The Mohican Board! [Bumppo's Redux!]
The Mohican Board! [Bumppo's Redux!]
10/7/2024 7:32:13 PM
On the Trail...Home | Old Mohican Board Archives | Purpose
Events | Polls | Photos | Classifieds | Downloads
Profile | Register | Members | Private Messages
Search | Posting Tips | FAQ | Web Links | Mohican Chat | Blogs
Forum Bookmarks | Unanswered Posts | Preview Topic Photos | Active Topics
Invite a Friend to the Mohican Board | Guestbook | Greeting Cards | Auction (0) | Colonial Recipe Book
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 MOHICANLAND: Community
 Bunkhouse Banter!
 Deep Freeze
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
| More
Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Previous Page | Next Page

Author Previous Topic: Just my two cents.. Topic Next Topic: Alasdair Fraser Is Coming . . .
Page: of 14

Bea
Keeper of the Western Door

The Kiss 2
Canada

Bumppo's Patron since [at least]:
May 18 2002

Posted - January 22 2003 :  10:06:02 AM  Show Profile  Click to see Bea's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
Hi Brenda,

It looks like our whole country is under a deep freeze..No fun!
As I am writing it is still -31 with a windchill factor of -42. Ha, I am staying inside today!!! I sure hope this will ease up a bit..Perhaps a snowfall will help to bring the temps up!!

Carpe Diem
report to moderator Go to Top of Page

richfed
Sachem

King 1
USA

May 13 2002

Administrator

Posted - January 23 2003 :  05:56:21 AM  Show Profile  Visit richfed's Homepage  Click to see richfed's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
Mohicanland received still another 3 or 4 inches of the white stuff overnight. Now, the wind's picked up & the temperatures are plunging. Gonna be a "fun" excursion to work this AM ...

I know, you folks up in the North Country are laughing at our 3 or 4 inches, but around here it causes big problems!

Yuck!

Who said, "Come on Spring!" ?????!!!!!?????

Bea

The Kiss 2
Canada

May 18 2002

Posted - January 23 2003 :  10:08:55 AM  Show Profile  Click to see Bea's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
WEll, I didn't say it but I WANT spring!!!
Rich , I know if people are not used to the white stuff it can be quite awful. And the temps to boot!

Well, it's also snowing here again and the temps went up but now we have this horrible wind that increased the wind chill factor. We are warned to stay inside because of frostbite, but..I need to get groceries..ARGHH....Spring, please come with nice balmy temps, tulips, daffodils etc.. I am getting to old for weather like this!!!!

Carpe Diem

securemann
Deerslayer

offer of peace
USA

July 08 2002

Posted - January 23 2003 :  1:31:18 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
Right about now I would take 3 inches of snow and a temperature around 30 anytime.

Bea

The Kiss 2
Canada

May 18 2002

Posted - January 23 2003 :  1:46:16 PM  Show Profile  Click to see Bea's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
Come on up!!:) But I am sure you wouldn't like a windchill factor of -38 C.. I don't know what it is in Fahrenheit..Probably not much better..

Carpe Diem

Diane B.
Colonial Militia

Dream Catcher 2
USA

May 19 2002

Posted - January 23 2003 :  1:57:25 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
Hello, Everyone!

Here in the Hampton Roads area of Virginia (the southeastern part of the state which includes Norfolk, Chesapeake, Virginia Beach, and Portsmouth)we had some snow beginning around 5:00 a.m. this morning. It's stopped now, with some blue sky showing through and white fluffy clouds floating by.

However, I just talked to my sister who resides in Buxton, NC and the situation is quite different down there! For those of you who aren't familiar with the area, Buxton is on Hatteras Island and is the eastern-most point in the U.S. It is also where the Cape Hatteras Lighthouse is located. ANYWAY, they have had ONE FOOT of snow down there, with high winds & near-blizzard conditions. There are snow drifts of 2 - 3 feet and the snow is STILL coming down! It's the worst snow storm they've seen down there since Christmas of 1989!

So there sits my poor sister, wishing they had a lot LESS snow, and here I sit, wishing I had just a little MORE!

By the way, only 57 more days until Spring! Stay warm, everyone!

Rattlesnake Woman

"The earth does not belong to us; we belong to the earth." - Chief Seattle

Tim Cordell
Pioneer

USA

July 18 2002

Posted - January 23 2003 :  3:07:03 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
North Creek, NY Gore Mountain ski center...20 miles due west of Fort William Henry....100 below zero wind chill...They closed the mountain. For the first time that I have seen, Chicadees are flying up inside the engine compartment of my truck to get warm..In the daytime. Ice quakes..Yes there are such things. We have had 2 of them. They pound the house..One big crash..Caused by the ground freezing up rapidly. I have also heard two trees exploding in the woods. One of them last evening..The sap freezes and bursts the tree. WARMEST regards, Tim

Tim Cordell

securemann
Deerslayer

offer of peace
USA

July 08 2002

Posted - January 23 2003 :  5:26:51 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
Bea,What I meant was 30 degrees Fahrenheit.That would be a heat wave here.It is now -20 F with wind chill factor.I would rather have the little snow with 30 degrees F. The artic freeze gotta stop! My house is popping too at night along with my joints.

mohicanwarrior
Pioneer

indian warrior
USA

October 08 2002

Posted - January 23 2003 :  5:47:43 PM  Show Profile  Click to see mohicanwarrior's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
Well You know what......................... It's only been a month since this winter season really officially started and I am also ready for the warm weather to set in. Today in coulumbia was the coldest in 5 years, it got down to about -5 and we still had to go to school..... And you know what the night before I absolutly knew that we wern't gonna have school because of the temp. So i stayed up till 12 watching Last of The Mohicans with my cousin because she had never seen it before. She really loved it to. But I am absolutly ready for the hot weather to come any day now. mohicanwarrior

Bea

The Kiss 2
Canada

May 18 2002

Posted - January 23 2003 :  6:17:40 PM  Show Profile  Click to see Bea's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
Oops. Sorry I misunderstood you, secureman!! Due to the weather my brain must be frozen..:) I heard the weather may ease up for the weekend but will be back for the beginning of the week.YUCK!!!!!!!!
Time to put the blanket in the dryer to warm up..I am aching too!!!

Carpe Diem

Wilderness Woman
Watcher of the Wood

Young George Washington
USA

November 27 2002

Donating Member

Posted - January 24 2003 :  08:01:20 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
In all seriousness, I do feel for those of you in the southern portions of the country who are experiencing the "deep freeze"! 'Tis not fun when you are not used to it, and have valuable crops to worry about. Take care, and stay safe!
WW

Theresa
Bumppo's Tavern Proprietress

Theresa
USA

May 17 2002

Posted - January 24 2003 :  08:22:25 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
Hello WW and all,

Here in Alabama we woke up to 6 degrees. Thank goodness the wind has died down. Late yesterday evening the wind chill was -11. School is starting at 9:30 this morning so the bus riders won't have to get out so early. Stay warm everybody!

Theresa

Bea

The Kiss 2
Canada

May 18 2002

Posted - January 24 2003 :  1:12:11 PM  Show Profile  Click to see Bea's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
Joints, eh???
But Anth. Tulips first,yes????

Carpe Diem

securemann
Deerslayer

offer of peace
USA

July 08 2002

Posted - January 24 2003 :  4:22:31 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
What ever happened to global warming?

securemann
Deerslayer

offer of peace
USA

July 08 2002

Posted - January 24 2003 :  4:32:29 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
Only Anth can interpret forbidden things in innocent statements.Ok then,instead of my joints,how about my bones? Oh no! Bones who gotta bone? Beat you to it Anth old Barney pal!

Bea

The Kiss 2
Canada

May 18 2002

Posted - January 24 2003 :  4:57:57 PM  Show Profile  Click to see Bea's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
Global Warming???? Really, hard to believe!! Must be happening somewhere else..Australia???
I went out today for the first time in days and the windchill was ugly..I thought my fingers would be falling off!!! It is snowing so badly that people are leaving earlier from work..We have white out conditions and plenty of car accidents.. Here is to hoping that people won't get injured. This is horrible...

Carpe Diem

Scott Bubar
Colonial Militia

USA

May 17 2002

Posted - January 24 2003 :  8:20:54 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
Yessir, that beach is looking pretty good right now.

High today: 83°F

Expected low tonight: 75°F

(That's about 28° and 24° degrees for the Fahrenheit-challenged.)

~~Aim small, miss small.

Bea

The Kiss 2
Canada

May 18 2002

Posted - January 26 2003 :  2:51:07 PM  Show Profile  Click to see Bea's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
Did you say massage?????? But honeychile, you're too far away!!!!:)

Carpe Diem

securemann
Deerslayer

offer of peace
USA

July 08 2002

Posted - January 26 2003 :  5:48:05 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
Had a heat wave today.It was about 27 degrees F. Man, it felt good!

Brenda
Pioneer

Wink
Canada

June 17 2002

Posted - January 27 2003 :  12:08:19 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
quote:
When I was there in the late spring, it was just at the tail-end of the tulip season, so I just got a little taste of what it must be like at the height of the season. Incredible!

If you would like to tell the story, perhaps folks would be interested in knowing the history of the tulips in Ottawa? It's a very nice story.

Sorry, I've been away from the board for a while ... thanks for the comments Wilderness Woman! Yes I agree, Ottawa is a beautiful city and the Tulip festival is one of the best times to visit!

The history of the Tulip Festival ...

During the Second World War, Canada provided a safe haven for Holland's exiled Royal Family. They stayed at the Government House, and princess Margriet was born at the Civic Hospital here in Ottawa. In appreciation, Princess Juliana of the Netherlands presented Ottawa with 100,000 Tulip bulbs in 1945. Since then, tulips have become a symbol of international friendship and is celebrated with a festival every May. It is a wonderful festival with many different cultures joining in with traditional foods, music and dance. And of course the centre piece ... millions of tulips!

And yes, many people do skate to work in the winter! They take the canal, the "skateway" as it is known is the world's longest maintained skating rink at 7.8 kilometres.

Isn't it funny how you don't realize how unique your city is until someone else points it out to you?!!!!

“They say that you're never as wise as when you're a child. We'll never think that clearly again.”
From Arlington Road (1999)

Wilderness Woman
Watcher of the Wood

Young George Washington
USA

November 27 2002

Donating Member

Posted - January 27 2003 :  09:00:05 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
Hi Brenda!
That's right... it's the Rideau Canal, not a river! I remember now. At any rate, I had just moved east from Oregon, and had no experience with cold winters at all... and I was just flabbergasted when I saw the skaters. I felt as though I had been transported to Holland.

And the tulip story... I was so impressed with it when I first heard it. The other really neat thing about it was that your government temporarily ceded the maternity ward of the hospital to the Netherlands, so that the Princess could be born on the Netherlands' "soil," and thus be a citizen of her country! And I believe that Princess Juliana continued to send thousands of bulbs each year for a long time, didn't she?

Wonderful stuff! Your city is unique... and your country is a good friend! Thanks so much for telling it.
WW

Bea

The Kiss 2
Canada

May 18 2002

Posted - January 27 2003 :  10:15:22 AM  Show Profile  Click to see Bea's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
Yes, Queen Juliana sure did and I am sure her daughter Queen Beatrix is still following the tradition.The house the Royal family lived in was also later on given as a gift to the Canadian government... The Canadian gesture meant a lot to the Dutch. It gave them the hope they needed. BTW Princess Margriet comes to Ottawa quite often. On one of the roayalty boards I heard that she may visit again soon..Brenda, have you ever seen her?
Yes, I loves this story too..When I interviewed a Dutch lady for my book she shared this story with me.

Carpe Diem

securemann
Deerslayer

offer of peace
USA

July 08 2002

Posted - January 27 2003 :  10:47:42 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
Opened my big mouth too soon.The freeze is back in all its fury.Man,I hate this.

securemann
Deerslayer

offer of peace
USA

July 08 2002

Posted - January 27 2003 :  2:29:44 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
I need to get some mylanta.

Ilse
The Dutch Trader

Weerribben
Netherlands

May 17 2002

Donating Member

Posted - January 27 2003 :  5:23:28 PM  Show Profile  Visit Ilse's Homepage  Send Ilse a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
LOL guys!!

As for the story of Canada and the Dutch Royal family: yes! It has created a great bond between our nations.

OH HAI!
Blessinz of teh Ceiling Cat be apwn yu, srsly.
http://www.lolcatbible.com/index.php?title=Main_Page
Page: of 14 Previous Topic: Just my two cents.. Topic Next Topic: Alasdair Fraser Is Coming . . .  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
| More
Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Jump To:

Around The Site:
~ What's New? ~
Pathfinding | Mohican Gatherings | Mohican Musings | LOTM Script | History | Musical Musings | Storefronts on the Frontier
Off the Beaten Trail | Links
Of Special Interest:
The Eric Schweig Gallery | From the Ramparts | The Listening Room | Against All Odds | The Video Clips Index

DISCLAIMER
Tune, 40, used by permission - composed by Ron Clarke

Custom Search

The Mohican Board! [Bumppo's Redux!] © 1997-2024 - Mohican Press Go To Top Of Page
Current Mohicanland page raised in 0.38 seconds Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.07