The Mohican Board! [Bumppo's Redux!]
The Mohican Board! [Bumppo's Redux!]
10/10/2024 12:18:36 AM
On the Trail...Home | Old Mohican Board Archives | Purpose
Events | Polls | Photos | Classifieds | Downloads
Profile | Register | Members | Private Messages
Search | Posting Tips | FAQ | Web Links | Mohican Chat | Blogs
Forum Bookmarks | Unanswered Posts | Preview Topic Photos | Active Topics
Invite a Friend to the Mohican Board | Guestbook | Greeting Cards | Auction (0) | Colonial Recipe Book
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 LAST OF THE MOHICANS
 The Last of the Mohicans ...
 Language buffs! Untranslated dialog Magua+Sachem
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
| More
Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic

Author Previous Topic: A Breed Apart and Make No Sense Topic Next Topic: Albany  

lilyvonstudt
Pathfinder

Bumppo's Patron since [at least]:
May 04 2008

Posted - September 14 2008 :  11:59:33 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Anyone has any idea as to the meaning of the untranslated dialog spoken by Magua (holding the torch, in the cave, talking with the Sachem as the scene cuts to Hawkeye entering the camp, cutting back from Hawkeye to Magua) and the line from the Sachem after Hawkeye says "did you tell him?". I undertook some research in Cherokee and Mohican (youtube videos) but remain pretty much clueless.

Also, could anyone tell me am I correct here? In the huron camp scene when the camera cuts from Magua to Hawkeye, I swear Wes says something about someone's father, which to me sounds like "neh'do" (don't know the spelling but I heard someone say it in Cherokee (don't know whether eastern or western) and it translated itself as "father").

I appreciate that Mann's intention was to leave viewers in the dark about what was said, so I should just leave it at that. But it's frustrating me ! If anyone can help, many thanks.

report to moderator

James N.
Colonial Militia

James N
USA

October 24 2007

Posted - September 23 2008 :  8:14:19 PM  Show Profile  Send James N. a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
Lily, if you'll read the very long but interesting interview in the "Mohican Musings" section of this site with the now-deceased actor ( sorry I don't remember his name! ) who played the Sachem, he finally talks at some length about his dialogue with Magua. He said that it is in Cherokee, since they both spoke it, and that it's largely improvised between them. Unfortunately I don't remember how much he said about its content. Hope this was of some help.
report to moderator Go to Top of Page

lilyvonstudt
Pathfinder

May 04 2008

Posted - September 24 2008 :  01:06:59 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
James N, thanks for that. I think (cannot be certain, to me he is difficult to understand) he says that his dialog is in Mohawk, not Cherokee. One thing of which I can be sure, however, is that in directing me back to the interview, you helped me find the answer to what said the Sachem; "take that man". So, thanks .

James N.
Colonial Militia

James N
USA

October 24 2007

Posted - September 25 2008 :  7:23:28 PM  Show Profile  Send James N. a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
Lily, now that you've corrected me, maybe it's Magua's reply that's in Cherokee. I remembered something in that long, rambling interview about him and Wes discussing their dialog; and him advising Wes to answer in Cherokee, since he spoke it conversationally. At least I think that's right; I probably need to go back and reread it too!

Light of the Moon
Mohicanland Statesman

Car in Fog
USA

December 18 2004

Posted - September 30 2008 :  11:08:11 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
Well, now you both have me curious...can someone please post the translation?

I live in my own little world - but that's okay, they know me here!

lilyvonstudt
Pathfinder

May 04 2008

Posted - October 05 2008 :  10:53:17 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
Not me, sadly. I put the same question to the folks of the Studi board, but no luck. At this rate I'm going to have to ask the Keetowah Cherokee nation themselves! Somehow I doubt they'll be very compliant lol!

Light of the Moon
Mohicanland Statesman

Car in Fog
USA

December 18 2004

Posted - October 06 2008 :  1:43:20 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
Why wouldn't they be? I've always had tremendous cooperation from the NA councils.

I live in my own little world - but that's okay, they know me here!

lilyvonstudt
Pathfinder

May 04 2008

Posted - October 06 2008 :  11:00:03 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by Light of the Moon

Why wouldn't they be? I've always had tremendous cooperation from the NA councils.

I have previous experience of untranslated dialog in several films which I asked other people of those languages that they help me translate. Only small parts, so no hassle to those people and nothing that would require a significant amount of time and thus payment. One of the parties did not so much as give me a response, and the other said that the dialog was deliberately not translated so why was I bothering to ask them. Then there was someone who said I was "wasting his time". True, it's erroneous to tar everyone with the same brush, but since my previous experiences were negative I don't hold out much hope. I was getting the (possibly erroneous) impression that with the NA's their language and its secrets may be a touchy subject when it comes to non native speakers wanting in? Hope that didn't sound racist by the way! What I'm worried of is that I would email the Keetoowah council and they are offended, then reply with something like "we're a council, not a translation service". It would just leave a bad feeling.

That said, I'm perfectly willing to accept that I was simply unlucky with the other people.

Light, I'm glad to hear that your experiences were good, and this does encourage me to try. I think I'm going to have to anyway, regardless!
  Previous Topic: A Breed Apart and Make No Sense Topic Next Topic: Albany  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
| More
Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Jump To:

Around The Site:
~ What's New? ~
Pathfinding | Mohican Gatherings | Mohican Musings | LOTM Script | History | Musical Musings | Storefronts on the Frontier
Off the Beaten Trail | Links
Of Special Interest:
The Eric Schweig Gallery | From the Ramparts | The Listening Room | Against All Odds | The Video Clips Index

DISCLAIMER
Tune, 40, used by permission - composed by Ron Clarke

Custom Search

The Mohican Board! [Bumppo's Redux!] © 1997-2024 - Mohican Press Go To Top Of Page
Current Mohicanland page raised in 0.27 seconds Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.07