The Mohican Board! [Bumppo's Redux!]
The Mohican Board! [Bumppo's Redux!]
10/1/2024 2:15:12 PM
On the Trail...Home | Old Mohican Board Archives | Purpose
Events | Polls | Photos | Classifieds | Downloads
Profile | Register | Members | Private Messages
Search | Posting Tips | FAQ | Web Links | Mohican Chat | Blogs
Forum Bookmarks | Unanswered Posts | Preview Topic Photos | Active Topics
Invite a Friend to the Mohican Board | Guestbook | Greeting Cards | Auction (0) | Colonial Recipe Book
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 COLONIAL TIMES
 The Muster
 I'm almost a...
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
| More
Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Previous Page

Author Previous Topic: Battle of Culloden, May 19-21, Ft. Loudoun, PA Topic Next Topic: Rather SpecialTransitional long rifle for sale
Page: of 4

Bookworm
Colonial Militia

USA

Bumppo's Patron since [at least]:
February 10 2004

Donating Member

Posted - October 22 2005 :  5:21:09 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
Congratulations, Joyce! It's wonderful to hear that you're doing something you've dreamed of for so long. And to know that you'll be making regular visits to Pennsylvania!

Bookworm

"I've gotten so fascinated with the eighteenth century, I'm going to stay there." -- David McCullough

"Nothing to it, brother." -- Barack Obama
report to moderator Go to Top of Page

Wilderness Woman
Watcher of the Wood

Young George Washington
USA

November 27 2002

Donating Member

Posted - January 18 2006 :  5:50:33 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
Yes, Bookworm, it appears that I am going to get to know every inch of both I-81 and I-80 between Binghamton and the Sunbury, PA area very, very well.

I am most pleased to announce that on Sunday, January 15th, Mistress Joyce was voted in and accepted as a Probationary Member of the Augusta Regiment Distaff.

HUZZAH!

"It is more deeply stirring to my blood than any imaginings could possibly have been."

SgtMunro
Soldier of the King

Knight
USA

September 23 2002

Donating Member

Posted - January 18 2006 :  6:29:28 PM  Show Profile  Visit SgtMunro's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
Congratulations WW!!! Although, I do believe that Seamus would agree with me, that the Augusta Regiment are truly the lucky ones. They have been blessed with yet another person who is passionate about living history; as well as getting someone who is pleasant to be around. You are now officially a member of 'The Club'.

Your Most Humble Friend,
The Sarge

Serjeant-Major Duncan Munro
Capt. Thos. Graham's Coy.
42nd Royal Highland Regiment of Foote
(The Black Sheep of the Black Watch)

"Nemo Me Impune Lacessit"
-Or-
"Recruit locally, fight globally."

qasimoto
Pioneer

USA

March 11 2005

Posted - January 19 2006 :  12:08:17 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
Gee, much of that is indeed unfortunate, though where there is a will there is at least SOMEtimes a way.....I dunno, how about making candles in the old way? I don't think the molds or wicks cost much, though I have no idea of how expensive candle wax may be. Nor of what you're going to do with all the candles afterward; hope for a hurricane, maybe! How 'bout just simple plain old laundering, nothing saying you have to 40 loads per day. Soft soap's available or makeable, as is a fire under a tub, but I suppose that a genuine historically correct tub could well be costly. I don't suppose a 33 or 55 gal drum would fly. Or how about making soft soap? Should be SOME market for it, my wife somehow acquired some. GOT to be SOMEthing. How about cartridge making? They're small, easy, and not costly. And if you don't find a market for them, take them apart at night and start again the next morning. Or bandage making? Not everything has to be cannon loading or making 60 ft. flags, a la Ft. McHenry. Now there's a thought, how about hand-sewing replica Continental, regimental, etc. flags? Should be a GOOD market for those, they have flash and make great wall hangings, esp. if you sell them with a nice little note-by-the-maker in a colonial style. How about flint knapping? I rather think visitors might buy some, you could make light-colored ones for French .69 cal. muskets, dark for English .75's, assorted misc. smaller ones for pistols and smaller-caliber civilian long guns. And those're just a few off the top of my pointy little head, there've got to be many other things you could do that would be of interest to visitors and to other participators as well.

Frankly, I thing flags might be a winner. You could start them at home on a machine, and then just finish them up by hand in front of visitors while sitting in your (used, NOT new and spotless and pricey) tent. Looks more authentic that way anyway, maybe throw a few cups of coffee at it to be sure. Tent making itself is probably too heavy a job to consider--big thread, big needles, heavy material, customers complaining afterward about leaks or whatever.

Qasimoto

quote:
Originally posted by Wilderness Woman

quote:
Originally posted by Fitz Williams
You can do it all you want.

Well, unfortunately, it is not that simple for me, Fitz. It's different for a woman than it is for a man.

1. I don't have any equipment other than two outfits of clothing. I had thought that if I were to become more involved, I would become a sutler, but I don't have the finances available to me to begin purchasing things like a tent and all of the other things I would need to even begin.

2. My husband is not at all interested. Therefore, that makes me an unattached woman and I understand that many, if not most, re-enacting units will not allow an unattached woman to join.

3. I can sew, but would have to use a machine for nearly all of it, and many, if not most, units require things to be hand sewn.

4. I have no other viable 18th century skill or trade that would allow me to be accepted as a "useable" member.

5. I have family obligations that prevent me from doing very much gallavanting around the Eastern seaboard, not to mention a 10 year old car that makes me a little nervous about venturing more than two hours away from home.

So you see... volunteering at events seems to be the only way for me to go. Here in New York, there is Newtown once a year, and there is the Herkimer Home and the Oriskany Battlefield in the Mohawk Valley. That will probably have to be enough to sustain my 18th century life.

Sigh.

Wilderness Woman
Watcher of the Wood

Young George Washington
USA

November 27 2002

Donating Member

Posted - January 19 2006 :  10:28:23 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
Actually, Qasi, much has changed in my circumstances since I made that particular post.

The Augusta recently made some changes to the By-Laws that allow a woman who is unattached to a soldier to be a part of the Regiment, which is why I was able to apply. And as far as "Things I Can Do", I have already been in discussion with our Chief of Distaff (who is also the Regimental Quartermaster/Tailor) regarding areas in which I can be of help.

I sew, and will probably be assisting the Tailor with outfitting our soldiers and campfollowers, as needed... I can knit stockings and muffatees... I spin on a wheel and am learning to spin on a drop spindle... I will be learning to cook over an open fire... I can certainly scrub clothes...

So, you see, it is no longer as hopeless as I had thought. I do appreciate your thoughts!

BTW... are you a re-enactor? Or just another very knowledgeable member of Mohicanland?

"It is more deeply stirring to my blood than any imaginings could possibly have been."

Monadnock Guide
Council of Elders

USA

March 14 2005

Posted - January 19 2006 :  11:15:59 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
Congrats Joyce, - I'm sure you're going to enjoy every minute. Best of luck, ... ;)

you can keep "The Change"

Bookworm
Colonial Militia

USA

February 10 2004

Donating Member

Posted - January 19 2006 :  9:07:55 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
Huzzah, indeed! Congratulations, Joyce, on being accepted as a provisional member (though I can't imagine that result was ever in doubt). I'll be sure to check the Regiment's schedule once the season gets underway so I'll know where you'll be.

Bookworm

"I've gotten so fascinated with the eighteenth century, I'm going to stay there." -- David McCullough

"Nothing to it, brother." -- Barack Obama
Page: of 4 Previous Topic: Battle of Culloden, May 19-21, Ft. Loudoun, PA Topic Next Topic: Rather SpecialTransitional long rifle for sale  
Previous Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
| More
Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Jump To:

Around The Site:
~ What's New? ~
Pathfinding | Mohican Gatherings | Mohican Musings | LOTM Script | History | Musical Musings | Storefronts on the Frontier
Off the Beaten Trail | Links
Of Special Interest:
The Eric Schweig Gallery | From the Ramparts | The Listening Room | Against All Odds | The Video Clips Index

DISCLAIMER
Tune, 40, used by permission - composed by Ron Clarke

Custom Search

The Mohican Board! [Bumppo's Redux!] © 1997-2024 - Mohican Press Go To Top Of Page
Current Mohicanland page raised in 0.28 seconds Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.07