The Mohican Board! [Bumppo's Redux!]
The Mohican Board! [Bumppo's Redux!]
10/10/2024 3:19:46 AM
On the Trail...Home | Old Mohican Board Archives | Purpose
Events | Polls | Photos | Classifieds | Downloads
Profile | Register | Members | Private Messages
Search | Posting Tips | FAQ | Web Links | Mohican Chat | Blogs
Forum Bookmarks | Unanswered Posts | Preview Topic Photos | Active Topics
Invite a Friend to the Mohican Board | Guestbook | Greeting Cards | Auction (0) | Colonial Recipe Book
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 LAST OF THE MOHICANS
 The Last of the Mohicans ...
 What happened to John Cameron?
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
| More
Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic

Author Previous Topic: LOTM spoofed on Southpark Topic Next Topic: All-new Directors Definitive Cut coming this year!  

Flammable
Pioneer

Bumppo's Patron since [at least]:
October 18 2009

Posted - September 22 2011 :  6:19:52 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hello people.

I just watched the Directors definitive cut for the second time (I've seen the movie in different versions overall nearly hundred times. Seriously. Lost count/didn't bother to count after fifty.) and somethings been bothering me for some time. What happened to John Cameron? We know he decided to stay on his farm as the others joined the militia but when Nathaniel and co. arrive at Camerons cabin after it has been attacked we only see the body of his wife and presumably one of the children but no John Cameron. I suppose he got killed but does anyone know better?

Ps. a hint to director Mann: that background music during the scene where in the first half of the movie when the party is walking along the river and waterfall "there is a war going on. How is it that you are heading west?" scene is distracting. The scene would be a LOT better if it was just dialogue between Nathaniel and Heyward and NO background music.
Also, the way you have changed the Sachem scene with new editing and adding pointless and distracting background music to the scene is just blasphemy. Absolutely idiotic to ruin that scene.

Pps. Riched I still HATE that annoying midi music that comes up blasting from my stereo speakers everytime I enter the main forum :)
report to moderator

BookwormMG
Deerslayer

USA

August 12 2009

Donating Member

Posted - September 23 2011 :  5:51:17 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
I thought that we do see John Cameron's body -- not clearly, but an adult male lying under the partially collapsed timbers of the cabin.

"Glory, glory, hallelujah, welcome to the future!" -- Brad Paisley
report to moderator Go to Top of Page

Flammable
Pioneer

October 18 2009

Posted - September 23 2011 :  6:07:46 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
I am pretty sure it is one of the children. Atleast to me it looks like it is a child rather than a man.

Fitzhugh Williams
Mohicanland Statesman

July 17 2005

Posted - September 23 2011 :  6:16:57 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
I seem to remember a thread from a while back that said there were some very graphic scenes of the cabin that didn't make it to the film. And I seem to remember Cameron being in one of them.

"Les deux pieds contre la muraille et la tete sous le robinet"

Flammable
Pioneer

October 18 2009

Posted - September 23 2011 :  6:27:31 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
That is interesting. Anyone have a link?

richfed
Sachem

King 1
USA

May 13 2002

Administrator

Posted - September 24 2011 :  1:32:47 PM  Show Profile  Visit richfed's Homepage  Click to see richfed's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
It's clear he was killed.

As for the music, it stays as it lays.

IWLFNDU
Colonial Settler

IWLFNDU
USA

May 08 2010

Posted - September 26 2011 :  7:21:37 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by richfed

As for the music, it stays as it lays.

Touche, Rich! Perfect quote to use.

Even if you have not seen these pictures, if you look at one of the last revised scripts, you can see John Cameron is mentioned but not Alexandria. So I am sure Mann took liberties with the script to properly direct a scene and the manner in which he wanted that scene to come across to the audience. By showing a woman up close, clearly murdered (and a child's body in the debris), Mann leaves no doubt that everyone else had been killed, too. From earlier scenes, the audience knows John was not the type to flee while his family got attacked. Mann shows this without overly graphic scenes or gratuitous violence.

http://www.mohicanpress.com/mo07009.html

''Only when the last tree has died, the last river has been poisoned, and the last fish has been caught, will we realize that we cannot eat money.''

~ Cree Proverb
  Previous Topic: LOTM spoofed on Southpark Topic Next Topic: All-new Directors Definitive Cut coming this year!  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
| More
Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Jump To:

Around The Site:
~ What's New? ~
Pathfinding | Mohican Gatherings | Mohican Musings | LOTM Script | History | Musical Musings | Storefronts on the Frontier
Off the Beaten Trail | Links
Of Special Interest:
The Eric Schweig Gallery | From the Ramparts | The Listening Room | Against All Odds | The Video Clips Index

DISCLAIMER
Tune, 40, used by permission - composed by Ron Clarke

Custom Search

The Mohican Board! [Bumppo's Redux!] © 1997-2024 - Mohican Press Go To Top Of Page
Current Mohicanland page raised in 0.31 seconds Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.07