The Mohican Board! [Bumppo's Redux!]
The Mohican Board! [Bumppo's Redux!]
10/10/2024 3:19:47 AM
On the Trail...Home | Old Mohican Board Archives | Purpose
Events | Polls | Photos | Classifieds | Downloads
Profile | Register | Members | Private Messages
Search | Posting Tips | FAQ | Web Links | Mohican Chat | Blogs
Forum Bookmarks | Unanswered Posts | Preview Topic Photos | Active Topics
Invite a Friend to the Mohican Board | Guestbook | Greeting Cards | Auction (0) | Colonial Recipe Book
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 LAST OF THE MOHICANS
 The Last of the Mohicans ...
 "All-new Director's Definitive Cut" coming this year!
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
| More
Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Previous Page | Next Page

Author Previous Topic: What happened to John Cameron? Topic Next Topic: Twenty Years Ago,  August, 1991 - The French Camp
Page: of 3

Fitzhugh Williams
Mohicanland Statesman

Bumppo's Patron since [at least]:
July 17 2005

Posted - July 30 2010 :  4:40:00 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by Wilderness Woman

My problem is that I don't have Blu-ray. So, this won't be released on regular DVD?

The world is moving to Blu-ray. All, that is, except me. No big screen, High Def, Blu-ray. I even have a box of 8-track siting right beside my desk. It's just that my player broke!

"Les deux pieds contre la muraille et la tete sous le robinet"
report to moderator Go to Top of Page

richfed
Sachem

King 1
USA

May 13 2002

Administrator

Posted - July 31 2010 :  09:09:00 AM  Show Profile  Visit richfed's Homepage  Click to see richfed's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
I don't have a Blue-Ray player either. The LOTM disc, if any different than what we already have [and I'm still not certain what is on the upcoming release - those Amazon reviews refer to the DVD/VHS], will be my sole Blu-Ray disc. Next order of business would be to find a friend who has a player!!!

mccspqr
Lost in the Wilderness

John Cameron
USA

October 29 2008

Posted - August 03 2010 :  10:38:38 AM  Show Profile  Visit mccspqr's Homepage  Send mccspqr an AOL message  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
I am very delighted to see the upcomming possibility of a Blue Ray release. I too, would love to see the availability of the original theatrical version. I have recently completed reading Cooper's original novel, and although the differences between the book and the film are many, the film captures the spirit of America at the time in a fantastic manner. I only hope that the new release continues to enhance this film and bring it's followers more plesure.

Peace

richfed
Sachem

King 1
USA

May 13 2002

Administrator

Posted - August 07 2010 :  10:23:35 AM  Show Profile  Visit richfed's Homepage  Click to see richfed's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
This release is not just "possible" ... it WILL be released on October 5, 2010 -- less than 2 months away. We just don't know what is on it yet, for sure. "Director's DEFINITIVE Cut" sure sounds enticing, though!

Flammable
Pioneer

October 18 2009

Posted - August 13 2010 :  10:25:20 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
"running time of 114 minutes" http://www.blu-ray.com/news/?id=4969

Disappointment! This will just be director's cut 2.0 and we will not see anything new. Something will be taken out, I guess. I doubt anything will be added except for tiny little details at best.

IWLFNDU
Colonial Settler

IWLFNDU
USA

May 08 2010

Posted - August 13 2010 :  1:30:42 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by Flammable

"running time of 114 minutes" http://www.blu-ray.com/news/?id=4969

Disappointment! This will just be director's cut 2.0 and we will not see anything new. Something will be taken out, I guess. I doubt anything will be added except for tiny little details at best.

This is a bummer! 114 minutes? I'm all about going back to the original release or the original concept....We can only wait with bated breath! Ugh! Is it October yet? Are we gonna have a huge viewing party or what?

''Only when the last tree has died, the last river has been poisoned, and the last fish has been caught, will we realize that we cannot eat money.''

~ Cree Proverb

winglo
Deerslayer

USA

July 13 2007

Donating Member

Posted - August 13 2010 :  8:28:58 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by richfed

This release is not just "possible" ... it WILL be released on October 5, 2010

This is good news, but this,
"running time of 114 minutes," is not. Oh, well. . .

Flammable
Pioneer

October 18 2009

Posted - August 14 2010 :  05:29:54 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
I hope the running time is longer. Of course it is possible that information is wrong.
If this is just a shorter or "fixed" version of the director's cut I aint buying it because I don't have a blu-ray player and I already dig the two available versions and this is not adding anything new worth the price of the disc and a player. For a new cut with atleast 10-20 minutes of new footage I would have borrowed or even bought a blu-ray player but not for this.

richfed
Sachem

King 1
USA

May 13 2002

Administrator

Posted - August 14 2010 :  10:02:52 AM  Show Profile  Visit richfed's Homepage  Click to see richfed's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
Here are some slight positives from some reviewers:

Mann has worked on an all-new, definitive directors cut for this Blu-ray release from Twentieth Century Fox.

- Sean O'Connell

The Last of the Mohicans on Blu-ray will be presented in 2.4:1 1080p video and 5.1 DTS-HD Master Audio. Bonus features include a Commentary by Director Michael Mann; The Making Of The Last of the Mohicans featuring new interviews with Daniel Day-Lewis; and the Theatrical Trailers.

- TheHDRoom

Twentieth Century Fox Home Entertainment today announced that The Last Of The Mohicans will debut on Blu-ray Disc Tuesday, Oct. 5, featuring an all-new directors definitive cut by acclaimed director Michael Mann (Public Enemies, Heat, Manhunter) and new interviews with two-time Academy Award-winning actor Daniel Day-Lewis (My Left Foot, There Will Be Blood).

- Kevin Coll

Bottom line: None of us yet know. Time will tell. If all else fails, we still have two fantastic editions of this great film in our hands. That can suffice ... Apparently, there is not enough cut footage in good shape to warrant any major re-release. So be it.

Flammable
Pioneer

October 18 2009

Posted - September 24 2010 :  5:34:16 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
Has anyone noticed in the director's cut how in the scene where Hawkeye and Cora are leaving the huron village the picture quality noticeably changes for the worse?
I remember reading an interview with Mann saying that all the material that was shot for the movie is very well preserved but for example that scene shows that not all material is that well preserved. Is it possible that some of the film material has been damaged and if so how is it possible that the film rolls would get damaged in that way that the picture quality suffers? Of course if the warehouse was flooded or something but under normal circumstances especially as not all of the material is damaged because most of the material in the director's cut is in a good shape...
And is this maybe the reason why we didn't see a longer edit of the film back in 1999 when the DC came out and it seems we wont see more of the film now that the blu-ray is coming?
Does anyone of you have any information about this or theories?

Flammable
Pioneer

October 18 2009

Posted - September 28 2010 :  10:15:27 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
Ok,

some people have already seen the new cut and are reporting about it to the internet. They say it is basically the same as the theatrical cut with little tweaking here and there. It runs just over 114 mins. The Clannad song is back but the lyrics are in gaelic, not english, which, I guess is Mann's way of saying "up yours" to everyone who've been whining about the removal of that song in the last cut - if this is true the change of language in the song makes the song even more pointless since the voice is not saying "I will find you" but something that cannot be understood. I am disappointed Mann gave in about this song because in my opinion there is no place for a modern song in a historical epic.
"Someday you and I are gonna have a serious disagreement" is back which was the one thing that bothered me the most about the director's cut. That is a great moment in the film.

Anyway, I'm scared to think what did Mann remove about the additions of the director's cut. Did he cut the battle scene with the cannons short again? Did he cut Heywards diversion? Nightmares!!
I still wonder what is his or someone's problem about not letting people see more of the film. They could have easily released this and a major re-cut, or the theatrical cut and a major new cut.

Could someone with a blu-ray player give us a detailed account about the film when they have seen it? I haven't seen this new cut.

Edit: Chingachgook's speech in the end is cut back to the shorter theatrical version which I find very surprising since Mann said about it in relation to the dc "it shouldn't not have been cut in the first place" commenting about how he restored his original intention about the speech for the dc.

winglo
Deerslayer

USA

July 13 2007

Donating Member

Posted - September 28 2010 :  1:20:03 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
Sounds like Mann gave into some of the complaints he's been hearing about the director's cut for the last decade. Ultimately, I guess it's all about what will sell best.

Flammable, I disagree about the Clannad song. Yes, I think it should be in English because then it agrees with Hawkeye's "I will find you" speech. But, if "modern" music shouldn't be included in a historical movie, then MOST of the music in the movie shouldn't be there, since much of it was written in the 1990's (The Gael, obviously, is an exception.)

Flammable
Pioneer

October 18 2009

Posted - September 28 2010 :  2:37:30 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
I meant the music style wise (in general terms). The classical orchestration fits in just nicely (even with the slight synthetisator in the beginning of the movie - the soundtrack to the hunt) with the era but the Clannad song which is style wise very modern music and especially the recording with all the heavy effects just brings in mind to me like an intro to a disco song - late night night club music.

If people find more details about this cut let us know.

P.s. how many of you also believe that Mann removed the "breed apart" line and added the ending speech by Chinga to make the director's cut more politically correct? Sad to say but I'm pretty sure that is the reason why especially the 'breed apart' line was cut off.

winglo
Deerslayer

USA

July 13 2007

Donating Member

Posted - October 07 2010 :  9:45:17 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
Did anyone get their copy yet? Anything new in this version?

celboy
Lost in the Wilderness

USA

December 16 2006

Posted - October 08 2010 :  01:50:01 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
I have to do a side by side comparison. One thing I noticed was Magua's war cry before the massacre has been removed.
Also, in the new making of, Madeleine Stowe still looks awesome.

Fitzhugh Williams
Mohicanland Statesman

July 17 2005

Posted - October 08 2010 :  08:41:13 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by celboy

Madeleine Stowe still looks awesome.

Some things don't change!

"Les deux pieds contre la muraille et la tete sous le robinet"

richfed
Sachem

King 1
USA

May 13 2002

Administrator

Posted - October 09 2010 :  10:33:02 AM  Show Profile  Visit richfed's Homepage  Click to see richfed's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
I canceled my pre-order. From all I can derive, there are only minimal differences between this version and either of the previous releases. Since I don't even have a BluRay player --- and I have plenty of good shots of Ms. Stowe on hand already - there is no point in purchasing at this time. There are far more "extras" on this site than any disk could provide anyway!!!

richfed
Sachem

King 1
USA

May 13 2002

Administrator

Posted - October 16 2010 :  07:55:17 AM  Show Profile  Visit richfed's Homepage  Click to see richfed's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
Mostly appalling reviews! http://www.amazon.com/Last-Mohicans-Directors-Definitive-Blu-ray/dp/B000Y5CHIE/ref=sr_1_1?s=dvd&ie=UTF8&qid=1287229817&sr=1-1

Here's just one:

We ALL got SCALPED on this Blu-ray release!, October 14, 2010 This review is from: The Last of the Mohicans: Director's Definitive Cut [Blu-ray] (Blu-ray)
My years of anticipation were met with such cruel disappointment for this Blu-ray release of Michaels Mann's Last of the Mohicans. How is it allowed that one of my all-time favorite movies be issued in hi-def WITHOUT the hi-def?
I kept having to adjust brightness, tint, volume, sharpness throughout the viewing of this disc to try to compensate for the lackluster degraded transfer of this film. Everything said about the picture being way too dark, hazed over in yellow/orange is all sadly true. My adjustments took something else away from the picture and left me sooo frustrated and confused I could hardly believe it. My DVD of this movie looks better on a standard def tv. A hardy BOOOOO HISSSSSSS! go out to the team in charge of this one. HUGE LET DOWN!

IWLFNDU
Colonial Settler

IWLFNDU
USA

May 08 2010

Posted - October 16 2010 :  10:12:52 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
This is a total bummer! I had such high hopes! I wonder why the quality is so poor. The whole damaged film theory? Either way, I still say give us the theatrical version or the original 3+ hour original vision. Not this....ugh...so disappointing.

Plus, I was hoping for more Alice and Uncas, too...Yea, I'm wearin' the "Team A & U" shirt...Sorry.

''Only when the last tree has died, the last river has been poisoned, and the last fish has been caught, will we realize that we cannot eat money.''

~ Cree Proverb

Robbman
Pathfinder

November 02 2010

Posted - November 02 2010 :  4:02:15 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
I just picked this up on blu-ray. In short, I would say if you have a blu-ray player, get it. If you're thinking of picking up a Blu-ray player and are waiting for a favorite movie of yours to come out on blu-ray, then this is a good opportunity to pick one up. The other key is that you have a high definition TV. Don't mean to sound pedestrian about it all, but I noticed one of you above haven't embraced the hi-def viewing environment, and without all the right components, it's kind of pointless.

The key to blu-ray is if you get a quality transfer from the original medium. There are probably movies that don't get such a treatment, and are put on blu-ray from a work print simply to try to make money, or they're over-corrected digitally and it ruins the original look and feel of the film. This isn't one of those releases. Dante Spinotti's cinematography has never looked so good on the small screen, never looked so close to its original intended aesthetic, IMHO. Cinephiles should note that this is a release worthy of repurchase. For more on the technical side of the quality of this release, I recommend going here:

http://www.blu-ray.com/movies/The-Last-of-the-Mohicans-Blu-ray/10898/#Review

While it's video quality review appears mediocre here, I personally feel its the best transfer of this film to date. The graininess mentioned can be chalked up as directors intent, as a lot of Mann's movies seem to get the same overall comment on this forum. Mann's kind of known for not going for pristine photography, but more atmospheric and unconventional with his cinematography to evoke the feel he wants to achieve with his movies. To me, the key, for me grading this release so highly is that its never looked better on previous releases, and that's apparent to me, and I'm probably not the most discerning eye, so it's noticable.

I can't say I'm terribly familiar with the DVD director's cut. I own it, I've seen it, and from what I recall the newly restored scenes seemed grossly misplaced due to a difference in video and audio quality on the DVD. I'm watching the film now, and I'm at the meeting between Montcalm and Magua in the tent. This scene on the DVD was horribly discordant in sound and video. That has all been corrected here and is no longer distracting, so that's good.

Extras - The 3 act 'Making of the Last of the Mohicans' is fantastic. It's a recently filmed retrospective with several of the actors and Mann. I would have liked to have seen more features, including extras we've previously had on past releases.

Robbman
Pathfinder

November 02 2010

Posted - November 02 2010 :  5:00:31 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
Oh my.. they've recut the Sachem sequence. This is one of my favorite scenes, and they've changed around the sequence of certain dialouge pieces. It does not work near as well, but I can't figure out if that's because I'm so used to the way it was. I need to think about the sequences that were repositioned and see if I at least agree with the new placement. I thought that scene was so beautiful... how Sachem listens to everyone then makes his complete statement, switching mid-speeech from French to Huron. Now its all jumbled up. It feels clunkily edited now, the flow of the speech completely disrupted and I think it takes away from the coherence of Sachem's overall statement as well as his countenance. I never cared much for the whole Han / Greedo argument, never really bothered me one way or the other... but this... jeez.

Robbman
Pathfinder

November 02 2010

Posted - November 03 2010 :  7:28:56 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
One more thing.. was their a commentary with Mann on the DVD? The Blu-ray has it, and it was apparently recently recorded as he mentions Avatar. Curious if we got two different commentaries, which could be cool.

richfed
Sachem

King 1
USA

May 13 2002

Administrator

Posted - November 06 2010 :  10:59:07 AM  Show Profile  Visit richfed's Homepage  Click to see richfed's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
You know, I don't think there is a commentary on the DVD ... don't recall one, anyway.

winglo
Deerslayer

USA

July 13 2007

Donating Member

Posted - November 20 2010 :  6:44:35 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by Robbman

I just picked this up on blu-ray. In short, I would say if you have a blu-ray player, get it. If you're thinking of picking up a Blu-ray player and are waiting for a favorite movie of yours to come out on blu-ray, then this is a good opportunity to pick one up.

Good idea, Robbman. Maybe I will get one. They cost less than $150 now, I think.

richfed
Sachem

King 1
USA

May 13 2002

Administrator

Posted - December 19 2010 :  09:48:36 AM  Show Profile  Visit richfed's Homepage  Click to see richfed's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
OK ... has ANYONE else seen this version and care to provide a detailed report? I, for one, am curious!!!!
Page: of 3 Previous Topic: What happened to John Cameron? Topic Next Topic: Twenty Years Ago,  August, 1991 - The French Camp  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
| More
Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Jump To:

Around The Site:
~ What's New? ~
Pathfinding | Mohican Gatherings | Mohican Musings | LOTM Script | History | Musical Musings | Storefronts on the Frontier
Off the Beaten Trail | Links
Of Special Interest:
The Eric Schweig Gallery | From the Ramparts | The Listening Room | Against All Odds | The Video Clips Index

DISCLAIMER
Tune, 40, used by permission - composed by Ron Clarke

Custom Search

The Mohican Board! [Bumppo's Redux!] © 1997-2024 - Mohican Press Go To Top Of Page
Current Mohicanland page raised in 0.47 seconds Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.07