The Mohican Board! [Bumppo's Redux!]
The Mohican Board! [Bumppo's Redux!]
10/7/2024 5:21:48 PM
On the Trail...Home | Old Mohican Board Archives | Purpose
Events | Polls | Photos | Classifieds | Downloads
Profile | Register | Members | Private Messages
Search | Posting Tips | FAQ | Web Links | Mohican Chat | Blogs
Forum Bookmarks | Unanswered Posts | Preview Topic Photos | Active Topics
Invite a Friend to the Mohican Board | Guestbook | Greeting Cards | Auction (0) | Colonial Recipe Book
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 MOHICANLAND: Community
 Bunkhouse Banter!
 Deep Freeze
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
| More
Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Next Page

Author Previous Topic: Just my two cents.. Topic Next Topic: Alasdair Fraser Is Coming . . .
Page: of 14

securemann
Deerslayer

offer of peace
USA

Bumppo's Patron since [at least]:
July 08 2002

Posted - January 17 2003 :  08:30:10 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Getting real tired of all this North Pole weather with no end in sight.Come on Spring!!!
report to moderator

Chris
Colonial Settler

Hawkeye II
USA

May 25 2002

Posted - January 17 2003 :  10:19:30 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
Send it up here. We'll gladly take it. They're talking about rain today! For pete's sake, we just got our snow a month ago. Let us keep it awhile.
report to moderator Go to Top of Page

Tim Cordell
Pioneer

USA

July 18 2002

Posted - January 17 2003 :  3:56:47 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
What you are going through is typical Fort William Henry weather for this time of year. LOTM fans should relish the experience!

Tim Cordell

Wilderness Woman
Watcher of the Wood

Young George Washington
USA

November 27 2002

Donating Member

Posted - January 17 2003 :  7:02:43 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
Boy... I don't know, Securemann... sounds like you are getting to be a little outnumbered here!

And to add to it, I have to say that I Love Winter!! The colder... the better... the snowier... the better! Must come from having lived up in the North Country (St. Lawrence Co.) of New York for 8 years. Ahhh... those 50 below zero nights! When you walk outside at night with every inch of your skin covered, and the snow squeeks beneath your feet, and the sky is a myriad of brilliant stars and it is so silent you can hear the trees popping... that's winter!

"It is more deeply stirring to my blood than any imaginings could possibly have been."

securemann
Deerslayer

offer of peace
USA

July 08 2002

Posted - January 17 2003 :  8:03:34 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
What is this an eskimo site? Hey Anth,I thought you hated winter and couldn't wait for spring? Frozen pipes and a dead car battery ain't no fun.Oh well,all you COLD-HEARTED people enjoy.lol.

Chris
Colonial Settler

Hawkeye II
USA

May 25 2002

Posted - January 17 2003 :  8:17:24 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
Run the water a little through the pipes on the outside walls of your building, and they shouldn't freeze. Get an engine block heater for your car and plug it in at night. And then go out and enjoy Wilderness Woman's beautiful stars and squeeky snow under your feet. That's when you know you're alive, not just existing.

richfed
Sachem

King 1
USA

May 13 2002

Administrator

Posted - January 18 2003 :  06:22:01 AM  Show Profile  Visit richfed's Homepage  Click to see richfed's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
Yesterday was the anniversary of the Battle of Cowpens [near Chesnee, SC - just south of the NC line]. This pivitol battle in the southern theater of the American Revolution was loosely depicted in the final scenes of the movie, The Patriot. Anyway, today they are having some living history programs, book signings, etc. going on down there and I had been planning to take the kids down there for a look. But, it's so darn COLD!

I'm with you on this one, Jim. Bring on the sweet smells of Spring.

We got hit with 3 or 4 inches of the white stuff late Thursday - a near national disaster for these parts. People were stuck all over the place; accidents were a-happening at a frantic pace. The worst of these was a car sliding off the road [the road my married son lives on] and flipping over into an icy creek. Mother & child drowned. Winter, to me, is a royal nuisance. To those unfortunate two, it was much worse.

Of course, the last time we saw white - albeit mixed with ice - a tree fell on the house. Oh, what fun ...

All that said, I can remember well - up in the woods of East Mountain in NY - the images brought to life up above by Chris, Tim, & Wilderness Woman. There is a beauty.

Still, I can't wait for Spring ... flowers, birds, baseball, Easter, green ... and some thing called the Great Mohican Gathering!

Scott Bubar
Colonial Militia

USA

May 17 2002

Posted - January 18 2003 :  08:07:15 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
Winter sucks.

~~Aim small, miss small.

securemann
Deerslayer

offer of peace
USA

July 08 2002

Posted - January 18 2003 :  10:38:12 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
Hey Rich,Old East Mountain was about -12 last night.That doesn't even include the wind chill factor!

Christina
Deerslayer

Vampire
USA

May 27 2002

Posted - January 18 2003 :  5:42:32 PM  Show Profile  Visit Christina's Homepage  Send Christina an AOL message  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
I had to cover the annual Confederate Flag Rally on the State House grounds this morning here in Columbia (and I'm not going to elaborate on THAT one, opinion wise or experience wise) and it was about 25 degrees with a 15 mile an hour wind blowing. I had on three layers of clothes and gloves and still froze. Last night it was 16 degrees here in "sunny" South Carolina. We didn't even get the light dusting of pretty snow we were supposed to get...just FREAKING COLD WEATHER.
I have to echo the above sentiment...winter sucks.

Hoping to defrost soon,
Christina

See this face? This is the face of a woman on the edge.
Whoopi Goldberg, "Jumping Jack Flash"

Wilderness Woman
Watcher of the Wood

Young George Washington
USA

November 27 2002

Donating Member

Posted - January 18 2003 :  6:11:53 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
Hey! I've been there, with all of the associated problems of winter!

I've split my share of firewood...
I've wielded a chainsaw...
I've been in the act of putting the last chunk of firewood into the wood stove, as my husband was coming down the road on the tractor pulling the manure-spreader full of newly cut wood...
I've removed the battery from the 1950 Chev pickup we had and taken it into the kitchen at night to keep it warm so the truck would start the next morning...
I've milked a goat when my hands were so cold they could barely squeeze...
I've hauled 5-gallon buckets of water from the house to the barn, where 15 very thirsty milk cows were waiting, because a pipe froze in the barn...
I've picked up nearly-dead, half-frozen, newborn piglets and carried them to the kitchen to try to revive them...
And I still cried when we had to sell and leave our "homestead"...

So, sure... winter carries its problems, especially if you are not adequately prepared.

But then...
there is the warm, homey smell of woodsmoke that tickles your nose when you step out the door...
the Aurora Borealis flickering in greens and blues...
the jingle of harness bells on our friends' sleigh team...
the gentleness of snowflakes settling on the hay meadows...
a big pot of chili simmering on the stove and ready to eat when the chores are done and you are listening to "A Prairie Home Companion" on a Saturday evening...
and that absolutely, still, white, pristine beauty...that makes you feel somehow closer to God!

Scott Bubar
Colonial Militia

USA

May 17 2002

Posted - January 18 2003 :  7:23:27 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by Wilderness Woman

and that absolutely, still, white, pristine beauty...that makes you feel somehow closer to God!

And then you have to get up and shovel it.

~~Aim small, miss small.

Scott Bubar
Colonial Militia

USA

May 17 2002

Posted - January 18 2003 :  8:05:05 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
My idea of an idyllic winter scene:

Credit: St. Thomas-St. John Chamber of Commerce

~~Aim small, miss small.

Chris
Colonial Settler

Hawkeye II
USA

May 25 2002

Posted - January 18 2003 :  10:03:24 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
That's the trouble with this danged winter! It's down there with all you people who don't appreciate it, and up here we're getting RAIN!!! We had freezing rain last night which glazed the roads, but then turned to about 2" of snow. Today was beautifully sunny, but in the 30s! What a mess! Give me zero to 20 degrees and lots of snow anytime. Of course, about March, when we are ready for spring and it's still snowing, that beach would be very appealing.
Take care and keep shovelling.

Wilderness Woman
Watcher of the Wood

Young George Washington
USA

November 27 2002

Donating Member

Posted - January 19 2003 :  1:58:28 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
"And then you have to get up and shovel it."

Ahhh... come on, Scott... it's good exercise for ya!

Theresa
Bumppo's Tavern Proprietress

Theresa
USA

May 17 2002

Posted - January 19 2003 :  5:37:14 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
I don't particularly like to be cold....but I will tell you this...It certainly beats having those darn hot flashes I had back during the heat and humidity of last summer.

Theresa

Scott Bubar
Colonial Militia

USA

May 17 2002

Posted - January 19 2003 :  8:35:00 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by Anthony

GEE Scott: why sound SO BITTER and COLD and HateFul agianst the season of Winter.

I am ''Not What I Seem'' Help!'65

I was putting it mildly.

~~Aim small, miss small.

Theresa

Theresa
USA

May 17 2002

Posted - January 20 2003 :  12:20:06 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
Yea...well I bet yours wasn't due to hormones being all outta whack!

Theresa

Wilderness Woman
Watcher of the Wood

Young George Washington
USA

November 27 2002

Donating Member

Posted - January 20 2003 :  10:40:00 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by Anthony
and to **WILDERNESS WOMEN** I LIKE YOU....you got seasonal TASTE you DO............anth

Why thank you, Anthony! Coming from you, I consider that to be a real compliment!

daire
Colonial Settler

USA

November 17 2002

Posted - January 21 2003 :  12:27:16 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
As long as I can stay warm, I don't mind the cold and snow. I spent 17 yrs in Upstate New York (not as far as Wilderness Woman tho!), so I'm used to it. What I DON'T like is everyone trying to drive in it like the roads are clear and dry...THAT is one of the main reasons why there are so many accidents here. They freak out, and may be even over-cautious, and just don't know how to drive in it. Drives me nuts. That and they put salt on the roads BEFORE it even snowed. lol When the snow does melt off the streets, they are white with salt.

And I HIGHLY recommend a down comforter if you don't have one! I sleep in a t-shirt and shorts all winter long and am nice and toasty warm.

daire

securemann
Deerslayer

offer of peace
USA

July 08 2002

Posted - January 21 2003 :  3:13:37 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
We are in our third week of the freeze.Hoping that the Siberian express will finally move on out of here.Would anyone like to ride on it? By reviewing this forum,it seems that the train would be quite full.Ice-tea anyone?

Theresa

Theresa
USA

May 17 2002

Posted - January 21 2003 :  4:59:53 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
Ice tea? Did you say ice tea?! Why, tha-uts the only waaay we drink in heah in the Sou-uth, Shuga.

We drink it iced even when there's ice on the ground, in the trees, on the power lines, etc. Thanks for the offer.

Theresa

Bea
Keeper of the Western Door

The Kiss 2
Canada

May 18 2002

Posted - January 21 2003 :  9:40:11 PM  Show Profile  Click to see Bea's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
Chirs wrote:<Get an engine block heater for your car and plug it in at night.>

Oh, us Albertans relate to that!!!:) We had a fairly mild winter with barely any snow but boy, has it ever changed!!!!! WE've got dumped on big time ( which we needed) but our "high" will be -30 Celcius tonight!
Yuk!! My house will "speak" to me as the wood will be creaking..BRRR>>
I don't mind 3 months of winter with, let's say, a high of -6 C but anything below that..no thanks!! I am a spring/summer person and the pic Scott posted looked just fine to me!!! :)

Carpe Diem

Brenda
Pioneer

Wink
Canada

June 17 2002

Posted - January 21 2003 :  11:58:59 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
I'm with you Bea! We are at - 29 celsius tonight, tomorrow morning will be - 28, but will feel like -32 with the wind chill factor ... yuk!!!! I am definitely a summer person!

“They say that you're never as wise as when you're a child. We'll never think that clearly again.”
From Arlington Road (1999)

Wilderness Woman
Watcher of the Wood

Young George Washington
USA

November 27 2002

Donating Member

Posted - January 22 2003 :  08:18:50 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
Brenda, I have been in your beautiful city several times... in both the winter and the late spring... and it is absolutely beautiful!

The first time I was there was around Christmas time, and I was amazed to see people skating to and from work on the frozen river! Yes, folks! It's true! They take advantage of winter!

When I was there in the late spring, it was just at the tail-end of the tulip season, so I just got a little taste of what it must be like at the height of the season. Incredible!

If you would like to tell the story, perhaps folks would be interested in knowing the history of the tulips in Ottawa? It's a very nice story.

Bea
Keeper of the Western Door

The Kiss 2
Canada

May 18 2002

Posted - January 22 2003 :  10:03:03 AM  Show Profile  Click to see Bea's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
Yes, I know the story of the tulips.:) It has quite a bit to do with the Dutch Princess Margriet who was born in our country during World War II. As a matter of fact she celebrated her birhtday last Sunday..But- I'll let you tell it..:)

Carpe Diem
Page: of 14 Previous Topic: Just my two cents.. Topic Next Topic: Alasdair Fraser Is Coming . . .  
Next Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
| More
Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Jump To:

Around The Site:
~ What's New? ~
Pathfinding | Mohican Gatherings | Mohican Musings | LOTM Script | History | Musical Musings | Storefronts on the Frontier
Off the Beaten Trail | Links
Of Special Interest:
The Eric Schweig Gallery | From the Ramparts | The Listening Room | Against All Odds | The Video Clips Index

DISCLAIMER
Tune, 40, used by permission - composed by Ron Clarke

Custom Search

The Mohican Board! [Bumppo's Redux!] © 1997-2024 - Mohican Press Go To Top Of Page
Current Mohicanland page raised in 1.16 seconds Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.07