The Mohican Board! [Bumppo's Redux!]
The Mohican Board! [Bumppo's Redux!]
10/5/2024 5:48:39 PM
On the Trail...Home | Old Mohican Board Archives | Purpose
Events | Polls | Photos | Classifieds | Downloads
Profile | Register | Members | Private Messages
Search | Posting Tips | FAQ | Web Links | Mohican Chat | Blogs
Forum Bookmarks | Unanswered Posts | Preview Topic Photos | Active Topics
Invite a Friend to the Mohican Board | Guestbook | Greeting Cards | Auction (0) | Colonial Recipe Book
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 COLONIAL TIMES
 The Muster
 Fort Frederick
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
| More
Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic

Author Previous Topic: British/American Provincial Small Arms Topic Next Topic: Greenhorn Needs Advice  

hawkeye
Pioneer

Longhunter With Child
USA

Bumppo's Patron since [at least]:
May 17 2002

Posted - April 21 2003 :  08:06:58 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thought I'd mention that at Fort Frederick State Park (just west of Hagerstown, MD) they're having their annual Market Fair and Rifle Frolic. There will be many reenactors (it's a juried event) and sutlers. It's an 18th Century event and is one of the best around. Here's a clip from their website:(http://www.dnr.state.md.us/publiclands/western/fortfrederick.html)

-----------------------
April 24-27, 2003
Market Fair and Rifle Frolic
The Patuxents and the Friends of Fort Frederick present the 9th annual Market Fair. Witness the best 18th century artisans, craftsmen and sutlers amidst an historical encampment. 24th, 25th and 26th 9 a.m. to 5 p.m.; 27th 9 a.m. to 3 p.m. Service charge.
-----------------------

Cherie and I went last year and spent an entire day there. Had a marvelous time looking over wares, seeing events, and talking with reenactors. We even ran into the Pvt Chauncy, the Major and his daughter. We're going to be there all day this Friday. REALLY looking forward to this!! If anyone else is going to be there... let me know and maybe we can meet and talk for a while.

Marc
report to moderator

Many Flags
Colonial Settler

USA

August 13 2002

Posted - April 22 2003 :  01:20:24 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
I will be there, going down Wednesday and staying until Sunday. Will be flying the 1st Continental flag (green with red canton in center with hunter and lion as device) and also St. Andrew's Cross. Stop by and sit a while. I believe Cousin Seamus is stopping in one day . Pax Aye!! Many Flags of the Allemaengel
report to moderator Go to Top of Page

hawkeye
Pioneer

Longhunter With Child
USA

May 17 2002

Posted - April 22 2003 :  08:01:49 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by Many Flags

I will be there, going down Wednesday and staying until Sunday. Will be flying the 1st Continental flag (green with red canton in center with hunter and lion as device) and also St. Andrew's Cross. Stop by and sit a while. I believe Cousin Seamus is stopping in one day . Pax Aye!! Many Flags of the Allemaengel

I'll keep an eye out for you... thnx

Sgt.Reynolds
Pathfinder

Longhunter With Dogs
USA

April 24 2003

Posted - April 24 2003 :  12:56:52 AM  Show Profile  Visit Sgt.Reynolds's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
I'm only doing a day trip but it should be a good time.

hawkeye
Pioneer

Longhunter With Child
USA

May 17 2002

Posted - April 28 2003 :  2:55:45 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
Had a great time at Ft. Frederick last Friday. The wife and I spent all day there, but unfortunately didn't run into anyone we knew.

I ended up buying a used (but in good condition) .50cal cap lock for my son. He's fired a .32cal a couple times and really enjoyed himself. I thought it was time he had his own rifle, so...

Since I decided he could use some of my old gear... it was obviously time for me to get new stuff!! I bought a very nice browned F&I styled powder horn. I also saw a very nice Jefferson styled compass I really wanted, but since I'm doing 1750 - 1760 (...there about's), it was slightly out of period. Not to mention that they wanted a bit more than I was willing to shell out. All in all, made out pretty good.

Sorry we didn't run into anyone there...

Marc

Hawkeye_Joe
Colonial Militia

USA

July 31 2003

Posted - July 31 2003 :  4:30:58 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
Bearing bad news...The host group The Pawteuxants (sp) have pulled out of the Ft. Fred Market Fair... I have heard that the market fair will still happen... but that there will be no allowance for camping there ..only sutlers and craftsmen can set up.
Well that loses me .. not driving 6 hours only to turn around and go home after shopping.

HAWK

"The scum of every nation gravitates to the frontier."
Benjamin Franklin 1750

"Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for
lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote."
Benjamin Franklin 1759

The existence of flamethrowers is proof that someone, somewhere, said to himself, "I want to set those people over there on fire, but I don't feel like walking over there to do it."

"Calling an illegal alien an "undocumented immigrant" is like calling a
drug dealer an "unlicensed pharmacist."

SgtMunro
Soldier of the King

Knight
USA

September 23 2002

Donating Member

Posted - August 01 2003 :  10:09:56 AM  Show Profile  Visit SgtMunro's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
Any word on if the Pawteuxants will opt for a secondary site/event?

Serjeant-Major Duncan Munro
Capt. Thos. Graham's Coy.
42nd Royal Highland Regiment of Foote
(The Black Sheep of the Black Watch)

"Nemo Me Impune Lacessit"
-Or-
"Recruit locally, fight globally."

Hawkeye_Joe
Colonial Militia

USA

July 31 2003

Posted - August 01 2003 :  2:53:57 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
No.. none so far.. there have been alternative events planned to take Ft Fred's place.. but I'm not sure which one will be the best to attend. I'll probably go to Mansker's instead.

HAWK

Benjamin Franklin 1750

Benjamin Franklin 1759

The existence of flamethrowers is proof that someone, somewhere, said to himself, "I want to set those people over there on fire, but I don't feel like walking over there to do it."

SgtMunro
Soldier of the King

Knight
USA

September 23 2002

Donating Member

Posted - August 05 2003 :  03:00:07 AM  Show Profile  Visit SgtMunro's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
I've heard from Capt. Bullit of the 1st Virginia Regiment, that there will be a similar event at Ft. Loudon (PA). No word on the dates yet, but I'll pass it on as soon as I know.

-Or-

Hawkeye_Joe
Colonial Militia

USA

July 31 2003

Posted - August 05 2003 :  04:38:24 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
Posted on another board by Bernie Fox:

[While I was at Dixon's Gunmaker's Fair (teriffic event, as usual)last weekend I picked-up a flyer for an "18th Century Market Fair and Rifle Frolic" to be held April 22-25, 2004. This one will be at Ft. Loudoun (just north of Ft. Fred in southern PA.) It's being put on by the Great North America Rendezvous (GNAR) and Ft. Loudoun. It looks strangely similar to the old policies for Ft. Fred (including camping) and they even thank the Patuxents (volunteers who sponsored the Ft. Fred event) for starting and keeping things going at Ft. Fred for the past 9 years.]

HAWK

Benjamin Franklin 1750

Benjamin Franklin 1759

SgtMunro
Soldier of the King

Knight
USA

September 23 2002

Donating Member

Posted - August 05 2003 :  10:48:18 PM  Show Profile  Visit SgtMunro's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
Ft. Loudon might be worth checking out, thanks Hawk.

-Or-
  Previous Topic: British/American Provincial Small Arms Topic Next Topic: Greenhorn Needs Advice  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
| More
Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Jump To:

Around The Site:
~ What's New? ~
Pathfinding | Mohican Gatherings | Mohican Musings | LOTM Script | History | Musical Musings | Storefronts on the Frontier
Off the Beaten Trail | Links
Of Special Interest:
The Eric Schweig Gallery | From the Ramparts | The Listening Room | Against All Odds | The Video Clips Index

DISCLAIMER
Tune, 40, used by permission - composed by Ron Clarke

Custom Search

The Mohican Board! [Bumppo's Redux!] © 1997-2024 - Mohican Press Go To Top Of Page
Current Mohicanland page raised in 0.42 seconds Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.07