The Mohican Board! [Bumppo's Redux!]
The Mohican Board! [Bumppo's Redux!]
10/8/2024 7:34:48 AM
On the Trail...Home | Old Mohican Board Archives | Purpose
Events | Polls | Photos | Classifieds | Downloads
Profile | Register | Members | Private Messages
Search | Posting Tips | FAQ | Web Links | Mohican Chat | Blogs
Forum Bookmarks | Unanswered Posts | Preview Topic Photos | Active Topics
Invite a Friend to the Mohican Board | Guestbook | Greeting Cards | Auction (0) | Colonial Recipe Book
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 COLONIAL TIMES
 The French & Indian War
 "George Washington's First War"......AAR
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
| More
Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Next Page

Author Previous Topic: Newbie Question About Heinz History Center Topic Next Topic: Reenactor Coalition for The War That Made America
Page: of 2

Seamus
Guardian of Heaven's Gate

Skull 2
USA

Bumppo's Patron since [at least]:
May 19 2002

Posted - May 22 2003 :  09:58:21 AM  Show Profile  Visit Seamus's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Well......what can I say....!!

Last night was the premier of Paladin Communications film, "George Washington's First War", a gala celebration held in Pittsburgh at the magnificent Soldiers and Sailors Memorial Hall. In attendance were about 2000 people, my estimate, including many of the re-enactors you can see in the film, and we were treated to a wonderful evening of displays, speakers, short subjects and, of course, the feature. Huzzahs to the Matzens, Robert and Mary, for all they did to make this film possible!!

We.......the Delaware, Huma Temmeu, Cpl. Dammer and yours truly....travelled a total of 516 miles to attend. This included stop at Old Bedford Village to assist with some school field trips (about 300 kids.......), a visit to Ft. Necessity and to General Edward Braddock's grave to pay our respects. Arriving home safely at 1:30 AM today, we still feel the afterglow of an eventful and wonderfully entertaining day! Another field trip for us will be to go to Jumonville Glen, where it all truly started, but alas, that must wait until another time.

The Augusta Regiment is quite visible in the film, as are several other characters who appear here on this Board. Ed Highlander (Highlander) and Ed Vogler (Sgt. Munro) do a fine job as 42nd Royal Highland Regiment participants, with Ed G. giving a very good interview account of Grant's defeat. Oh, yes........the snacks provided were quite good, too. Cpl. Dammer especially enjoyed the bruschetta! I told him not to fill his haversack with it because the olive oil would stain it and his regimental........so he settled for a bag full of mini-cream puffs. How embarrassing! He left the theater with confectioners' sugar all over his lips.

The scenery is great, the actors......re-enactors all.......do a fabulous job of showing the viewer how it was, and the scholarly contributions of some very high-powered educators make it all very easily understood.

A tip of the old tricorn to all who were involved in the making of this outstanding documentary!!!!!

You can get a DVD or VHS tape by contacting Paladin at

www.paladincom.com

Life's journey is not to
arrive at the grave safely
in a well preserved body,
but rather to skid in sideways,
totally worn out, shouting
'...holy sh*t ...what a ride!'

~~Mavis Leyrer, Seattle

Seamus

~~Aim small, hit the b*****d right between the eyes!~~
report to moderator

Highlander
Colonial Militia

Bushy Run painting
USA

February 04 2003

Posted - May 23 2003 :  12:11:32 AM  Show Profile  Visit Highlander's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
Thankyou or the kind words cousin.It was a very good turnout.I hope that we can do more like it for the upcoming 250th F&I Anniversary. Pax,Aye

Highlander
report to moderator Go to Top of Page

YoungNative
Pioneer

May 19 2003

Posted - May 23 2003 :  11:28:03 AM  Show Profile  Send YoungNative an AOL message  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
The film was well done. So much better then the first installment.

My congrats to the producers, directors, fellow re-enactors and everyone else involved in the undertaking of the film

As a high-school age student. I feel the educational aspect as well as the entertaining aspect of the film will be a great teaching tool.

Congrats again.

-Mark

"Re-enacting is life, the rest is just history." -me

"In the End, we will remember not the words of our enemies, but the silence of our friends." -M. L. King Jr.

"music is like this porthole into another world - the world of truth."
-Trey Anastasio

"you do not have to fear what goes bump in the night, when you become what lurks in the dark" - unknown

Seamus

Skull 2
USA

May 19 2002

Posted - May 24 2003 :  09:54:23 AM  Show Profile  Visit Seamus's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
Yes, Mark.........the educational aspect of the film is of utmost importance. It is amazing how few people are schooled in this period.

I am greatly pleased and heartened to know that young men, such as yourself, and young ladies, too, are taking an interest in the French and Indian War and in this hobby of Living History. More each year appear the camps and on the battlefields of the events, often with their whole families. Their historical interpretations are getting better, too. Those of us who have been in this game for many years will soon be unable to carry on, and to know that there are those coming along who can pick up our swords, muskets and colours tells us that our efforts are not in vain.

Thank you for being there, Lad! I would like very much to meet you at an event sometime. Please stop by the 3rd Battalion Pennsylvania camp, if you find us there, and make yourself known..........We will be at Cook Forest, and at Ticonderoga, both in June.

Life's journey is not to

~~Mavis Leyrer, Seattle

Seamus

Gadget Girl
Gatherer of Gathering Gadgets

Winking Lady
USA

May 17 2002

Donating Member

Posted - June 27 2003 :  1:25:16 PM  Show Profile  Send Gadget Girl an AOL message  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
Wanted to add my two cents worth here...

I have watched my copy of GWFW 2 times now, and still plan on another viewing this weekend to let it all sink in.

I think this movie is a must have for anyone wanting to understand the beginnings of the F&I War. I have read all the posts on this board about Kittaning and The Forbes Expedition, but never really had a grasp of the events until I saw this movie. The accounts were wonderful, but not having visited Pennsylvania until this last year, and not being familiar with the geography of the region, I had a hard time getting the full mental image of the set-up of these battles. This movie however makes it all come together!!!

Our own Seamus is seen in the early scenes and I saw Sgt MacWilliams' (Mark Hagenbuch) name in the credits, but was not sure whether I caught a glimpse of him or not (help MIKE!!!). A-N-D there are many scenes in which one can see Ed Highlander (as Bouquet and in an excellent interview), he is Highlander here on the board, and some great shots of Ed Vogler, Sgt. Munro to us. Wonderful job guys!!!!! Just Wonderful!

In the part where Ed G. is explaining the last portion of the Forbes Expedition, animated maps of the events appear under his narration. I found this SO helpful to get a mental picture of things. I also enjoyed the interviews (among them - Fred Anderson, author of Crucible of War).

Thanks so much guys for the heads up on this film, and your hard work in being a part of it! I REALLY enjoyed this movie and am thrilled to have it in my DVD collection!

STRONG WORK, BOYS!!!!! Now, I need to GO BACK and re-read my MacWilliam Chronicles. Always a pleasure!

GG

SgtMunro
Soldier of the King

Knight
USA

September 23 2002

Donating Member

Posted - June 29 2003 :  12:26:08 AM  Show Profile  Visit SgtMunro's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
Dear GG,
I'm glad you liked the movie. As far Sgt. MacWilliams, he is in several scenes. Where you see me marching at the head of my men, just look to your right (my left) and you will see him at the head of his grenadiers. Most of the marching scenes were shot with us in files by units, the grenadiers located at the formation left (Which is the position of honor, in military circles). Also, he is wearing a blonde period wig under his bonnet (That should help you find him amongst the gunpowder smoke). I hope this helps out some.

P.S.- The scalped highlander, with the black wig was also me. I was one of the few silly enough to lay face down in the mud.

Your Humble Servant,

Serjeant-Major Duncan Munro
Capt. Thos. Graham's Coy.
42nd Royal Highland Regiment of Foote
(The Black Sheep of the Black Watch)

"Nemo Me Impune Lacessit"
-Or-
"Recruit locally, fight globally."

Highlander
Colonial Militia

Bushy Run painting
USA

February 04 2003

Posted - June 29 2003 :  01:14:05 AM  Show Profile  Visit Highlander's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by Gadget Girl

Wanted to add my two cents worth here...

I have watched my copy of GWFW 2 times now, and still plan on another viewing this weekend to let it all sink in.

I think this movie is a must have for anyone wanting to understand the beginnings of the F&I War. I have read all the posts on this board about Kittaning and The Forbes Expedition, but never really had a grasp of the events until I saw this movie. The accounts were wonderful, but not having visited Pennsylvania until this last year, and not being familiar with the geography of the region, I had a hard time getting the full mental image of the set-up of these battles. This movie however makes it all come together!!!

Our own Seamus is seen in the early scenes and I saw Sgt MacWilliams' (Mark Hagenbuch) name in the credits, but was not sure whether I caught a glimpse of him or not (help MIKE!!!). A-N-D there are many scenes in which one can see Ed Highlander (as Bouquet and in an excellent interview), he is Highlander here on the board, and some great shots of Ed Vogler, Sgt. Munro to us. Wonderful job guys!!!!! Just Wonderful!

In the part where Ed G. is explaining the last portion of the Forbes Expedition, animated maps of the events appear under his narration. I found this SO helpful to get a mental picture of things. I also enjoyed the interviews (among them - Fred Anderson, author of Crucible of War).

Thanks so much guys for the heads up on this film, and your hard work in being a part of it! I REALLY enjoyed this movie and am thrilled to have it in my DVD collection!

STRONG WORK, BOYS!!!!! Now, I need to GO BACK and re-read my MacWilliam Chronicles. Always a pleasure!

GG

GG,Thankyou for the kind words.I'm glad that you enjoyed it.We are now in negotiations with the director for a third movie on Pontiac's War,in order to finish the story.We intend to make the third in the trilogy even better than the last.We couldn't have done it without all of the dedicated reenactors who were involved.A special thanks to Chuck Smith and John Debelak at the Fort Pitt Museum,for allowing us to use the bust of William Pitt and the model of Fort Duquesne in our production.

Highlander

Highlander
Colonial Militia

Bushy Run painting
USA

February 04 2003

Posted - November 16 2003 :  01:25:53 AM  Show Profile  Visit Highlander's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
I am happy to say that the next film is already in the planning stages.This will feature our hero GW and the years of his life from the end of F&I to the beginning of the RevWar(1759-1774).Of particular interest to anyone who has followed the first two movies will be the inclusion of Pontiac's War and its effect on Virginia.At this time GW was retired from military service,but sat on the House of Burgesses,where he took a personal interest in the indian raids into what was then Augusta County.He also mentions Col.Bouquet's expedition to relieve Ft.Pitt.We will be doing another casting call to cover"The Battle of Bushy Run".Of interest will be highlanders(of course),various 60th Royal American units,and all of you frontier/longhunter types.

Highlander

Highlander
Colonial Militia

Bushy Run painting
USA

February 04 2003

Posted - November 17 2003 :  03:06:49 AM  Show Profile  Visit Highlander's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by Highlander

I am happy to say that the next film is already in the planning stages.This will feature our hero GW and the years of his life from the end of F&I to the beginning of the RevWar(1759-1774).Of particular interest to anyone who has followed the first two movies will be the inclusion of Pontiac's War and its effect on Virginia.At this time GW was retired from military service,but sat on the House of Burgesses,where he took a personal interest in the indian raids into what was then Augusta County.He also mentions Col.Bouquet's expedition to relieve Ft.Pitt.We will be doing another casting call to cover"The Battle of Bushy Run".Of interest will be highlanders(of course),various 60th Royal American units,and all of you frontier/longhunter types.

This film will probably be filmed during late spring/summer to get the right time frame for Pontiac's War.We are looking at Cook's Forest as a possible site.Is anyone interested? Don't worry Frenchie,you can come too.There is a written account of some Frenchmen attacking Ft.Presque Isle with the indians.

Highlander

Grenouille
Colonial Settler

May 17 2002

Posted - November 17 2003 :  11:32:15 PM  Show Profile  Visit Grenouille's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
Hello Highlander,
If you guys are intested in shooting the film at Cook Forest, I'll let Dale know. He'll be able to hook you up. A good time to shoot some footage would be during the F & I encampment, because we'll have quite a few Natives and Brits. This year's date will be June 20 & 21, 2004.

Did you get to see any of the footage that Robert M. shot about a month ago at Doddridge's Fort for the DVD version? I was going to give him a call to see if they were going to post any of the pictures they took that day on their website.

Regards,
Jim

Highlander
Colonial Militia

Bushy Run painting
USA

February 04 2003

Posted - November 17 2003 :  11:43:12 PM  Show Profile  Visit Highlander's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by Grenouille

Hello Highlander,
If you guys are intested in shooting the film at Cook Forest, I'll let Dale know. He'll be able to hook you up. A good time to shoot some footage would be during the F & I encampment, because we'll have quite a few Natives and Brits. This year's date will be June 20 & 21, 2004.

Did you get to see any of the footage that Robert M. shot about a month ago at Doddridge's Fort for the DVD version? I was going to give him a call to see if they were going to post any of the pictures they took that day on their website.

Regards,
Jim

Good idea Jim.When I last spoke with Bob at the Jumonville F&I Seminar,he stated that he will be renovating the website soon.I didn't get to see the footage from Doderidge's Fort,but I hear that its fantastic!Thanks for offering to hook us up with Dale.He's a good guy,always ready to lend a hand.

I'll keep you posted.

Highlander

SgtMunro
Soldier of the King

Knight
USA

September 23 2002

Donating Member

Posted - January 12 2004 :  12:16:50 PM  Show Profile  Visit SgtMunro's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
Below are some images from the filming of GWFW

Image Insert:

26.75 KB

Director Robert Matzen (right), briefs reenactors on 'Last Stand' scene

Image Insert:

36.28 KB

Captain Poulharie (1stSGT Lance Wilson, U.S. Army) and his Royal Rousillon Grenadiers

Image Insert:

26.52 KB

Welethetowaco (Tom Vecchio, who is an actual adopted member of the Lenape Tribe) contemplates his responsibilities of War Captain

Image Insert:

32.47 KB

Reenactors ready themselves for the 'Siege of Fort Ligonier' scene

Image Insert:

51.91 KB

Premiere night at Soldiers and Sailors Hall, in the Oakland portion of Pittsburgh, Pitt University's Cathedral of Learning is in the background

Most Humbily Submitted,

-Or-

Highlander
Colonial Militia

Bushy Run painting
USA

February 04 2003

Posted - January 12 2004 :  3:25:38 PM  Show Profile  Visit Highlander's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
Too bad we don't have any shots of the "murder pond" scene.Butchko,er I mean Major Grant,said that I have a genuine look of terror on my face.He had a similar look on his face I;m certain,when he discovered the Swedish flag flying over Ft.Ligonier.

Highlander

SgtMunro
Soldier of the King

Knight
USA

September 23 2002

Donating Member

Posted - January 12 2004 :  3:38:29 PM  Show Profile  Visit SgtMunro's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
Oh no!!! I almost forgot about those photos, I still have them. Don't forget that the Egyptian flag flew over the fort on that day too. You got to love Paul Day, who else would carry a Grand Union, a Sweedish Ensign and Egyptian Standard in the truck of their car?

Your Most Humble Servant,

-Or-

lonewolf
Colonial Settler

Lonewolf

February 12 2004

Posted - February 14 2004 :  12:53:43 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
Bezahn (greetings),
I will be in attendance at the 250th of the Ft. Necessity debacle. Since I am not a re-enactor, but the "real thing", they don't seem to know what to do with me. But I do enjoy going to the places where my people fought for their survival. My people tried to kill Washington at that location and at Braddock's defeat at the Monongahela.
Ironically, I am now married to a descendant of the Washington- Lee family of Virginia. Thomas Lee formed the Ohio Company in 1748 to steal Indian land in Western Penna. He brought his "poor cousins" the Washingtons in with him in this "real estate scam". The governor of Penna. wasn't too happy with Virginian schemes to steal land in the frontier sections of Penna., especially since the Virginians had their eyes on the "Three Rivers" area. My Shawnee people were more than happy to welcome the Virginians (the Long Knives). Their scalps looked good hanging on poles in our villages. We hated having to kill Scots, we wished they had sided with us, since the English treated the Scots in the same manner as they treated us. We also loved bagpipe music, but wondered why Scottish men wore the skirts of women. We admired the fact that they were brave warriors. Fortunately, our war chief, Tecumseh, put a stop to torturing enemy warriors.
If I can make it to the 250th, I will be the blue faced Shawnee with the three white dots on each side of my face (honoring the council of thethree rivers), which still exists. I will be wearing a gustaweh on my head, as very few of us wore dish rags on our heads. I see this on a lot of re-enactors, and I really get a good laugh at it!
I was there one year and a re-enactor had a headress full of pheasant feathers. Pheasants aren't native to North America, being introduced from China in 1810. A little late for the 1754 battle at Ft. Necessity. Wild turkey feathers would have been appropriate.
If you see me there, come up and shake my hand. The reason that I don't engage in re-enactments is the fact that I refuse to fall on the ground in front of Shawanucks (whites). I guess it is some sort of "collective memory" in my DNA. LOL!

Kongo-neeleemah,

Ken Lonewolf/ Shawnee-Seneca-Oneida

Ken Lonewolf

lonewolf
Colonial Settler

Lonewolf

February 12 2004

Posted - February 14 2004 :  1:33:49 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
Bezahn,
Forgot to tell you that since the Yengese (English) were "landhungry", we stuffed dirt in their mouths before or after killing them.
Bon Appetite!
War was not a "game", still isn't! It is brutal in the extreme, and to be avoided at all costs.
The 1790's were particularly bad on the frontier. Indians and whites alike slept with one eye open, and the attrocities committed by both sides were horrible. The rivers almost literally ran red with blood.
My descendants of the Shawnee people and our former white settler enemies, are today, through inter- marriage, all one family. We attend family reunions near Bushy Run Battlefield. The Indian side of the family show up in Native regalia, and we share food and genealogy. This is the way it could have been 250 years ago, if the whites hadn't come to steal everything.
"Sharing", an Indian trait, is much nicer.
One of my white ancestor's log cabin is now at rebuilt Hannastown, near Greensburg, Penna., a few miles down the Forbes Road from Bushy Run. The original Hannastown and fort were burned to the ground. I was at a re-enactment at Bushy Run two years ago and met the descendent of the man who ran "Byerly's Station" at that location during the actual battle. We shook hands and agreed that if things had gone "just a bit different" for our ancestors, we wouldn't have been there to shake hands. We had a good laugh! It was a good day.

Ken Lonewolf

Ken Lonewolf

Highlander
Colonial Militia

Bushy Run painting
USA

February 04 2003

Posted - February 14 2004 :  10:22:13 PM  Show Profile  Visit Highlander's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
And what does this have to do with George Washington's First War?I wasn't aware that any tribe layed claim to the land in Western Pa.It was a hunting ground,much as Kentucky was.If not,then where's your casino?

Highlander

lonewolf
Colonial Settler

Lonewolf

February 12 2004

Posted - February 15 2004 :  12:48:09 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
Bezahn Highlander,
My people put a lot of "Highlanders" like yourself in six feet of earth during "George Washington's First War". We defeated the Black Watch at Pittsburgh. We met Braddock's Highlanders at the Monongahela River in 1755. I don't believe that they fared quite as well as we did in that engagement. Our people "shared" land, but had territories in which certain tribes lived, and the Shawnee lived in Western Pennsylvania. We had four Shawnee towns on the Kiskiminetas River. I was born about one mile from Shawnee Old Town. What's with your "attitude"? Can you not discuss issues without attacking people? Is the "casino" remark a smear directed at me, and all Native Americans? Do you treat African Americans in the same manner? Or do you just not like real Indians?
I don't set foot in casinos, as I don't like them. They are turning my people into something that I don't like. Money is giving them "white attitudes". They are becoming "greedy", and not caring for all tribal members; the children and the elderly. All land was "hunting land". We have been here for forty thousand years, and we never needed a white lawyer to draw up little pieces of paper to tell us who belonged to land. That is exactly what started the French and Indian War. Washington and his surveyors and greedy land speculators. We don't think like whites, something you might want to think about, before getting little "digs" in on us.

Seems as though you have a closed mind. You may wish to direct your insults to someone who will put up with your narrow- mindedness. You obviously don't know anything of real Native American culture, my friend.
If you ever attend a pow-wow, I would strongly advise you to keep your mouth closed and your eyes and ears open. You learn more that way.

Ken Lonewolf

P.S. My wife is descended of the Washington-Lee family of Virginia, Thomas Lee forming the Ohio Company, and his cousin George Washington joining him in his land stealing operation. My children carry the DNA of both the Shawnee and white side of "George Washington's First War", including Washington himself.

Ken Lonewolf

Theresa
Bumppo's Tavern Proprietress

Theresa
USA

May 17 2002

Posted - February 15 2004 :  2:11:41 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
You know, Lonewolf, I feel all here can learn a great deal from you. I'm glad you're here...welcome again.

Theresa

Seamus

Skull 2
USA

May 19 2002

Posted - February 15 2004 :  2:38:10 PM  Show Profile  Visit Seamus's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
Bezahn Lonewolf! I wish to echo Theresa's welcome to the Board. Not everyone here will treat you, or anyone else, with the disrespect and downright racism you suffered earlier. It is intolerable and unacceptable, and I am ashamed that this occurred. Furthermore, as a Moderator of this Forum, I can assure you that steps are being taken to prevent a re-occurrence. Plesae accept my, and our, apologies. You are a man whom I would love to meet and get to know, and I am sure many others here in Mohicanland share my thoughts. I, too, believe you have much to teach us all.

I, too, am from the area you came from, having been born and raised in Kittanning. I am familiar with the Kiskiminetas, primarily in the Vandergrift/Apollo areas. How long have you been away from there? I notice, too, from your Profile that we share some interests, such as battlefields, painting, and history. Sorry, I am NOT a flier! Not enough little white bags in the world for me!

Anyway--welcome, sincerely...............

Life's journey is not to

~~Mavis Leyrer, Seattle

Seamus

Wilderness Woman
Watcher of the Wood

Young George Washington
USA

November 27 2002

Donating Member

Posted - February 15 2004 :  2:42:55 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
Lonewolf, I agree completely with what Theresa and Seamus have said. I sincerely hope that you will be able to overlook Highlander's remarks, and will stick around. You are most welcome here.

Mr. Highlander.
I kept silent when you recently attacked both Theresa and me in the Iraq War threads, telling myself to simply consider the source. I made a vow to myself that I would never again address you directly but, unfortunately, now I find that I must.

Your obvious contempt for intelligent women who dare to venture an opinion, and your nasty, vicious attacks on people who are trying to do the best they can at their government-mandated jobs, are enough to cause a person to form a pretty negative opinion of you.

But I find racist remarks such as the ones you posted above to be absolutely inexcusable, intolerable, and the product of a very small mind.

Good day, "Sir."

lonewolf
Colonial Settler

Lonewolf

February 12 2004

Posted - February 16 2004 :  12:04:47 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
Greetings,

Highlander has much to learn. I am probably much older than him, as I am a sixty four year old Shawnee elder. I have probably had more time than him to experience the joys and the downsides of life. I have met many kinds of people, and the overwhelming majority are very good people. I have noticed that those lacking in real education and being insecure with themselves, tend to say things for shock value. This is sad. By acting in this manner, they diminish themselves in the eyes of others. One of the greatest joys of life is listening to what others have to say, listening to their stories. I don't think that the Creator ever meant for us to all agree on everything, but I do believe that He expects us to treat each other with respect.
We are all brothers and sisters on this earth. We need to treat each other as such. When you say things to hurt your brothers and sisters, you are not living "in a good way".
In our culture "thought comes before speech". Maybe Highlander could spend more time thinking, prior to talking. Let's hope that he improves himself.

Aho,

Ken Lonewolf

Ken Lonewolf

lonewolf
Colonial Settler

Lonewolf

February 12 2004

Posted - February 16 2004 :  12:44:38 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
Wanishi (thank you) Theresa and Seamus,

I was born in Vandergrift on what was left of a white ancestor's English King's land grant from the mid 1700's. The grant was for what is now the entire town of Vandergrift. I graduated from Leechburg High School. I am real familiar with the town of Kittaning (Kit-hanne) or "place at the wide river", a former Munsee Delaware town. I also know who Colonel Armstrong was, as I lived in Armstrong County.
I go there and sprinkle tobacco at the river's edge to honor the ancestors who are buried at this beautiful location.
I have been living in Charlotte, N.C. for over thirty years, working here as a Mechanical Engineer, and part time fencing (swordfighting) instructor at a local college.
I visit Penna. every year in the summer. We hold our Lenni-Lenape pow wows at Saltsburg every August. Mostly Shawnees and Munsee Delawares. Saltsburg was the site of Shawnee Chief Kekenapaulin's village. Chief Blackleg's town was further up the Connemaugh River, (Conn-e-makke-sipu) or river of beavers. Shawnee Old Town, the most ancient village was between Vandergrift and Leechburg on the opposite side of the Kiskiminetas River. The village of "White Plains" became Leechburg. All four were Shawnee villages. Saltsburg was the site of indian salt mining before the whites came. George Croghan and Christopher Gist traded at these villages. Raids were conducted up the Loyalhanna Creek from Saltsburg, in an attempt to burn Fort Ligonier.
We never suceeded at that objective. But I am in their Ft. Ligoneir Days parade every year in October, representing the Shawnee side of the battle. The parade people welcome me, and the fort people treat me like crap. Oh well!!! Fort Hand is just down the road from where my sister lives between Leechburg and Apollo. We attempted to take that blockhouse, but the women loaded muskets so fast and handed them to the men, that the rapid fire drove us off. What's that phrase about "women scorned"? LOL!

Take care my friends,

Ken Lonewolf

Ken Lonewolf

Fitz Williams
Colonial Militia

USA

May 19 2002

Posted - February 16 2004 :  02:08:46 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
quote:
Part time fencing instructor

At which college? I was involved with a program at Furman University in Greenville, SC, and with a local Fencing Club also. We had a good group of "older" people for a time, but now it seems that the only ones interested are the kids (18 and under). It's a shame that when a university provides all the equipment and facilities, no one takes advantage of it. Last fall, at the Camden reenactment, I met a sutler who loves fencing, so this year I am going to carry my equipment and hope he returns.

Seamus

Skull 2
USA

May 19 2002

Posted - February 16 2004 :  05:11:04 AM  Show Profile  Visit Seamus's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
Bezahn Lonewolf,

I know well these places of which you speak, and am familiar with the locations of the villages of the Shawnee. Today I have relatives in Leechburg, friends in Saltsburg (played SHS in basketball long ago!)whom we visit at least annually, friends in Apollo and dated a girl from Vandergrift in my youth. She and I discovered, to our great surprise, that my father and her mother dated when they were young! We all had a good chuckle over that! I have shot rifle competitions at Ft. Hand Sportsman's Club.

Yes, I portray Armstrong at times. And while I do that, I am keenly aware of all that happened to OUR peoples during that dark and bloody period of history, and my heart hurts for them all....on both sides. I feel it is important for people today to know and understand what happened and why, and my role in that is to do what I do....on the field and off.

When I saw your Profile picture, the 'where have I seen him before' syndrome kicked in. I know now who you are. I have seen you at Ligonier. Our unit goes to Ft. Ligonier Days in October; I have seen you there. We are the green-coated Provincials. When in August is your pow wow? If it is possible, I would like to come to it. If I cannot, perhaps I will see you at Ligonier in October. We will be there Friday, probably in the larger Officer's hut. I will be there Thursday night at the Ramada in town. Maybe we can get together.

Life's journey is not to

~~Mavis Leyrer, Seattle

Seamus

Seamus

Skull 2
USA

May 19 2002

Posted - February 16 2004 :  05:20:16 AM  Show Profile  Visit Seamus's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
Lonewolf,

Do you remember Elliott's Jewelry store in Leechburg? Everett (Junior), the proprietor, is my mother's cousin. His brother, Kenneth, was the State Farm agent. Ken and his wife still live there, Junior is deceased. My uncle worked at J&L Steel as a roller for 30-some years.

Life's journey is not to

~~Mavis Leyrer, Seattle

Seamus

Page: of 2 Previous Topic: Newbie Question About Heinz History Center Topic Next Topic: Reenactor Coalition for The War That Made America  
Next Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
| More
Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Jump To:

Around The Site:
~ What's New? ~
Pathfinding | Mohican Gatherings | Mohican Musings | LOTM Script | History | Musical Musings | Storefronts on the Frontier
Off the Beaten Trail | Links
Of Special Interest:
The Eric Schweig Gallery | From the Ramparts | The Listening Room | Against All Odds | The Video Clips Index

DISCLAIMER
Tune, 40, used by permission - composed by Ron Clarke

Custom Search

The Mohican Board! [Bumppo's Redux!] © 1997-2024 - Mohican Press Go To Top Of Page
Current Mohicanland page raised in 0.62 seconds Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.07