Soldier of the King

Knight
USA

September 23 2002

Donating Member

Posted - August 02 2004 :  10:41:06 PM  Show Profile  Visit SgtMunro's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
Just seen the pictures, Wilderness Woman. What can I say, you look wonderful. You did a Grade A-1 job on your impression. Very nice!!!! And the clothes look good too...

Your Most Humble Servant,

Serjeant-Major Duncan Munro
Capt. Thos. Graham's Coy.
42nd Royal Highland Regiment of Foote
(The Black Sheep of the Black Watch)

"Nemo Me Impune Lacessit"
-Or-
"Recruit locally, fight globally."

richfed
Sachem

King 1
USA

May 13 2002

Administrator

Posted - August 03 2004 :  05:12:37 AM  Show Profile  Visit richfed's Homepage  Click to see richfed's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
Lookin' good, WW! Very good!

Wilderness Woman
Watcher of the Wood

Young George Washington
USA

November 27 2002

Donating Member

Posted - August 03 2004 :  08:05:06 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
Thank you!

Carter
Colonial Militia

Tiger
USA

August 28 2003

Donating Member

Posted - August 03 2004 :  08:31:48 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
Love the picture WW!! You DO look like Miss Cora Munroe herself! Now all you need is Hawkeye!! Paging Daniel Day-Lewis.....

Wilderness Woman
Watcher of the Wood

Young George Washington
USA

November 27 2002

Donating Member

Posted - August 03 2004 :  10:12:48 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
Sounds good to me, Carter! Of course, he would have to be about 30 years older. Well... I'd settle for 20!

Kate
Ariel's Cabin Caretaker, Retired

United Kingdom

June 10 2002

Posted - August 03 2004 :  12:30:08 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
YOU LOOK FABULOUS, WW!!! I'm sure that being dressed in period clothing is going to make your day EVEN MORE FUN!!!

Could you take pics and post them for those of us that can't be there?? PLEASE????

You've done a mahvellous job, m' deah!!! SIMPLY MAHHHH-VELOUS!!!

Kate

"Cuimhnich air na daoine o'n d'thainig thu." (Remember the people from whom you came.)

~ Celtic Wisdom

Wilderness Woman
Watcher of the Wood

Young George Washington
USA

November 27 2002

Donating Member

Posted - August 03 2004 :  12:37:51 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
Kate, my ultimate goal is to have someone make a "likeness" of me, The Lady, posing somewhat close... but not too close, for I have been given to understand that the smell may not be too pleasant [sniff]... to the Leader of those Backwoods Rabble who will be there.

Should make for an interesting likeness, don't you think?

Seamus

Skull 2
USA

May 19 2002

Posted - August 03 2004 :  1:19:49 PM  Show Profile  Visit Seamus's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
Hahahah!! Don't worry....odors don't offend me. Ever get a sniff of backwoods rabble?????? Haha!!

Life's journey is not to

~~Mavis Leyrer, Seattle

Seamus

Wilderness Woman
Watcher of the Wood

Young George Washington
USA

November 27 2002

Donating Member

Posted - August 03 2004 :  3:47:15 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
Not yet. Have a feeling that I'm going to. Oh, and... it wasn't you being offended that I was worried about. I'm sure you are more than used to smelling your self and your men. It was moi that I was worried about.

[WW makes mental note to self to be certain to bring along her fine, perfumed linen hankie to hold against her nose, in case the... smell... emanating from said Leader is utterly unbearable.]

Seamus

Skull 2
USA

May 19 2002

Posted - August 03 2004 :  4:29:03 PM  Show Profile  Visit Seamus's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
Hahahaha! I KNEW that, but I could not resist!!

The odor which eminates from my being is mostly heavy woodsmoke, from campfires and my smoked, braintanned leggings or breeches.....some beeswax and shellac from my hat is also detectable, particularly on a hot day. Actually, the combination of smells is quite unoffending. You might also catch a drift of mint. AND....if I spill some mysterious amber liquid on myself (an occasional happenstance), you will catch THAT odor, too!! Most of the rancid grease which has been wiped for years on my leggings has long since dissipated, and much of the really offensive stuff on my hunting shirt has washed off in the rains or creeks.

Now, as for me, I gotta watch out I don't get any of that perfumy stuff on me, or the guys will make very derogatory and disparaging comments, point and giggle, and THAT could lead to some ugly stuff!

Life's journey is not to

~~Mavis Leyrer, Seattle

Seamus

caitlin
Bumppos Tavern Patron

MMBrand
USA

May 17 2002

Donating Member

Posted - August 03 2004 :  5:00:42 PM  Show Profile  Visit caitlin's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by Seamus

Well, WW.......I was going to mention the bum roll, but I took enough flak for my stays inquiry. Soooooooooo....I left well enough alone.

Actually, I have been 'fighting the fight' with the former dark-haired lass over the same issues recently. I have procured for her an absolutely gorgeous knock your socks off sacque-back of gold silk, and have succeeded in getting her into stays, however, the bum roll is meeting resistance. She claims that it makes her look 'frumpy', but I am persistent in my ....ahem....nudging .....her in the right direction. (.....keep telling her how "18th century GREAT it would look......even better than you do now"....worked with the stays!)She is elegant in her new dress! I will post pics when I get them.

Sincerely, you look mahvelous! You did a masterful job on your clothes! I cannot wait to see you in person at Newtown. Is there any chance you might be able to come to Old Mill Village
( www.oldmillvillage.com/18thcevent.html )next Saturday or Sunday for a visit?

WW, have to agree with everyone - you look wonderful!

I always admired the bum roll - don't know it I ever could pull it off. I remember seeing a woman at the Feast Of The Hunters Moon in Indiana and it was very impressive to say the least! Call me crazy, but I prefer to stick to the ol' bustle (keeps them guessing)

Image Insert:

38.67 KB

Jack McCall: "Should we shake hands or something, relieve the atmosphere. I mean how stupid do you think I am?"
Wild Bill Hickok: "I don't know, I just met you."

"A nation with no regard to it's past will have little future worth remembering."
A.Lincoln

"Enjoy the little things, for one day you may look back and realize that they were the big things"

Gadget Girl
Gatherer of Gathering Gadgets

Winking Lady
USA

May 17 2002

Donating Member

Posted - August 03 2004 :  5:37:24 PM  Show Profile  Send Gadget Girl an AOL message  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
quote:
WW wrote:
Not yet. Have a feeling that I'm going to. Oh, and... it wasn't you being offended that I was worried about. I'm sure you are more than used to smelling your self and your men. It was moi that I was worried about.

A little backwoodsman aroma doesn't sound so bad, especially compared to being surprised by Uncle Quasi slitherin' all sneaky like onto your unsuspecting shoulder in the low lights of a campfire. WHOA!

Get back Loretta!

Actually...it'd be quite the treat to see the ole fella again!

GG

Seamus

Skull 2
USA

May 19 2002

Posted - August 03 2004 :  5:54:00 PM  Show Profile  Visit Seamus's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
Weeeeeelllllllllllllllllllllllllllll.................the old reprobate may make an appearance at Newtown.......

Rumor has it that he has been seen nearby.........

Life's journey is not to

~~Mavis Leyrer, Seattle

Seamus

Wilderness Woman
Watcher of the Wood

Young George Washington
USA

November 27 2002

Donating Member

Posted - August 03 2004 :  8:24:43 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by Seamus
The odor which eminates from my being is mostly heavy woodsmoke, from campfires and my smoked, braintanned leggings or breeches.....some beeswax and shellac from my hat is also detectable, particularly on a hot day. Actually, the combination of smells is quite unoffending.

W-e-e-e-e-l-l-l-l..... that remains to be seen. I must say that each one taken separately doesn't sound t-o-o-o-o bad. Wood smoke I love, beeswax is pleasant, mint is lovely, the mysterious amber liquid I don't know... Hmmmmmmm. The shellac and the leggings are questionable. We shall see.

GG, I appreciate the warning about low lit campfires and those who frequent them. I shall have to be very watchful. It sounds like I should be practicing my elbow-to-the-gut maneuver. Al-tho-o-o-o-ough... methinks that perhaps the best defense of all would be that highly perfumed fine linen hankie..... Hmmmmmmmmm.......

[WW jumps up to quickly go and check to make certain she has plenty of strong perfume with which to douse her linen hankies.]

Seamus

Skull 2
USA

May 19 2002

Posted - August 03 2004 :  9:09:39 PM  Show Profile  Visit Seamus's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
Now that is a good idea, WW! Douse 'em heavy.....that'll attract most of the flies and other bugs away from where they might otherwise be. Perfume is a fine bug grabber.....better than a well-used hunting shirt, of course, most of the goodies have already been bug-bit offa mine, so they ain't quite the problem they can be earlier in the year when it first turns warm. Yep! Soak those hankies good!!!! Me and the boys will certainly appreciate it.

Life's journey is not to

~~Mavis Leyrer, Seattle

Seamus

Wilderness Woman
Watcher of the Wood

Young George Washington
USA

November 27 2002

Donating Member

Posted - August 03 2004 :  10:01:20 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
Well, I'm just amazed that any self-respecting bug would even consider flying anywhere close to the vicinity of that interesting collection of odors! I wouldn't have thought that you would need to have a lady's perfumed hankie to draw them away from you. Hmmmph! Sniff.

[WW turns her back and sashays away, resolving that perhaps she had better rethink the perfumed hankie defense.]

Seamus

Skull 2
USA

May 19 2002

Posted - August 04 2004 :  06:29:27 AM  Show Profile  Visit Seamus's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
Truthfully, WW, I don't think that any self-respecting insect could resist the olfactory symphony which eminates from an experienced, veteran hunting shirt. One of the tricks in getting a respite from the critters is to hang a seasoned hunting shirt some distance from the camp, so one can rest peacefully. That is a very good thing to know, particularly in black fly season.

Life's journey is not to

~~Mavis Leyrer, Seattle

Seamus

Wilderness Woman
Watcher of the Wood

Young George Washington
USA

November 27 2002

Donating Member

Posted - August 04 2004 :  08:01:00 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
[chuckling...] All kidding aside:

That's interesting! Glad it works for you. Black flies are not fun! As for me... period, schmeriod! I intend to be fully armed with 21st century insect repellent. I hate the durned smelly, oily stuff, but it's better than being eaten alive!

I will also be using 21st century sunscreen. My pale freckle-y skin burns within about 5 minutes and I am already a high risk for skin cancer due to a very bad (2nd degree blisters) burn I got at Disneyland when I was 12 years old. So I slather it on but good.

Come to think of it, I will probably be an interesting "symphony", or perhaps "cacophony" is a better word, of odors meownself!

Seamus

Skull 2
USA

May 19 2002

Posted - August 04 2004 :  08:11:06 AM  Show Profile  Visit Seamus's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
WW, yes, all kidding aside..........

I also use insect repellant, the spray on Cutter's or something akin to it. It is not greasy, nor too bad-smelling, and adds another aura to the 'symphony' of odors! AND....sunscreen, for sure, 45 for me, and a wide-brimmed hat 'off duty' is common practice. After my experience with a melanoma last fall, I have been bathing in the stuff. I make sure it is available for my soldiers, too. Too many years of lifeguarding, teaching swimming, running pools and being a sun bum, have taken its toll.

Cacophony? Uh-huh......good word!

Life's journey is not to

~~Mavis Leyrer, Seattle

Seamus

Many Flags
Colonial Settler

USA

August 13 2002

Posted - August 04 2004 :  08:41:31 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
WW and All (cousin Seamus!!!).....I had meine liebe Magdalena look over the sketches of WW and her new fashions. She was quite impressed and invites you to the Lady's Sewing Circle for Quilting and Mending in Womelsdorf any time you wish to attend. Also, Magdalena has been reading the posts of cousins Malcolm and Seamus and grew a bit red in the face when reading them.....she being a proper lady and knowing how men can be!! She gave the Sarge a bit of a dressing down (to my delight!!) and will speak to Seamus when she sees him!! So, Lady WW, Malcolm has crawled back to his men ("Hmpphh", says he, "I might as well be a monk, with my Maggie in Caithness and just a bunch of smelly old men to hang with.....hmphhh, Scotch, ale, my pipe and fighting for the King.....that's all there is to MY life!!".....I understand he drilled the devil out of his men after Magdalena had her little talk with him....she is one lovely Frau when her blood is up!)......
So, you are more than welcome to visit us in camp anytime. As Seamus said, we don't smell TOO bad....actually, there is nothing more lovely and natural than the smell of us longhunters. I do believe that all of us will be at Fort Ligonier, the second weekend of October. 'Tis a beautiful site and so much history (if you read the Chronicles, it's where the hated Red Leaf met his demise, where Seamus received the scar on his head, where a great many events took place in October of 1758 and the fort is a great place to "reenact"!). Uh oh.....here comes Magdalena...seems that she has been interested in this "smells" subject and is..Ja,... Ja, meine Liebchen, Ich gehe schnell und waschen...(She says, "Off mit der leggins, clout und shirt. du stinky Jaeger!!....Go wash in the Stoney Run...JETZT!!")...SO, I must go, she's pulling the clothes off me as I write this (heee, that tickles!!), and wants me in the Stoney Run here in the Allemaengel to remove the sweat and woodsmoke!!...Oh that wasser will be kalt!!! hooo ahhhh!....

Pax Aye! Many Flags
Page: of 4 Previous Topic: Battle of Culloden, May 19-21, Ft. Loudoun, PA Topic Next Topic: Rather SpecialTransitional long rifle for sale  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
| More
Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Jump To:

Around The Site:
~ What's New? ~
Pathfinding | Mohican Gatherings | Mohican Musings | LOTM Script | History | Musical Musings | Storefronts on the Frontier
Off the Beaten Trail | Links
Of Special Interest:
The Eric Schweig Gallery | From the Ramparts | The Listening Room | Against All Odds | The Video Clips Index

DISCLAIMER
Tune, 40, used by permission - composed by Ron Clarke

Custom Search

The Mohican Board! [Bumppo's Redux!] © 1997-2024 - Mohican Press Go To Top Of Page
Current Mohicanland page raised in 0.67 seconds Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.07