The Mohican Board! [Bumppo's Redux!]
The Mohican Board! [Bumppo's Redux!]
10/1/2024 12:30:57 PM
On the Trail...Home | Old Mohican Board Archives | Purpose
Events | Polls | Photos | Classifieds | Downloads
Profile | Register | Members | Private Messages
Search | Posting Tips | FAQ | Web Links | Mohican Chat | Blogs
Forum Bookmarks | Unanswered Posts | Preview Topic Photos | Active Topics
Invite a Friend to the Mohican Board | Guestbook | Greeting Cards | Auction (0) | Colonial Recipe Book
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 COLONIAL TIMES
 The Muster
 I'm almost a...
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
| More
Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Next Page

Author Previous Topic: Battle of Culloden, May 19-21, Ft. Loudoun, PA Topic Next Topic: Rather SpecialTransitional long rifle for sale
Page: of 4

Wilderness Woman
Watcher of the Wood

Young George Washington
USA

Bumppo's Patron since [at least]:
November 27 2002

Donating Member

Posted - April 12 2004 :  1:03:40 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
...re-enactor! Almost! Sorta'... kinda'..... 'hem.

Well, OK. So I am re-e-e-e-ally just a volunteer. But! I'm a volunteer with the Chemung Valley Living History Center! This small organization has been instrumental over the past 10 or so years in keeping open the Newtown Battlefield Reservation Park, which was doomed to closure by the state of New York. (Long story there.)

We have been members of the group for several years in name only, giving monetary donations to help out. But this spring... and with the 225th Anniversary of the Battle of Newtown event rapidly approaching... I decided I really wanted to become more involved. If I can't become a re-enactor, at least I can pretend!

So, my husband and I have spent the past two Saturdays up at the park helping with the usual after-winter-clean-up. This winter was unusually hard on the park, with many, many trees down, and there is much wood to be cut, split and distributed around the camping areas. I actually operated a hydrolic splitter! Woo-hoo!

I will "break in" as a volunteer at the Ben Newton Memorial Civil War Weekend (April 30 - May 2). I won't have time to create my Civil War garb for this year, but I intend to be fully "dressed" in Rev War era garb in time for the 225th Annniversary of the Battle of Newtown event in August.

Am I excited? You betcha!

You can check out the park and the schedule of events here:
www.chemungvalley.org

"It is more deeply stirring to my blood than any imaginings could possibly have been."
report to moderator

CT•Ranger
Colonial Militia

indian ... nicholas
USA

October 14 2002

Posted - April 12 2004 :  6:20:32 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
Way to go WW!

I'm sure I don't really need to say this, but, feel free to ask any and all questions you come up with as you begin your reenacting journey!

YMHS,
Connecticut•Ranger
Thomas Thacher

report to moderator Go to Top of Page

Seamus
Guardian of Heaven's Gate

Skull 2
USA

May 19 2002

Posted - April 12 2004 :  6:35:51 PM  Show Profile  Visit Seamus's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
Way to go, WW! Have you run into Paul Perine or Kelly Ames yet? They are members of the Augusta Regiment. Kelly is one of our distaff and Paul is a private soldier. Jack Andrus is a dear friend, too!

We expect to be at Newtown in August, but as Sullivan's scouts. Maybe I will see you???

Life's journey is not to
arrive at the grave safely
in a well preserved body,
but rather to skid in sideways,
totally worn out, shouting
'...holy sh*t ...what a ride!'

~~Mavis Leyrer, Seattle

Seamus

~~Aim small, hit the b*****d right between the eyes!~~

Wilderness Woman
Watcher of the Wood

Young George Washington
USA

November 27 2002

Donating Member

Posted - April 12 2004 :  7:14:07 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
Thanks, guys!

CT-R... I appreciate your offer. So-o-o-o-o-o... tell me this: How does it feel to wear a pair of stays all day and into the night? Huh? (Just kidding!) I doubt that I will ever get to the point of developing a persona. Probably just be that old colonial lady who cleans the latrines!

Seamus!!! Are you saying that you are going to be at the Newtown 225th?!? "Really?", she squeeked. Then, unless something really weird happens... like me keeling over dead from the excitement of just being there and being involved... we will definitely meet!! Huzzah!! Now I am really excited!

I haven't met Paul or Kelly yet. Do they live up this way? I met Jack, very briefly, as we were rolling big chunks of log over to the splitter. I know that he is "Adiondack", and is very involved with the Native American village there at the park and I think I remember seeing, somewhere, a photo of the two of you together.

You and your men are going to be Sullivan's scouts? That's really neat! Then you will be dressed... in your long-hunter/woodsman garb?

Oh man. This is just all too cool. I can't stand it.

"It is more deeply stirring to my blood than any imaginings could possibly have been."

Seamus

Skull 2
USA

May 19 2002

Posted - April 12 2004 :  7:43:47 PM  Show Profile  Visit Seamus's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
Yes, m'dear....we will be at Newtown, and we will be dressed in woods rabble attire. And you saw the pictures of Adiondack and me on the Old Mill village website, www.oldmillvillage.com , go to the 2003 events page and check the F&I War weekend. There are several of us together and separate. Paul and Kelly live in Bath and Savona. He works in Elmira at Hessleson's Sporting Goods Store. They are on the Board of Directors of somethin associated with the Battlefield, and I thought it was the Visitor Center or Friends group. I will find out for sure.

Life's journey is not to

~~Mavis Leyrer, Seattle

Seamus

SgtMunro
Soldier of the King

Knight
USA

September 23 2002

Donating Member

Posted - April 12 2004 :  7:52:51 PM  Show Profile  Visit SgtMunro's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
Huzzah Wilderness Woman!!!! Now, we need a picture of you in your 18th Century persona...

Your Most Humble Servant,

Serjeant-Major Duncan Munro
Capt. Thos. Graham's Coy.
42nd Royal Highland Regiment of Foote
(The Black Sheep of the Black Watch)

"Nemo Me Impune Lacessit"
-Or-
"Recruit locally, fight globally."

Wilderness Woman
Watcher of the Wood

Young George Washington
USA

November 27 2002

Donating Member

Posted - April 12 2004 :  9:08:44 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
Hah! So you can get a good laugh at the old broad?!?

Let's see how it turns out. I got me a lotta sewin' to do! Gotta buy patterns... lotsa linen... plastic boning... figure out something to do for shoes (can't afford Fugawee!)...

Wilderness Woman
Watcher of the Wood

Young George Washington
USA

November 27 2002

Donating Member

Posted - April 12 2004 :  9:20:13 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by Seamus
Yes, m'dear....we will be at Newtown, and we will be dressed in woods rabble attire.

Excellent, my friend, excellent!! I am surprised! I had looked at your regiment's schedule and did not see Newtown on it, so assumed you would not be there. This is indeed a great and very pleasant surprise!!

CT•Ranger
Colonial Militia

indian ... nicholas
USA

October 14 2002

Posted - April 12 2004 :  11:10:02 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
WW, you can find a forum of knowledgeable 18th female reenactors at the 18th Century Frontier Women forum.

You may also find the women at the18cWoman Yahoo Group helpful as well.

A cheaper alternative to fugawee's leather shoes are wooden soled clogs with leather uppers. They're fairly easy to make from a pair of traditional Dutch style "wooden shoes." Or you can modify a pair of "wooden shoes" to have some 18th century wooden clogs, with wool liners for comfort.

Beth Gilgun's book "Tidings From the 18th Century" is a good resource.

YMHS,
Connecticut•Ranger
Thomas Thacher

CT•Ranger
Colonial Militia

indian ... nicholas
USA

October 14 2002

Posted - April 12 2004 :  11:14:08 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
Also, developing a persona, perhaps using some of your genealogical research, can really help when trying to decide what to wear. It doesn't have to be highly detailed at first, just start with the basics, who, when, where, why.

YMHS,
Connecticut•Ranger
Thomas Thacher

Wilderness Woman
Watcher of the Wood

Young George Washington
USA

November 27 2002

Donating Member

Posted - April 13 2004 :  08:32:35 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
Thank you, CT-R! I didn't know about the 18th Century Frontier Women Forum! I'll go and check it out today.

I have, however, been on the 18cWoman list for about 9 or 10 months, as well as the RevList, the RevWarCostume list, the BeginningLivingHistory list and the FandIWomen list! I have purchased Mara Riley's excellent book, "Whatever Shall I Wear?", and will soon be purchasing Beth's book. (Seamus, that article has been invaluable! Thanks again!) I have researched sources of patterns and linen. I have begun haunting my local thrift shops for old linen tablecloths.

Those women on the 18cWoman list are amazing! They really know their stuff, inside out and backwards. I have learned so-o-o-o-o much just lurking and absorbing, and they always patiently and thoroughly answer my questions.

Thanks for the tip on the clogs. I will keep my eyes open. Too bad I threw away the ones I owned back in the 70s!

SgtMunro
Soldier of the King

Knight
USA

September 23 2002

Donating Member

Posted - April 14 2004 :  12:52:44 AM  Show Profile  Visit SgtMunro's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
I think it is great that you are dressing the part, you are now reenacting. See it wasn't that hard to 'make the leap'. Someone with your knowledge has alot to offer to the hobby. I hope that you eventually decide to get into 'First Person' living history, because I know you would be great.

Your Most Humble Servant,

Serjeant-Major Duncan Munro
Capt. Thos. Graham's Coy.
42nd Royal Highland Regiment of Foote
(The Black Sheep of the Black Watch)

"Nemo Me Impune Lacessit"
-Or-
"Recruit locally, fight globally."

Seamus

Skull 2
USA

May 19 2002

Posted - April 14 2004 :  06:20:34 AM  Show Profile  Visit Seamus's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
quote:
Excellent, my friend, excellent!! I am surprised! I had looked at your regiment's schedule and did not see Newtown on it, so assumed you would not be there. This is indeed a great and very pleasant surprise!!

At our scheduling meeting, we voted to make this an optional event because of it being a Rev War event, and with it being near the end of a busy season with sanctioned events looming. Our primary focus is F&I War, of course. We won't be there in force, but I do expect to have several.

Life's journey is not to

~~Mavis Leyrer, Seattle

Seamus

Wilderness Woman
Watcher of the Wood

Young George Washington
USA

November 27 2002

Donating Member

Posted - April 14 2004 :  08:21:58 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
Sarge, your comments are most kind. But how does that saying go? "A little knowledge can be dangerous"? There is no way that I could even come close to doing what you, Seamus, 1st Sgt. Malcolm, and all of the others here do. No way!

Regardless of the way I seem here in Mohicanland, I am a pretty shy and quiet person. (Hard to believe, I know, but it is true!) If I try to stand up in front of people and talk... well... I think an old quote attributed to George Jessel says it best: "The human brain starts working the moment you are born and never stops until you stand up to speak in public." That's me.

As for making the leap... I got tired of you guys having all the fun!

Wilderness Woman
Watcher of the Wood

Young George Washington
USA

November 27 2002

Donating Member

Posted - August 02 2004 :  10:33:19 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
OK... After several months of some heavy-duty sewing...

Get your pointing fingers ready...

Practice your guffaws...

Wilderness Woman
Watcher of the Wood

Young George Washington
USA

November 27 2002

Donating Member

Posted - August 02 2004 :  10:34:25 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
Are you ready?

Cover your eyes...

The shock may be too much...

Keep young children away from your computer screens...

Wilderness Woman
Watcher of the Wood

Young George Washington
USA

November 27 2002

Donating Member

Posted - August 02 2004 :  10:43:09 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
Here's the Old Broad in all of her 18th century glory...

Image Insert:

83.89 KB

Image Insert:

88.46 KB

Seamus

Skull 2
USA

May 19 2002

Posted - August 02 2004 :  11:11:26 AM  Show Profile  Visit Seamus's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
Very nice, WW, very nice.............

Wearing stays? (heheheh!)

Life's journey is not to

~~Mavis Leyrer, Seattle

Seamus

Bill R
Colonial Militia

Farm Gnome
USA

July 03 2002

Posted - August 02 2004 :  12:23:38 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
NO WAY YOU'RE 57! UNH UNH. Don't believe it!

Very nice job on the clothes! Looks like you stepped right out of time. Good job. Nice work. Huzzah.

Wilderness Woman
Watcher of the Wood

Young George Washington
USA

November 27 2002

Donating Member

Posted - August 02 2004 :  12:33:11 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
Why Seamus!
Have you no sense of decency, Sir? Have you no teachings in propriety? Has no one told you that those sorts of questions should not be asked of a lady?

Hummmmmph. I guess one can expect no less from Backwoods Rabble! Hummmmph.

Of course I am wearing my stays! Why, as a lady, I would feel undressed with out them! I always wear my stays, even in 80 degree weather, with 97% humidity. [pant] Indeed, Sir, how could you even think otherwise?

Now Mr. Bill R., on the other hand, knows how to treat a lady!

[Thanks to both of you for your kind compliments! Much appreciated!]

susquesus
Mad Hermit of the North Woods

Susquesus
USA

September 03 2003

Posted - August 02 2004 :  12:53:03 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
Hubba-Hubba!

Sjt. Malcolm MacWilliam
Pioneer

September 11 2002

Posted - August 02 2004 :  12:58:26 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
Aye, WW....looks quite fine to me....quite fine, indeed!! There is nothin' like the figure of a woman in correct clothing: stays, shift, shortgown, skirt.....accentuates the....humphhh...the nape of the neck and the curve of the......hmmmm...OK, enough...'tis been a LONNGG time since I've been with me own dear Maggie in Caithness!! Both sketches (such realistic likenesses) are very lovely. A thumbs up from this old soldier!! (Cousin Seamus, behave yourself!!)
Pax Aye!! 1st Sjt. MacWilliam, 77th Grenadiers

Gadget Girl
Gatherer of Gathering Gadgets

Winking Lady
USA

May 17 2002

Donating Member

Posted - August 02 2004 :  1:43:32 PM  Show Profile  Send Gadget Girl an AOL message  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
Nice threads there WW! Strong Work!

Who'da thunk one could get such...."compliments" with SO MANY clothes on! I think these boys' minds are in the .... the ... the 18th century for REAL, fine gents that they are!

GG

Dillon1836
Deerslayer

richfed
USA

July 17 2003

Posted - August 02 2004 :  2:06:40 PM  Show Profile  Visit Dillon1836's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
Well, it's nice to meet ya WW! lol been thinking of getting into reinactment myself.

www.alamosentry.com

CT•Ranger
Colonial Militia

indian ... nicholas
USA

October 14 2002

Posted - August 02 2004 :  3:38:46 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
Why that's not WW. That's Miss Cora Munro, striped petticoat and all!

Looking good WW.

YMHS,
Connecticut•Ranger
Thomas Thacher

Wilderness Woman
Watcher of the Wood

Young George Washington
USA

November 27 2002

Donating Member

Posted - August 02 2004 :  4:41:18 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
Hah! Miss Cora Munro 30 years later, perhaps! I was wondering if someone would notice the striped petticoat, and I want you to know that I searched the internet high and low for a suitable striped linen.

In looking at the photographs, I see that I need to shorten those petticoats an inch or two, and I need to pin the stomacher on a little higher so that it is more even with the top of the jacket. And I never, ever thought I would hear myself say this... but I think I need a "bum roll" for a little more padding around the hip area.

GG, I think we know pretty much where men's minds are most of the time!

Thank you, everyone, for your most kind comments, and for making me blush! 1st Sjt. Malcolm, I sincerely hope you make it home to your Maggie quite soon!

Oh... and Bill... I'm actually 57 and a half. (You didn't think I would put a non-flattering photo on, did you?)

Page: of 4 Previous Topic: Battle of Culloden, May 19-21, Ft. Loudoun, PA Topic Next Topic: Rather SpecialTransitional long rifle for sale  
Next Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
| More
Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Jump To:

Around The Site:
~ What's New? ~
Pathfinding | Mohican Gatherings | Mohican Musings | LOTM Script | History | Musical Musings | Storefronts on the Frontier
Off the Beaten Trail | Links
Of Special Interest:
The Eric Schweig Gallery | From the Ramparts | The Listening Room | Against All Odds | The Video Clips Index

DISCLAIMER
Tune, 40, used by permission - composed by Ron Clarke

Custom Search

The Mohican Board! [Bumppo's Redux!] © 1997-2024 - Mohican Press Go To Top Of Page
Current Mohicanland page raised in 0.59 seconds Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.07