The Mohican Board! [Bumppo's Redux!]
The Mohican Board! [Bumppo's Redux!]
10/12/2024 3:21:03 AM
On the Trail...Home | Old Mohican Board Archives | Purpose
Events | Polls | Photos | Classifieds | Downloads
Profile | Register | Members | Private Messages
Search | Posting Tips | FAQ | Web Links | Mohican Chat | Blogs
Forum Bookmarks | Unanswered Posts | Preview Topic Photos | Active Topics
Invite a Friend to the Mohican Board | Guestbook | Greeting Cards | Auction (0) | Colonial Recipe Book
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 LAST OF THE MOHICANS
 The Last of the Mohicans ...
 Why did Alice really jump?
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
| More
Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Previous Page | Next Page

Author Previous Topic: fanfiction password Topic Next Topic: The ONE True Hero ...
Page: of 8

MeggieD
Colonial Settler

Megs Avatar
USA

Bumppo's Patron since [at least]:
January 23 2006

Posted - January 27 2006 :  09:03:07 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by Wilderness Woman

I second that!!!

Uncas: "some food"
report to moderator Go to Top of Page

Dark Woods
Colonial Settler

Light House
USA

May 18 2002

Donating Member

Posted - January 27 2006 :  11:49:44 PM  Show Profile  Visit Dark Woods's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
Qasimoto, I was sure that you would come through with a thorough engineering analysis. I appreciate the professional courtesy price tag!

We become what we think about.

qasimoto
Pioneer

USA

March 11 2005

Posted - January 30 2006 :  6:26:53 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
Well, thank you, sir! But I was just blathering, not really much of an analysis; took more effort to figure out how to type exponentials.

Q

quote:
Originally posted by Dark Woods

Qasimoto, I was sure that you would come through with a thorough engineering analysis. I appreciate the professional courtesy price tag!

qasimoto
Pioneer

USA

March 11 2005

Posted - February 12 2006 :  11:05:55 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
Hello, Dark Woods: Who's this idiot "Q"? If you ever see him, send him over to us in Paris, eh? We have a nice new machine called "La Giloutine" we'd like to show him, as an engineer. Should work as well on him as on it's namesake. Better than it worked on our late King Louis XVI, blade or blade carrier hung up on the way down and cut his head only halfway off. Imagine! There lay our King, screaming in front of thousands of his people in a public square while we worked so hard and long to fix le machine! Finally, we did send his head into the basket. But, some people would bitch if they were hanged with a NEW rope, eh?

Roberspierre

Lurking Huron7086
Anonymous Guest

November 27 2002

Posted - February 14 2006 :  1:06:11 PM  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
She did love Uncas and after seeing him get killed she did not want to face life without him. She did not know what had happened to Cora or the others for that matter and her life ahead lay with Magua as far as she knew. She would rather be dead than face that.

Irishgirl
Council of Elders

Irish Girl Avatar
USA

February 14 2006

Donating Member

Posted - February 14 2006 :  1:27:39 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
Lurking Huron was me. Somehow I got logged out.

IG

Mountain Man
Colonial Settler

Mountain Man Avatar
USA

March 02 2006

Posted - March 04 2006 :  12:59:59 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
I would have to share Lurking Huron 0943's view on this. I tell you one thing though...I'm sure the Huron/Hurons that were in charge of keeping an eye on Alice were sweating it out up until the time Maugua was killed. I wouldn't want to have faced his wrath for that screw up! I can see it now, I thought YOU were in charge of watching her. NO, I thought YOU were in charge of watching her.
quote:
Originally posted by Lurking Huron0943

I think that Alice jumped because she loved Uncas.
She would rather join him in death than live alone.
At first, she was grief stricken by Uncas's death and didn't know what to do, then she looked down at Uncas and decided to join him. When she had made her decision, she regained her strength and peace. So she looked Magua in the eyes,
ignored his gesture of mercy and then threw herself off the cliff calmly. I also think that the brief shot of Uncas and Alice lying side by side at the bottom of the cliff is a strong hint of the reason for Alice's jump --- to be with Uncas.

Magua said, understand English very well.

Lurking Huron7606
Anonymous Guest

November 27 2002

Posted - March 07 2006 :  12:37:49 AM  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
I've always viewed this scene as the first time Alice took control of her own destiny and choose not to be a victim. She finally snapped out of her shock-induced haze and took action. I think that her choice was made from a place of strength.

And I would bet she could understand French enough to know that she was intended to carry on Magua's line. Taking that away from Magua was the one weapon she could weild. Magua killed Uncas, but he still lost the prize...and Uncas didn't die in vain.

-lizbet

Lya Heyward
Lost in the Wilderness

Duncan
USA

March 02 2006

Posted - March 07 2006 :  6:17:07 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
I disagree with you Cora because in the movie, as Magua makes an approach towards her his knife hand relaxes and descends. I think she loved him.

I love the person I am when I'm with you

angicx
Pathfinder

Gothic Girl 2
USA

August 21 2007

Posted - August 22 2007 :  3:33:32 PM  Show Profile  Visit angicx's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
Again, I know this is an old thread, but I joined this forum mainly to discuss Uncas and Alice and get a variety of opinions, so bear with me cuz I'm reviving it
Whereas I've enjoyed reading everyones different views about the movie, I totally agree with the following statements, except that I think that her feelings manifested in the cave under the falls, where I believe they shared a non-sexual moment of realization and tenderness after he pulled her back from the cliff and in which he took the opportunity to braid her hair while they sat in comfortable, quite reflection of each other...
Yeah I know thats speculation I guess, but it just seems so right!

quote:
Originally posted by chasis_22

Well, I watch the movie a lot and always seem torn as to why she jumped. My sister told me that in those days they would have raped her and possibly killed her. My own personal opinion is that she might not have shown that she was in love with Uncas the way that he way that he showed his love for her. Perhaps she never noticed his affections towards her until she saw him sacrafice his life for her. When she turned away she knew he was going to die and maybe it was then that she realized why it was that he was doing it. Especially with the look he gave her. Uncas, Chingachgook, and Hawkeye spent the entire movie rescuing them. Maybe seeing Uncas come after her own his own proved a point. I don't think she feared Magua anymore and wanted to show him that. I think if she was still afraid of him she would have kept her head down and done whatever he wanted. Her backing up to the end of the cliff not only showed Magua that she wasn't afraid but also shows that she has overcome her invalid school girl image. I believe that she knew Hawkeye and Chingachgook would come shortly after Uncas. So I think she jumped because she loved Uncas and became brave enough to end her life for him...the way he did for her. Everyone can interpret the movie in their own perspectives but this is what I see when I watch the movie.

quote:
Originally posted by Lurking Huron0901

I have watched LOTM many times. I am touched by the love between Hwakeye and Cora, but the subtle love story between Uncas and Alice has always been my favorite part of the movie. The scene when Uncas and Alice die always moves me to tears. To me, Alice's jumping off the cliff is a bold statement of her love for Uncas. Although the movie hugely underplays their romance, I can still feel the strong bond between the two. I do believe that Alice loves Uncas because of two scenes. One is in the cave when Uncas pulls Alice back from the fall and holds her and rocks her, you can see Alice's hand embrace Uncas tightly -- a sign that she likes him. The other scene is when Uncas got wounded and then killed by Magua, the expresssions on Alice's face show shock, concern, pain. and then silent grief. To me, it shows the pain of losing someone she loves, rather than the lost of hope in being rescued.

quote:
Originally posted by Lurking Huron0943

I think that Alice jumped because she loved Uncas.
She would rather join him in death than live alone.
At first, she was grief stricken by Uncas's death and didn't know what to do, then she looked down at Uncas and decided to join him. When she had made her decision, she regained her strength and peace. So she looked Magua in the eyes,
ignored his gesture of mercy and then threw herself off the

Obediah
Mohicanland Statesman

Skull 5
USA

August 16 2006

Donating Member

Posted - August 22 2007 :  9:41:02 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
quote:

As the poster I saw recently said, "To err is human; to really screw things up requires an engineer."

Last of the dustbunnies
Pioneer

uncas in dark
USA

July 17 2007

Posted - August 22 2007 :  11:34:58 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
well actually the third answer couldnt be true because in the script he was so astounded by her beauty that he offered her saftey

Everyone is entitled to be stupid, but some abuse the privilege.

angicx
Pathfinder

Gothic Girl 2
USA

August 21 2007

Posted - August 24 2007 :  6:04:35 PM  Show Profile  Visit angicx's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
Script and movie are too different to compare I believe. I know the meat is the same, but consider the other romantic elements being so different... The movie was changed up for cinematic purposes to make the story more appealing... and I believe that it is. Therefore the comparisons, don't really make sense anymore.

Light of the Moon
Mohicanland Statesman

Car in Fog
USA

December 18 2004

Posted - August 24 2007 :  10:57:51 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by Obediah

quote:

As the poster I saw recently said, "To err is human; to really screw things up requires an engineer."

LOL, Obi!!!

I live in my own little world - but that's okay, they know me here!

Kirachi
Colonial Settler

Alone
United Kingdom

October 04 2007

Posted - October 04 2007 :  05:03:22 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
Wow I already love this forum. So much alice & Uncas hurrah!
Fantastic insights too.
I'm dying to read the fanfiction, does anyone know who i have to email to get the password?

RedFraggle
Mohicanite

Redhead

October 13 2006

Posted - October 04 2007 :  08:08:22 AM  Show Profile  Visit RedFraggle's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
Welcome, Kirachi!

Hope you'll enjoy Mohicanland. You can PM our Sachem, RichFed, for the password.

Irishgirl
Council of Elders

Irish Girl Avatar
USA

February 14 2006

Donating Member

Posted - October 04 2007 :  08:23:05 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
Yeah, a big hello from Mohicanland to you Kirachi. Happy posting.

IG

blackfootblood
Devoted Tribal Member

homecoming
USA

May 22 2007

Donating Member

Posted - October 04 2007 :  10:47:43 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
Welcome to the board and happy posting!!

"Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass, it's about learning to dance in the rain!"

"Live well, love much, laugh often!"

Obediah
Mohicanland Statesman

Skull 5
USA

August 16 2006

Donating Member

Posted - October 04 2007 :  12:00:34 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
Oh no! Not another Uncas fanatic! BTW, welcome aboard!

Irishgirl
Council of Elders

Irish Girl Avatar
USA

February 14 2006

Donating Member

Posted - October 04 2007 :  12:03:17 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
Another thread you may want to check out Kirachi is Pic of the Day. Plenty to drool and swoon over in there. Feel free to post your "crushes" pics as well. Everyone is welcome to post their pics of anyone they want and "desire" in there.

IG

Kirachi
Colonial Settler

Alone
United Kingdom

October 04 2007

Posted - October 04 2007 :  3:49:16 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
Woah what a great welcome!
Thanks a lot all.
Fraid so, I am a Uncas junky and have been since I was 13 (25 now and still have a major crush on Eric lol)

Thanks I'll get that password and enjoy some fan fiction.

Oh a crush board? that sounds rather spelndid!

Irishgirl
Council of Elders

Irish Girl Avatar
USA

February 14 2006

Donating Member

Posted - October 04 2007 :  3:51:38 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
Yeah scoot on over there and get ready to drool girl. It's in the Bunkhouse Banter section under Pic of the Day or just click on active topics.

IG

Kirachi
Colonial Settler

Alone
United Kingdom

October 04 2007

Posted - October 04 2007 :  3:52:39 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
Thanks very much, that should take a good hour of work time up lol

susank2
Colonial Settler

USA

August 25 2007

Posted - October 04 2007 :  5:25:58 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
Thanks Irish for mentioning the Pic of the Day topic. I've never noticed that one before and truly enjoyed it!

Dillon1836
Deerslayer

richfed
USA

July 17 2003

Posted - October 04 2007 :  7:00:49 PM  Show Profile  Visit Dillon1836's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
Actually, I don't believe she meant to throw herself off that cliff. I just think she took too many steps away from Magua without watching her footing.

Just kidding. lol

~Wade

www.alamosentry.com
Page: of 8 Previous Topic: fanfiction password Topic Next Topic: The ONE True Hero ...  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
| More
Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Jump To:

Around The Site:
~ What's New? ~
Pathfinding | Mohican Gatherings | Mohican Musings | LOTM Script | History | Musical Musings | Storefronts on the Frontier
Off the Beaten Trail | Links
Of Special Interest:
The Eric Schweig Gallery | From the Ramparts | The Listening Room | Against All Odds | The Video Clips Index

DISCLAIMER
Tune, 40, used by permission - composed by Ron Clarke

Custom Search

The Mohican Board! [Bumppo's Redux!] © 1997-2024 - Mohican Press Go To Top Of Page
Current Mohicanland page raised in 0.48 seconds Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.07