The Mohican Board! [Bumppo's Redux!]
The Mohican Board! [Bumppo's Redux!]
10/10/2024 7:21:28 AM
On the Trail...Home | Old Mohican Board Archives | Purpose
Events | Polls | Photos | Classifieds | Downloads
Profile | Register | Members | Private Messages
Search | Posting Tips | FAQ | Web Links | Mohican Chat | Blogs
Forum Bookmarks | Unanswered Posts | Preview Topic Photos | Active Topics
Invite a Friend to the Mohican Board | Guestbook | Greeting Cards | Auction (0) | Colonial Recipe Book
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 LAST OF THE MOHICANS
 The Last of the Mohicans ...
 Mohican Moment
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
| More
Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic

Author Previous Topic: Finally a blu-ray release in 2010! This is our chance! Topic Next Topic: Thinking of spinning a tale about Hawkeye and Coras later life  

Fitzhugh Williams
Mohicanland Statesman

Bumppo's Patron since [at least]:
July 17 2005

Posted - October 16 2009 :  10:28:41 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I went to Martin's Station last weekend at the Cumberland Gap. Thursday night is was overcast. Not many people had arrived and everything was quiet. When it got dark I took my lantern and headed for the fort by way of a trail that leads through the woods. Someone was staying in one of the outer cabins. They had a fire in the fireplace and a some light was shining through the door. For just a minute I thought I had walked up on the Cameron's cabin!

"Les deux pieds contre la muraille et la tete sous le robinet"
report to moderator

Monadnock Guide
Council of Elders

USA

March 14 2005

Posted - October 17 2009 :  2:32:25 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
How's the price of pelts lately?

you can keep "The Change"
report to moderator Go to Top of Page

richfed
Sachem

King 1
USA

May 13 2002

Administrator

Posted - October 17 2009 :  4:40:59 PM  Show Profile  Visit richfed's Homepage  Click to see richfed's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
Speaking of pelts ... Those of you who have attended Gatherings - back in the early part of this decade - will certainly remember young Nathan "Hawkeye" Whitney. Here's a funny recent little story ---

Apparently, he has this habit of picking up fresh roadkill and then skinning it and tanning the hide to save the pelt. Well, he picked up a "dead" mink the other day and the damn thing attacked him!!!! He had to kill it before he could skin it. Nothing like LIVE road kill!!!!

Wilderness Woman
Watcher of the Wood

Young George Washington
USA

November 27 2002

Donating Member

Posted - October 19 2009 :  12:41:45 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
Seamus has a couple of those "not-so-dead" road kill stories from his days as a wildlife management officer. Right, Seamus? Not necessarily pleasant to have to deal with!

That is a mighty cute little cabin. I wouldn't mind having one of those nicely nestled in a pretty spot in the woods, near a small lake or large pond. It would make a nice little getaway spot.

"It is more deeply stirring to my blood than any imaginings could possibly have been."

Kan-Tuck-EE
Pioneer

Chingachgook

December 31 2008

Posted - October 24 2009 :  10:39:42 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
Just got back from Williamsburg on Monday evening late. We were there about 9 days. We traveled via I 40 through Tennessee up to Bristol TN/VA where we spent the last night then took Hwy 81 north to 64 then on to Williamsburg. Saw some beautiful scenery that looked like your picture and even a few cabins. Took some pics but don't know how to post them here. I do remember seeing some road signs of familiar places like Mansker..is that the place of Mansker's station? Also Blacksburg where I believe Mary Ingles settled after she escaped from the Shawnee who captured her and her children. It was an awesome trip. We saw Colonial Williamsburg, Historical Jamestown, Mt. Vernon, Monticello and Appomattox Court House. Had a ball. Thanks for posting that great picture. I gotta figure out how to post some!

Kan-Tuck-EE
  Previous Topic: Finally a blu-ray release in 2010! This is our chance! Topic Next Topic: Thinking of spinning a tale about Hawkeye and Coras later life  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
| More
Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Jump To:

Around The Site:
~ What's New? ~
Pathfinding | Mohican Gatherings | Mohican Musings | LOTM Script | History | Musical Musings | Storefronts on the Frontier
Off the Beaten Trail | Links
Of Special Interest:
The Eric Schweig Gallery | From the Ramparts | The Listening Room | Against All Odds | The Video Clips Index

DISCLAIMER
Tune, 40, used by permission - composed by Ron Clarke

Custom Search

The Mohican Board! [Bumppo's Redux!] © 1997-2024 - Mohican Press Go To Top Of Page
Current Mohicanland page raised in 0.33 seconds Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.07