The Mohican Board! [Bumppo's Redux!]
The Mohican Board! [Bumppo's Redux!]
10/10/2024 3:21:15 AM
On the Trail...Home | Old Mohican Board Archives | Purpose
Events | Polls | Photos | Classifieds | Downloads
Profile | Register | Members | Private Messages
Search | Posting Tips | FAQ | Web Links | Mohican Chat | Blogs
Forum Bookmarks | Unanswered Posts | Preview Topic Photos | Active Topics
Invite a Friend to the Mohican Board | Guestbook | Greeting Cards | Auction (0) | Colonial Recipe Book
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 LAST OF THE MOHICANS
 The Last of the Mohicans ...
 Twenty Years Ago, August, 1991 - The French Camp
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
| More
Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic

Author Previous Topic: All-new Directors Definitive Cut coming this year! Topic Next Topic: LOTM theme by Royal Scots Dragoon Guards  

James N.
Colonial Militia

James N
USA

Bumppo's Patron since [at least]:
October 24 2007

Posted - August 07 2011 :  8:06:08 PM  Show Profile  Send James N. a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Saturday, August 3 was a day I'd been looking forward to for a long time, as it marked the end of the detestable all-night shooting sessions but one, the best of all. The week Aug. 5 - 8 we finished up filming at Lake James and the Fort William Henry set, mainly the scenes of surrender and the British leaving the fort. For this I got to don the uniform of a French officer for the entire time, serving as the commander of Montcalm's guard detachment during the march-out of the garrison. In ( only ) wide-screen versions I can be seen saluting in the bottom left corner, right below the mounted Montcalm, Levis, and Bougainville.

Image Insert:

44.41KB

In French Officer's Uniform

The night of August 8 was our last night filming, this time in the French Camp, which was located in the wood a little behind the siege lines and downslope nearer the lakeshore; it seems to have been referred to by the crew as Tent City. ( This is probably the area of the current parking lot for the boat ramp. ) Throughout the scene of the interior of Montcalm's marquee, members of the core group in French uniform performed various duties in the camp which was vaguely seen from the interior of the tent. One of our men crawled up into the bed of a wagon and spent the night "unloading" it, while others milled about.

Image Insert:

76.06KB

The first streaks of dawn come through the trees as this long night finally comes to an end!

For me this was the most interesting night I spent there, portraying a French officer at Montcalm's dinner table, in the company of an actor playing Levis. ( I don't remember his name, and strangely, he's not listed in the credits at the end of the film, presumably because he has NO lines. ) During the action, we are joined by another reenactor, Mark Edrys, playing Bouganville. He was cast in a last-minute decision, though his voice was later overdubbed on the voice track. Unfortunately, in finished versions of the film, the backgrounds are so dark and/or the camera angles such that I might as well have "phoned in" my part! I show up briefly in the Enhanced Widescreen - Director's Expanded Edition DVD.

Image Insert:

67.99KB

This is one of my favorite souvenirs, a Polaroid shot, one of literally thousands that must've been taken during the filming. They were used for continuity by departments like props, set dressing, makeup, etc. in case any scenes needed to be duplicated or "matched" at a later date. This is the only one I have from Mohicans, though I have several from the Turner TV Channel's Ironclads. This shows me at right with "Levis" at the head of the table and one of two "servants" standing behind him. Notice the details of the tablecloth, china, silverware, candlabra, wine decanter, stemware, etc., most of which is unseen in the film! The annotations in red identify the location ( "Tent City" ) and scene number. My "work" this night consisted of slowly cutting and eating a chicken that was cooked by the "Food Stylist" who happened to be reenactor Tony Gerard's reenactor girlfriend! ( Unfortunately, her name has been omitted from the credits, too. ) This was the night I got to witness Mann at work "up close and personal" and "share the scene" with Wes Studi and Patrice Chereau as Montcalm.
report to moderator
  Previous Topic: All-new Directors Definitive Cut coming this year! Topic Next Topic: LOTM theme by Royal Scots Dragoon Guards  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
| More
Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Jump To:

Around The Site:
~ What's New? ~
Pathfinding | Mohican Gatherings | Mohican Musings | LOTM Script | History | Musical Musings | Storefronts on the Frontier
Off the Beaten Trail | Links
Of Special Interest:
The Eric Schweig Gallery | From the Ramparts | The Listening Room | Against All Odds | The Video Clips Index

DISCLAIMER
Tune, 40, used by permission - composed by Ron Clarke

Custom Search

The Mohican Board! [Bumppo's Redux!] © 1997-2024 - Mohican Press Go To Top Of Page
Current Mohicanland page raised in 0.2 seconds Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.07