The Mohican Board! [Bumppo's Redux!]
The Mohican Board! [Bumppo's Redux!]
10/6/2024 3:21:36 AM
On the Trail...Home | Old Mohican Board Archives | Purpose
Events | Polls | Photos | Classifieds | Downloads
Profile | Register | Members | Private Messages
Search | Posting Tips | FAQ | Web Links | Mohican Chat | Blogs
Forum Bookmarks | Unanswered Posts | Preview Topic Photos | Active Topics
Invite a Friend to the Mohican Board | Guestbook | Greeting Cards | Auction (0) | Colonial Recipe Book
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 OFF THE BEATEN TRAIL
 Movies, Movies, More Movies! Any Movies!
 Gods and Generals
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
| More
Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Next Page

Author Previous Topic: A & E Movie Alert! Topic Next Topic: The Devils Disciple
Page: of 3

Theresa
Bumppo's Tavern Proprietress

Theresa
USA

Bumppo's Patron since [at least]:
May 17 2002

Posted - January 29 2003 :  07:39:02 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
This article was in the January 1 & 15, 2003 issue of "Booklist Magazine". It is not about the movie but rather a book that has been written about the faith, hope, and love in the American Civil War.

What with a forword by Ron Maxwell, director of the new movie Gods and Generals, it is easy to grasp that this book is a companion to the film, and doubtless seeing the movie and reading Jeff Shaara's novel Gods and Generals (1996) will enrich appreciation of editors Baehr and Wales' compilation. Still, the copiously illistrated book is independently usefull as attestation of the importance of religion in the life of the general society that fought the Civil War and in the lives of many figures prominent in it. Stonewall Jackson is the predominant figure here, because of the novel and film but also because his faith had a burning intensity that daunted even some of his contemporaries. Robert E. Lee, who worshiped duty as much as anything else, is also prominent, as is Abraham Lincoln, a self-construed nonsectarian Christian. Less inevitable figures include William Rosecrans, whose reputation may suffer now as it did then from his devout Catholicism, and George McClellan, who isn't usually considered to have worshiped anything other than himself.---Roland Green

Theresa
report to moderator

Wilderness Woman
Watcher of the Wood

Young George Washington
USA

November 27 2002

Donating Member

Posted - January 29 2003 :  08:15:30 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
This book sounds quite interesting, Theresa. What is the name of it?
report to moderator Go to Top of Page

Theresa
Bumppo's Tavern Proprietress

Theresa
USA

May 17 2002

Posted - January 29 2003 :  4:46:20 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
OK, I've tried several times to edit my previous post and I get this "page not available" message (Rich knows about this already). I've also tried to post this reply several times to no avail. Hope this goes through. The title of the the book is Faith in God and Generals.

Theresa

Wilderness Woman
Watcher of the Wood

Young George Washington
USA

November 27 2002

Donating Member

Posted - February 06 2003 :  10:11:01 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
For those of you who, like me, are waiting impatiently for Gods and Generals to open on Feb. 21st... here's something interesting.

My husband gets a magazine called The American Enterprise, and in the March 2003 issue is a wonderful, very long article about the movie. It is written by a Bill Kauffman and it is titled The Civil War Returns. It is a very well written article and his opening line goes like this:

"Mr. Lincoln said he likes his speeches short and sweet, so here it is: The new Warner Brothers picture Gods and Generals is not only the finest movie ever made about the Civil War, it is also the best American historical film. Period."

Wow! He goes on to say, "Writer-director Ron Maxwell's prequel to his epic Gettysburg (1993) is so free of cant, of false notes, of the politically conformist genuflections that we expect in our historical movies, that one watches it as if in a trance, wondering if he hasn't stumbled into a movie theater in an alternative America..." Double Wow!

This article touches on everything.

The Confederate point of view: "Maxwell expects to draw flak for his depiction of Confederate soldiers as human beings rather than the racist caricatures which the viewer expects in a modern film. Maxwell provides the fairest, most eloquent exposition of the Southern point of view ever presented on film -- and yet as counterpoint we have always Joshua Chamberlain, the fighting scholar of the 20th Maine and the conscience of the movie, reminding us that black-skinned Americans are being held as chattel."

Religion: "It is no accident that 'Gods' precedes 'Generals" in the film's title, for God is a constant and pervasive presence in the film. [Stonewall] Jackson and Lee invoke God's name, and see themselves as instruments of His will."

Dialects: "The black and white actors... studied with dialect coach Robert Easton to achieve lingual verisimilitude. 'We're not making people look like uneducated hicks or emphasizing racial stereotypes,' protests Maxwell, whose film is awash in what he calls a symphony of dialiects with sources ranging from the Mississippi Delta to the crags of Maine."

Love of the land: "One of the film's signal virtues is its respect for place." He cites how Lee stands and surveys the lovely land around Fredericksburg before the battle, explaining to his adjutant that this is where he met the woman who became his wife.

Patriotism: "This film asks the vital question... What is patriotism? 'For Chamberlain, the fundamental unit of patriotism is the United States of America,' says Maxwell. 'For Jackson and Lee, it is their state [Virginia]. The men are equally patriotic; they are admirable in that they have a sense of the group that transcends their individuality.'"

Re-enactors: "Maxwell says his Civil War films would be impossible to make without the thousands of dedicated re-enactors who compose his cinematic armies."

Kauffman closes his article with these words: "Ron Maxwell has given us an Amnerican masterpiece about the most myth-laden, destructive, and regenerative episode in American history. Who are the heroes? Who are the villains? You decide."

Well. As for me... I can hardly wait!

Newsflash!!

I am editing this in, because I just found this online! Go to www.theamericanenterprise.org Scroll down to "Civil War on the Big Screen." Click on "page images of both articles." This is a .pdf file, so you will need Adobe Reader. But you will be able to see the great photos, and read the entire article.
Enjoy!

"It is more deeply stirring to my blood than any imaginings could possibly have been."

richfed
Sachem

King 1
USA

May 13 2002

Administrator

Posted - February 07 2003 :  05:19:32 AM  Show Profile  Visit richfed's Homepage  Click to see richfed's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
OK ... you've gone & done it now, WW ... I am chomping on the bit for this one!

Maybe it's time for a little debate - in The Lion's Den - on the old Confederate Flag. Can't do it just now ... I'll be heading up to D.C. right after work for an all-night run to pick up my son - up there with a group of students from around the country who have displayed academic excellence! :) [proud papa plug!]

Me will try to "instigate" a "war" on that in the near future, unless, of course, someone beats me to it!

Sounds like the movie might be one of the GREAT ones!

richfed
Sachem

King 1
USA

May 13 2002

Administrator

Posted - February 09 2003 :  07:34:25 AM  Show Profile  Visit richfed's Homepage  Click to see richfed's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by Wilderness Woman

Newsflash!!

I am editing this in, because I just found this online! Go to www.theamericanenterprise.org Scroll down to "Civil War on the Big Screen." Click on "page images of both articles." This is a .pdf file, so you will need Adobe Reader. But you will be able to see the great photos, and read the entire article.
Enjoy!

You've got to stop this!!!!! I'm going crazy!!! Finally had the time to follow the link & read the articles over there. This is going to be spectacular - Robert Duvall, one of the prime reasons I am so fond of Lonesome Dove, will immeasurably enhance this project, I am quite sure, with his interpretation of Robert E. Lee.

It seems that finally - finally - folks interested in history will get what they bargained for! With the new Alamo flick in production & Sayre's upcoming F&I War saga ... maybe it's the new wave! We can hope!

Wilderness Woman
Watcher of the Wood

Young George Washington
USA

November 27 2002

Donating Member

Posted - February 09 2003 :  3:21:08 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
I'm sorry, Rich... I just can't help myself!

Ain't it excitin'? I rarely ever listen to what "official" movie critics say about films, and I don't even know who this guy is (who wrote the article); but it is so beautifully written...

If you've heard about the soundtrack, in particular the songs of Bob Dylan and Mary Fahl, and would like to hear some of it... go to: www.godsandgeneralsmusic.com where you can listen online to both of these, plus other parts of the soundtrack.

I saw and heard the Bob Dylan video, which was played at the end of the recent broadcast of Gettysburg, but did not hear Mary Fahl's song called "Going Home." I heard it on this website. It is one of the most hauntingly beautiful songs I have ever heard. Between her cool, mellow voice, the beautiful melody, and the heart-wrenching lyrics... I was actually in tears.

Go and give it a listen!

Wilderness Woman
Watcher of the Wood

Young George Washington
USA

November 27 2002

Donating Member

Posted - February 14 2003 :  9:34:01 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
Hey Rich!

One more week!

WW

richfed
Sachem

King 1
USA

May 13 2002

Administrator

Posted - February 15 2003 :  05:29:47 AM  Show Profile  Visit richfed's Homepage  Click to see richfed's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
You're bad, WW!!!

But, glad you posted this anyway, 'cause I'd forgotten to come back here ... I listened to the songs above. Very powerful. This movie has all the promise of a truly great one! Even my compatriots at work are talking about it!

Pen
Colonial Settler

February 03 2003

Posted - February 15 2003 :  2:21:26 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
Hi, All!

I'm so hyped about 'Gods and Generals' that my palms are itching as I type this .

I'm very interested in seeing Stephen Lang play Stonewall Jackson. Lang did such a great job as Pickett in 'Gettysburg' that it's difficult for me to imagine him playing another character, especially since Pickett will be played by someone else.

Martin Sheen was the primary reason I watched 'Gettysburg'--I didn't think he could pull it off. Boy, was I wrong on that one! Though I will miss Sheen, I can't wait to see Robert Duvall in the role. He's always good in whatever he does.

Pen

Wilderness Woman
Watcher of the Wood

Young George Washington
USA

November 27 2002

Donating Member

Posted - February 15 2003 :  2:45:03 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by Pen

I'm so hyped about 'Gods and Generals' that my palms are itching as I type this .

As you can probably tell... Me Too!
My husband and I are going to try to go see it next weekend. Actually, I am kind of surprising myself. My interests really lie in the Rev. War, so I am not really what you would call a Civil War Buff. However I do like a good Civil War movie or book.

I agree with both of your comments regarding the actors. I think they all were great. Of course, I liked everything about Gettysburg.

CT•Ranger
Colonial Militia

indian ... nicholas
USA

October 14 2002

Posted - February 21 2003 :  12:44:13 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
Haven't seen it yet, maybe tonight or tomorrow, but I've been reading many of the online reviews. The majority of the reviews are extremely negative, claiming the film is full of southern bias and idolatry. One review went so far as to claim that the film was whitewashing history just because not all the southerners are evil and there are free blacks supporting the south in the film. Another reviewer was too confused by the extremely historically accurate uniforms because all the rebs weren't in gray and the yanks all in blue. The same reviewer didn't think there was enough blood and gore either. However one reacurring them in all the reviews, both negative and positive was that it seems the editing job done on the theatrical release has left it lopsided and fragmentary, hopefully the longer dvd/cable tv release will fix that. Below is one of the more positive reviews i read:

"The battle scenes in Gods And Generals, a prequel to the 1993 film and cable TV fixture Gettysburg, have a harrowing quality that shows just how cheap life becomes during wartime. As soldiers move forward in Napoleonic line formations, one rank after another falls victim to the volleys of gunfire. As daytime battles fade into night, their bodies become useful only as human shields. These horrors have been captured better elsewhere, but it never hurts to be reminded of the ugliness of war, and the hundreds of extras mostly Civil War re-enactors—capture that ugliness well. Now, the bad news: Gods And Generals is playing in theaters when it belongs on television, where snacks and bathroom breaks can counteract its punishing dryness, and the option of watching something else doesn't involve driving home. It's the sort of film loved by lazy history teachers: long and loaded with enough information that it can pass as education. Characters enter the story with subtitles announcing their names. They speak in dialogue packed with facts and statistics. They discuss battle plans at length. They talk about relevant newspaper stories. Viewers may be unsure whether to eat popcorn or take notes. Defiantly uncinematic, the nearly four-hour johnnycake of a film follows the American Civil War and its major players from the days following the attack on Fort Sumter to the death of Stonewall Jackson, using Jackson, played by Stephen Lang, as its focal point. Adapted by Ronald Maxwell from the book by Jeff Shaara (whose father's novel The Killer Angels served as Gettysburg's basis), Gods has a lot of ground to cover, and doesn't cover it too well. When not piling on the trivia, it moves from one speech to another, all to the accompaniment of music so dramatic that only footage of the world's creation could match it. Its quieter moments are little better, dominated by condemnations of slavery (from generals on both sides), shots of black people looking concerned as their masters march to war, a scarlet-fever-prone moppet, a hymn or two, and, oh Dixie, some delicious-looking lemonade. Robert Duvall and Jeff Daniels class the joint up a bit, but they're stuck in a film that aspires to be nothing more than a collection of dramatized historical incidents. Given that Gods And Generals feels as long as the war itself, there's only so much they can do. —Keith Phipps"

YMHS,
Connecticut•Ranger
Thomas Thacher

Sjt. Malcolm MacWilliam
Pioneer

September 11 2002

Posted - February 21 2003 :  3:17:20 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
I will be going tomorrow (as plans are now) with Pvt. JohnsTon and Pvt. LaMont. We look forward to viewing this epic film. Confederates as human beings and in various uniforms?? Huzzah!! I am there already. Lee and Jackson MUST have been Highlanders...invoking God's name as they do battle. We Scots understand!! Pax Aye! Sjt. Malcolm MacWm., 77th Reg't of Foote, Grenadier Co.

Wilderness Woman
Watcher of the Wood

Young George Washington
USA

November 27 2002

Donating Member

Posted - February 21 2003 :  3:53:22 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
Whoa! That was positive?? Crikey! I'm seein' red right now!

I will, of course, be forming my own opinion after I see the movie, hopefully tomorrow afternoon. But I really get disgusted with movie critics in general. It just seems like they can't relax and see a movie for what it is, but have to pick it apart until they find something to not like. Grrrrrrr!

I, for one, am going to sit there for 3-1/2 or so hours and allow myself to be fully immersed and totally entertained! I am going to try for this, as quoted in the above magazine article I spoke of: "that one watches it as if in a trance, wondering if he hasn't stumbled into a movie theater in an alternative America..."

Pen
Colonial Settler

February 03 2003

Posted - February 21 2003 :  6:23:23 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
Hi, All,

Both theaters I phoned for showtimes listed the 'G&G' at over 4 hours' runtime; one said 4:04, the other said 4:14! Both had only two showings per day. I'm still planning to go see it, but it's literally gonna take me all day, as it's only showing at out-of-the way theaters in my area. Sheesh! Wish me luck !

Does anyone know how long 'G&G' will be in theaters?

Pen

Many Flags
Colonial Settler

USA

August 13 2002

Posted - February 21 2003 :  6:48:24 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
JohnsTon, LaMont and I have reserved tickets for tomorrow at 2:10 PM and I understand that it is 4 hours long. Malcolm MacWilliam

CT•Ranger
Colonial Militia

indian ... nicholas
USA

October 14 2002

Posted - February 21 2003 :  11:50:41 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
Well I just got back from seeing "G&G" with the wife, it sure took a good chunk of time, from 7pm to 11pm (there's about 25 minutes of previews and commercials), but I believe it was worth it. The interesting thing is that my wife, who is not a history buff at all liked it too. It focused a lot on Jackson (whom I'm distantly related to on my mother's side) which isn't too bad, but I would of liked to see more of the Union perspective with Chamberlain and Hancock. And sometimes it did seem a little overly dramatic at points, but that's just a matter of taste. It was cool to see the variety of uniforms in both the Union and Confederate armies at the First Bull Run, and to hear the variety of accents amongst the men from Maine, Ireland and Virginia. Overall I enjoyed it and thought it was a good film. Another cool thing is that maxwell is going to make part 3 of the trilogy "The Last Full Measure."

YMHS,
Connecticut•Ranger
Thomas Thacher

richfed
Sachem

King 1
USA

May 13 2002

Administrator

Posted - February 22 2003 :  08:21:23 AM  Show Profile  Visit richfed's Homepage  Click to see richfed's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
Good to hear a "live" review! Hope to read some more soon ...

For those not able to see it this weekend, The History Channel has a special on the film this Monday night, February 24, at 11PM [EST].

daire
Colonial Settler

USA

November 17 2002

Posted - February 23 2003 :  09:34:16 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by CT•Ranger

Another cool thing is that maxwell is going to make part 3 of the trilogy "The Last Full Measure."

Ok, good, now we know what that little blurb at the end meant. lol Dad and I were debating whether it meant they actually WERE going to do TLFM or just saying G&G was part of a book trilogy.

Mini-spoilers alert

We saw it yesterday and I agree with CT Ranger, a lot of focus on Jackson, but overall very good. Though a few times I was confused who was who (I'm years out of practice remembering which generals/commanders were on which side) because in the beginning they all had blue uniforms. Battle scenes looked well put together to me. And two scenes are very poignant, I think: when they show the Irish fighting the Irish and when Jackson cries.

And, for any reenactors around, were the tricorns some sported out of place? It just seems to me that they had gone more or less out of style. One aspect I didn't care for - for me only and my opinion; I know people were/are deeply religious, but it seemed there was too much emphasis on Jackson's devoutness. Once would have been enough to get the point across, IMO. Also, they skipped over most of 1962.

There is @ a 10 minute intermission about half way through - at least we had one. If your theater has uncomfy seats, you may want to take an extra cushion to sit on!

daire

Wilderness Woman
Watcher of the Wood

Young George Washington
USA

November 27 2002

Donating Member

Posted - February 23 2003 :  2:08:17 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
Well. My husband and I went Saturday afternoon. It was, in a word, magnificent. From the opening credits, backed by that beautiful Mary Fahl song “Going Home”, to the ending credits, backed by Dylan’s “Cross The Green Mountain”, it was incredible. Here are some thoughts:

Photography: stunning. The battle scenes were the best choreographed I have ever seen. I totally disagree with the above reviewer that CTRanger posted. The camera angles were unusual in some spots and gave a visual perspective that was new to me, making me feel that I was right there. The surround-sound really helps with that. Those bullets really whizz by your ear!

Acting: for the most part quite good. There were just a couple of places that seemed a bit overly dramatic, as CTRanger stated. But all in all, it is more than acceptable. I was especially taken with Stephen Lang and hope that he might get an Oscar nomination. Duval was, of course, excellent... but I think we all expected that from him. Many, many good small-part characterizations.

Storyline: yes, it was primarily a story about General Thomas (Stonewall) Jackson. And that is OK. It is time we all realize that no matter what our personal opinions are about the North or the South or which "side" we're on, there were good men and heroes on both sides. Jackson was one of those. Gettysburg focused strongly on Chamberlain, so it is fitting that the South has a turn.

Accuracy: unfortunately, I am not knowledgeable enough about the Civil War to attest to that, but my husband felt it was quite accurate regarding both events and things like uniforms, etc. I had seen paintings of the extremely colorful and unusual Zouave Regimental uniforms, so was pleased to see them represented. The unit with the Rev. War style uniforms? I don’t know, but I quite imagine that was accurate. If a regiment could wear fez hats... why not tricorns? Our reenactor friends can help us out with this subject.

Emotional content: Be forewarned... it is really there! For me it began with the song “Going Home” and went from there. I don’t want to spoil it, but Daire already mentioned the Irish brigades. This is powerful stuff... when the Northern Irish Brigade is ordered to advance to the front and find themselves directly facing the Southern Irish Brigade... Whoa!

Final note: We had an additional bonus. There was a reenactor out in the lobby with a display table set up. He lives here in the Binghamton area and he was in the movie! He is part of the 9th Virginia Regiment. We stood and talked with him for quite a bit after we came out of the movie, and he was very interesting and knowledgeable.

Did the movie live up to my high expectations? If you take the two professional reviews posted above, with the one I originally posted (from the American Enterprise magazine) as a 10 and the one CTRanger posted as a 1... I would place it at an 8. Do I recommend it? Absolutely! Don’t miss it.

Pen
Colonial Settler

February 03 2003

Posted - February 23 2003 :  2:44:15 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
Hi, Wilderness Woman,

Thanks for the review of 'G&G'. Since I won't get to see it for a while yet, I'm reading the book. Parts of it had me in tears, especially those with Hancock and Armistead. I think I'd better bring some Kleenex with me when I see the film....

I know there are plans to film 'The Last Full Measure'. I hope 'Gone For Soldiers' will also be filmed (okay, so I'm a completist !)

After I've finished reading Jeff Shaara's Civil War novels, I'm going to start on his Revolutionary War series!

Pen

CT•Ranger
Colonial Militia

indian ... nicholas
USA

October 14 2002

Posted - February 23 2003 :  2:56:24 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
"And, for any reenactors around, were the tricorns some sported out of place? It just seems to me that they had gone more or less out of style."

Ok so I can't claim to be an expert on this, but in my early teenage years I was quite the Civil War Buff (that faded when I discovered the 18th Century!). Yes they had gone out of style, I think the tricorns and rev. war uniforms was more of a costume uniform, kinda like the zouaves. I think I vaguely remember a Don Troiani illustration of this uniform in one of his books. It was kind of a throw back to the revolution, maybe demonstrating that militia unit had been in existence since the revolution, you know, kind of a pride thing. There were all kinds of crazy uniforms in the beginning of the war like those French zouaves, I believe there was also a highlander regiment from NY with plaid pants.

If Gods and Generals has got you interested in Civil War movies, I highly recommend "Ride with the Devil," directed by Ang Lee. It focuses more on the war in the "west", in Missouri and Kansas. When I first saw it my jaw literally dropped, the actors looked like they just stepped out of some 19th century pics of bushwhackers I have seen. The screenplay is another great part of the movie, the language they use is right on, excellent sountrack as well, plus some great fight scenes. If you like Civil War movies and haven't seen this, you really should go rent it.

YMHS,
Connecticut•Ranger
Thomas Thacher

daire
Colonial Settler

USA

November 17 2002

Posted - February 23 2003 :  7:12:53 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
Okay, that makes sense on the tircorn issue. That reason had crossed my mind. The French zouaves, I presume, were the ones in red... The long shots of them made them look like the Santa Brigade. lol That's another complaint I have about some movies, historical in particular, half the time they don't always identify groups or individuals. I couldn't keep track of some of the people and their names in G&G other than by sight. (Yeah, I know there are time constraints, but hey, it's a 4 hr movie already, what's a few more minutes to stick on some comments about who's who? hehe)

Re: Ride with the Devil...I have seen it, about six months ago when it was on TV. I wasn't quite ... stunned. It was okay, IMO. But they did look authentic to the time.

daire

daire
Colonial Settler

USA

November 17 2002

Posted - February 23 2003 :  7:18:54 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by daire

Also, they skipped over most of 1962.

Sheesh, well no wonder...I meant 1862.

daire

Gadget Girl
Gatherer of Gathering Gadgets

Winking Lady
USA

May 17 2002

Donating Member

Posted - February 23 2003 :  11:30:10 PM  Show Profile  Send Gadget Girl an AOL message  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
Just saw G&G this afternoon. Loved it!

I couldn't wait to get back here and ask about the "Santa Clause Brigade"! That is so funny that you too thought of that Daire. My daughter immediately turned to me and asked "Who are they?!", and I said the SC Brigade as stated above, then laughed. I agree with just about all WW says. The opening song and scenes had me teary eyed from the get go! I can see how, in the review CT posted, that some of the score was a tad over the top (the Chancellorsville scenes come to mind), but for the most part the music added so much to the scenes. I did walk out thinking it should have been named The Stonewall Jackson Story, missed not having a bit more of the Chamberlain and Lee story, although I LOVE Stephen Lang and thought he did a wonderful job. It was so neat too to see so many characters return from Gettysburg (Where WAS Duvall when they made Gettysburg?). Hancock is another favorite of mine - Sorry Pen, there isn't as much storyline about Hancock and Armistead (of course Richard Jordan is a missing fixture here, since he died of a brain tumor shortly after completing Gettysburg) as in Gettysburg, but bring the kleenex none the less!!!

The part about this movie that stood out to me was the comprehensive account of Fredricksburg. For the first time, not having any military background, the tactics of a battle were really clear to me! I understood so much. I've never seen a battle scene portrayed more completely and believably! Overall, I thoroughly enjoyed the movie and will probably try to see it again in the theater because of the beautiful Virginia and Maryland scenery. Definitely not one to be missed!!

GG

richfed
Sachem

King 1
USA

May 13 2002

Administrator

Posted - February 24 2003 :  05:40:11 AM  Show Profile  Visit richfed's Homepage  Click to see richfed's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by daire

One aspect I didn't care for - for me only and my opinion; I know people were/are deeply religious, but it seemed there was too much emphasis on Jackson's devoutness. Once would have been enough to get the point across, IMO.

I haven't yet seen this - maybe next weekend? - so I don't know how this was portrayed exactly, but Stonewall Jackson was an extremely religious man, to the point that many consider him fanatical ... all a bit "quirky," to put it mildly. So, it would seem focusing on this would be appropriate.

In any event, I'm happy to hear the movie focused on him. Jackson was probably the best military tactician of his time. Gettysburg might very well have been different if not for his ...

Oooop! Don't want to give away the plot!
Page: of 3 Previous Topic: A & E Movie Alert! Topic Next Topic: The Devils Disciple  
Next Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
| More
Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Jump To:

Around The Site:
~ What's New? ~
Pathfinding | Mohican Gatherings | Mohican Musings | LOTM Script | History | Musical Musings | Storefronts on the Frontier
Off the Beaten Trail | Links
Of Special Interest:
The Eric Schweig Gallery | From the Ramparts | The Listening Room | Against All Odds | The Video Clips Index

DISCLAIMER
Tune, 40, used by permission - composed by Ron Clarke

Custom Search

The Mohican Board! [Bumppo's Redux!] © 1997-2024 - Mohican Press Go To Top Of Page
Current Mohicanland page raised in 0.5 seconds Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.07