The Mohican Board! [Bumppo's Redux!]
The Mohican Board! [Bumppo's Redux!]
10/10/2024 11:29:18 AM
On the Trail...Home | Old Mohican Board Archives | Purpose
Events | Polls | Photos | Classifieds | Downloads
Profile | Register | Members | Private Messages
Search | Posting Tips | FAQ | Web Links | Mohican Chat | Blogs
Forum Bookmarks | Unanswered Posts | Preview Topic Photos | Active Topics
Invite a Friend to the Mohican Board | Guestbook | Greeting Cards | Auction (0) | Colonial Recipe Book
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 LAST OF THE MOHICANS
 The Last of the Mohicans ...
 A question of a different kind....
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
| More
Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Next Page

Author Previous Topic: Screencaps Topic Next Topic: Into Mohicans!
Page: of 2

RedFraggle
Mohicanite

Redhead

Bumppo's Patron since [at least]:
October 13 2006

Posted - November 03 2006 :  07:52:12 AM  Show Profile  Visit RedFraggle's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Okay. I know we all love "LOTM," or we wouldn't have joined this site, right? So here's a question of a different kind.

What is your most UNfavorite scene in the movie?

Think critically and creatively, and don't threaten to burn me over any Huron fires or anything. I'm just curious. I know we all love the movie, but are there any scenes that any of you could do without?

I'll answer my own question to get things started.

Survey says: my most UNfavorite scene is the added speech of Chingachgook at the end of the Director's Cut. Totally ruined the ending for me. The ending of the VHS version was so powerul (I thought) with the last line being "I, Chingachgook, last of the Mohicans." In my opinion, this line helped bring to the foreground the situation of the Native Americans at this point in history, when the Brits and French were fighting over a land they didn't own, and forcing all the natives out---a major theme in Cooper's novel, by the way. The new last line ("But we were here once") is just cheezy to me. It doesn't leave me with the same feeling that a real tragedy has just occurred.

But that's just me. Anyone else...?
report to moderator

Lotte
Pathfinder

United Kingdom

August 08 2006

Posted - November 03 2006 :  12:24:25 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
I think it's a shame in the canoe chase scene where it jumps from one shot of the smaller waterfall to another shot of the much larger waterfall, which has a much poorer picture quality. This makes the jump from one to the other rather obvious and abrupt, and even though it helps to show how the canoes went over the waterfall and how they took refuge under the waterfall, it is still quite disappointing to watch.

Needless to say the disappointment at such a minute bit of the film is soon forgotten...

"The whole world's on fire, isn't it?"
report to moderator Go to Top of Page

Obediah
Mohicanland Statesman

Skull 5
USA

August 16 2006

Donating Member

Posted - November 03 2006 :  1:52:06 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
Possibly my least favorite scene is when Cora is talking to Nathaniel while he's in the gaol. Somehow that totally passive Hawkeye just sets my teeth on edge.

Light of the Moon
Mohicanland Statesman

Car in Fog
USA

December 18 2004

Posted - November 04 2006 :  12:33:06 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
I have three. You said get creative so I did. No offense to anyone just having a good ol' time!

#1 - Is the escape from the massacar and you see a NA man with Uncas and company. Where did he come from? Made no sense to me but I guess someone had to die and it couldn't be Duncan,well...not yet anyway. It would totally kill the thrill of watching him get shot in the head!

#2 - The canoe chase across the river...booooring. I have to fast forward it everytime.

#3 - Alice's bad hair day at the burnt out Cameron's place. Can you say ruff-ruff, pant, pant, pant, pant. Yep, that gets under my skin every time! And then the Bimbo didn't even have to decency to fall, uh...I mean jump into the falls so us Uncas loving die hards could have something to laugh about!

I live in my own little world - but that's okay, they know me here!

Irishgirl
Council of Elders

Irish Girl Avatar
USA

February 14 2006

Donating Member

Posted - November 07 2006 :  3:32:47 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
My answer may surprise a lot of people since they know I am not a fan of Duncan and would think I would love watching this scene because of that fact. My least favorite scene is Duncan being dragged away to the BBQ Pit to be roasted and then him crying out in agony as the flames start to ravage his body. I do feel sorry for him and feel relief when Hawkeye puts him "out of his misery" with one quick shot. There you have it folks my least favorite scene.

Not too fond of the scene of Uncas getting stabbed in the side and the blood hitting his face and then Magua throws him off the cliff and we see him fall to his death but that is a necessary scene. Just hate to see Uncas die every time. Always feels like I am watching it for the first time. I know it is coming and I dread it but I have to sit through it anyway.

IG

paazau
Colonial Settler

Australia

March 11 2006

Posted - November 09 2006 :  7:29:09 PM  Show Profile  Send paazau a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
Hi guys!

Found a minute to visit the board and just had to reply to this. Great question RedFraggle!

I have three UNfavourite scenes. They are:

1 - When Duncan arrives in Albany and speaks to Webb. Continuing on through his tea party on the lawn with Cora. Too boring!!

2 - When Montcalm goes to the forest to talk to Magua. The info you get from Magua and Montcalm is interesting, but the whole scene just does nothing for me.

3 - When Montcalm and Munro parlay outside the fort - in particular when Munro takes his two officers aside to chat to them about Montcalm's offer.

I think I now know why I don't like these scenes!! No Uncas or Hawkeye in any of them!!!

"You do not know what you're saying girl!"
"Yes I do, I know exactly what I am saying, and if it is sedition, then I am guilty of sedition too!"

MeggieD
Colonial Settler

Megs Avatar
USA

January 23 2006

Posted - November 11 2006 :  11:01:27 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by Irishgirl

Not too fond of the scene of Uncas getting stabbed in the side and the blood hitting his face and then Magua throws him off the cliff and we see him fall to his death but that is a necessary scene. Just hate to see Uncas die every time. Always feels like I am watching it for the first time. I know it is coming and I dread it but I have to sit through it anyway.

Now that's funny, cause I STILL think that blood splattering his chin is brilliant....

OK, my least favorite scene is the brief scene of Duncan in the carriage on the way to meet Cora.....I'm sorry I just find that scene terribly boring..oh, and the next few scenes of them sitting at the table drinking tea is rather a snoozer too....And Alice's "Big Adventure!" makes me want to pull my ears off with pliers....huh?

Uncas: "some food"

Light of the Moon
Mohicanland Statesman

Car in Fog
USA

December 18 2004

Posted - November 11 2006 :  3:17:30 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
MEGGIED!!!! At long last you have returned! We've missed your posts girl! Nice to hear from you again!

MeggieD
Colonial Settler

Megs Avatar
USA

January 23 2006

Posted - November 12 2006 :  6:00:45 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by Light of the Moon

MEGGIED!!!! At long last you have returned! We've missed your posts girl! Nice to hear from you again!

Thanks Light...it's nice to know I've been missed.....

Uncas: "some food"

Ridgerunner
Pathfinder

USA

November 12 2006

Posted - November 12 2006 :  7:26:08 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
I can't think of any most "unfavorite" scene...all seemed to to tie in
so well & the music created the perfect feeling for each scene.

My favorite movie by far...about one of my favorite periods in History.

Light of the Moon
Mohicanland Statesman

Car in Fog
USA

December 18 2004

Posted - November 13 2006 :  3:15:42 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by Ridgerunner

I can't think of any most "unfavorite" scene...all seemed to to tie in
so well & the music created the perfect feeling for each scene.

My favorite movie by far...about one of my favorite periods in History.

Here - here!

Light of the Moon
Mohicanland Statesman

Car in Fog
USA

December 18 2004

Posted - December 18 2006 :  10:36:19 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
I'm not posting for any specific reason here, I'm just trying to catch up with Irishgirl the DeerSlayer

(It's on girl!)
By the way...you may be ahead but I am the site's top poster!

(Although it is kinda' sad and embarassing to admit Irish has only been here since 2006 and I've been around since 2004! Shame on me!!!)

RedFraggle
Mohicanite

Redhead

October 13 2006

Posted - December 18 2006 :  10:47:24 AM  Show Profile  Visit RedFraggle's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
So that makes 2 years and counting for your obsession--I mean, romance--with Uncas?

And just you wait, Light! Once I singlehandedly kill ALL threads on this site I'LL be the top poster! Mu ha ha ha ha!

Light of the Moon
Mohicanland Statesman

Car in Fog
USA

December 18 2004

Posted - December 18 2006 :  10:50:07 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
Yes...it's sad but true.
On the bright side I did add Ching to the list!

Obediah
Mohicanland Statesman

Skull 5
USA

August 16 2006

Donating Member

Posted - December 18 2006 :  12:31:45 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by Light of the Moon

..... SNIPPED .....

By the way...you may be ahead but I am the site's top poster!

..... SNIPPED ..... Shame on me!!!)

Well, I guess there are 2 opposing viewpoints here:

1) "Quality, not quantity"

-- OR --

2) "Quantity has a quality all its own." (V.I. Lenin)

Take your choice... But I'm sure everyone agrees with your "shame" statement!

Dancer
Pioneer

Chieftain
USA

November 29 2006

Posted - December 18 2006 :  6:22:52 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
Hmmm my least favorite scene. Ok let me start off by saying that the additional ending with Ching absolutely pulled at my heart. It was ghostly, sad, and a pull of the mind. I loved it!!! Now for the least favorite... The whole Albany scene was a huge yawn but it does kind of set up the movie a bit, the surrender meeting with the French...again, needed but boooooring! I'm sure there are more but those are the main two off of the top of my head.

"I teach the dance...the passion is yours to find."

Light of the Moon
Mohicanland Statesman

Car in Fog
USA

December 18 2004

Posted - December 18 2006 :  7:57:08 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by Obediah

quote:

Take your choice... But I'm sure everyone agrees with your "shame" statement!

Ha - Ha- Ha! You're asking for it again, Obi!
As for my obsession...it's not as bad as those who have had one since the movie came out in 1992 and I KNOW they are out there, they've even admitted to it on other threads!
So...Yippie! I'm not alone!!!

Light of the Moon
Mohicanland Statesman

Car in Fog
USA

December 18 2004

Posted - December 18 2006 :  8:00:15 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
Sorry y'all it posted my response twice again.
Either I don't know what I'm doing or I don't know what's going on!

Dancer
Pioneer

Chieftain
USA

November 29 2006

Posted - December 19 2006 :  08:13:32 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
I am not a closet case Uncas lover! I say it with pride....I have been obsessed with the man since I first saw the movie! I have no shame!!!!!!

Light of the Moon
Mohicanland Statesman

Car in Fog
USA

December 18 2004

Posted - December 19 2006 :  10:33:55 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
What about you Obi? Gonna' fess up?

Obediah
Mohicanland Statesman

Skull 5
USA

August 16 2006

Donating Member

Posted - December 19 2006 :  11:23:30 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
'Fess up? About what?

If you mean--does seeing others have an obsession about someone (and a fictional person at that) set my teeth on edge, yes.

If you mean--do I attempt to bring a little balance to some of these obsessive threads by taking the opposite tack, yes.

If you mean--do I watch very carefully what I post so as not to really insult anyone, yes.

If you mean--do I rag on you personally, LOTM, oh yeah.

From this day on I will post nothing more about Chingachgook's son.

RedFraggle
Mohicanite

Redhead

October 13 2006

Posted - December 19 2006 :  11:27:52 AM  Show Profile  Visit RedFraggle's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
I'll believe it when I see it....

Obediah
Mohicanland Statesman

Skull 5
USA

August 16 2006

Donating Member

Posted - December 19 2006 :  11:35:37 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
Red, you're about as obnoxious as Moon or IG, and I mean that sincerely!

Dancer
Pioneer

Chieftain
USA

November 29 2006

Posted - December 19 2006 :  1:00:20 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
Obi still can't utter the name UNCAS!!!!!!!! Too funny!

RedFraggle
Mohicanite

Redhead

October 13 2006

Posted - December 19 2006 :  2:32:59 PM  Show Profile  Visit RedFraggle's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
quote:

Why, thank you, Obi. I'll take that as a compliment!

Irishgirl
Council of Elders

Irish Girl Avatar
USA

February 14 2006

Donating Member

Posted - December 19 2006 :  3:22:12 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
quote:

Why thank you Obi too kind

IG
Page: of 2 Previous Topic: Screencaps Topic Next Topic: Into Mohicans!  
Next Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
| More
Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Jump To:

Around The Site:
~ What's New? ~
Pathfinding | Mohican Gatherings | Mohican Musings | LOTM Script | History | Musical Musings | Storefronts on the Frontier
Off the Beaten Trail | Links
Of Special Interest:
The Eric Schweig Gallery | From the Ramparts | The Listening Room | Against All Odds | The Video Clips Index

DISCLAIMER
Tune, 40, used by permission - composed by Ron Clarke

Custom Search

The Mohican Board! [Bumppo's Redux!] © 1997-2024 - Mohican Press Go To Top Of Page
Current Mohicanland page raised in 0.44 seconds Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.07