The Mohican Board! [Bumppo's Redux!]
The Mohican Board! [Bumppo's Redux!]
7/3/2024 2:28:53 PM
On the Trail...Home | Old Mohican Board Archives | Purpose
Events | Polls | Photos | Classifieds | Downloads
Profile | Register | Members | Private Messages
Search | Posting Tips | FAQ | Web Links | Mohican Chat | Blogs
Forum Bookmarks | Unanswered Posts | Preview Topic Photos | Active Topics
Invite a Friend to the Mohican Board | Guestbook | Greeting Cards | Auction (0) | Colonial Recipe Book
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 LAST OF THE MOHICANS
 The Last of the Mohicans ...
 Jodhi May
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
| More
Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic

Author Previous Topic: Eric Schweig Alert! Topic Next Topic: Soundtrack order?  

morgaine
Pioneer

USA

Bumppo's Patron since [at least]:
May 19 2002

Posted - March 30 2003 :  11:10:33 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
This is a little late but Jodhi May has a part in "Daniel Deronda" on "Masterpiece Theatre". Part II airs tomorrow night.

Mirah Lapidoth
played by Jodhi May

Mirah develops feelings for Daniel, the young man who foils her suicide attempt. The young Jewish woman's search for her family opens up a new world for Deronda.

The prospect of playing an unconventional Victorian heroine on the margins of society attracted Jodhi May to the complex character of Mirah. Rescued from the depths of despair, Mirah must come to terms with her own identity, which eventually leads Daniel into his own voyage of self-discovery. "What I find so compelling about the character," says May, "is the way in which she belongs in the periphery of conventional Victorian society and actually discovers her own sense of identity as an outsider within that context.

"Rediscovering a way of expressing herself by using her singing voice is an important part of the character," she explains. "Essentially, she's been crushed by her father, and her talent has been suppressed. With Daniel's encouragement, she quickly finds a platform for her talent when she is heard within his circle of friends."

May won a Best Actress award at Cannes when she was only 13 for A World Apart (which also starred Barbara Hershey, who plays The Contessa in Daniel Deronda). "Mirah challenges the other characters' moral perceptions. She is a fascinating catalyst in terms of how she affects all the other characters and challenges their way of seeing the world."

May admits that she is a fan of George Eliot and her novels, many of which she read while studying English literature at Oxford. Once she read the script, she was immediately drawn to Davies's "brilliant adaptation" of the novel. George Eliot's underlying message, she says, is relevant to a modern audience. "The society which she is writing about is something which is ruled by homogeneity, and she is very much exploring what it is to have an ethnic identity that does not fit into that society. I think all of those issues are totally relevant today, as much now as they were then."

A theater lover, May has an extensive background on the stage and has appeared in the Masterpiece Theatre productions Aristocrats and The Turn of the Screw.

report to moderator

richfed
Sachem

King 1
USA

May 13 2002

Administrator

Posted - March 31 2003 :  05:07:54 AM  Show Profile  Visit richfed's Homepage  Click to see richfed's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
My, you've grown up!

Jodhi is a woman now!
report to moderator Go to Top of Page

Wilderness Woman
Watcher of the Wood

Young George Washington
USA

November 27 2002

Donating Member

Posted - March 31 2003 :  08:16:17 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
Oh, Wow! I'm glad I taped Part 1 last night to watch later! Will do the same with Part 2. This will be very interesting.

Thanks, Morgaine!

Ongewasgone
Pioneer

Gothic Guy 2
Italy

September 17 2002

Posted - March 31 2003 :  2:50:34 PM  Show Profile  Visit Ongewasgone's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
Well done morgaine! Yes, of course I just knew of this Jodhi's work, because I'm working on it in order to find information and images, which I'll put on my Jodhi Fan Page as soon as I can. Can I use your topic,too?

Lurking Huron8569
Anonymous Guest

November 27 2002

Posted - March 31 2003 :  5:27:52 PM  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
Ongewasgone, Absolutely, you may use my information. It is from
http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/masterpiece/deronda/index.html

Glad that I was able to post something of interest. I, too, was amazed at how she has changed.

morgaine
Pioneer

USA

May 19 2002

Posted - March 31 2003 :  5:31:05 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
Sorry, I am not a Lurking Huron. I, Morgaine posted the above. Somehow, I was not logged in.

Wilderness Woman
Watcher of the Wood

Young George Washington
USA

November 27 2002

Donating Member

Posted - April 01 2003 :  07:51:08 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
I enjoyed this production, and I think our little Jodhi did a good job. She appears to have blossomed into a real actress. Good for her!

morgaine
Pioneer

USA

May 19 2002

Posted - April 01 2003 :  11:39:49 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
I agree!

caitlin
Bumppos Tavern Patron

MMBrand
USA

May 17 2002

Donating Member

Posted - April 02 2003 :  12:34:41 PM  Show Profile  Visit caitlin's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
THAT was JODHI?
Wow, I didn't even realize. I am very impressed. I started watching part two because of the Victorian dresses and just got caught up in the show. I would like to see it again.
caitlin

Jack McCall: "Should we shake hands or something, relieve the atmosphere. I mean how stupid do you think I am?"
Wild Bill Hickok: "I don't know, I just met you."

"A nation with no regard to it's past will have little future worth remembering."
A.Lincoln

"Enjoy the little things, for one day you may look back and realize that they were the big things"

Jayne
Overseer of Ariel's Auction

Oak Leaf

May 23 2002

Posted - April 02 2003 :  8:09:05 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
Caitlin,

I saw only a very small piece of this, but I didn't recognize her either! I'm sorry I missed it. Maybe they will repeat it sometime soon.

Jayne

zipmutt
Lost in the Wilderness

USA

June 23 2003

Posted - June 23 2003 :  12:38:45 AM  Show Profile  Send zipmutt an AOL message  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
Hey all you Jodhi fans -- I've got a yahoogroup set up that you may be interested in... Jodhi_May@yahoogroups.com

She's a terrific actress, with a lot of film/tv/stage work beyond LOTM. Come on over and strike up a conversation!

zippy
  Previous Topic: Eric Schweig Alert! Topic Next Topic: Soundtrack order?  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
| More
Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Jump To:

Around The Site:
~ What's New? ~
Pathfinding | Mohican Gatherings | Mohican Musings | LOTM Script | History | Musical Musings | Storefronts on the Frontier
Off the Beaten Trail | Links
Of Special Interest:
The Eric Schweig Gallery | From the Ramparts | The Listening Room | Against All Odds | The Video Clips Index

DISCLAIMER
Tune, 40, used by permission - composed by Ron Clarke

Custom Search

The Mohican Board! [Bumppo's Redux!] © 1997-2024 - Mohican Press Go To Top Of Page
Current Mohicanland page raised in 0.31 seconds Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.07