The Mohican Board! [Bumppo's Redux!]
The Mohican Board! [Bumppo's Redux!]
10/9/2024 11:22:05 PM
On the Trail...Home | Old Mohican Board Archives | Purpose
Events | Polls | Photos | Classifieds | Downloads
Profile | Register | Members | Private Messages
Search | Posting Tips | FAQ | Web Links | Mohican Chat | Blogs
Forum Bookmarks | Unanswered Posts | Preview Topic Photos | Active Topics
Invite a Friend to the Mohican Board | Guestbook | Greeting Cards | Auction (0) | Colonial Recipe Book
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 LAST OF THE MOHICANS
 The Last of the Mohicans ...
 Romping in the Hay: About Uncas & Alice
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
| More
Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Next Page

Author Previous Topic: Costume Conundrum Topic Next Topic: new - wow training days for LOTM cast
Page: of 4

richfed
Sachem

King 1
USA

Bumppo's Patron since [at least]:
May 13 2002

Administrator

Posted - January 29 2003 :  05:53:56 AM  Show Profile  Visit richfed's Homepage  Click to see richfed's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Poll Question:
It's there in the script; Eric Schweig talks of it in our interview ... Should the oft-discussed Alice/Uncas "love" scene have been included in the Director's Cut version of LOTM?
All comments welcomed below!

Choices:

Yes
No
As a deleted scenes extra only
Not sure

report to moderator

morgaine
Pioneer

USA

May 19 2002

Posted - January 29 2003 :  10:57:15 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
I voted for it as a deleted scene/extra because I would like it to be a separate little gem in its own right. Why can't we see it?
report to moderator Go to Top of Page

Gasaka Soquilla
Pioneer

Duel Heritage
USA

October 17 2002

Posted - January 30 2003 :  12:43:45 AM  Show Profile  Visit Gasaka Soquilla's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
Oh man, don't get me started again! [ha!ha!]
I want an expanded Directors Cut DVD, with *ALL* cut footage added,
and interviews+ !!!!

GasakaSoquilla
(Lighthorse)

Adjutant;
Joseph Brant's Volunteers
BAR Unit #225

daire
Colonial Settler

USA

November 17 2002

Posted - January 31 2003 :  7:40:10 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
Aye, I want the whole enchilada too! I want as much as possible. I can't get enough of the movie as it is. LOL!

daire

richfed
Sachem

King 1
USA

May 13 2002

Administrator

Posted - February 01 2003 :  5:14:24 PM  Show Profile  Visit richfed's Homepage  Click to see richfed's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
I voted, "as a deleted scenes extra only," but really it could have been, "not sure [if it should be there at all]".

Through the years, this "romance" has been one of the most talked about topics of all regarding LOTM. It's a constantly recurring theme. It would seem to me, that Michael Mann successfully spun a bit of magic here with this. Despite a virtual lack of any [or much, anyway] solid indication of romance, no less sex, he managed to intrigue and spur the imaginations of so many. Brilliant, actually.

I wonder ... if the scene were ever seen, would it ever be the same?

Wilderness Woman
Watcher of the Wood

Young George Washington
USA

November 27 2002

Donating Member

Posted - February 01 2003 :  5:30:02 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
OK. Guess I'm going to have to stop being incognito and confess. I... am the lone gunman! Er... I mean that I am the only one who has voted No!

Sorry, but I still haven't changed my mind since my post in the "Jhodi May Doesn't Look Like Alice" thread, on Dec. 17th.

To me, a love scene between Uncas and Alice simply has no place in the movie. Now I can appreciate a well-done love scene in a movie as much as the next person... I am not that old! However, it just wouldn't fit in with the story as it was presented in the finished movie. Maaaay...beee as a deleted scenes only... But I'm still thinking: No!

daire
Colonial Settler

USA

November 17 2002

Posted - February 01 2003 :  7:03:43 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
For me, it depends on how much of a love scene...if it were something along the lines of how they did The Kiss - although not to the same magnitude since Alice and Uncas are sort like secondary main characters - then I say put it in. If it surpassed The Kiss...I'd go for a deleted scene in the bonus material.

daire

Scott Bubar
Colonial Militia

USA

May 17 2002

Posted - February 01 2003 :  7:37:23 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
I have to go with 'deleted scene only'.

Since it was shot, I wanna see it.

But I think a secondary love story would only be distracting--Hawkeye and Cora are quite enough.

After all, how much mushy stuff can a guy take in one movie?

~~Aim small, miss small.

Wilderness Woman
Watcher of the Wood

Young George Washington
USA

November 27 2002

Donating Member

Posted - February 02 2003 :  12:46:17 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by daire

For me, it depends on how much of a love scene...if it were something along the lines of how they did The Kiss - although not to the same magnitude since Alice and Uncas are sort like secondary main characters - then I say put it in. If it surpassed The Kiss...I'd go for a deleted scene in the bonus material.

Oh, yes!! Loved "The Kiss" scene! But from what I remember reading in the script here on this site, it sounds as though the scene between Alice and Uncas in the cave under the waterfall... went much farther than that!

I agree with you, Scott, a major focus on another love story would take away from the beauty of the relationship that Cora and Nathaniel had. I rather liked the way Uncas' unrequited love was presented. He loved her enough to die for her. (Sniff, sniff) But she did not return it.

Oh! I just noticed! I am no longer the Lone Gunman! Someone else agrees with me!

sidony
Pioneer

June 21 2002

Posted - February 15 2003 :  9:31:36 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
I agree with Wilderness Woman. Hawkeye and Cora are the central love story, and I think it should remain that way.

Sunshine
Pathfinder

indian warrior 2
USA

July 26 2002

Posted - February 19 2003 :  12:46:57 AM  Show Profile  Send Sunshine a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
And representing the otherside. I think it should have been in the movie. I dont think it would have taken anything away from Cora and Hawkeye. Having both in the movie, would have presented two different love stories. Each with it's own special quality.

Wilderness Woman, I disagree with you. I think Alice did return Uncas love. This was illustrated in her lovers leap from the cliff after Uncas was murdered.

Scott, I do feel for you, regarding 'mushy stuff' though i would venture that women watch more 'heman' movies than guys watch 'mushy' movies all to please that special man in their lives.

Theresa
Bumppo's Tavern Proprietress

Theresa
USA

May 17 2002

Posted - February 19 2003 :  07:18:16 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
quote:

Scott, I do feel for you, regarding 'mushy stuff' though i would venture that women watch more 'heman' movies than guys watch 'mushy' movies all to please that special man in their lives.

Sunshine,

Perhaps we watch those 'heman' movies because of the "heman"!

Theresa

Sunshine
Pathfinder

indian warrior 2
USA

July 26 2002

Posted - February 19 2003 :  11:29:44 PM  Show Profile  Send Sunshine a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
Guilty as charged.

daire
Colonial Settler

USA

November 17 2002

Posted - February 20 2003 :  3:57:37 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
Hah, Theresa! This is true! I'm guilty as well. But, I like to think I enjoy a good he-man movie as well as a good 'mushy' movie. You'll find me in line for movies like Armageddon/Black Hawk Down/Swordfish to Ever After/Kate & Leopold/Princess Bride, etc., alike.

daire

Lurking Huron8304
Anonymous Guest

November 27 2002

Posted - February 24 2003 :  4:12:06 PM  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
I thing that the "love" scene should have been included. This is because I believe Alice did return Uncas' love.
It is important that Alice and Uncas' love be shown because it would make the death of Uncas even more poignant and tragic. How you may ask ? It would make his death more poignant because his death happens just as Uncas finds one he truly loves who loves him back. The fact that Uncas finds one he truly loves gives us hope that there will be a new generation with Mohican blood in it, that the Mohican blood line will be carried to a next generation. Alice and Uncas getting together gives us hope that that title of the movie "last of the mohicans" will not be fulfilled, that Chingachgook won't truly be the last blood Mohican left at the end of the movie. So I believe in this way that there is merit in showing the "love" scene between Alice and Uncas because it would strengthen and show more powerfully and evidently their love and make Uncas' death more tragic and make a greater impact of the reality in the end that aside from Chingachgook there are no other blood Mohicans left to carry on the Mohican blood line.

quote:
Originally posted by Sunshine

And representing the otherside. I think it should have been in the movie. I dont think it would have taken anything away from Cora and Hawkeye. Having both in the movie, would have presented two different love stories. Each with it's own special quality.

Wilderness Woman, I disagree with you. I think Alice did return Uncas love. This was illustrated in her lovers leap from the cliff after Uncas was murdered.

chasis_22
Colonial Settler

Mohican Brothers
USA

April 19 2003

Posted - April 20 2003 :  04:24:52 AM  Show Profile  Send chasis_22 a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
I definitely believe the scene should be added because it would make it a little bit more believable as to why Alice took a dive off of the cliff for Uncas. Not to mention that he is so hot and it would be awesome to see him make a steamy love scene! I have to admit that I am partial to Uncas though. In response to the reply from Lurking Huron I have to disagree about the mohican blood line being carried on by Alice and Uncas. She is not Mohican therefore the true blood of the Mohicans would disappear with the death of chingachgook. That is just my opinion though!

Lurking Huron0943
Anonymous Guest

November 27 2002

Posted - May 26 2003 :  07:42:44 AM  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
I will definitely love to see more footage of Uncas and Alice. Afterall, the title of the movie is The Last of the Mohicans, so Uncas's story should be the focal point of the movie.

ConfusedOne
Pathfinder

Uncas2
USA

May 18 2003

Posted - May 28 2003 :  02:39:34 AM  Show Profile  Send ConfusedOne an AOL message  Send ConfusedOne a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
At first i put "Yes" but then after reading everyone's posts, i'd have to change my mind to "As a deleted scenes extra only." I have decided this because it would make the uncut version so much better and more people will want to buy it.

Lurking Huron4273
Anonymous Guest

November 27 2002

Posted - July 27 2003 :  9:54:08 PM  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
In regards to the Uncas and Alice Love scene, I belive that there should of been a kiss shown between them,but mabey not a full out love scene. It seems odd to me though, that Uncas and Alice had a full out love scene, but Hawkeye and Cora didn't? If Hawkeye and Cora were suppost to be the main love story than the writer or director should have made a full out love scene for them and more of a kissing scene for Alice and Uncas (especially scince Alice and Uncas were supost to be younger). I think there needed to be at least a kiss between Uncas and Alice because to some people I belive the so called "feelings" between them two were unclear the first time you watch the movie. It really isn't untill you see the film a second time that the romance is more clear and the ending makes more scence. I do belive one of the main reasons that the love scene was not in the movie is because of Jodhi May's mother. At the time of the filming of TLOTM Jodhi May who plays Alice was only 16 or 17 years old and her mother was present on set most of the time. In order for minors to do a love scene like that, there parents must concent and I belive her mother objected to the love scene and that is one of the main reasons why it did not appear in the movie.

Lurking Huron0901
Anonymous Guest

November 27 2002

Posted - July 28 2003 :  02:59:29 AM  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
No, there was never a full out love scene between Uncas and Alice.
Eric Schweig said in the mohicanpress interview (http://www.mohicanpress.com/mo06014.html) that the love scence they filmed was only a puppy love kind of kiss.

For me it's ok that the directors cut out that love scence because the gentle hug between Uncas and Alice behind the waterfall is as powerful as a love scene, but they definitely shouldn't have cut out other chemistry scenes (like exchange of looks) between Uncas and Alice.
I would love to see the uncut version as described in the WashingtonPost review: http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-srv/style/longterm/movies/videos/thelastofthemohicansrkempley_a0a32a.htm

Lurking Huron2687
Anonymous Guest

November 27 2002

Posted - July 29 2003 :  12:04:00 PM  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
Please see the discussion at:
Carrying on the Mohican Tribe http://www.mohicanpress.com/messageboard/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=1013

quote:
Originally posted by chasis_22

I definitely believe the scene should be added because it would make it a little bit more believable as to why Alice took a dive off of the cliff for Uncas. Not to mention that he is so hot and it would be awesome to see him make a steamy love scene! I have to admit that I am partial to Uncas though. In response to the reply from Lurking Huron I have to disagree about the mohican blood line being carried on by Alice and Uncas. She is not Mohican therefore the true blood of the Mohicans would disappear with the death of chingachgook. That is just my opinion though!

richfed
Sachem

King 1
USA

May 13 2002

Administrator

Posted - July 29 2003 :  1:21:10 PM  Show Profile  Visit richfed's Homepage  Click to see richfed's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by Lurking Huron0901

I would love to see the uncut version as described in the WashingtonPost review: http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-srv/style/longterm/movies/videos/thelastofthemohicansrkempley_a0a32a.htm

I am wondering why you feel this reviewer saw an uncut version? Did I miss something?

Our buddy, Ros, did see one ... long ago: Director's Expanded Edition. You've got to scroll way down, past my verbiage, and past the Michael Mann interview stuff ...

Lurking Huron0901
Anonymous Guest

November 27 2002

Posted - August 01 2003 :  04:24:01 AM  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
Eric Schweig said there was a kissing scene between Uncas and Alice. In the interview Russell Means also mentioned the Uncas/Alice scenes that were cut (quote from RM interview: [And the scenes they cut about Uncas and his relationship with the white woman. There were more scenes in there, you know like LOOKS.])

Some of the comments in the washingtonpost review, like
[...Indeed the movie sets new standards when it comes to pent-up passion between not only Cora and Hawkeye, but also between Alice and Uncas, who have their own bodices to burst. The four of them look into the camera with such a burning yearning, it's amazing the lens didn't melt all over the sets...]
and her closing sentence: [And apparently those Mohicans were some good kissers.] makes me think that she may have seen the original version that includes all the looks and the kiss between
Uncas and Alice. I may be wrong though.

susquesus
Mad Hermit of the North Woods

Susquesus
USA

September 03 2003

Posted - September 26 2003 :  12:38:33 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
I voted for "as a deleted scene only". Obviously we'd all like to see every second of film that was shot but as a fan of the books it would be too much of a departure. None of the main characters did the "freak" in any of the novels. It was obviously implied, Uncas was born so Chingachgook and Hist must have, but nowhere was it written about. You were lucky to get an emotional embrace, let alone full blown boot-knockin'. A little bit more Jodhi May would definitely be acceptable and I'm sure the ladies wouldn't mind some more Eric Schweig.

rydergrl
Colonial Settler

Pisces
USA

November 03 2003

Posted - November 03 2003 :  10:37:31 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
I voted for the deleted scene just because I'd like to see what the director had in mind. However, I like the way the movie was shot; the embrace shared behind the waterfall...leaves something to the imagination.

What you give of yourself is priceless.

chasis_22
Colonial Settler

Mohican Brothers
USA

April 19 2003

Posted - November 06 2003 :  5:04:44 PM  Show Profile  Send chasis_22 a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
Now that I have thought about it, I change my vote to a deleted scene. I always love snooping around the deleted scenes after I have watched a movie. With the Uncas and Alice thing as a deleted scene or extra you still get to see the entire movie the way Mann felt was best, and then you get to see the extra stuff and make your own opinion on the director's choice to not add those specific scenes.
Page: of 4 Previous Topic: Costume Conundrum Topic Next Topic: new - wow training days for LOTM cast  
Next Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
| More
Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Jump To:

Around The Site:
~ What's New? ~
Pathfinding | Mohican Gatherings | Mohican Musings | LOTM Script | History | Musical Musings | Storefronts on the Frontier
Off the Beaten Trail | Links
Of Special Interest:
The Eric Schweig Gallery | From the Ramparts | The Listening Room | Against All Odds | The Video Clips Index

DISCLAIMER
Tune, 40, used by permission - composed by Ron Clarke

Custom Search

The Mohican Board! [Bumppo's Redux!] © 1997-2024 - Mohican Press Go To Top Of Page
Current Mohicanland page raised in 0.69 seconds Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.07