The Mohican Board! [Bumppo's Redux!]
The Mohican Board! [Bumppo's Redux!]
10/10/2024 11:28:59 AM
On the Trail...Home | Old Mohican Board Archives | Purpose
Events | Polls | Photos | Classifieds | Downloads
Profile | Register | Members | Private Messages
Search | Posting Tips | FAQ | Web Links | Mohican Chat | Blogs
Forum Bookmarks | Unanswered Posts | Preview Topic Photos | Active Topics
Invite a Friend to the Mohican Board | Guestbook | Greeting Cards | Auction (0) | Colonial Recipe Book
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 LAST OF THE MOHICANS
 The Last of the Mohicans ...
 The 25 Manliest Movies Ever Made
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
| More
Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic

Author Previous Topic: Thinking of spinning a tale about Hawkeye and Coras later life Topic Next Topic: LOTM Stays in the Mind  

BookwormMG
Deerslayer

USA

Bumppo's Patron since [at least]:
August 12 2009

Donating Member

Posted - August 22 2009 :  8:00:25 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Yes, another list, and as arbitrary as all the others. Entertainment Weekly describes the "manliest" movies as "movies with testosterone in their veins." And does LOTM make the list? No, of course not. Hawkeye, Chingachgook, Uncas, Magua, Jack, Soldier #2 -- aren't they the epitome of manliness? Even Duncan and Colonel Munro have their moments. But all that isn't enough testosterone to beat out, oh, "The Thing" with Kurt Russell. I can't argue with "The Great Escape," "The Godfather," "The Magnificent Seven," "The Good, the Bad, and the Ugly," and a few others. But where is "Glory"? "Das Boot"? Why do I even bother looking at these lists? Actually, there is no numerical list, just a series of still photos that aren't ranked, as far as I can see, and the best way to find them might be to just go to www.ew.com and search "manliest movies."

"Glory, glory, hallelujah, welcome to the future!" -- Brad Paisley
report to moderator

Monadnock Guide
Council of Elders

USA

March 14 2005

Posted - August 22 2009 :  8:37:19 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
Ahhh, - yes indeed BW/MG, Das Boot. The "Battle Of The Atlantic" the U-Boat crews were one tough group, (early in the war) highest casualty rate by any country, - approx. 80% fatality rate by wars end. One of the others was the 8th Air Force Heavy Bombardment Group, during their daily light bombing campaign, - about a 38% a fatality rate. 12 O'Clock High comes to mind. Have absolutely no idea about what "The Thing" is all about, - and have less interest in finding out. ;)
Twelve O'Clock High was indeed produced with the full cooperation of the Air Force and made use of actual combat footage during the battle scenes, including some shot by the Luftwaffe.[2] A good deal of the production was filmed at a working air base, Eglin Air Force Base.[3]

Screenwriters Bartlett and Lay drew on their own wartime experiences with Eighth Air Force bomber units. Veterans of the heavy bomber campaign frequently cite Twelve O'Clock High as the only Hollywood film that accurately captured their combat experiences.

you can keep "The Change"
report to moderator Go to Top of Page

Longrifle
Pioneer

April 23 2007

Posted - August 23 2009 :  12:46:40 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
I saw several picks on the list that are not my definition of testosterone laden but at least Gladiator made the list.

Gladiator is the best definition of a movie with testosterone in it's veins that I've ever seen.

"I can't say I was ever lost, but I was bewildered once for three days." - Daniel Boone

richfed
Sachem

King 1
USA

May 13 2002

Administrator

Posted - August 23 2009 :  10:00:50 AM  Show Profile  Visit richfed's Homepage  Click to see richfed's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
Gladiator! Yes! One of my very favorite films.

The Thing???? Geez Louise! That's about some mysterious force that can take on thr appearence of whatever it wishes for evil purposes, isn't it?

Actually, Gettysburg might top my list ... there is hardly a female in that entire movie!

BookwormMG
Deerslayer

USA

August 12 2009

Donating Member

Posted - August 23 2009 :  10:31:09 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
Good point about "Gettysburg" -- I think there are two young women standing by the side of the road as the Union army marches through Maryland, and that's it.

The "manliest 25" list even includes "Aliens," with a comment something like, "So Sigourney Weaver isn't a man, so what?!" With reasoning like that, I guess we can be glad the listmakers didn't include "Lara Croft, Tomb Raider."

"Glory, glory, hallelujah, welcome to the future!" -- Brad Paisley

Irishgirl
Council of Elders

Irish Girl Avatar
USA

February 14 2006

Donating Member

Posted - August 23 2009 :  10:37:26 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
I think they did a great job compilling the list...agree with most of them except for "The Thing" and "Jaws". Of course a couple of those movies I have not seen yet so can't really comment on those ones but happy to see they included "Patton" my hubby's favorite movie...definitely a guy's movie.

IG

blackfootblood
Devoted Tribal Member

homecoming
USA

May 22 2007

Donating Member

Posted - August 23 2009 :  1:08:56 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
Yeah, pretty good list of movies. Alot of those we have on DVD that my husband watches quite a bit. I have to say my two favorites on the list would have to be "Fight-club" and "First Blood". Excellent movies with lots of blood and gore!

"Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass, it's about learning to dance in the rain!"

"Live well, love much, laugh often!"

Irishgirl
Council of Elders

Irish Girl Avatar
USA

February 14 2006

Donating Member

Posted - August 23 2009 :  10:32:52 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
They need to compile alist of the top 25 "manliest men" ever...now that would be something else

IG
  Previous Topic: Thinking of spinning a tale about Hawkeye and Coras later life Topic Next Topic: LOTM Stays in the Mind  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
| More
Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Jump To:

Around The Site:
~ What's New? ~
Pathfinding | Mohican Gatherings | Mohican Musings | LOTM Script | History | Musical Musings | Storefronts on the Frontier
Off the Beaten Trail | Links
Of Special Interest:
The Eric Schweig Gallery | From the Ramparts | The Listening Room | Against All Odds | The Video Clips Index

DISCLAIMER
Tune, 40, used by permission - composed by Ron Clarke

Custom Search

The Mohican Board! [Bumppo's Redux!] © 1997-2024 - Mohican Press Go To Top Of Page
Current Mohicanland page raised in 0.29 seconds Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.07