The Mohican Board! [Bumppo's Redux!]
The Mohican Board! [Bumppo's Redux!]
10/8/2024 5:31:51 AM
On the Trail...Home | Old Mohican Board Archives | Purpose
Events | Polls | Photos | Classifieds | Downloads
Profile | Register | Members | Private Messages
Search | Posting Tips | FAQ | Web Links | Mohican Chat | Blogs
Forum Bookmarks | Unanswered Posts | Preview Topic Photos | Active Topics
Invite a Friend to the Mohican Board | Guestbook | Greeting Cards | Auction (0) | Colonial Recipe Book
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 COLONIAL TIMES
 The French & Indian War
 Reenactor Coalition for The War That Made America
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
| More
Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic

Author Previous Topic: George Washingtons First War......AAR Topic Next Topic: New F&I Book  

Highlander
Colonial Militia

Bushy Run painting
USA

Bumppo's Patron since [at least]:
February 04 2003

Posted - January 07 2004 :  01:10:39 AM  Show Profile  Visit Highlander's Homepage  Reply with Quote
We are considering forming a coalition of units for the filming of "The War that Made America" www.thewarthatmadeamerica.com the PBS(WQED) movie that is due to air in September 2005.Since the Senator John Heinz History Center is backing this project financially,as well as the Site Administrators from Fort Pitt & Fort Ligonier consulting,I believe that it is important to organize so that they won't be able to steamroll over any particular units.This would be almost like a guild.We already have an Association in Western Pa.(where the filming will take place in the Spring)that is comprised of several units(1st Virginia,Rangers,Highlanders & French).

As a former volunteer at both The History Center & Fort Pitt,I've seen where they treat their full-time employees like pieces of meat.They will think nothing of using reenactors like old kleenexes.They only see us as a "necessary evil"since reenactors will fill in the back ranks anyway,and actors will be in front.One advisor to the film who was taking my unit's information had complained to me that too many reenactors sport a "prosperous look".

Ongoing efforts are being made to contact units and individuals for this production.I plan to have Director Robert Matzen www.paladincom.com as our spokesman since he has built many bridges into the reenactment community.If anyone is interested in coming onboard for this,please let me know.

Highlander
report to moderator

Highlander
Colonial Militia

Bushy Run painting
USA

February 04 2003

Posted - January 10 2004 :  5:17:15 PM  Show Profile  Visit Highlander's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
Tis' good that I'm already receiving responses from all throughout the F&I reenactment community. One of the e-mails that I've received is about avoiding a replay the same treatment & attitudes that was experienced by the reenactors who appeared in L.O.T.M.

"Surely,If we do not all hang together,we shall all hang separately."
Ben Franklin

Highlander
report to moderator Go to Top of Page

SgtMunro
Soldier of the King

Knight
USA

September 23 2002

Donating Member

Posted - January 12 2004 :  10:41:10 AM  Show Profile  Visit SgtMunro's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
Well Captain, since there is no posted schedule for filming yet, I might not have the time needed to schedule comp-time off from work. I might end up sitting this one out, if I can't get free from work.

Your Most Humble Servant,

Serjeant-Major Duncan Munro
Capt. Thos. Graham's Coy.
42nd Royal Highland Regiment of Foote
(The Black Sheep of the Black Watch)

"Nemo Me Impune Lacessit"
-Or-
"Recruit locally, fight globally."

Highlander
Colonial Militia

Bushy Run painting
USA

February 04 2003

Posted - January 12 2004 :  3:18:48 PM  Show Profile  Visit Highlander's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by SgtMunro

Well Captain, since there is no posted schedule for filming yet, I might not have the time needed to schedule comp-time off from work. I might end up sitting this one out, if I can't get free from work.

I don't believe it will all be filmed at night.But,according to the schedule that was posted on their website,the bulk of the filming will be Summer of 2004,no specific dates as of yet.

Highlander

lonewolf
Colonial Settler

Lonewolf

February 12 2004

Posted - March 21 2004 :  10:33:59 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
I have noticed in the Civil War re-enactments at Gettysburg, and elswhere, that the participants have "eaten well", something that is a bit out of place, and the fact that some re-enactors are a bit old to have stood up to the rigors of marching several miles a day. But the public has to overlook a bit, since it is difficult to get teenagers interested in re-enacting.
Plus, there are few young people who can bear the expense of outfitting ones self for "battle". I think that everyone does a good job. One quetion; when you guys show up in movies and mini-series on TV, do you get paid? Just curious?

Ken Lonewolf

Ken Lonewolf

lonewolf
Colonial Settler

Lonewolf

February 12 2004

Posted - March 21 2004 :  10:40:19 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
Responding to Highlander; how were you treated by the movie people on L.O.T.M. And do they pay you enough to make it worth your while?

I wanted to be part of Patriot, shot near my home just over the border in South Carolina. The casting director was a real S.O.B. If he had a personality at all, he left in back in Hollywood. I left his office and should have shot him the "bird".

Are you subjected to these kinds of people?

Ken Lonewolf

richfed
Sachem

King 1
USA

May 13 2002

Administrator

Posted - March 22 2004 :  05:07:29 AM  Show Profile  Visit richfed's Homepage  Click to see richfed's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
Highlander was not on the set of LOTM, Lonewolf ...

SgtMunro
Soldier of the King

Knight
USA

September 23 2002

Donating Member

Posted - March 22 2004 :  10:11:51 AM  Show Profile  Visit SgtMunro's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
In response to all of the above, I will not be taking any part in the PBS movie. The reasons are not for compensation, this is my hobby and I do not have a dominating mercenary streak (Heck, I would have done it for free). They are for the ignorant remarks made by the shows producers, that being reenactors are not authentic enough. They stated that they did not want any for the reasons of authenticity in uniforms, age and physique. Now they are back-pedaling, well I just feel that I sould not go where I was not wanted, regardless of whatever they say now.

Lonewolf, I can appreciate how you felt with the casting director of "The Patriot". From what I've seen so far, these PBS folks are cut of the same cloth.

Now there are those who say that this should be set aside, in the name of 'saving the hobby'. From what I see, the hobby doesn't need 'saving', things are going just fine. F&IW has always been a small family, since we don't attract the intrest of say RevWar or ACW reenacting. That is one of the many reasons why I do F&IW, because you can get to know just about everyone in your region who does it, and for matters of safety this really helps put one at ease.

Serjeant-Major Duncan Munro
Capt. Thos. Graham's Coy.
42nd Royal Highland Regiment of Foote
(The Black Sheep of the Black Watch)

"Nemo Me Impune Lacessit"
-Or-
"Recruit locally, fight globally."
  Previous Topic: George Washingtons First War......AAR Topic Next Topic: New F&I Book  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
| More
Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Jump To:

Around The Site:
~ What's New? ~
Pathfinding | Mohican Gatherings | Mohican Musings | LOTM Script | History | Musical Musings | Storefronts on the Frontier
Off the Beaten Trail | Links
Of Special Interest:
The Eric Schweig Gallery | From the Ramparts | The Listening Room | Against All Odds | The Video Clips Index

DISCLAIMER
Tune, 40, used by permission - composed by Ron Clarke

Custom Search

The Mohican Board! [Bumppo's Redux!] © 1997-2024 - Mohican Press Go To Top Of Page
Current Mohicanland page raised in 0.38 seconds Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.07