The Mohican Board! [Bumppo's Redux!]
The Mohican Board! [Bumppo's Redux!]
10/8/2024 9:45:22 AM
On the Trail...Home | Old Mohican Board Archives | Purpose
Events | Polls | Photos | Classifieds | Downloads
Profile | Register | Members | Private Messages
Search | Posting Tips | FAQ | Web Links | Mohican Chat | Blogs
Forum Bookmarks | Unanswered Posts | Preview Topic Photos | Active Topics
Invite a Friend to the Mohican Board | Guestbook | Greeting Cards | Auction (0) | Colonial Recipe Book
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 COLONIAL TIMES
 The French & Indian War
 "George Washington's First War"......AAR
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
| More
Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Previous Page

Author Previous Topic: Newbie Question About Heinz History Center Topic Next Topic: Reenactor Coalition for The War That Made America
Page: of 2

lonewolf
Colonial Settler

Lonewolf

Bumppo's Patron since [at least]:
February 12 2004

Posted - February 16 2004 :  11:17:41 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
Bezahn,
I figured that one of you would recognize me from Ligonier. The people at the fort won't let me in without paying admission. I told them that next time I had to pay, I was going to bring a book of matches and finish the job that my ancestors didn't. LOL! They really don't know what to do with "real" indians. Seamus; maybe you can "sneak" me in!
I taught fencing at Central Piedmont Community College in Charlotte for about fifteen years in the evenings. This school is the biggest college in the state of N.C. My favorite weapon is the epee or dueling sword. No rules, just bash your opponent! It's great. Our junior college used to go to Duke and Chapel Hill and kick their butts. We also fenced at Wofford and Furman. Went to a few matches in Atlanta, as well.
I vaquely remember Elliot's Jewelry store in Leechburg. I hate to drive through what was our shopping district, since half of the stores are now closed. It was nice before shopping malls ruined the small businesses. Of course this is true of most of the small towns. My late father retired from Allegheny Ludlum Steel in Leechburg. He worked there for over thirty years. Things are kind of bad in the area, since so many jobs went overseas and to Mexico. I never thought that I would see the day when the Pittsburgh steel mills were bulldozed. Of course, I never thought that it would be possible to see "blue sky" in Pittsburgh either. LOL! Have any of you been to the Heinz museum in the strip district in Pittsburgh? If you haven't, I highly recommend it. Plan an entire day there.
I wish that they would remove the fountain at the Triangle, and reconstruct Fort Pitt. Sad that it was used as a brick quarry in the early 1800's. The real Fort Pitt is now the foundations of several buildings in Pittsburgh. What is left of the original fort displays fantastic masonry work. A real tribute to those who made the bricks on site and put them up. They were skilled military engineers. Restoring it would be a real tourist draw. They can put the fountain over by the football stadium.
I will post the exact date of our Saltsburg pow-wow, as soon as I learn the exact dates. It will be in August. It is held a few miles out of town in the middle of no-where. In fact it is about a half-mile past "nowhere". Good pow-wow though.
Amazingly, there are thousands of indians in Western Pennsylvania whose ancestors hid in the mountains during the "indian removals" of the 1830's. Therefore , there are still many of us around, even though a lot are mixed-bloods like myself. All indian blood in me comes from my mother's side. The important side!

Take care,

Ken Lonewolf

P.S. Highlander's racism didn't bother me as much as his "attitude". I didn't wish to run him off. He simply has much to learn. You wouldn't believe some of the racist remarks indians have to put up with. I attribute it to lack of Native American history education in the public school systems. And the federal government's attitude that they wished we would all "go away".
We are having a big "grand opening" of the "Museum of the American Indian" in Washington, D.C. this Sept. I am planning on going.
President Bush probably won't show up, since his treatment of indians starts at "deplorable" and works down; but hey, we won't miss him.
Hope people put him out of office in November.
Gotta run, take care,

Ken Lonewolf

Ken Lonewolf
report to moderator Go to Top of Page

Seamus
Guardian of Heaven's Gate

Skull 2
USA

May 19 2002

Posted - February 16 2004 :  12:47:45 PM  Show Profile  Visit Seamus's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
Bezahn Lonewolf,

I misspoke the steel mill my uncle was at....it WAS Allegheny Ludlum, not J&L.....sorry about that. That's what comes of thinking faster than I type and THAT is slow! His name was Allen Stewart. Possible he and your father knew each other........

You are right about small town businesses and ghost town business districts. It is sad going home.........

Life's journey is not to
arrive at the grave safely
in a well preserved body,
but rather to skid in sideways,
totally worn out, shouting
'...holy sh*t ...what a ride!'

~~Mavis Leyrer, Seattle

Seamus

~~Aim small, hit the b*****d right between the eyes!~~

Fitz Williams
Colonial Militia

USA

May 19 2002

Posted - February 17 2004 :  09:58:32 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
quote:
My favorite weapon is the epee or dueling sword

Doesn't anybody like sabre? The first time I fenced sabre was at a small competition. I entered foil only, and that was finished first. Then the epee. There were only a few entries in sabre, so this guy in our club, who was from the Czech Republic, said that if I would enter sabre he would too. We thought we could treat the sabre like a foil and do fairly well. WRONG! They beat on us like a drum! Quite an experience. After that I tried to learn sabre, but no one seemed interested around here.

SgtMunro
Soldier of the King

Knight
USA

September 23 2002

Donating Member

Posted - February 18 2004 :  6:48:35 PM  Show Profile  Visit SgtMunro's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
I'm partial to the sabre myself, Fitz. I am also studying the use of the broadsword and backsword in 'Highland Style' fencing. One of these days I might actually complete an excercise without hurting myself.

Serjeant-Major Duncan Munro
Capt. Thos. Graham's Coy.
42nd Royal Highland Regiment of Foote
(The Black Sheep of the Black Watch)

"Nemo Me Impune Lacessit"
-Or-
"Recruit locally, fight globally."

Jumonville
Pathfinder

Captain Jack Winthrop

August 30 2003

Posted - March 02 2004 :  9:18:11 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
Several of those Highlanders need to lay off the pizza, pierogies and beer before those belts break.

Seamus
Guardian of Heaven's Gate

Skull 2
USA

May 19 2002

Posted - March 02 2004 :  9:29:02 PM  Show Profile  Visit Seamus's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
That seems to be a common malady in this game! T'is all the modern-day good living.....

me ownself included!

Life's journey is not to
arrive at the grave safely
in a well preserved body,
but rather to skid in sideways,
totally worn out, shouting
'...holy sh*t ...what a ride!'

~~Mavis Leyrer, Seattle

Seamus

~~Aim small, hit the b*****d right between the eyes!~~

SgtMunro
Soldier of the King

Knight
USA

September 23 2002

Donating Member

Posted - March 03 2004 :  12:52:59 AM  Show Profile  Visit SgtMunro's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
quote:
Jumonville observes: Several of those Highlanders need to lay off the pizza, pierogies and beer before those belts break.

Well Mr. Jumonville, I'll be the first to agree that my current physique is not 'Historically Correct', but I am also at the age of which I would have been retired as 'Unfit For Active Service'. When I was in my late teens/early twenties (The average age of a British Soldier of that period), I was also in very good physical shape. During that period in my life I was also 'playing soldier' in the real world, with real enemies that shot real bullets. I appologize if the reenactors (both British and French), myself included, were not as visually appealing as you had wished. I hope that it did not detract from the overall production.

Your Most Humble Servant,

-Or-

richfed
Sachem

King 1
USA

May 13 2002

Administrator

Posted - March 03 2004 :  05:55:16 AM  Show Profile  Visit richfed's Homepage  Click to see richfed's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
Hey - I love you guys as is ... AND, ya do a fine job! Thanks ...

Wilderness Woman
Watcher of the Wood

Young George Washington
USA

November 27 2002

Donating Member

Posted - March 03 2004 :  08:20:53 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
Hey... as far as I am concerned, just about any man in a kilt is verra sexy!

Judging from her recent comments regarding "kilt lifters", I think Gadget Girl would agree with me quite heartily, right GG?

"It is more deeply stirring to my blood than any imaginings could possibly have been."

Gadget Girl
Gatherer of Gathering Gadgets

Winking Lady
USA

May 17 2002

Donating Member

Posted - March 03 2004 :  09:41:32 AM  Show Profile  Send Gadget Girl an AOL message  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by Wilderness Woman

Hey... as far as I am concerned, just about any man in a kilt is verra sexy!

Judging from her recent comments regarding "kilt lifters", I think Gadget Girl would agree with me quite heartily, right GG?

WW, I think your signature quote says it all!

You see, for YEARS I have been seeking the answer to that age-old question..."What is worn under a kilt?" If I simply ask... I am given one of two answers:

1) NOTHING - everything works just fine!

-OR-

2) Nothing but lipstick!

Therefore, since there is not a consensus I must remain "in search of" until after YEARS of exhaustive investigative trials, I reach my own conclusion! It's a tough job and all PURELY scientific!

GG

SgtMunro
Soldier of the King

Knight
USA

September 23 2002

Donating Member

Posted - March 03 2004 :  4:00:50 PM  Show Profile  Visit SgtMunro's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
Thanks for the kind words, guys. I like the 'verra sexy' statement WW, you sure know how to raise a guy's spirits.

I might be able to add to your field research, GG. My answer to the question goes as follows, "A lady doesn't ask and a woman already knows." That answer is usually good for a slight blush and/or giggle...

-Or-

lonewolf
Colonial Settler

Lonewolf

February 12 2004

Posted - March 11 2004 :  12:48:32 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
Hi Seamus,

I am in the parade at Ligonier every October to represent "the other side" of that battle. Someone has to tell the other side of the story. And I am there to honor my ancestors who fought on both sides of the roughly seventy years of warfare on the Western Frontier in the 1700's.
I enjoy the parade, but have complained about the shabby treatment that I have received at the fort. Since I am not a re-enactor, I have to pay full price to enter. Then I have been told by the crowd control people to "get the hell down the hill" since I am not a re-enactor. I just wanted to view an attack by the French up the hill to the British line. I wear the regalia of my Shawnee ancestors at the fort, but they really don't know what to do with a real Indian. They wouldn't even let a Shawnee indian friend (in regalia)into the bookstore. She told them that she wasn't going into the fort area, but just wanted to buy me a book for my birthday in Nov. She sat outside until I came out of the fort. I bought the book later. Wasn't much of a birthday "surprise". I thanked my friend for the thought and for her kindness.
The parade committee which requests my attendance in the parade every year, has informed me that they have nothing to do with the people who run the fort.
So, next Oct., I will remain outside the front of the fort on the grassy area and talk to tourists about Indian culture and our part in the wars of the frontier. Something that I enjoy doing. They love to take my picture with their kids.

I'll keep you informed as to the Saltsburg pow-wow. I am fairly sure that it will be the third weekend in Aug. You will need directions to find the pow-wow grounds.

Take care,

Ken Lonewolf

Ken Lonewolf

richfed
Sachem

King 1
USA

May 13 2002

Administrator

Posted - March 11 2004 :  05:04:24 AM  Show Profile  Visit richfed's Homepage  Click to see richfed's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
Hi Lonewolf -

I don't understand your statement, which you've made a couple of times, that you are not a re-enactor. Yet, you also say that you dress in the regalia of your Shawnee ancestors, in effect, re-enacting another time & place.

If I were of say, Scottish descent - which I'm not, but am quite certain that at least some "re-enactors" are - and I decided to dress in a Highlander uniform of the period, am I reenacting or just being me?

From my point of view, it doesn't really matter what your ethnicity is - if you are faithfully recreating another time & place and/or event, then you are a re-enactor.

Curious as to your take on this ...

SgtMunro
Soldier of the King

Knight
USA

September 23 2002

Donating Member

Posted - March 11 2004 :  4:53:08 PM  Show Profile  Visit SgtMunro's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
quote:
From my point of view, it doesn't really matter what your ethnicity is - if you are faithfully recreating another time & place and/or event, then you are a re-enactor.

I agree Sachem, if one faithfully represents the ancestors of either themselves or somebody else it is reenacting a period in history. Reenacting means, at least in my opinion, to pay homage to those who have come before you.

If you do ever change your mind about donning the kilt, let me know...

-Or-

Fitz Williams
Colonial Militia

USA

May 19 2002

Posted - March 11 2004 :  8:29:22 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
At the reenactments I have been to, you are either a sutler, a demonstrator, or a reenactor. You specify which. If you are a sutler, then you will be selling wares. If you are a reenactor, then you will be in the battle, or whatever. If you a re a demonstrator, you set up at a designated site and talk to the public about your craft, Indian trade, blacksmithing, weaving, flint knapping, farming. It sounds like Lonewolf falls in the latter category. It should be easy enough to submit a form and get back the proper approval and invitation. Or so it seems. Might even join in with the French. There would be no problems around here.

lonewolf
Colonial Settler

Lonewolf

February 12 2004

Posted - March 12 2004 :  12:24:32 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
Seamus,
Contact me at lonewlf99@aol.com

Ken Lonewolf

Ken Lonewolf

lonewolf
Colonial Settler

Lonewolf

February 12 2004

Posted - March 12 2004 :  12:46:48 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
Hi Guys,
I don't do re-enactments, but enjoy watching the action.
I go to honor the ancestors, and my regalia also honors them. I dance pow-wows in this regalia, which is what it was made for. It honors my Shawnee people. There are a lot of different regalia at pow-wows, and believe it or not, this is our modern day ceremonial attire. Kind of like the Polish dress to do their traditional dances, with their traditional dress with the wonderful embroidery and the red leather boots. The women are especially beautiful. They are not re-enacting. They, like us, simply are carrying on our tradition. If you attend a pow-wow, it will enlighten as to why we dress this way.
On fencing, I never did care for all of the welts received from fencing sabre. Epee (the dueling sword)is the closest to the real thing.
I don't fence competition anymore since my knees have taken a bit of a beating over the forty years that I fenced competition, but I am still able to teach. The foil is only a teaching aid to fence epee.

Take care ya'll (been in the South too long),

Ken Lonewolf

Ken Lonewolf

richfed
Sachem

King 1
USA

May 13 2002

Administrator

Posted - March 13 2004 :  06:27:42 AM  Show Profile  Visit richfed's Homepage  Click to see richfed's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
Ok - not sure I fully understand the subtle difference, but will leave it at that!

My next question - since you attend, & dress for, reenactments, why don't you participate?

lonewolf
Colonial Settler

Lonewolf

February 12 2004

Posted - March 21 2004 :  10:23:22 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
Good question Richfed,

I will have to think on that one.

Ken Lonewolf

Ken Lonewolf

SgtMunro
Soldier of the King

Knight
USA

September 23 2002

Donating Member

Posted - March 22 2004 :  10:35:33 AM  Show Profile  Visit SgtMunro's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
Lonewolf,
I understand why you refuse to take part in reenactments, and that's cool. You might want to consider taking part at Bushy Run, since they do not allow 'casualties', you would not compromise your honor. What do you think? It would be a way of compromise, without compromise...

Just something to think about...

-Or-
Page: of 2 Previous Topic: Newbie Question About Heinz History Center Topic Next Topic: Reenactor Coalition for The War That Made America  
Previous Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
| More
Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Jump To:

Around The Site:
~ What's New? ~
Pathfinding | Mohican Gatherings | Mohican Musings | LOTM Script | History | Musical Musings | Storefronts on the Frontier
Off the Beaten Trail | Links
Of Special Interest:
The Eric Schweig Gallery | From the Ramparts | The Listening Room | Against All Odds | The Video Clips Index

DISCLAIMER
Tune, 40, used by permission - composed by Ron Clarke

Custom Search

The Mohican Board! [Bumppo's Redux!] © 1997-2024 - Mohican Press Go To Top Of Page
Current Mohicanland page raised in 0.52 seconds Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.07